U CONN and Big 10.... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

U CONN and Big 10....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You've said nice things about UConn and I don't plan to disabuse you of that. Unfortunately, you're showing your age a little with Philly offering a bigger market than Maryland took with them. Balto/DC has probably 2.5 million more heads than Philly even if Temple could attract some of them, which they can't. Penn State is all you need to know, with a sprinkling of Rutgers in S. Jersey, no Temple to speak of.

Heard all about the "You can't do college sports in the Northeast" a million times. The truth is you can't do bad college sports here. The reason basketball has enjoyed some success is it has been successful. Ask the folks in Connecticut if women's basketball can be successful.

Maryland doesn't attract any more in the Baltimore/DC market than Temple does in the Philly Market. It really doesn't, and the Big Ten knows that. What they are planning to do is to try to force Comcast to give them more money for the BTN there because of other arrangements they have with Comcast.

It's not an age thing at all. Philly is the Number 4 DMA for television. DC/Baltimore isn't in the top ten.

Football and Men's basketball carry the day. At least Maryland Men's basketball regularly gets to the NCAA tournament. This past season they went to the NIT. The Big Ten will be enhanced by that. You at UConn are better experienced to fill me in on all a the Rutgers Big East Men's basketball Championships, NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament wins, and NIT Wins than I am. Their Football won't enhance the Big Ten at all. Neither will Maryland.

Reaction Score
I can't understand how you can like the ACC strategy when Swofford let the B1G into Maryland and New Jersey/York. Delany swallowed up Rutgers and Maryland while Swofford played pitty-pat with Pitt and Cuse. The ACC could have owned the upper Atlantic coast and there would have been little the B1G could have done about it.
Bstimpy is delusional!!He thinks Cuse is a great FB add and along with outlier BC will lock down the east coast ?His posts(arrogantly ACC) remind me of why most of us consider the B1G as preferable to the ACC!!You'd never see B1G member's running around to ACC board's defending themselves or their perceived place in the big4 because they feel secure.

Reaction Score
Maryland doesn't attract any more in the Baltimore/DC market than Temple does in the Philly Market. It really doesn't, and the Big Ten knows that. What they are planning to do is to try to force Comcast to give them more money for the BTN there because of other arrangements they have with Comcast.

It's not an age thing at all. Philly is the Number 4 DMA for television. DC/Baltimore isn't in the top ten.

Football and Men's basketball carry the day. At least Maryland Men's basketball regularly gets to the NCAA tournament. This past season they went to the NIT. The Big Ten will be enhanced by that. You at UConn are better experienced to fill me in on all a the Rutgers Big East Men's basketball Championships, NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament wins, and NIT Wins than I am. Their Football won't enhance the Big Ten at all. Neither will Maryland.

My friend, I don't wish to bash you, your team, or your conference. I'd be pleased to see UConn join you (although personally, I'd prefer that it would be with both of us invited to the B1G). But I can't let false assertions go unchallenged. Using TV homes rather than population as you suggest, according to Nielsen, Philly, #4, has 2.9 million, DC, #8, has 2.4, and Baltimore, #27, has 1.1. DC/Balto (=3.5) > Philly (=3.0). For what it's worth, #3, Chicago also has 3.5 million TV homes, about the same as DC/Balto.

Reaction Score
I can't understand how you can like the ACC strategy when Swofford let the B1G into Maryland and New Jersey/York. Delany swallowed up Rutgers and Maryland while Swofford played pitty-pat with Pitt and Cuse. The ACC could have owned the upper Atlantic coast and there would have been little the B1G could have done about it.
There was a nice article in a recent Forbes bussiness magazine about the reason the B1G is so successful and featured a Delany interview about the RU/MD additions and the process leading up to it!

Reaction Score
Bstimpy is delusional!!He thinks Cuse is a great FB add and along with outlier BC will lock down the east coast ?His posts(arrogantly ACC) remind me of why most of us consider the B1G as preferable to the ACC!!You'd never see B1G member's running around to ACC board's defending themselves or their perceived place in the big4 because they feel secure.

I don't find stimpy particularly delusional. Has he made over-the-top allegations from time-to-time? I don't know, probably, but that wouldn't distinguish him from the rest of us. He defends his conference and I find that admirable. I'd much prefer being his conference mates than where we are.

Still, I hope we find ourselves in the B1G with you guys. I see Rutgers as our most natural rival. I'm a Rutgers alum so I hope they can get their athletics straightened out and begin to leverage some of the advantages they enjoy (large population, good local talent, closest team to the world's media capitol) into a brand to be envied.

Reaction Score
There was a nice article in a recent Forbes bussiness magazine about the reason the B1G is so successful and featured a Delany interview about the RU/MD additions and the process leading up to it!

I did read that article. One of the things that struck me was how deliberative Delany has been, as opposed to Swofford who seems more reactionary. Why was the ACC in such a rush to add Louisville? They were under no time constraints to do anything, yet he acted like the conference needed reinforcements 'cause Pickett was headed up the hill. Very, very poor "time management" on Johnny-boy's part. He may have some good qualities as a conference commish but strategic planning isn't one of them.

Even when he had the luxury of time (which he did for the Louisville add except he was too panicked to notice), he picked Pitt and Cuse over you and us. I'd love to see the real rationale on how that decision was made. They're the Atlantic Coast Conference for chrissakes. They could have owned the Boston/DC corridor. Instead the opt for the confluence of the Monongahela and Allegany and the Finger Lakes. Seriously?

You guys need to step up your game now, though. Good luck.

Reaction Score
I don't find stimpy particularly delusional. Has he made over-the-top allegations from time-to-time? I don't know, probably, but that wouldn't distinguish him from the rest of us. He defends his conference and I find that admirable. I'd much prefer being his conference mates than where we are.

Still, I hope we find ourselves in the B1G with you guys. I see Rutgers as our most natural rival. I'm a Rutgers alum so I hope they can get their athletics straightened out and begin to leverage some of the advantages they enjoy (large population, good local talent, closest team to the world's media capitol) into a brand to be envied.
Sure I can understand defending his conference w/o the constant need to allude to RU in ninety% of his posts as worse than Temple in popularity in S;Jersey?Heck Temple gets less fans at there home games than RU brings!And I like Temple!!RU's has only be terrible for a 10 year period in the late 90s early 00s!I remember RU FB and hoops going back to the mid 60s and Frank Burns 70s when we even turned down a bowl game that we considered beneath us!!Undefeated season's and beating Tenn in 79? and PSU in 88 and having Bama on the ropes in the Meadowlands in 80 on national TV when Bear Bryant swore he'd never return..we always did more with less!I grew up near Abdel Anderson in Belleville,NJ who attended my uncles church and reveled in a final4 and top 15s in hoops regularly until the mid 80s!RU has for 150 years in FB mostly been competitive doing more with less but todays internet generation only has a short attention span/memories!I know it hasn't been stellar but something like a .530 winning % historically!I wish the best for UConn because I see similarities between the neighboring eastern publics and how well they do under less than perfect circumstances.Admirable school!

Reaction Score
I did read that article. One of the things that struck me was how deliberative Delany has been, as opposed to Swofford who seems more reactionary. Why was the ACC in such a rush to add Louisville? They were under no time constraints to do anything, yet he acted like the conference needed reinforcements 'cause Pickett was headed up the hill. Very, very poor "time management" on Johnny-boy's part. He may have some good qualities as a conference commish but strategic planning isn't one of them.

Even when he had the luxury of time (which he did for the Louisville add except he was too panicked to notice), he picked Pitt and Cuse over you and us. I'd love to see the real rationale on how that decision was made. They're the Atlantic Coast Conference for chrissakes. They could have owned the Boston/DC corridor. Instead the opt for the confluence of the Monongahela and Allegany and the Finger Lakes. Seriously?

You guys need to step up your game now, though. Good luck.
I have faith in the pride of "76"s Eddie Jordan and the MBB team but Im not as confident in Floods gameday coaching abilities?WBB,I'm not sure whats up with CVS lately?Wrestling is starting to look promising now too!

Reaction Score
My friend, I don't wish to bash you, your team, or your conference. I'd be pleased to see UConn join you (although personally, I'd prefer that it would be with both of us invited to the B1G). But I can't let false assertions go unchallenged. Using TV homes rather than population as you suggest, according to Nielsen, Philly, #4, has 2.9 million, DC, #8, has 2.4, and Baltimore, #27, has 1.1. DC/Balto (=3.5) > Philly (=3.0). For what it's worth, #3, Chicago also has 3.5 million TV homes, about the same as DC/Balto.

You are reinforcing my point perhaps without realizing it. The ACC isn't losing the DC market at all. UVA and VT have as much share in it as Maryland. The ACC is losing the Baltimore market possibly. I say possibly because much of the local programming in DC makes it onto the sets in Baltimore too, and UVA and VT will be on in DC. Also the folks in Baltimore have been following the ACC for so long many of them will continue to. So by your numbers, the Philly market at 2.9 million > Baltimore at 1.1. That's my point.

You bring up Chicago which with Notre Dame offers another market to the ACC. I don't think that the ACC has attempted to market there yet, but with Notre Dame the ACC has as much chance of penetrating the Chicago market as the Big Ten does the New York market with Rutgers. Possibly even more as Notre Dame is a bigger brand.

Reaction Score
Sure I can understand defending his conference w/o the constant need to allude to RU in ninety% of his posts as worse than Temple in popularity in S;Jersey?Heck Temple gets less fans at there home games than RU brings!And I like Temple!!RU's has only be terrible for a 10 year period in the late 90s early 00s!I remember RU FB and hoops going back to the mid 60s and Frank Burns 70s when we even turned down a bowl game that we considered beneath us!!Undefeated season's and beating Tenn in 79? and PSU in 88 and having Bama on the ropes in the Meadowlands in 80 on national TV when Bear Bryant swore he'd never return..we always did more with less!I grew up near Abdel Anderson in Belleville,NJ who attended my uncles church and reveled in a final4 and top 15s in hoops regularly until the mid 80s!RU has for 150 years in FB mostly been competitive doing more with less but todays internet generation only has a short attention span/memories!I know it hasn't been stellar but something like a .530 winning % historically!I wish the best for UConn because I see similarities between the neighboring eastern publics and how well they do under less than perfect circumstances.Admirable school!

I'm talking about Temple Men's Basketball vs Rutgers Men's Basketball. You keep wanting to discuss Temple football attendance. I know it's bad at 25,000 average. Temple and Rutgers are both hardly followed in football. They play each other this week and are relegated to ESPN3 where the public will have to hunt to find it for Pete's sake. Neither will bring much in football to any conference, so I don't want to discuss Temple or Rutgers football. I do think Temple brings the college basketball interest in the Philadelphia market, which is substantial. There would need to be work with their football program to grow any interest. I also think Temple brings as much as Cincinnati does, and I've made that point too because the ACC is looking at Cincinnati. UConn to me is better than both Temple and Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
You are reinforcing my point perhaps without realizing it. The ACC isn't losing the DC market at all. UVA and VT have as much share in it as Maryland. The ACC is losing the Baltimore market possibly. I say possibly because much of the local programming in DC makes it onto the sets in Baltimore too, and UVA and VT will be on in DC. Also the folks in Baltimore have been following the ACC for so long many of them will continue to. So by your numbers, the Philly market at 2.9 million > Baltimore at 1.1. That's my point.

You bring up Chicago which with Notre Dame offers another market to the ACC. I don't think that the ACC has attempted to market there yet, but with Notre Dame the ACC has as much chance of penetrating the Chicago market as the Big Ten does the New York market with Rutgers. Possibly even more as Notre Dame is a bigger brand.

I went to Maryland. I lived just outside D.C. (8 miles down Rhode Island Ave. as we all knew cause we made that trip... a lot). I know who roots for what there. I grew up outside Philly. I spent a lot of time either at the Palestra or watching the Big 5 on TV. Temple ranked behind LaSalle in terms of fan interest. The Owls ain't carrying nothing in that city. Hell, they got kicked out of the Big East cause they couldn't deliver any interest in their football team.

You can spin all you want but I'm not interested in pigs wearing lipstick. You can tell me till you're blue in the face about the historical interest in underperforming teams from the northeast. I don't care. Obviously Delany feels differently. He sees a future that is different from the past. Can he deliver on his vision? Better than Swofford is my guess.

Reaction Score
I need some clarification here. A poster who constantly praises the importance of Yale as a football power in 1907 believes that Missouri is now more important as a football school than Nebraska. How is this possible?
I need clarification as to why I need to repeat myself.

Reaction Score
I went to Maryland. I lived just outside D.C. (8 miles down Rhode Island Ave. as we all knew cause we made that trip... a lot). I know who roots for what there. I grew up outside Philly. I spent a lot of time either at the Palestra or watching the Big 5 on TV. Temple ranked behind LaSalle in terms of fan interest. The Owls ain't carrying nothing in that city. Hell, they got kicked out of the Big East cause they couldn't deliver any interest in their football team.

You can spin all you want but I'm not interested in pigs wearing lipstick. You can tell me till you're blue in the face about the historical interest in underperforming teams from the northeast. I don't care. Obviously Delany feels differently. He sees a future that is different from the past. Can he deliver on his vision? Better than Swofford is my guess.

You give Temple an ACC basketball schedule and they start winning, that city won't remember who Villanova or LaSalle are. I just watched it happen in Miami of all places where it is less likely than Philadelphia for college basketball. Is it enough value for the ACC to add a team? It's worth looking into IMO.

It will be interesting to see how Delaney delivers with underperforming teams from the northeast, because he now has two to worry about. Maryland on the one hand can at least bring some basketball, lacrosse, and soccer value right away.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten gained two financially troubled Athletic Departments. That's not going to change.

The Big Ten gained two financially troubled Athletic Departments. Yes
That's not going to change. Why?Evidence?

Reaction Score
You give Temple an ACC basketball schedule and they start winning, that city won't remember who Villanova or LaSalle are. I just watched it happen in Miami of all places where it is less likely than Philadelphia for college basketball. Is it enough value for the ACC to add a team? It's worth looking into IMO.

It will be interesting to see how Delaney delivers with underperforming teams from the northeast, because he now has two to worry about. Maryland on the one hand can at least bring some basketball, lacrosse, and soccer value right away.
Well by that rationale if you give Maryland a big ten football schedule and they start winning DC will forget all about Uva and vatech.

Reaction Score

It will change but well into the future.
Rutgers is buying into the B1G in small increments over 7 years. It built out a stadium for $110m while hemoraging to the tune of $30m losses a year in the AD.

For Rutgers, the move is less about seeing red for the next 7 or 8 years than it is about the possibility of seeing a LOT more red as a member of the AAC for many more years.

But--if someone wants to make the argument that the move to the B1G is not going to bring the AD into the black, it is a viable argument. $30m is a lot to make up.

Reaction Score
It will change but well into the future.
Rutgers is buying into the B1G in small increments over 7 years. It built out a stadium for $110m while hemoraging to the tune of $30m losses a year in the AD.

For Rutgers, the move is less about seeing red for the next 7 or 8 years than it is about the possibility of seeing a LOT more red as a member of the AAC for many more years.

But--if someone wants to make the argument that the move to the B1G is not going to bring the AD into the black, it is a viable argument. $30m is a lot to make up.

Yes. It is a viable argument and may be the outcome. I just disagree with the statement since it declares it will be the case when Rutgers has not even started play in the B1G and the next B1G media contract has not even been negotiated. Delany, a man very much aware of his legacy, is certainly aware that for these two universities to have athletic departments that remain financially troubled is a blight on his legacy and the conference. I suspect he and the conference will make every effort to change this outcome.

Reaction Score
I didn't say UVA was the better choice. In fact, I mention VA Tech in my reply to point out that either school would give the SEC Network an foothold in DC and the rest of the VA markets. I've spent a lot of time in VA. Outside of Clemson and FSU, Va Tech provides the most SEC-like game day experience. If I were the SEC, I'd take the Hokies as well.

As for UNC, you are crazy if you don't think the SEC would want UNC. They are a collegiate blue blood. There's no guarantee that in-state politics would handcuff UNC to NC State. As I said before, the new SEC Network would love to pull the DC, VA & NC markets into its fold.

With all of this being said, UNC prefers the ACC right now & they are the biggest lynchpin that holds the ACC together.

The SEC would absolutely be interested in Carolina. Its no secret here that Mike Slive has spoken to UNC officials through back channels in the past. He'd take UNC in a heartbeat.

You are, however, incorrect about UNC being handcuffed to NCSU. While the UNC Board of Governors might green light a move to the SEC for Carolina, the NC General Assembly will never allow UNC to be in a secure conference, while NC State is left to struggle in a lesser league.

Reaction Score
North Carolina's the pearl and UV will follow their lead!It's been a long time between drink's in FB and BB for UVa! Seem's VT has become the prize/flagbearer it's been so long for UVa.

Nicky, the UVA Board of Visitors will never take their school to the SEC. I am 100 percent confident in that. Their fans would like it, but, their administration won't even consider it.

Reaction Score
I see the ACC fans are back on the ACC Network will be here any day now trail....:confused:

Please go discuss this on your own boards

No ACC fan who posts here believes that an ACCN is imminent. If they ever get one, its 2-4 years down the road, at a minimum. Maybe longer.

That said, we have commented on what kind of content adding UConn could bring to one, if it ever got off of the ground.

Big difference.

Reaction Score

Swofford didn't let Maryland go. They left of their own accord. They negotiated with the B1G while still members of the ACC, and, according to some of their fans, in clear violation of one or more of their own state's laws.

At least thats my own understanding of it.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be so quick to write off the potential for the return of Big time football to.the tri-state area. History has a tendency to be repeatative.
It's true this is a competative area for entertainment.
The late George Steinbrenner understood this better than anyone.
When he bought the Yankees for 8million it was thought the only possible move was out of NY.
Their location was possibly the worse in the US.
by his death the team was worth about a billion dollars.

He understood the northeast is about entertainment value.
Hopefully Delany a Jersey boy learned something from George.
Will a vibrant Rutgers, UConn rivalry emulate the 40's battles between Notre Dame and Army ? When the millions of Veterans and. a strong Catholic sub-culture swelled that game into the hottest ticket in town. No but it will recreate a buzz especially if those teams are decent. The B1G is the only conference capable of nuturing this rebirth. The ACC lacks historical football attraction especially for Northerners.
Have people forgotten that the Northeast was a college BB wasteland post cheating scandal. The best coaches and players exited for backwater places like Chapel Hill NC were most of the locals didn't know a basketball was round.
These places actually accepted Jewish kids from the city as long as they could play.
Big time college football left the area in a simalar move when the Catholic schools gave it up and it became much too crass for the elites
Its a pretty simalar to NE BB in the late 50's to the 80's
People had written it off until the Big East came along..
The Big East was a show and a show is what the NE loves.
It took a visionary to see the potential for BB
It will take someone with equal vision to rediscover football.

Reaction Score
Well by that rationale if you give Maryland a big ten football schedule and they start winning DC will forget all about Uva and vatech.

You can try that but it is not likely, and Maryland is not a threat to pull it off anyway. A Big Ten football schedule isn't any more impressive than an ACC football schedule. In fact this year 2013, an undefeated Ohio State probably will get left out because of how unimpressive a Big Ten football schedule is. Now if Maryland went 12-0 and both UVA and VT went 2-10, you'd be right. Check back when that happens.

However, an ACC basketball schedule with this current ACC lineup would be more impressive than a Big East basketball schedule or Atlantic Ten basketball schedule.

Reaction Score
You can try that but it is not likely, and Maryland is not a threat to pull it off anyway. A Big Ten football schedule isn't any more impressive than an ACC football schedule. In fact this year 2013, an undefeated Ohio State probably will get left out because of how unimpressive a Big Ten football schedule is. Now if Maryland went 12-0 and both UVA and VT went 2-10, you'd be right. Check back when that happens.

However, an ACC basketball schedule with this current ACC lineup would be more impressive than a Big East basketball schedule or Atlantic Ten basketball schedule.

I was only trying to point out how unreasonable it was for you to assume that Temple A) will be winning in the ACC and B) Philly will forget the Big 5/City 6. Growing up Philly taught me that while Philly certainly enjoys college basketball, it loves Philadelphia college basketball. No one school pulls ahead because of conference affiliation. In fact I knew more folks who hated Nova for joining the BE and destroying the true Big 5 tournament.

Reaction Score

The behavior at Maryland hasn't changed. They're now already talking about an overpriced $80 million indoor practice facility because they have to have the same facilities as Ohio State or Michigan, or at least that's Kevin Anderson's talking point. They are in the financial mess they are in because of overspending and running a bigger athletic department than they have budget for. They have done it for 3 decades now. The extra revenue that they think they are going to get from the Big Ten will just encourage more of the same.

Rutgers has done similar and covered it with funds from the academic part of the university. The Big Ten money will help some, but its the habit that would have to change (i.e. from overspending to living within athletically earned revenue numbers only or at least close to them). Do you see evidence of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom