Tweets from Practice | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tweets from Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
boubacar ow seemed to always shut down ray...

chevy troutman and knight from pitt come to mind too.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Pretty soon, you guys will have named every player in the big east from 1995 to 2012. Doesn't anyone remember that we dominated the BE for most of that time? These guys couldn't all have killed us, or we'd have lost a whole lot more than we did.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yeah and he didn't even play against us..actually the Mizzou defense is on our * list more than he.
I think he got 22 pts and 10 assists against UConn but people are correct Bailey had a career high 26.

Reaction Score
Jack "the shot" Foley, early 60's from Holy Cross - put up 56 on UConn. Now that dude could score.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Any updates on practices #2/3?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
In terms of being a bigger stretch: That lineup actually being the 2nd team >>>>>> That lineup being a 20 win P5 starting lineup
I don't think that is the second team. In scrimmages, it is rarely first team vs. second team.

I think a better description would be one team vs. the other.

Unless Brimah is hurt, I don't think there any way he doesn't start...Purvis either. Boatright is a given.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think that is the second team. In scrimmages, it is rarely first team vs. second team.

I think a better description would be one team vs. the other.

Unless Brimah is hurt, I don't think there any way he doesn't start...Purvis either. Boatright is a given.
I wouldn't be surprised if Brimah didn't start to protect him from picking up quick fouls. Plus having come off the bench say at the 5 minute mark is a good way to keep the opposing team off balance. He'll have starters minutes though so long as he doesn't foul excessively.

I think you put Boat and Purvis on different teams just to create balance plus it makes them both better.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if Brimah didn't start to protect him from picking up quick fouls. Plus having come off the bench say at the 5 minute mark is a good way to keep the opposing team off balance. He'll have starters minutes though so long as he doesn't foul excessively.

I think you put Boat and Purvis on different teams just to create balance plus it makes them both better.
That's what I'm trying to say. There is no way this was the projected starting 5 vs. the bench.

I disagree about Brimah. You risk falling into an early hole with your best interior defender on the bench and there is no guarantee that he won't pick up 2 quick fouls after the first TV time out, either. At that point you can't get any of those minutes back. I find that to be a bad strategy.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I disagree about Brimah. You risk falling into an early hole with your best interior defender on the bench and there is no guarantee that he won't pick up 2 quick fouls after the first TV time out, either. At that point you can't get any of those minutes back. I find that to be a bad strategy.

And frankly, the reality is we have no idea what his foul rate will look like this year. Presumably, the game will slow down for him this year. Increased knowledge of positioning, when to go for the block, etc. will help in this respect as well. I think he even improved a bit towards the end of last year.

CL82

Reaction Score
That's what I'm trying to say. There is no way this was the projected starting 5 vs. the bench.

Yeah, I knew what you were saying I was agreeing with you on Boat and RP.

Re Brimah, keep in mind that JC used this "bad strategy" giving TO early minutes. If Brimah still has foul issues I can see Ollie doing it.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yeah, I knew what you were saying I was agreeing with you on Boat and RP.

Re Brimah, keep in mind that JC used this "bad strategy" giving TO early minutes. If Brimah still has foul issues I can see Ollie doing it.
In lieu of who? Calhoun never coached Brimah.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
In lieu of who? Calhoun never coached Brimah.

Okwandu/Roscoe. AO was the other guy on the front line.

He did it most tournament games iirc.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Okwandu/Roscoe. AO was the other guy on the front line.

He did it most tournament games iirc.
Roscoe Smith and Alex Oriaki played a different position than Tyler Olander and were also starters. Okwando was not a starter because he was not the best player at his position.

The one year that Olander and Okwando played with each other, Charles averaged 15 minutes a game, to Tyler's 9, but he was more or less equally as bad. They both averaged 6.3 fouls per 40 minutes. IIRC Oriaki was the most effective "center" on that team, playing out of position, But again he was a starter at PF. Olander didn't take any minutes away from him.

Reaction Score
Roscoe Smith and Alex Oriaki played a different position than Tyler Olander and were also starters. Okwando was not a starter because he was not the best player at his position.

The one year that Olander and Okwando played with each other, Charles averaged 15 minutes a game, to Tyler's 9, but he was more or less equally as bad. They both averaged 6.3 fouls per 40 minutes. IIRC Oriaki was the most effective "center" on that team, playing out of position, But again he was a starter at PF. Olander didn't take any minutes away from him.

Sorry to nitpick but Oriakhi at C wasn't really playing out of position, its where he was best suited at in the college game. Bazz, Kemba, Lamb, Scoe, and AO was the best lineup, it just wasn't the starting lineup.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Sorry to nitpick but Oriakhi at C wasn't really playing out of position, its where he was best suited at in the college game. Bazz, Kemba, Lamb, Scoe, and AO was the best lineup, it just wasn't the starting lineup.
You are not nitpicking. You are exactly correct. That's not the basis of the discussion though.

CL82 posited the possibility that Brimah would come off the bench to guard again early foul trouble and that Calhoun used the strategy with Tyler Olander.

I contend that Olander did not start in order to save Oriakhi from early foul trouble because Oriakhi was on the floor for the jump as well. Olander would have been on the floor to save Chales Okwandu from trouble, but that doesn't make any sense, because Okwandu wasn't substantially better.

While Oriakhi was more than wide and strong enough to play the position, he was undersized, height-wise at center. His most natural position was power forward.

Reaction Score
That's not the basis of the discussion though. CL82 posited the possibility that Brimah would come off the bench to guard again early foul trouble and that Calhoun used the strategy with Tyler Olander.

I contend that Olander did not start in order to save Oriakhi from early foul trouble because Oriakhi was on the floor for the jump as well. While Oriakhi was more than wide and strong enough to play the position, he was undersized, height-wise at center. His most natural position was power forward.

Wasn't arguing any of the original points, just noticed that you said AO wasn't playing out of position at C and disagreed. Just to introduce a player comparison, pre-NBA draft Emeka measured in at 6'10" with shoes, weighing 257lbs, and a 7'4" wingspan. Pre-draft AO measured 6'9.5" with shoes, weighing 258lbs, and a 7'3.75 wingspan. Emeka and Alex were nearly identical in size, did you honestly feel Emeka was undersized as a college C? I never did and felt the same thing with Alex, there aren't many college Cs that are exceding those dimensions.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Wasn't arguing any of the original points, just noticed that you said AO wasn't playing out of position at C and disagreed. Just to introduce a player comparison, pre-NBA draft Emeka measured in at 6'10" with shoes, weighing 257lbs, and a 7'4" wingspan. Pre-draft AO measured 6'9.5" with shoes, weighing 258lbs, and a 7'3.75 wingspan. Emeka and Alex were nearly identical in size, did you honestly feel Emeka was undersized as a college C? I never did and felt the same thing with Alex, there aren't many college Cs that are exceding those dimensions.
That's interesting. I didn't know that. On the other hand, Emeka's game was different than Oriakhi's. I never felt that Oriakhi was asked to be a rim protector.

CL82

Reaction Score
You are not nitpicking. You are exactly correct. That's not the basis of the discussion though.

CL82 posited the possibility that Brimah would come off the bench to guard again early foul trouble and that Calhoun used the strategy with Tyler Olander.

I contend that Olander did not start in order to save Oriakhi from early foul trouble because Oriakhi was on the floor for the jump as well. Olander would have been on the floor to save Chales Okwandu from trouble, but that doesn't make any sense, because Okwandu wasn't substantially better.

While Oriakhi was more than wide and strong enough to play the position, he was undersized, height-wise at center. His most natural position was power forward.

From Olander's Bio:
As a Freshman in 2010-11: Appeared in 39 games, starting 21... Averaged 1.5 points and 1.8 rebounds in 9.6 minutes per game... Recorded 0.7 points and 1.0 rebounds in BIG EAST play...

TO didn't play a lot or have great numbers but he did start. I remember Calhoun talking about using him to make sure we didn't pick up early fouls. I guess it was to protect Okwandu who I would guess played about double the minutes with double the production, probably more blocks though. If I get ambitious tonight I'll try to see if I can find the article.

As I said in other threads JC used to say your first sub should make you better. I can see a scenario where Brimah comes in at the first timeout and forces teams to adjust to the big shot blocker. Now if AB's got his fouling issues resolved and can stay on the floor more minutes, maybe you are right. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom