U CONN and Big 10.... | Page 9 | The Boneyard

U CONN and Big 10....

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You are welcome to perceive it that way. But I just watched Maryland flush 7 sports because it is broke. And I don't recall ever seeing Rutgers win anything of consequence. Yes they partipate in a lot of sports. You just don't see them come tournament time in any of them. Maybe women's basketball occasionally.

Louisville is winning NCAA championships and adding sports with an athletic budget bigger than most in the ACC , Big Ten, or SEC. That's before ACC money. If you're predicting that this is by creative accounting and an oncoming train wreck is on the way, you can. But I'm not seeing it.
Thanks for giving me permission to have my own opinion. It was very gracious of you.;)

The "Yum" Center's huge losses allow L'ville to be appear profitable. Net those numbers and a different story comes to light. The credits and the debits have been explained ad nauseum before. The dramatic jump in profitability came from the way they chose to report funds rather than any underlying economic reformation. I don't fault them for that a bit, but I recognize for what it is.

Reaction Score
Thanks for giving permission to have my own opinion. It was very gracious of you.;)

The "Yum" Center's huge losses allow L'ville to be appear profitable. Net those numbers and a different story comes to light. The credits and the debits have been explained as nauseum before. The dramatic jump in profitability came from the way they chose to report funds rather than any underlying economic reformation. I don't fault them for that a bit, but I recognize for what it is.
Talk about arrogance?bstimpy tops the cake!!I don't even think he realizes it?In his eyes the ACC can do no wrong.I admire loyalty but not stubborn arrogance!

Reaction Score
I would say that is a quality versus quantity questions. ND has the better brand with very loyal supporters while Rutgers has 14,000 graduates per year (2013), which is more students that ND has overall.

Most of Notre Dame's fans never went to the school. The Subway Alumni outnumber everybody.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ND's unaffiliated fan base consists of.catholics, irish americans, front runners and people who remember watching them when they were the only games on TV.

It's a large number.

Reaction Score
ND's unaffiliated fan base consists of.catholics, irish americans, front runners and people who remember watching them when they were the only games on TV.

It's a large number.
I'm surprised that their numbers are still strong.
The ethnic and religious identy that made them NYC team is fast dwindling. Its been a casuality of the growth of suburbs and inter-marraige. I would love to see the demogragphics on their fans, especially age. As an East coast Catholic kid ND was a big deal.
My grandsons are barely aware of them.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that their numbers are still strong.
The ethnic and religious identy that made them NYC team is fast dwindling. Its been a casuality of the growth of suburbs and inter-marraige. I would love to see the demogragphics on their fans, especially age. As an East coast Catholic kid ND was a big deal.
My grandsons are barely aware of them.

Numbers will be down in the future because the number of Catholic HS grads will be down, but the Catholic ideal of having your kids go to Catholic HS and Catholic colleges is still very very strong. Almost as strong as it used to be, if not more so, given attitudes about public school riffraff. But the overall numbers are down. I'm always stunned to see the allegiance of Catholic school kids to Catholic colleges in every town I've lived in, and therefore the town's allegiance. You can see this with Albany and Siena, Buffalo and Canisius, Pittsburgh and Duquense, Providence and PC, and esp. Philly and Villanova. The mindset doesn't exist in NYC, Boston has somehow split from BC, while in Conn. I knew very few kids who wanted to go to Fairfield. I went to Catholic school and kids were just as likely to want Trinity or Wesleyan..

Reaction Score
Numbers will be down in the future because the number of Catholic HS grads will be down, but the Catholic ideal of having your kids go to Catholic HS and Catholic colleges is still very very strong. Almost as strong as it used to be, if not more so, given attitudes about public school riffraff. But the overall numbers are down. I'm always stunned to see the allegiance of Catholic school kids to Catholic colleges in every town I've lived in, and therefore the town's allegiance. You can see this with Albany and Siena, Buffalo and Canisius, Pittsburgh and Duquense, Providence and PC, and esp. Philly and Villanova. The mindset doesn't exist in NYC, Boston has somehow split from BC, while in Conn. I knew very few kids who wanted to go to Fairfield. I went to Catholic school and kids were just as likely to want Trinity or Wesleyan..

Didn't you mean "Rhode Island and PC"?

Reaction Score
If Swofford is calling on one line, and Delaney is on the other which does SH go with assuming both are offering membership?
Spite, ego, and pay-back suggest BIG.
IMO, the ACC is the better fit for Uconn, and in the long term, the better conference. The demographics alone suggest that you'll need some ties to the south.

From a fb view, Uconn could pull a middle of the pack result most years, and maybe compete for a division title once in a while (every 5-10 years). Uconn has always proven to compete and challenge for championships so that won't change with football.
bb isn't a question. the ACC would be the better spot. Even if Big adds Kansas, the depth of the ACC in hoops is unrivaled (UNC, Duke, Syr, Pitt, UofL as the top tier is amazing)... Adding Uconn to that list means that statistically the ACC could land 3 or 4 of the #1 seeds any given year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Marty,

There are those who when aspiring for Medical schools aim for Harvard and Johns Hopkins and hold NYU and BU as fallbacks. Others aspire for NYU and BU and hold SUNY and New England school of medicine as fallbacks.

In a CR scenario the B1G is Harvard/Hopkins, the ACC is NY/BU and the AAC is SUNY/NESM. I personally wish that more UConn fans would aspire to the top tier. I am confident that our current leadership does.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Marty,

There are those who when aspiring for Medical schools aim for Harvard and Johns Hopkins and hold NYU and BU as fallbacks. Others aspire for NYU and BU and hold SUNY and New England school of medicine as fallbacks.

In a CR scenario the B1G is Harvard/Hopkins, the ACC is NY/BU and the AAC is SUNY/NESM. I personally wish that more UConn fans would aspire to the top tier. I am confident that our current leadership does.

I consider many of the SUNY's to be respectable places of higher learning. The better analogy for the AAC would be the University of Phoenix.

Not only is "dumpster fire" overused and tired at this point, its way too complimentary.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In this scenario the University of Phoenix would be D-III.

pj

Reaction Score
I consider many of the SUNY's to be respectable places of higher learning. The better analogy for the AAC would be the University of Phoenix.

Not only is "dumpster fire" overused and tired at this point, its way too complimentary.

Don't be absurd. UCF, USF, Cincy, Houston, and UConn all have potential to be major football programs. Even Temple and SMU have a shot. it's not bad for a conference to have some weaker teams to make the others look good, and teams like ECU, Navy, etc have good fan support while schools like Tulane are in major urban areas and recruiting hotbeds. The conference has potential. People are focusing on the fact that it currently gets one-tenth the money, but if it stuck together and built some rivalries, it would get a lot more money in the next contract.

I don't expect it to stick together though.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Don't be absurd. UCF, USF, Cincy, Houston, and UConn all have potential to be major football programs. Even Temple and SMU have a shot. it's not bad for a conference to have some weaker teams to make the others look good, and teams like ECU, Navy, etc have good fan support while schools like Tulane are in major urban areas and recruiting hotbeds. The conference has potential. People are focusing on the fact that it currently gets one-tenth the money, but if it stuck together and built some rivalries, it would get a lot more money in the next contract.

"I don't expect it to stick together though." -- I pray you're right.

For the University of Connecticut's athletic program, the AAC is a horrible conference.

Reaction Score
"I don't expect it to stick together though." -- I pray you're right.

For the University of Connecticut's athletic program, the AAC is a horrible conference.

Are you saying the conference can't get worse?

SUBTRACT those 4 and add So. Mississippi, Old Dominion, UAB and maybe UMass.

Reaction Score

I agree and a little surprised at the way the conference has played so far and the potential the teams you named have staying power,followings and urban viewing power to go with the potential!Unfortunately what it lacks is historical ties,cultural ties or the loyaltie's to hold together when a "better offer" comes along!(see TCU,BSU)You see things a lot like me pj and your right about the future financial oppurtunities here if they would/could hold together IMO!I mean were not a P4 or even a recent vintage ACC but with great leadership??The conferences strength would be its truly national therefore broad appeal possibilities!

Reaction Score
To be CUSAfied is now part of the American lexicon...

Meaning...made a part of a loose, ever changing conglomeration of 2nd tier teams who have no strong relationships with each other and who view the conference as a stop gap waypoint while awaiting a chance to move up into another conference.

A football purgatory of stalled souls serving out a penance and awaiting elevation to the pearly gated kingdom of the Haves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom