Tweets from Practice | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tweets from Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
not that tc needed anymore like, but he should get 100 more likes, good stuff tc. We're going to make some noise this year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I love the conditioning Ollie's doing with this team. I honestly think is was a huge aspect to our run last year. Several teams that theoretically had more talent than us looked absolutely gassed. I think this is a hugely underrated component of Ollie's coaching.

One of the big differences/advantages between UCONN and the other teams we faced (Mich, UF, UK) is that our strength was on the perimeter, while there's was in the interior. Guards don't wear out as fast.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Ryan Boatright: “No baskets. Didn’t touch a ball the whole time we were over there, two hours, all running. I walked in, I was like, ‘where the balls at? Oh, man, we in trouble.’”

That right there is the best quote of the lot.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
OMG how great would it be if we use our depth and athleticism and uptempo every game? We have the athletes to do it. The Pitt style 61-58 rockfights are always a crapshoot. Get it in the high 70's or low 80's and rack up the W's.
The problem comes when youre playing other schools with better athletes who play the same style. Like do we really want to get into a track meet with Kentucky or Kansas? Our edge last year was that we would slow the tempo, space the floor, limit their possessions and run pro style plays. Double ball screens, pick n roll, ect.

Reaction Score
Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout · 5m5 minutes ago
With the second team Purvis, Cassell, Hamilton, Lubin, Brimah.

Lol, our 2nd team could easily win 20 games in a P5. More like 25 in the AAC.
Good to know that a team consisting of: hasn't played a game in 20 months, never played a college game, never played a college game, never played a college game, and Brimah could "easily" win 20 games in a P5 conference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good to know that a team consisting of: hasn't played a game in 20 months, never played a college game, never played a college game, never played a college game, and Brimah could "easily" win 20 games in a P5 conference.

In terms of being a bigger stretch: That lineup actually being the 2nd team >>>>>> That lineup being a 20 win P5 starting lineup

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The problem comes when youre playing other schools with better athletes who play the same style. Like do we really want to get into a track meet with Kentucky or Kansas? Our edge last year was that we would slow the tempo, space the floor, limit their possessions and run pro style plays. Double ball screens, pick n roll, ect.

I would love to get in a track meet with anyone. It'll take UConn's combo of athleticism, physicality, experience and coaching over anyone.

Reaction Score
“I learned more about ‘team.’ Hard times through the season, if you stay together it makes things a whole lot easier. We try to preach that to the younger guys. I know for a fact, not many teams have genuine love and care for each other as much as we do. We show it each and every day, even with you guys [the media] not in here, we’d be picking guys up because that’s what we do. We take that back to our apartments every day, and in the locker room. We’vce all got each other’s back no matter what.”

The Ferrari said it all.........this is exciting coming from a guy of his caliber. All about the "brotherhood" as KO said and you hear it somewhere in everyone's quotes. The chemistry alone could make this a special team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

I see and saw no problem with UConn's uptempo game. The problem is that they don't use it enough. Ask the squid how much he liked the uptempo we've shown UK. Kansas is not an what one would call a real running team- they may look it in highlight clips but overall they play halfcourt. They don't inbound and run.

I read and saw all the clips from today's practice and I couldn't be more excited.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
we'll be so much better if calhoun is back, being able to bring players of Hamilton purvis and brimas caliber off the bench is the sign of a DEEP team. Sounds like lubins a beast, already going soft on our bigs. Any word on facey? New starting pf who was a bench warmer on last years team

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
gtcam said:
I see and saw no problem with UConn's uptempo game. The problem is that they don't use it enough. Ask the squid how much he liked the uptempo we've shown UK. Kansas is not an what one would call a real running team- they may look it in highlight clips but overall they play halfcourt. They don't inbound and run.

I read and saw all the clips from today's practice and I couldn't be more excited.

Had trouble finishing and attacking in numbers. The uncontested breaks during the postseason were not representative.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well assuming Boat's right (see what I did there?) and we are a faster team than last year I'm looking forward to up tempo games. That is fun basketball to watch. To me the question is how well will the newbs defend. We'll get our points, we just need to stick to our bread and butter and taking people out of their game plans.

Reaction Score
Well assuming Boat's right (see what I did there?) and we are a faster team than last year I'm looking forward to up tempo games. That is fun basketball to watch. To me the question is how well will the newbs defend. We'll get our points, we just need to stick to our bread and butter and taking people out of their game plans.

I think Hamilton mentioned your point CL82, saying they can and will score points but will get back and get stops too, which will help create the points. He's already drinking the KoolAid and we've heard Lubin talk of rebounding and defending being his job. Also in one thing I read last night Rodney talked about how people don't realize he can really get in people's faces on defense............KO and staff's message is being heard loud and clear from what I can see and this UConn team will certainly be very interesting to watch grow over the next few months.

Imagine how much fun and excitement we are having as fans after the first practice yet we don't need to have NBA combines and 5 v 5 crap, our guys just win NC's............you hear that Diamond, Chris, Tevin, Jonesy??;)

Reaction Score
I think Hamilton mentioned your point CL82, saying they can and will score points but will get back and get stops too, which will help create the points. He's already drinking the KoolAid and we've heard Lubin talk of rebounding and defending being his job. Also in one thing I read last night Rodney talked about how people don't realize he can really get in people's faces on defense..KO and staff's message is being heard loud and clear from what I can see and this UConn team will certainly be very interesting to watch grow over the next few months.

Imagine how much fun and excitement we are having as fans after the first practice yet we don't need to have NBA combines and 5 v 5 crap, our guys just win NC's..you hear that Diamond, Chris, Tevin, Jonesy??;)

Rodney made life hell for our guards 2 years ago... he is a big strong guard that can move his feet

Reaction Score
I'll take a re-do of that D that we were throwing at opposing guards in the tourney last year… You could just see the exasperation in their faces as the games wore on… They couldn't run anything in the second half of those games…

That's where the conditioning comes in & KO knows it… Take the stairs, boys!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
In the past, teams have gone to zone to try to slow down the games against us by controlling tempo. It has been successful for the most part unless we have an experienced, savvy point guard. Marcus, AJ, Kemba, and Shabazz were all able to attack and defeat the zone defenses when they were at the top of their games. Without the outside shooting that we had last year, this year's team will have to develop the patience to work the ball to get good shots. This is one area that I think Boat will need to really develop his game, especially with so many young players around him.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'll take a re-do of that D that we were throwing at opposing guards in the tourney last year… You could just see the exasperation in their faces as the games wore on… They couldn't run anything in the second half of those games…

That's where the conditioning comes in & KO knows it… Take the stairs, boys!
I think it more than exasperation, it was hesitation, frustration, then exasperation and finally resignation, especially with Wilebekin. It just seemed like they new that they weren't going to get their first, second or third option. Boat was the catalyst for that. If the new guys make the same commitment we will be a very difficult team to beat.

Reaction Score
I love the conditioning Ollie's doing with this team. I honestly think is was a huge aspect to our run last year. Several teams that theoretically had more talent than us looked absolutely gassed. I think this is a hugely underrated component of Ollie's coaching.

To add to your point we also made other teams look slow. We made MSU look like they were running in mollasses and then did the same to UF and UK in the F4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom