Tweets from Practice | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Tweets from Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein · 20m20 minutes ago
UConn doesn't have anyone to bail them out at the end of the shot clock like Shabazz Napier did last year. Lots of good players. Great ones?

Ummm I'm pretty sure Mr. Boatright did both in the last two games of 2013 (Providence) and 2014 (National Champ game). Boatright is one of the best end of shot clock players in the country, Jon. Focus on Iona and Seton Hall bud

Damnit, Rothstein. How could he forget the 2013 Providence game?

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
@JonRothstein: UConn's Phil Nolan has gained 20 pounds since the end of last season, Kevin Ollie told @CBSSports. Will be in mix at PF with Kentan Facey.

I said a bunch of times that I don't expect to see Phil at 4 much. Still think that but we'll see.
Im pretty sure KO said himself that Phil will spend some time at the 4. He also said though that K-Face "will be our 4 man". I think we'll see Phil there when Facey is in foul trouble, or D-Ham there when both of them are in foul trouble.

I'm trying to stay realistic with Lubin. I know that he says he can rebound, and he's physically intimidating, but the kid has almost no skills, offensively especially but also defensively. I really do not think he's going to get as much playing time as some of you think. I may be wrong though, but I think we'll see mostly Facey at the 4 with Phil and D-Ham helping out sometimes. At least for this year, I think Lubin will be a "garbage time" type of player.

Reaction Score
Before we set off to destroy Jon's credibility he was the first to say this:

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 12 Oct 2013
LOVE Marcus Smart but after watching Shabazz Napier yesterday I have no doubts that the UConn senior the best guard in college basketball.
True, but...

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 5.15.43 PM.png

Reaction Score
Im pretty sure KO said himself that Phil will spend some time at the 4. He also said though that K-Face "will be our 4 man". I think we'll see Phil there when Facey is in foul trouble, or D-Ham there when both of them are in foul trouble.

I'm trying to stay realistic with Lubin. I know that he says he can rebound, and he's physically intimidating, but the kid has almost no skills, offensively especially but also defensively. I really do not think he's going to get as much playing time as some of you think. I may be wrong though, but I think we'll see mostly Facey at the 4 with Phil and D-Ham helping out sometimes. At least for this year, I think Lubin will be a "garbage time" type of player.

The only thing I will say is how do any of us know if he has any or no "skills" as you say? i'm assuming you are guessing? And for anyone to assume Kentan will suddenly be a student of the game , well that's crazy too. No one knows about these guys and mostly those 2. What I will say while KF was athletic and he had ability he wasn't fundamentally strong on either end and not physically strong either. There is something to be said for 6'7" 250 and a rock even if not totally skilled - space and physical toughness is not something you teach.

I will say this, these 2 guys are very important to what happens this year though, one or both need to have an impact on the court for our depth and size.

And another thing, people will be surprised I believe at how often Phil and AB will be on the court together!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The only thing I will say is how do any of us know if he has any or no "skills" as you say? i'm assuming you are guessing? And for anyone to assume Kentan will suddenly be a student of the game , well that's crazy too. No one knows about these guys and mostly those 2. What I will say while KF was athletic and he had ability he wasn't fundamentally strong on either end and not physically strong either. There is something to be said for 6'7" 250 and a rock even if not totally skilled - space and physical toughness is not something you teach.

I will say this, these 2 guys are very important to what happens this year though, one or both need to have an impact on the court for our depth and size.

And another thing, people will be surprised I believe at how often Phil and AB will be on the court together!

If we are going to increase points in transition by 10 PPG then we have to board. Whoever is at the 4 has to clean the glass.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

I will be. Our strength is our guard play. I can't see risking the two guys who can actually give us a true center at the same time. Keep in mind that KO has also said that we will play small and run this year with four guys who take the ball end to end and score. That means that either Phil or Amida will need to be on the bench. I can see it situationally though.

Last edited:

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score

Dont compare Kentan Facey to Rakim Lubin. We know much more about Facey. And KO has said that Facey will be his PF. That's already a known. From the videos and full games that I have watched of Lubin, I can say that he really does not have much skill at all. He's also incredibly foul prone, which is not good for someone of his size and skill. He could surprise us though, but Facey was a top 100 recruit with insane athleticism and shooting ability. Lubin was not a ranked. And did not look good in any game that I watched of his. Sure, he can push people out of the way and have the ball fall in his lap, but we need more than that for him to truly make a positive contribution. He won't play if thats all he can do.

Reaction Score
I will be. Our strength is our guard play. I can't see risking the two guys who can actually give us a true center at the same time. Keep in mind that KO has also said that we will play small and run this year with four guys who take the ball end to end and score. That means that either Phil or Amida will need to on the bench. I can see it situationally though.

Not a "ton" but a lot more than people may think is my point......can't run without rebounding the basketball and I realize neither ofthem through up big numbers but I expect both to be better in that part of their game. Also Phil can defend the low block and the other guy is an off the ball shot blocker so together they are more formidable on that end.

Reaction Score
Damnit, Rothstein. How could he forget the 2013 Providence game?

I mentioned the last two season ending games off the top of my head where Boatright happened to hit game winners. He has plenty more. Are you saying that one of the most dynamic and athletic guards in the country hasn't and won't hit shots at the end of the shot clock? He has done it SEVERAL times over the last 3 years so just shut up.

Reaction Score
I mentioned the last two season ending games off the top of my head where Boatright happened to hit game winners. He has plenty more. Are you saying that one of the most dynamic and athletic guards in the country hasn't and won't hit shots at the end of the shot clock? He has done it SEVERAL times over the last 3 years so just shut up.

Going back I believe Omar also hit a few late daggers. If he does return to from he may have something to say about that!

Reaction Score

Holy , relax.

Reaction Score
Remembered I had a post about this, so I did some digging and found it:
Boatright has the clutch gene in him. We just never noticed because he was playing side-by-side with the most clutch player in UConn's history. I can't wait to see what he is able to do now that he is running the team.

As evidence for his clutchness, here you go:

• 6 baskets with less than 20 seconds remaining (albeit in 1st half) in games vs. Detroit, @ SMU, @ Memphis, vs. Houston, vs. Memphis in AAC Tourney, and vs. St. Joseph's.
  • At Cinci, he had the pull-up 3 pointer that pulled UConn within one point with about 20 seconds left in the game.
  • He had the buzzer-beater block against Boston College.
  • Against Providence, he hit the and-1 in OT to go up by 3 with 20 seconds left.
  • Against Syracuse, he hit a buzzer beater 3 at the end of the first half.
  • He found Omar Calhoun for the tying three against Georgetown.
And how about his very first game in a UConn uniform? With ice in his veins, he knocks down 3 free throws against FSU to tie the game and send it in to OT.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I were to guess I say that DHam and Facey will each have more minutes at the 4 slot than Phil.

Reaction Score
Holy , relax.

Sorry for getting worked up at you bc you are a UConn fan, but arguing that we aren't good at the end of a shot clock is probably the dumbest thing I've heard from a national writer. It is even more preposterous because BoatShow literally specializes in that with his athletic ability and the way he can free space on his jump shot. Coming from a national writer (that doesn't do his homework) like Jon Rothstein does sorta upset me.

Reaction Score

Also lost in 2013 is the step back jumper he hit @ Marquette to put us up three w/ five seconds left. Obviously that was forgotten because of what came next. I believe he also converted some clutch free throws @ Notre Dame that same season.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
Early prediction on UConn starting five --- Ryan Boatright, Sam Cassell Jr., Rodney Purvis, Daniel Hamilton, Amida Brimah....

I think that the proper Boneyard term is "clutchiness," not "clutchness"...kind of like Fishy's recent nomination of himself for the name above the Champions Center: The "Fishy Center for Hoopiness." An oldtime poster who moved on liked to talk about "truthiness." It's a weird Boneyard thing that needs to be preserved as a tiny piece of the Boneyard Heritage that generates mojo and delusions of shared greatness.

Reaction Score
I always say that I'm an old fart, not that familiar with twitter and tweets, but it seems some of us taking these tweets way too serious. I know its been like a desert for us since March and 10 word tweets feels like a bucket of H2O but has it even even been two weeks? Its practice, no games played, no rotation set and reading some of our posts/responses makes it seem its January already. Lastly we all know that some players are great practice players and others are true gamers.

Just sayin, to me, tweets this year are enjoyable tidbits yet somewhat shallow brain farts (sorry observations). It is good however to read something 'live' about UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
I were to guess I say that DHam and Facey will each have more minutes at the 4 slot than Phil.

I hope Facey is ready and also Rock. I think we will go small and use DHam there too, but me thinks people underestimate Phil.

Reaction Score
I think that the proper Boneyard term is "clutchiness," not "clutchness"...kind of like Fishy's recent nomination of himself for the name above the Champions Center: The "Fishy Center for Hoopiness." An oldtime poster who moved on liked to talk about "truthiness." It's a weird Boneyard thing that needs to be preserved as a tiny piece of the Boneyard Heritage that generates mojo and delusions of shared greatness.
I think the proper term is ballsiness and testiculonocity

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

KO said he's an absolute beast on the boards in practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom