U CONN and Big 10.... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

U CONN and Big 10....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really don't get this comment. If UVA (or Va Tech) went to the SEC, they'd bring an opening in to the DC market as well as the 4 other TV markets in the Commonwealth. If it's UVA and UNC, it would give the SEC a presence in every one of the southeastern states. The SEC would love to get into VA and NC. With the impending SEC Network, I'd think the SEC would want to expand its TV footprint.

Personally, I think Va. Tech is a better fit for the SEC than Virginia. As far as NC goes, because of the fact you have UNC and NCSU under the auspices of the same state authority, it would have to be both or neither. I just don't think the SEC is that interested in any of those schools. Let's face it, football is driving this train and except for an occasional good year here and there for Va. Tech, those schools don't cut it at the SEC level. Football is why UConn isn't going anywhere for a while. The program needs to be built up at least to where it was in the Edsall era.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think Va. Tech is a better fit for the SEC than Virginia. As far as NC goes, because of the fact you have UNC and NCSU under the auspices of the same state authority, it would have to be both or neither. I just don't think the SEC is that interested in any of those schools. Let's face it, football is driving this train and except for an occasional good year here and there for Va. Tech, those schools don't cut it at the SEC level. Football is why UConn isn't going anywhere for a while. The program needs to be built up at least to where it was in the Edsall era.

The SEC just invited Missouri, which has been bad at football when compared to Va. Tech.

It's all about markets. Recruiting territory.

Reaction Score
I can't understand all this Missouri talk. First, the school is now relevant in sports when it hasn't been relevant since Norm Stewart. Football has had a huge overhaul. Do they want to lose this by going to the B1G? For what? And, the kind of money they'd lose in a graduated B1G program (i.e. Maryland and Rutgers and even PSU and Nebraska had to buy in) is a huge amount of cash.

It is not going to happen.

Missouri leave the SEC????

They are riding high right now, contending for the conference championship game!!!

They have yet to capitalize on their on the field success and status as a competitive SEC team. Why would they even think of moving??

I agree here.

Reaction Score
Agree with Fishy.

A few additional thoughts ...

The powers that be in the B1G and BTN, when discussing expansion of the conference, have continued to focus on the East coast even after the ACC GOR. Granted this in relation to welcoming Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G and bringing the B1G, as a 14 member league, to the East coast. However, the focus remains building a presence in the East coast.

I think for the time being the powers that be in the B1G and BTN believe this presence can be achieved by bringing Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska football and Indiana, Michigan State basketball to the region by way of Maryland and Rutgers. Of course, all of you have and can continue to better articulate than me how achieving a significant presence in New York and New England without additional universities from these areas will be a challenge especially with basketball given the new ACC line up and continued presence of the Big East.

Despite the ACC GOR, it seems to me that the B1G is still focused on the East coast and that if and when further B1G expansion occurs, although likely not soon, universities in the East will remain a target. The casual B1G fan will clamor for a football add but, I suspect for Delany, Silverman and the B1G presidents, universities that provide academic excellence, commitment to research, population, and opportunities for other programming such as basketball, hockey and lacrosse will take precedent.

Not sure what the casual B1G fan would clamor for, however, with the way things are shaping up for the undefeated Ohio State football team right now - possibly finishing undefeated and locked out of the big game due to a weak conference football schedule - the ardent B1G fans would be highly against any expansion options that would dilute their conference football power ranking even further.

If OSU gets locked out, you can be sure Delaney won't be worrying about his commitment to lacrosse.

Reaction Score
Not sure what the casual B1G fan would clamor for, however, with the way things are shaping up for the undefeated Ohio State football team right now - possibly finishing undefeated and locked out of the big game due to a weak conference football schedule - the ardent B1G fans would be highly against any expansion options that would dilute their conference football power ranking even further.

If OSU gets locked out, you can be sure Delaney won't be worrying about his commitment to lacrosse.
Unfortunately the dilution of the B1G football product is directly tied to these 2 things among others:
1) PSU Sanctions- The sanctions leveled against PSU are starting to show...and will only get worse.
2) Nebraska- When Nebraska left the B-12 for the B1G they in a sense left a VERY fertile recruiting ground in the state of TX. It is not a coincidence that teams like Baylor, Texas Tech and Houston have had more success on the field in recent years.

Reaction Score
Not sure what the casual B1G fan would clamor for, however, with the way things are shaping up for the undefeated Ohio State football team right now - possibly finishing undefeated and locked out of the big game due to a weak conference football schedule - the ardent B1G fans would be highly against any expansion options that would dilute their conference football power ranking even further. If OSU gets locked out, you can be sure Delaney won't be worrying about his commitment to lacrosse.

Yes. It would be ideal for the B1G to expand with universities that are football brands and will improve the strength of schedule. Who?
Texas and Oklahoma have the Big 12 GOR and instate schools (Texas Tech, Oklahoma State) that some think would prevent a move and the B1G would never accept these schools.
Florida State has the ACC GOR and the FSU posters will tell you that Florida State has no interest in joining the B1G.
There are no football brands in the SEC, such as AAU member Florida, that would ever leave for the B1G.
Notre Dame will never join the B1G.
It may be that the B1G truly has no interest in further expansion but if expansion is still desired by Delany there is no football brand available and universities that can provide other benefits to the B1G will need to be considered.

Reaction Score
LOL. Stay away from the Virginia kids. I expect the Virginia schools now to out recruit Maryland in Maryland. What kid from Maryland wants to play in Minnesota? We'll find out that the answer is few.

I do respect Maryland's NCAA championship total. It does impress. Rutgers has not been relevant in College Athletics in over half a century in any sport including the big boys? or the "lesser" ones. None.
Neither is yo m*** or anything you say relevant!

Reaction Score
Actually VT seems to be MUCH more popular in Va and Delmarva than the Cavaliers in numbers of fan's and FB pedigree!Over the last 10 years I've heard little or no buzz about anyone but VT in FB and VCU in hoop's out of that area?I hear UVa's HC is on the hotseat this year even with his excellent recruiting?

Reaction Score

My guess is there will be at least three undefeated teams this year. FSU, Oregon and tOSU. I think Bama looses one game, but is still a great team. In this scenario one undefeated team is left out. Someone will be mad, but that is what it is.

I think the ideal scenario for the B1G is Tex and OU. I don't think they are possible so what is the next best scenario? Who can become a power house in both FB and BB? UConn in available and has the BB side covered, but can FB grow to be a top 25 team consistently? Maryland can with the right coach because of location. Rutgers could with the right coach because of location.

Without the "Homerun" the 15th and 16th teams need to be a perfect combination of location, academics and under achieving potential in athletics. If you going to bet the house on a growth stock, you better eliminate as many variables as possible. The GOR has eliminated a few of these. UVA is a perfect combination of location, academics and potential. They however want to be in the ACC more than the B1G so check them off the list. UK won't leave the SEC. Vandy won't leave the SEC. Mizzu has been told a number of times no so they would have to swallow a lot of pride and for what gain? Nothing.

I think UConn could be 16 if a 15 was ever found and the UT/OU dream doesn't come through.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
On the flip side, we almost got to put a hand under the ACC's bra while the Big Ten is three grades older than us and has shown no indication that they know we exist. (She likes to date guys who drive IROC's, apparently.)

UConn has IROC's. Look at the paint scheme. Totally UConn.

chevrolet-camaro-iroc-z-z28-02.jpg

Reaction Score

I didn't say UVA was the better choice. In fact, I mention VA Tech in my reply to point out that either school would give the SEC Network an foothold in DC and the rest of the VA markets. I've spent a lot of time in VA. Outside of Clemson and FSU, Va Tech provides the most SEC-like game day experience. If I were the SEC, I'd take the Hokies as well.

As for UNC, you are crazy if you don't think the SEC would want UNC. They are a collegiate blue blood. There's no guarantee that in-state politics would handcuff UNC to NC State. As I said before, the new SEC Network would love to pull the DC, VA & NC markets into its fold.

With all of this being said, UNC prefers the ACC right now & they are the biggest lynchpin that holds the ACC together.

Reaction Score
I assure you that they have television sets in Virginia.

They even have indoor plumbing there these days.

My brother in law is in a c level position at UVA medical center. It's very nice there and they have cable too.

Reaction Score
In the end, at least the ACC is going to need us. The SEC can wreck the ACC in the snap of a finger. The Big 12 can then probably lure Pitt, etc.

Given that, the B1G (and maybe the Big 12) or bust.

Reaction Score
You miss the basic point. There is nothing to be gained by the SEC if they add UVA, nothing. They are lucky to be where they are in the ACC.

The South Eastern Conference has no presence in two south eastern states. Sounds to me like the SEC does have something to gain by entering North Carolina and Virginia. Let's see, access to two large and growing markets, frustrate a B1G move into their territory, chop down competition from the ACC.

Reaction Score
North Carolina's the pearl and UV will follow their lead!It's been a long time between drink's in FB and BB for UVa! Seem's VT has become the prize/flagbearer it's been so long for UVa.

Reaction Score
Mizzo makes sense in the ‘near term’ if the B1G needs to get to 16 schools for the next TV contract in 2015 and if the B1G had abandoned tit’s southeast expansion plan, i.e. UVA, UNC & G Tech out of the ACC, due to the GOR and now believes that the XII is conference most likely to collapse and wants a land bridge to Texas (or at least Oklahoma).

Just one ACC'ers opinion, but, Jim Delany can abandon the B1G's southeastward expansion. I really believe that both UNC and UVA listened to what he was offering, but, decided to stay and solidify the ACC. Now, if he had proposed going to 20 teams, and, bringing Clemson, Ga Tech, and, FSU along, it might've been a different story.

One question I have not seen raised is how would the SEC respond to the B1G luring Mizzo over? Would they seek revenge and go after a B1G team or simply shrug it off and add a school to get back to 14 (West Virginia, Louisville, etc.)?

The SEC passed on WVU, because they really do not add much in the way of TV sets and eyeballs for the league. And, since they already have Kentucky, they would pass on Louisville.

I reaally think that they might've taken a hard look at Oklahoma, or, Kansas. OU would probably be a no-go, on the count of Oklahoma State. But, KU might possibly be able to free itself from KSU. I know Wichita is the lone major metro area in KS, but, to be honest, Kansas City is a KU town, even though its in Missouri.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest people. After this football season, we have a lot of work to do before any real conference will consider taking us in. A visit to the final four by both our basketball teams would help to minimize the damage (co-national championships would be even better!), but we really dug ourselves a deep hole this season and it will take time before we climb out of it.

An ACC invite would help with recruiting. Because you'd have instant access into the Carolinas, GA, FL, and VA, all of which are good HSFB recruiting grounds. On top of what you already have in-state, in NJ, and, NY. UConn FB could recover a lot quicker being a member of a P5 league.

Reaction Score
I do think the snub by the B1G will weigh on Missouri. They clearly preferred the Big Ten to the SEC. If you know antything about Mizzou, you would realize that it is pretty deeply connected to Chicago. They get a lot of kids from Chicago, always have. Plus St. Louis views itself as a little Chicago. The state of Missouri, has some southern connections, but those stem from Springfield and the Ozarks.

When Norm Stewart was their BB coach, he also recruited Detroit heavily. Missouri fits the B1G like a glove, but, this last snub might stick in their craw enough to make them say no. But, thats no guarantee, either.

UVA and UNC aren't going anywhere. They correctly realized that they are in the demographic sweet spot and were best served shoring up the ACC rather than being after thoughts in the B1G. The ACC is likely to trend up, even in football, from here on out.

I agree. With how the league is laid out now, its in a really good position going forward. Adding UConn ties up the east coast, and, makes it 100 percent THE dominant conference in basketball. Football is getting better, and, I only see it improving from here on.

The only mover at this point is the Big 12, and they seem to be sitting tight, since UConn is pretty lousy fit for them. The ACC called that correctly, and effectively froze us and Cinci out by taking Louisville from the Big 12. If UConn got the ACC call, I think Cinci and UL are in the Big 12 at this point.

Again, agree. Although, I still believe Swofford is working behind the scenes to sell UConn to the FB schools in the ACC.

Just call me an eternal optimist. :)

Reaction Score
UNC would have the same issue with the SEC that UVA would have, in fact worse because UNC sponsors more sports than UVA does with Fencing, Gymnastics, etc. I think the SEC sponsors Gymnastics. The SEC does not sponsor Men's Soccer, Men's and Women's Lacrosse, Field Hockey, Wrestling, or Rowing. The ACC sponsors all of these sports and will probably add Fencing now that Notre Dame is in.

I hope one of the negotiations for Division 4 will be to require the SEC to add sports. It makes sense for Alabama to lower Nick Sabon's salary from $7 million per year to $2 million per year and add Men's Soccer. Makes sense to me anyway. That conference is too rigged for football. I actually like the other sports too, and they will be what carry a television network.

You can forget that. The SEC will not allow any governing body to force them to divert money from FB to add other sports. Least of all, sports like soccer and lacrosse.

Other than FB and baseball, the SECN is going to find it tough sledding during the winter. I mean, you can only show the USCar-UGA football game so many times in rerun before people lose interest.

About, Carolina, most of what drove so many UNC fans to demand the SEC was the thought of NCSU getting an SEC invite. To them, that would essentially relegate UNC FB to 2nd class status in its this state forevermore. Which game is going to draw more interest in NC...UNC vs Michigan, or, NCSU vs UGA? To me, its a tossup, but, that group will tell you that the NCS-UGA game would.

JMHO, but, I have no desire to see Carolina in a midwestern-based conference, even with UVA joining us. The new east coast conference they're building now is going to be a big success. If we can get UConn, then its Katy bar the door.

Reaction Score
You can forget that. The SEC will not allow any governing body to force them to divert money from FB to add other sports. Least of all, sports like soccer and lacrosse.

Other than FB and baseball, the SECN is going to find it tough sledding during the winter. I mean, you can only show the USCar-UGA football game so many times in rerun before people lose interest.

About, Carolina, most of what drove so many UNC fans to demand the SEC was the thought of NCSU getting an SEC invite. To them, that would essentially relegate UNC FB to 2nd class status in its this state forevermore. Which game is going to draw more interest in NC...UNC vs Michigan, or, NCSU vs UGA? To me, its a tossup, but, that group will tell you that the NCS-UGA game would.

JMHO, but, I have no desire to see Carolina in a midwestern-based conference, even with UVA joining us. The new east coast conference they're building now is going to be a big success. If we can get UConn, then its Katy bar the door.

We're on the same page. I like the makeup of the ACC, the geography of the ACC, and the strategy of the ACC. Because of demographics, it has all the potential to evolve into the perennial number 2 football conference behind only the SEC (it's recognized as number 3 in 2013 behind the SEC and PAC 12) and the perennial number 1 basketball conference. It is already the perennial number 1 soccer and lacrosse conference. It is arguably equal to the SEC as the number 1 baseball conference, but without more titles I'd have to put the ACC at number 2. The ACC will not be the number 1 Ice Hockey Conference. The Big Ten and Hockey East can challenge for that.

As for the SEC football thing. There are some Hokies that have that dream, but they change their mind when you remind them that they've been to 5 BCS bowls in the past decade. Why would they want to go to the SEC and be like South Carolina or Arkansas who have been to Zero BCS bowls and are never a threat to ever go to one? NC State hasn't been to any in the ACC, but they do at least have a chance. In the SEC, there would be no chance. If they want to play an SEC team, schedule South Carolina or Tennessee like they have recently.

Reaction Score
I see the ACC fans are back on the ACC Network will be here any day now trail....:confused:

Please go discuss this on your own boards

Reaction Score
We're on the same page. I like the makeup of the ACC, the geography of the ACC, and the strategy of the ACC. Because of demographics, it has all the potential to evolve into the perennial number 2 football conference behind only the SEC (it's recognized as number 3 in 2013 behind the SEC and PAC 12) and the perennial number 1 basketball conference. It is already the perennial number 1 soccer and lacrosse conference. It is arguably equal to the SEC as the number 1 baseball conference, but without more titles I'd have to put the ACC at number 2. The ACC will not be the number 1 Ice Hockey Conference. The Big Ten and Hockey East can challenge for that.

As for the SEC football thing. There are some Hokies that have that dream, but they change their mind when you remind them that they've been to 5 BCS bowls in the past decade. Why would they want to go to the SEC and be like South Carolina or Arkansas who have been to Zero BCS bowls and are never a threat to ever go to one? NC State hasn't been to any in the ACC, but they do at least have a chance. In the SEC, there would be no chance. If they want to play an SEC team, schedule South Carolina or Tennessee like they have recently.

I can't understand how you can like the ACC strategy when Swofford let the B1G into Maryland and New Jersey/York. Delany swallowed up Rutgers and Maryland while Swofford played pitty-pat with Pitt and Cuse. The ACC could have owned the upper Atlantic coast and there would have been little the B1G could have done about it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yeah, but as of recently, Mizzou has been playing better. Plus, who's going to take Nebraska? The Pac-12?

I need some clarification here. A poster who constantly praises the importance of Yale as a football power in 1907 believes that Missouri is now more important as a football school than Nebraska. How is this possible?

Reaction Score
I can't understand how you can like the ACC strategy when Swofford let the B1G into Maryland and New Jersey/York. Delany swallowed up Rutgers and Maryland while Swofford played pitty-pat with Pitt and Cuse. The ACC could have owned the upper Atlantic coast and there would have been little the B1G could have done about it.

No one owns the upper Atlantic Coast. It is dominated by professional sports. The Big Ten is going to discover this and probably already has. The Big Ten gained two financially troubled Athletic Departments. That's not going to change. The ACC replaced one of them with a thriving athletic department, and also added Notre Dame, Pitt, and Syracuse as you suggest. Maryland left a hole in the Mid Atlantic for the ACC, but Temple is available to return presence there if the ACC wants to do that in a bigger market than Maryland vacated. The Big Ten doesn't need Temple. It's not clear that the ACC wants to do that. Rutgers I've discussed earlier. Newark Nick is tired of hearing about it and leaves nasty notes every time I discuss it. Neither will turn into another Penn State football fan base just because they are in the Big Ten.

I do think that the ACC should invite UConn. The upper Atlantic is not a College Football bastion. It is not going to be returned to one because of demographics. It is a College Basketball bastion which the ACC cares about. That's why I like UConn and could accept Temple. I think that the ACC can excel in both football and basketball at the same time with its Southern Members thriving in football and the Northern ones in basketball consistently with the occasional crossover like Miami winning basketball last season or Maryland winning football in 2001 or Virginia Tech winning on occasion. I thnk it will work to make the ACC a very successful conference in both sports.

Reaction Score
No one owns the upper Atlantic Coast. It is dominated by professional sports. The Big Ten is going to discover this and probably already has. The Big Ten gained two financially troubled Athletic Departments. That's not going to change. The ACC replaced one of them with a thriving athletic department, and also added Notre Dame, Pitt, and Syracuse as you suggest. Maryland left a hole in the Mid Atlantic for the ACC, but Temple is available to return presence there if the ACC wants to do that in a bigger market than Maryland vacated. The Big Ten doesn't need Temple. It's not clear that the ACC wants to do that. Rutgers I've discussed earlier. Newark Nick is tired of hearing about it and leaves nasty notes every time I discuss it. Neither will turn into another Penn State football fan base just because they are in the Big Ten.

I do think that the ACC should invite UConn. The upper Atlantic is not a College Football bastion. It is not going to be returned to one because of demographics. It is a College Basketball bastion which the ACC cares about. That's why I like UConn and could accept Temple. I think that the ACC can excel in both football and basketball at the same time with its Southern Members thriving in football and the Northern ones in basketball consistently with the occasional crossover like Miami winning basketball last season or Maryland winning football in 2001 or Virginia Tech winning on occasion. I thnk it will work to make the ACC a very successful conference in both sports.

You've said nice things about UConn and I don't plan to disabuse you of that. Unfortunately, you're showing your age a little with Philly offering a bigger market than Maryland took with them. Balto/DC has probably 2.5 million more heads than Philly even if Temple could attract some of them, which they can't. Penn State is all you need to know, with a sprinkling of Rutgers in S. Jersey, no Temple to speak of.

Heard all about the "You can't do college sports in the Northeast" a million times. The truth is you can't do bad college sports here. The reason basketball has enjoyed some success is it has been successful. Ask the folks in Connecticut if women's basketball can be successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom