Tweets from Practice | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tweets from Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's interesting. I didn't know that. On the other hand, Emeka's game was different than Oriakhi's. I never felt that Oriakhi was asked to be a rim protector.

That's more along the lines of ability, he was most defenitely asked to be a rim protector and lane defender, AO just wasn't a great shotblocker. He had his moments, the Butler game for example, but he's behind in that area from some of our more recent big men of the past decade.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That's more along the lines of ability, he was most defenitely asked to be a rim protector and lane defender, AO just wasn't a great shotblocker. He had his moments, the Butler game for example, but he's behind in that area from some of our more recent big men of the past decade.

Lane defender is subtly different than a rim protector in my view.

Reaction Score
Lane defender is subtly different than a rim protector in my view.

It is and I noted both, there isn't a coach alive that isn't asking your best big not to defend the rim. Hell, even when KO downsized his lineup DeAndre and Niels were still challenging shots at the rim. If you're guarding 4s and 5s its pretty much a given that you better do that.

Husky25

Reaction Score
From Olander's Bio:
As a Freshman in 2010-11: Appeared in 39 games, starting 21... Averaged 1.5 points and 1.8 rebounds in 9.6 minutes per game... Recorded 0.7 points and 1.0 rebounds in BIG EAST play...

TO didn't play a lot or have great numbers but he did start. I remember Calhoun talking about using him to make sure we didn't pick up early fouls. I guess it was to protect Okwandu who I would guess played about double the minutes with double the production, probably more blocks though. If I get ambitious tonight I'll try to see if I can find the article.

As I said in other threads JC used to say your first sub should make you better. I can see a scenario where Brimah comes in at the first timeout and forces teams to adjust to the big shot blocker. Now if AB's got his fouling issues resolved and can stay on the floor more minutes, maybe you are right. We'll see.
Okwandu averaged 15.4 minutes. Olander averaged 9.6. Their PF rate normalized over 40 minutes was 6.3 and 6.0, respectively. Olander was used the same in 2011 as he was in 2014. His most useful asset was his 5 fouls (though he did grab the occasional rebound), but Brimah and Nolan still started ahead of him by the end of the year. Oriakhi was the 2011 team's best center, but Olander did not start in place of him. They were on the floor at the same time. He did not start to save Okwandu either. If Okwandu was better than Olander it was not by a whole h3ll of a lot. They were more or less interchangeable parts. That is all I'm trying to say.

As for the first sub making them better, my guess is the first sub will be Cassell or Hamilton, given a starting 5 of Boatright, Purvis, Calhoun, Nolan and Brimah to start the year. Facey will be second or third.

Be that as it may, it is nice to see 10 players have the ability to contribute. My guess is that the rotation will be whittled down to 8 by the end of the year.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
Basically, Olander started over Bazz.
Who was never in foul trouble (avg. 2.6 normalized over 40 minutes for his career).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Okwandu averaged 15.4 minutes. Olander averaged 9.6. Their PF rate normalized over 40 minutes was 6.3 and 6.0, respectively. Olander was used the same in 2011 as he was in 2014. His most useful asset was his 5 fouls (though he did grab the occasional rebound), but Brimah and Nolan still started ahead of him by the end of the year. Oriakhi was the 2011 team's best center, but Olander did not start in place of him. They were on the floor at the same time. He did not start to save Okwandu either. If Okwandu was better than Olander it was not by a whole h3ll of a lot. They were more or less interchangeable parts. That is all I'm trying to say.

As for the first sub making them better, my guess is the first sub will be Cassell or Hamilton, Given a starting 5 of Boatright, Purvis, Calhoun, Nolan and Brimah to start the year. Facey will be second or third.

Be that as it may, it is nice to see 10 players have the ability to contribute. My guess is that the rotation will be whittled down to 8 by the end of the year.
Maybe. I doubt Brimah and Nolan are on the floor at the same time for any significant stretches, especially not at the start of a game. Our depth is too thin at center. Plus KO's statement that he wants run leads me to believe that we won't be going to a big line up often. I think the depth at guard and lack of it center will result in more 4 guard line ups. I think KO may have said as much. We'll see, but yes, it is good to have lots of options.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Maybe. I doubt Brimah and Nolan are on the floor at the same time for any significant stretches, especially not at the start of a game. Our depth is too thin at center. Plus KO's statement that he wants run leads me to believe that we won't be going to a big line up often. I think the depth at guard and lack of it center will result in more 4 guard line ups. I think KO may have said as much. We'll see, but yes, it is good to have lots of options.
Well it's certainly all conjecture, but I can't see not starting Brimah. First things first, is his length. he is already 7 feet tall and gives UConn an advantage for 1st possession. I know Robinson used to take jump balls instead of Thabeet (at 7'-3"), but I don't think they have any crazy athletic swingmen that approach Robinson (I could be wrong). If Nolan and Brimah are not included in the starting 5, that means that Facey and/or Lubin are/is. Facey would have had to improved by leaps and bounds from last year, and we don't know what Lubin is yet.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That is the question isn't it, if not both then who takes that slot? I'd guess Facey but would need to have a made a big jump. Most do, frosh to soph, but going from not playing to starter would be a huge. I like the Rock's size but I'll be surprised if he plays a lot of minutes this year.

Reaction Score
Who would be on first team All-Opponent Team (who hurt UConn especially)?
Perhaps there would be a single game category, where Elijah Allen might qualify for greatest individual performance in one game. Toby Bailey? Laettner?

There could also be a career category for opponents who we played multiple times, such as other Old Big East players: Kerry Kittles, Lawrence Moten, Darius Lane, Ontario Lett, Linehan, etc.

Who else should be first teamers?

Well I'm not saying he should top the list but the player who almost always seemed to do well against us was Peyton Siva, I honestly hated when he played against us. I kept thinking every year that he must have already graduated yet there he was yet again, its as if when the schedules were released he always circled the UConn games and tried 200% harder in them.

Reaction Score
Who was never in foul trouble (avg. 2.6 normalized over 40 minutes for his career).

Yeah, that wasn't due to foul trouble concerns. That was a strategic thing (bringing Bazz off the bench to change the game), which we pretty much stuck with the whole way, right up until the second half against Butler when we didn't bother waiting.

Reaction Score
You are not nitpicking. You are exactly correct. That's not the basis of the discussion though.

CL82 posited the possibility that Brimah would come off the bench to guard again early foul trouble and that Calhoun used the strategy with Tyler Olander.

I contend that Olander did not start in order to save Oriakhi from early foul trouble because Oriakhi was on the floor for the jump as well. Olander would have been on the floor to save Chales Okwandu from trouble, but that doesn't make any sense, because Okwandu wasn't substantially better.

While Oriakhi was more than wide and strong enough to play the position, he was undersized, height-wise at center. His most natural position was power forward.

I would argue that Okwandu was a good deal better than Olander in 2011. Chuck's biggest problem his entire career was rebounding (along with his high foul rate), but on that team, I never felt like rebounding was too much of a problem, and that allowed Chuck to succeed in the role he was given. Really, if we could have just blended Oriakhi and Okwandu into one player, it would have been perfect - what Chuck lacked in rebounding and offensive ability (Alex wasn't exactly the most skilled big we've had here, but he looked like McHale in comparison to Chuck), he was able to make up for with strong pick and roll defense, rim protection, and screening. He was our best defensive option at the five that year - he would occasionally be bullied by stronger centers (which contributed to the high foul rate), but he was more nimble than Oriakhi and had a longer wing-span. His defense on Derrick Williams on the final possession of the elite eight shouldn't be discounted.

Reaction Score
OK, hold the phone. Are we actually debating about what Oriakhi's best position was? It was very obviously center. He was great at center and then terrible at PF and then he left. Oriakhi was a center.

Reaction Score
OK, hold the phone. Are we actually debating about what Oriakhi's best position was? It was very obviously center. He was great at center and then terrible at PF and then he left. Oriakhi was a center.

Great center? really? He was an average player who played a 4/5 position but never a 5 completely. He should have been a solid PF but had stiff feet and forgot how to go to his strong hand which was his right instead electing to throw that crap up lefty and getting lucky once in a while. But when he was good he was a solid post player looking for weak side rebounds and put backs and playing strong opposing players on the baseline, hopefully not too far from the hoop. He was never "great" except maybe a couple of games in his career, but when he accepted his role he was very good on occasion I will admit that.

Reaction Score
Great center? really? He was an average player who played a 4/5 position but never a 5 completely. He should have been a solid PF but had stiff feet and forgot how to go to his strong hand which was his right instead electing to throw that crap up lefty and getting lucky once in a while. But when he was good he was a solid post player looking for weak side rebounds and put backs and playing strong opposing players on the baseline, hopefully not too far from the hoop. He was never "great" except maybe a couple of games in his career, but when he accepted his role he was very good on occasion I will admit that.

In 2011, he played almost exclusively at C, averaging 24.7mpg there, compared to less than 5 at forward. He was also the second-best player on a team that won a championship, so I'm not sure "average" really fits.

Reaction Score
In 2011, he played almost exclusively at C, averaging 24.7mpg there, compared to less than 5 at forward. He was also the second-best player on a team that won a championship, so I'm not sure "average" really fits.

Mau has HATED Oriakhi ever since he first got to UConn, perhaps longer than that.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
AO was much better at the 5 with limited minutes at the 4 than he was as a full time 4. Just as an overall observation we've done much better as a whole going small at the 4 (Freeman, Adrien, Smith, Daniels) than we have going big at the 4 (with Charlie/Josh as the one exception).

Reaction Score
where in the hell is this thread going? Where are more freaking practice tweets.

Staying_On_Topic_id640.jpg

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
fleudslipcon said:
Is Tyus Edney on this list?

No but Toby Bailey is

Reaction Score

He was average for most of the Big East season and not so average in the Maui and the tourney when needed. He was a nice player, I think Lamb was the 2nd best player and I'm guessing the NBA agreed as only one is there.

But again, not a fan so take it for what it's worth. Although johnhuskies thinks he knows it all and of course is off, i didn't HATE him from when he arrived just dislike him for what he did. To each their own, kiss his butt of you wish but he's forgotten here.

Reaction Score
He was average for most of the Big East season and not so average in the Maui and the tourney when needed. He was a nice player, I think Lamb was the 2nd best player and I'm guessing the NBA agreed as only one is there.

But again, not a fan so take it for what it's worth. Although johnhuskies thinks he knows it all and of course is off, i didn't HATE him from when he arrived just dislike him for what he did. To each their own, kiss his butt of you wish but he's forgotten here.

LMAO. You know that "forgotten" and "obsessed" are not synonyms, right?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Let's not perpetuate that meme. We all know that where a guy gets drafted, and if he's succeeding in the league, doesn't necessarily have much to do with how successful he was as a college player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom