U CONN and Big 10.... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

U CONN and Big 10....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would like to see UConn invited. I've said it on this board many times. I think UConn brings a lot. The ACC has an expansion committee that is made up of Presidents, ADs, and faculty reps. They have gone over all the available and interested schools very carefully and put together an options list, and they like what they see in Louisville. They weren't interested in West Virginia who is about the same academically as Louisville and has existing rivalries with Pitt and Virginia Tech. Why? I don't have a clue. I'm not privy to that information, and they keep it well locked down. I do know that the schools in the southern part of the ACC sponsored Louisville. They were an option that pleased both the football interests and the basketball interests in the conference. The academic interests sat that one out.
If UConn and Cincinnati/Temple are added, it would be amusing to think the ACC became a combination of the old ACC, the Big East and the Metro Conference. But at the same time, if the SEC was to expand, who would they take? Right now, FSU, Clemson and maybe Houston seem to be the only viable options. I know the SEC wanted UNC and Duke as a package.

Reaction Score
No you miss the point It isn't a matter of would UVA go to the SEC or not, it is a matter of would the SEC ever add UVA. The answer is NO. They already have Vanderbilt, why would they add a school not isn't even as good academically as Vanderbilt and has been going downhill athletically for years? UVA is not a major player in these discussions.

I'm not sure where you do your analysis, but 7 straight top 20 Director's Cup finishes and never worse than 30 since there was a Director's Cup isn't exactly downhill. Georgia and Florida are the only SEC schools to never finish worse than 30. Given this maybe they should get out of the SEC and join the ACC where they can join UVA and UNC with quality academics and athletics. We don't want to go over there and lose on the academic side. Don't want the Big Ten either.

Schools Ranked in the Top-30 of All 19 Directors' Cup Point Standings (1994-2013)
Arizona
Arizona State
California
Florida
Georgia
Michigan
North Carolina
Ohio State
Penn State
USC
Stanford
Texas
UCLA
Virginia

Reaction Score
Virginia has a great recruiting territory and a good market. Can't understand why people are downplaying it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Virginia has a great recruiting territory and a good market. Can't understand why people are downplaying it.

Exactly.

Very good market, excellent academics. The major sports don't exactly light the world on fire, but you can certainly win there.

Virginia is kind of a prettier, smarter version of Maryland/Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure where you do your analysis, but 7 straight top 20 Director's Cup finishes and never worse than 30 since there was a Director's Cup isn't exactly downhill. Georgia and Florida are the only SEC schools to never finish worse than 30. Given this maybe they should get out of the SEC and join the ACC where they can join UVA and UNC with quality academics and athletics. We don't want to go over there and lose on the academic side. Don't want the Big Ten either.

Schools Ranked in the Top-30 of All 19 Directors' Cup Point Standings (1994-2013)
Arizona
Arizona State
California
Florida
Georgia
Michigan
North Carolina
Ohio State
Penn State
USC
Stanford
Texas
UCLA
Virginia

In that period of time how many of these schools have won a football or bball championship? Not many. Let's get a ranking of schools with football and men's basketball championships. UVA may do well in a lot of "lesser" sports, but those aren't the ones, to quote Reggie, "that stir the drink". I do agree with you about Vandy, they should be in the ACC.

Reaction Score

They can't beat the big boys in the big sports, that's why.

Reaction Score
Outside of a marginal number of CFB athletes in the Hampton Rds area I don't see Va as "rich recruiting" area?Md is much smaller but much richer in athletes and how much hoops or any other sport talent comes from Va?

Reaction Score
Taking all factors into consideration, I find it surprising that the B1G chose Nebraska over Missouri. Missouri has much more significance in trade routes and obviously has a larger population. Nebraska just has 5 titles in football and a lot of crops. And I guess Warren Buffet.

Despite their lack of recent success, Nebraska is a historical football brand and met Delany's desire at that time for "home run" additions for B1G expansion.

Reaction Score
In that period of time how many of these schools have won a football or bball championship? Not many. Let's get a ranking of schools with football and men's basketball championships. UVA may do well in a lot of "lesser" sports, but those aren't the ones, to quote Reggie, "that stir the drink". I do agree with you about Vandy, they should be in the ACC.

Not familiar with a "lessor" sport, just a sport. UVA sponsors 25 of them. If you put all your eggs in one or two sports you could end up like Virginia Tech with a national championship trophy case and no trophy to put in it. Talk about sad.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/09/hokies-built-it-can-they-fulfill-it

The list I posted are the top 14 College Athletic Departments in the United States for the past 2 decades. I've heard the argument about football and basketball before, but a case with lots of trophies is preferred to one with none. I know UConn has 10 basketball trophies. That's impressive.

Reaction Score
Not familiar with a "lessor" sport, just a sport. UVA sponsors 25 of them. If you put all your eggs in one or two sports you could end up like Virginia Tech with a national championship trophy case and no trophy to put in it. Talk about sad.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/09/hokies-built-it-can-they-fulfill-it

The list I posted are the top 14 College Athletic Departments in the United States for the past 2 decades. I've heard the argument about football and basketball before, but a case with lots of trophies is preferred to one with none. I know UConn has 10 basketball trophies. That's impressive.

Once again you are wrong, UConn has 11 basketball trophies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Speaking from experience, a full trophy case is perfectly meaningless.

Forget the case, we have a trophy hallway and yet here we are.

And those are hoop trophies not golf or cross country or whatever in the blue hell Virginia has won.

Not demeaning UVa - a title is a title - just bemoaning our current circumstance.

Reaction Score
Speaking from experience, a full trophy case is perfectly meaningless.

Forget the case, we have a trophy hallway and yet here we are.

And those are hoop trophies not golf or cross country or whatever in the blue hell Virginia has won.

Not demeaning UVa - a title is a title - just bemoaning our current circumstance.

It isn't meaningless. It's impressive, and it ultimately will land UConn in either the ACC or the Big Ten. Both the ACC and the Big Ten will ultimately get to 16 members. The ACC needs 1 and the Big Ten 2. I'm convinced that if UConn continues to impress in basketball and improve in football, UConn will get one of the 3 spots. It can be done.

I don't think the Big XII is where UConn should be. I don't think West Virginia belongs there either albeit beside the point. But a spot might open up there too. Just going to need to get to the next round of movement in a few years.

Reaction Score
Exactly.

Very good market, excellent academics. The major sports don't exactly light the world on fire, but you can certainly win there.

without the tv sets

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I assure you that they have television sets in Virginia.

They even have indoor plumbing there these days.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn will never, ever, ever be in the ACC. There is a 0% chance of that happening. They have had multiple chances to add UConn, and they chose turnips like Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt and BCU instead. This is roughly the equivalent of a woman you like going out with, in succession, a guy who weighs 300 pounds, a guy who is married, a guy in prison, and a guy who is gay. At some point it has to be obvious that she is just not interested in you.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
On the flip side, we almost got to put a hand under the ACC's bra while the Big Ten is three grades older than us and has shown no indication that they know we exist. (She likes to date guys who drive IROC's, apparently.)

Reaction Score
You invite Nebraska because they are freaking Nebraska.
Yeah, but as of recently, Mizzou has been playing better. Plus, who's going to take Nebraska? The Pac-12?

Reaction Score
Exactly.

LOL. Stay away from the Virginia kids. I expect the Virginia schools now to out recruit Maryland in Maryland. What kid from Maryland wants to play in Minnesota? We'll find out that the answer is few.

I do respect Maryland's NCAA championship total. It does impress. Rutgers has not been relevant in College Athletics in over half a century in any sport including the big boys? or the "lesser" ones. None.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah, but as of recently, Mizzou has been playing better. Plus, who's going to take Nebraska? The Pac-12?

If you think Missouri is more desirable to a football conference than Nebraska, you should be drowned in a barrel of rainwater. (I think I'm kidding, but I'm not completely certain.)

If they were both free agents, conference commissioners would drive over Missouri's corpse to get their invitation into Nebraska's hands.

Reaction Score
If you think Missouri is more desirable to a football conference than Nebraska, you should be drowned in a barrel of rainwater. (I think I'm kidding, but I'm not completely certain.)

If they were both free agents, conference commissioners would drive over Missouri's corpse to get their invitation into Nebraska's hands.
Just as the ACC drove over our corpse to get invites to Pitt and Syracuse. So basically, tradition sells better on TV for a national audience. Got it.

Mizzou is still desirable from a long term point of view. Just as we are. No idea if Mizzou would still consider the B1G, but if they would, I think the B1G would be very wise to grab the school.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
On the flip side, we almost got to put a hand under the ACC's bra while the Big Ten is three grades older than us and has shown no indication that they know we exist. (She likes to date guys who drive IROC's, apparently.)

The Big 10 has proven that she will sleep with almost anyone when she gets a few beers in her. The ACC is a tease, at least when it comes to us. Better to hang around the Big 10 and hope to get lucky one night.

Reaction Score
You miss the basic point. There is nothing to be gained by the SEC if they add UVA, nothing. They are lucky to be where they are in the ACC.

I really don't get this comment. If UVA (or Va Tech) went to the SEC, they'd bring an opening in to the DC market as well as the 4 other TV markets in the Commonwealth. If it's UVA and UNC, it would give the SEC a presence in every one of the southeastern states. The SEC would love to get into VA and NC. With the impending SEC Network, I'd think the SEC would want to expand its TV footprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom