U CONN and Big 10.... | The Boneyard

U CONN and Big 10....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey guys, IU fan and new to your site and wanted to talk Big 10 expansion with you a little.....I'm a regular on Frank the Tank's website, which is themed around Big 10 expansion...if you haven't checked it out you might find it interesting.....

I've been real skeptical about U Conn as an expansion alternative, but I read up about the "Next Generation Conneticut" program and that is impressive.....most pertinent to the subject at hand, imo, is that the plan is to increase undergrad enrollment by 6600....if that happens, U Conn's total enrollment becomes 32000 or so, which looks more Big 10ish....I also saw that U Conn went from #38 public school in US News to #19 from 2000-2013, which is impressive.....I see some definite advantages to U Conn from the Big Ten's perspective---#57 US News, flagship school, Northern identity (unlike Oklahoma, for example), no GOR issues, a fanbase that would welcome the Big 10, basketball, rivals with Rutgers and PSU.....

To me, the 2 biggest issues are non-AAU status (which I understand U Conn is trying to get) and (#1 to me) the smallish football stadium....so the question I would have is, is there any doubt U Conn would agree to expand the stadium to 53000 or so if the Big 10 made it a pre-req?

BTW, to me, U Conn's present football woes are no big deal, as you're talking about a 50-75 year decision.....but certainly the perception of U Conn in the heartland is currently suffering because of it.....I think you have a selling job to do but you've got some things to work with............

Reaction Score
My suspicion is if Jim Delany called Susan Herbst and said, "We'll vote you in immediately if you begin a 10-15K seat expansion," it'd get done. My suspicion is he has not and likely will not make that phone call.

Reaction Score
My suspicion is if Jim Delany called Susan Herbst and said, "We'll vote you in immediately if you begin a 10-15K seat expansion," it'd get done. My suspicion is he has not and likely will not make that phone call.

Brass, I think you're probably right, but I'm not sure why not make that call.......as some of your posters have discussed, biggest issue may be football impact if U Conn and KU, for example, were added.......the non-GOR seems to me to be a huge advantage to U Conn....but who will be the other team??...I can tell you it seems like the Big 10 is VERY interested in getting to 16 before the new TV contract is negotiated....

Reaction Score
I don't think he's right. We've been on the B1G's radar for a few years now.

Get Mizzou for #16.

Reaction Score

Get Mizzou for #16.

I think that might be the ticket.................

MO isn't as highly ranked in US News, but is AAU....and pretty solid in bb as well as fb........so it's a good mix of fb and bball, east and west, and academically.

Issue would be getting Mo's sports fans and t-shirt fans to go along with it....although the academic and admin. types would be willing.....The Big 10 kinda pissed all over Mo last go around so there are some hard feelings....

Reaction Score
Absolutely ZERO doubt it would get done. President Herbst would not even need to think about that request.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

Get Mizzou for #16.

This is likely B1G's exact strategy. Gets B1G the short-term bump of 16 now for this negotiation, while certainly not closing the door on Texas, UNC, UVA, KU, OU, GTech or whoever else they dream of for a 20- member league when the GOR's expire.

Unfortunately Mizzou's current SEC football success is likely creating illusions of grandeur which might make them shy away from B1G this time around...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Hey guys, IU fan and new to your site and wanted to talk Big 10 expansion with you a little.....I'm a regular on Frank the Tank's website, which is themed around Big 10 expansion...if you haven't checked it out you might find it interesting.....

I've been real skeptical about U Conn as an expansion alternative, but I read up about the "Next Generation Conneticut" program and that is impressive.....most pertinent to the subject at hand, imo, is that the plan is to increase undergrad enrollment by 6600....if that happens, U Conn's total enrollment becomes 32000 or so, which looks more Big 10ish....I also saw that U Conn went from #38 public school in US News to #19 from 2000-2013, which is impressive.....I see some definite advantages to U Conn from the Big Ten's perspective---#57 US News, flagship school, Northern identity (unlike Oklahoma, for example), no GOR issues, a fanbase that would welcome the Big 10, basketball, rivals with Rutgers and PSU.....

To me, the 2 biggest issues are non-AAU status (which I understand U Conn is trying to get) and (#1 to me) the smallish football stadium....so the question I would have is, is there any doubt U Conn would agree to expand the stadium to 53000 or so if the Big 10 made it a pre-req?

BTW, to me, U Conn's present football woes are no big deal, as you're talking about a 50-75 year decision.....but certainly the perception of U Conn in the heartland is currently suffering because of it.....I think you have a selling job to do but you've got some things to work with............

A fun fact about Rentschler Field (our football stadium): while it was built as a 40,000 seat stadium, footings for a third tier expansion were already put in place at the time of the original construction. This would expand capacity from the current 40,000 to 50,000-55,000 seats. Also, this season, there has been discussion on our site amongst us Boneyarders to install temp bleachers on the scoreboard side (right now it's more of an open concourse design) that could add an additional 2500-5000, depending on the arrangement. For example, we installed temp bleachers when Michigan came here earlier this season for an additional 2500 seats.

To answer your question, if UCONN needed to expand the football stadium to get into the B1G, it would do so in a heartbeat. UCONN has complete backing of our state government (as evidenced by the $1.5B bonding agreement you read about) to expand its profile. So, raising the money to get the work done to expand the stadium would not be an issue and it would be a quick expansion construction.

This has been an absolute nightmare season for UCONN football but attendance, through 4 games, has been holding steady. Word around here is that our current administration will go "all in" to find our next coach. We have a different AD and President from the Paul Pasqualoni hiring debacle and both seem to know the importance of having a competitive football program. This program was once on the fast-track for growth potential until our former AD, Jeff Hathaway, derailed it with a completely uninspired coaching search that landed us Paul Pasqualoni/George DeLeone.

UCONN fans would absolutely welcome a B1G invite with open arms.

Reaction Score
UConn's only hope is basketball. While the entire TV landscape has written off basketball, the BTN's head recently said that 60% of the networks revenues come from football. Nationally, we've heard that 85% come from football. Well, that still means bball is value at between 15-40% of revenues. That's not chopped liver.

There are two big factors as far as UConn and the B1G go.

1. Basketball. The B1G is about to get its clock cleaned in the next few years by the ACC. UNC, Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, Ga. Tech, NC State, Pitt are a formidable lineup against the B1Gs Indiana, Michigan St, Michigan, Ohio St, Wisky, Purdue, etc. Now, imagine adding UConn and Kansas to that lineup. The field instantly tilts back.

2. The Conn. TV market and NYC. It is significant. Hav a look at UConn's royalties/licensing which are the highest of the old BE. UConn sports through SNY got very high ratings in the market, and even the women's bball team knocks Syracuse bball off the air in NYC.

There are a great many negatives, but these two are the biggest factors.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
OP may be the greatest troller ever....

Perhaps.

Or perhaps he remembers UConn kicking the holy hell out of Indiana to open Rentschler Field.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1. Not sure what the "troll" comment is about. I am a IU and Big 10 fan interested in the expansion games.....

2. I do remember that game.

I know.

We have to crow about our victories when we can.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Let's just say that, if the situation you posed was ever offered - conditional invite to B1G if the stadium was expanded - and the offer was not taken before Delany finished his sentence... there would be a statewide revolt. It would get done.

Reaction Score
New here, but I've been lurking for several years now because when I first heard the B1G was expanding I thought then--and still think--UConn will be in. I'm just a long-suffering Gophers/B1G fan so I don't have any inside information or anything (like, say, Dude of WV). I'm probably not as smart as Frank the Tank. I just think that ultimately the B1G goes to 16 (and stops there) and UConn will be in.

Two things that I would do if I were UConn. First, I would move heaven and earth to get a Men's Lacrosse team up and running. It's clearly a sport that B1G sees as important to the future, and more importantly, it's an eastern seaboard thing. Nobody really will care if Nebraska or Minnesota get up and running--the geography is wrong. UConn is in the right place.

The second thing: Think of the B1G as 16 houses and two of the houses are standing empty. If I wanted to live in one of those houses and I couldn't buy it, I'd just move in anyway. I'd squat in that house. And if I were UConn AD, that's what I would do in football. EVERY non-conference game would be home-on-homes with B1G teams. B1G games always mean great media exposure and I'd have the confidence that B1G-UConn numbers would show we belong. By rotating through the B1G East, you'd essentially build the "we belong" factor and strengthen ties with the right schools and fan bases.

UConn has a lot going for it: geography, academics on the right trajectory, massive BBall presence, hockey (more important to the B1G than some might think), the right media markets, and that public, namesake vibe so important to the B1G. Time to have faith in yourself, bet the house on B1G, and make the all-out gamble and push to get in.

I know some B1G fans will probably think I'm nuts--I was and am 110% behind Rutgers and Maryland. I don't care about the past; they're sleeping giants who's time is coming. UConn belongs in the mix, too.

Reaction Score
Two things that I would do if I were UConn. First, I would move heaven and earth to get a Men's Lacrosse team up and running. It's clearly a sport that B1G sees as important to the future, and more importantly, it's an eastern seaboard thing. Nobody really will care if Nebraska or Minnesota get up and running--the geography is wrong. UConn is in the right place.

Strangely enough, the President of UConn, Susan Herbst, told the UConn play-by-play announcer, that her favorite sport was lacrosse! She also sends out secret messages every time she uses the words "flagship university" and "research university". ;)

Reaction Score
New here, but I've been lurking for several years now because when I first heard the B1G was expanding I thought then--and still think--UConn will be in. I'm just a long-suffering Gophers/B1G fan so I don't have any inside information or anything (like, say, Dude of WV). I'm probably not as smart as Frank the Tank. I just think that ultimately the B1G goes to 16 (and stops there) and UConn will be in.

The second thing: Think of the B1G as 16 houses and two of the houses are standing empty. If I wanted to live in one of those houses and I couldn't buy it, I'd just move in anyway. I'd squat in that house. And if I were UConn AD, that's what I would do in football. EVERY non-conference game would be home-on-homes with B1G teams. B1G games always mean great media exposure and I'd have the confidence that B1G-UConn numbers would show we belong. By rotating through the B1G East, you'd essentially build the "we belong" factor and strengthen ties with the right schools and fan bases.

UConn has a lot going for it: geography, academics on the right trajectory, massive BBall presence, hockey (more important to the B1G than some might think), the right media markets, and that public, namesake vibe so important to the B1G. Time to have faith in yourself, bet the house on B1G, and make the all-out gamble and push to get in.

I know some B1G fans will probably think I'm nuts--I was and am 110% behind Rutgers and Maryland. I don't care about the past; they're sleeping giants who's time is coming. UConn belongs in the mix, too.

Tru--I forgot about hockey. That would be another nice asset because the new Big Ten hockey league needs more teams fopr scheduling and TV. There's a lot about U Conn's situation that be sold......I'd agree the U leadership needs to be aggressive about it to get it done.............

Reaction Score

Very Leona Helmsley-ish. Sounds like a remake of how she snagged Harry.

Reaction Score
Let's just say that, if the situation you posed was ever offered - conditional invite to B1G if the stadium was expanded - and the offer was not taken before Delany finished his sentence... there would be a statewide revolt. It would get done.

Bingo.

Delany: Susan, hi, Jim Delany here.

Herbst: Oh hi, Jim. Just working on some of the forms for AAU membership. What's up?

Delany: Not much, just noodling that realignment conundrum. It's surprising how much play stadium size has been getting in some of our meetings.

Herbst: Oh crap! I knew there was something I wanted to do today. Thanks for reminding me, now where is that... Oh, here it is. Let me just put the old John Hancock on this... Did you hear the good news, Jim? We just signed the papers for a 15K seat addition to the Rent.

Delany: Be talking to you, Sue.

Reaction Score
UConn's only hope is basketball. While the entire TV landscape has written off basketball, the BTN's head recently said that 60% of the networks revenues come from football. Nationally, we've heard that 85% come from football. Well, that still means bball is value at between 15-40% of revenues. That's not chopped liver.

There are two big factors as far as UConn and the B1G go.

1. Basketball. The B1G is about to get its clock cleaned in the next few years by the ACC. UNC, Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, Ga. Tech, NC State, Pitt are a formidable lineup against the B1Gs Indiana, Michigan St, Michigan, Ohio St, Wisky, Purdue, etc. Now, imagine adding UConn and Kansas to that lineup. The field instantly tilts back.

2. The Conn. TV market and NYC. It is significant. Hav a look at UConn's royalties/licensing which are the highest of the old BE. UConn sports through SNY got very high ratings in the market, and even the women's bball team knocks Syracuse bball off the air in NYC.

There are a great many negatives, but these two are the biggest factors.

You know I got nothing but love for you buttercup : ).

I'm not sure the current BIG (not even considering what UMd clearly adds in basketball, and of course even more recruiting reach in Jersey and Maryland) is too worried about the ACC cleaning their clocks - we're used to it. Regardless, the fans still go to the games, the BIG still wins the attendance wars. Moreover, the BIG footprint still has the best hs basketball, a reality that continues to haunt BIG coaches because they collectively lack consistency in keeping them in the footprint. I mean have you looked at this year's top 100 - the top 25 is dominated by kids from the BIG footprint & most those kids will sign with a BIG team. Aren't you a PSU football fan? Why on God's green earth has PSU not elevated its basketball program? Philly has incredible basketball, you're next to NYC and the Bmore-DC-NoVa region. Don't give the football excuse - since PSU has excellent wrestling, volleyball, gymnastics, and for God's sake - fencing. It's culture and leadership, same goes for much of the BIG when it comes to hoops.

The BIG has simply choked in NC games and they don't lock down their footprint. If you look at the historical rosters of UNC, NCSt, Ken, Lville, etc., you'll always notice a starter or two that came out of the BIG footprint, the opposite cannot be said.

I don't know what to say other than coaching has lagged. I remember the late 70s up to 89 (when football rules the conference more so than now), the BIG won 4 NCs , played uptempo conference wide & carried a lot of swagger into March-April. Lately, a whole lot of whiffs despite NC games and final fours galore. Think about this: Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, OSU and MSU have all played in NCG's since 2002 & in all but one game, the ACC & future member eliminated the BIG, though Md is now in the BIG (they beat IU in 02). So our clocks have already been cleaned : )

One things is for certain, the ACC will turnover a lot more HOF coaches than the BIG in the next 5 to 8 years - big, big names.

But I agree, a UConn-KU add absolutely puts the ACC on notice. I've been arguing for at least 4 months now:

UConn, KU, OU, and Tx if 18 is the end game.

Such an addition would forever cement the BIG as a threat in basketball and football on an annual basis. I also think Delany could pitch this combo and the above would agree. It is likely BIG presidents that would kill such a deal.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is only one path for UConn to the Big 10, and that is with Missouri. The Big 10 will not add UConn alone, and there is not another credible program available as a partner, other than Missouri.

It is that simple.

Reaction Score
UConn, KU, OU, and Tx if 18 is the end game.
I do agree that would be a perfect end for B1G expansion if 18 is the goal . The Big 12 would likely be finished and the ACC, SEC and Pac-12 can fight for the leftovers and also pick schools from the Big 12, AAC and MWC to work on getting to 18 schools each.

This is all hypothetical, but 4 18 school conferences (with 9 school divisions and a championship game between the divisions) may be ideal for a a college football playoff. It is even possible to aim for 20 school conferences (10 team divisions; 9 games within each division and a championship game). There's too many schools who offer good fanbases and/or tradition.

There would be 29 schools left to work with from the Big 12, AAC and MWC if UConn, KU, OU and UT join the B1G. The SEC needs 4, the ACC needs 4, and the Pac-12 needs 6. 15 schools would be left out of a 4 18-school conference model for a playoff. 7 schools if a 4 20-school conference model is adopted. Wyoming, Utah State, Air Force, Hawaii are possibilities that would be left behind.

And there's still up-and-coming programs such as UTSA and ODU. And there's also BYU.

This is nuts. How about we aim for 4 26-school conferences (full 12 game season played in-division and a conference championship game)?? Then everyone can die happy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If we are to pretend that GOR's don't exist, and Texahoma can somehow leave the Big 12, they are heading West, not North. But they do exist, and Texas is getting paid to stay where they are, so they aren't going anywhere. I do think the Big 12 will add 2 schools to both get to 12 and save WVU from falling apart completely as an athletic program. Those schools will most likely be Cincinnati and BYU.

Which brings us back to how does UConn get saved? 95% chance that it doesn't, but if it does, it will be because the Big 10 added Missouri and UConn.

I am not sure what the SEC would do if that happened. They could very realistically just stay at 13, or grab Cincinnati if they weren't already in a league by that point. I think UCF or Houston is much, much less likely, but possible as "junior" members just to get to 14.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
At some point, these Power conferences with their own TV networks are going to have to begin worrying about football offseason programming (aka: basketball). You can only make so much money catering your broadcasting towards a sport that plays once a week, is primarily played during non-ideal TV time slots (weekend days), and is going through a safety rule overhaul that could change the sport drastically (and no, I'm not advocating for player injuries). Basketball is a sport that plays well on TV, is played primarily during cold winter months and weekday nights (good TV conditions), and has no excess concussion/head injury/player safety baggage that football carries. Whenever the day comes that the TV Execs in charge of these P5 conference TV programming come to this realization, UCONN will look like beautifully ripened low hanging fruit ready to be plucked without any exit fee or GOR hassle. UCONN just needs to become competitive at football and continue its elite basketball programs and it will find a home. There isn't a doubt in my mind that UCONN will be in a P5 conference (or playing in a NCAA break-off league of some sort that pays student athletes) within the next 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom