Tremont Waters | Page 46 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveMeSomeUC

"My point being" James A. Calhoun
Reaction Score
They need to hit on a top scoring guard next year. Jalen is taking so much attention from the D. This team needs a top 30-40 ranked scorer in the next recruiting class. AJ Reeves looks like a really good player, but honestly UConn needs to set their sights even higher.
Getting a top guard is crucial! I hightly doubt JA comes back for his senior season after making a public statement about coming back for junior year. Saying you talked to your family and thought about options means writing is on the wall.

Reaction Score
In any sport, in recruiting and in a game, you got to protect your own turf. You can say all you want about Enoch, Heron and Waters - but when you don't have some representation of the top instate guys on the
roster that's a major problem for a State U.

As usual in his genius, Coach Calhoun recognized that from day one and we made it a focus - Chris Smith, Scott Burrell, Maury Williams, Rash Jones, Doug Wiggins and Edmund Saunders.

KO loves to tell players either on the roster or potential recruits coming in - take it or leave it. I think you can maintain control, maintain your ego and be more successful by being more nuance. It doesn't hurt to listen - take some constructive criticism and refine your communication to get better a better result. I always thought this would be a KO strength - but it's been just the opposite.

I thought the Team USA assistant coach gig was a great opportunity for a coach who could relate to players and built relationships - but he did not parley that into any success, which makes one question the underlying assumptions?

Sorry BS meter just went up again Chief. You certainly want your top in state players, if they are worthy and if they care about their state. But let's be honest the state isn't growing studs at the rate it may have yesteryear when Bridgeport, New Haven and Hartford had ample supply of players who were D1 worthy. Steve Enoch said yes, he didn't work out. Heron, his dad hasn't liked anything from his home town or home state since the kid was born so who cares. Waters, not much different than Heron. Honestly not much to blame the staff on at all, nothing much happening in the state for good basketball players worthy of playing at UConn. Just check the national rankings hard to find "Connecticut" in any that's for sure. Keep trying to find more reasons though to crap on KO and his staff even with Miller gone.

Reaction Score
Getting a top guard is crucial! I hightly doubt JA comes back for his senior season after making a public statement about coming back for junior year. Saying you talked to your family and thought about options means writing is on the wall.
UConn has a top guard. In fact, we have 2. UConn needs to go back to getting a prototypical wing. Guys like Rip and Rudy. When UConn dominated, outside of 2004, the offense revolved around a 6' 6 wing!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Boat talked about leaving after his sophomore season. Stayed four years. He had Kemba speed, scorer and lockdown defender. Learned to play PG where he will play for many years as a professional. Jalen needs to stay in college and grow like Kemba and Boat. Kemba was ready after Junior year. Huge difference in maturity and game from sophomore to Junior year. Let's hope Jalen has that kind of off season. The areas he needs to grow in have been discussed on this board many times.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
This is classic BY behavior. Anyone pretending that Anderson is a good 4th guard and not a reach for UConn standards is being a homer. We wanted Waters bad and he didn't want us, end of story. Now we are focusing on bigs...what bigs??
I would love to have Waters on the team - if, and only if, he is excited abound suiting up for UConn, wants to be part of the team working for title number 5, and isn't holding the threat of a transfer if he or his dad aren't happy with playing time, usage, number of shots, or some other selfish nonsense. If those things are in the baggage he brings, then he ain't got ten toes in.

Reaction Score
He hasn't even committed anywhere and this thread has posters already doing a 180. If he commits year this board is going to be completely turned inside out. God I need that to happen.

Reaction Score
The way this thread has been going, I'm expecting some sort of news to come up today where Tremont is interested in UConn again. I can't see KO just giving up on a CT guy when we have 4 scholarships avaliable. It's not like we have 1 scholarship and would be missing out on someone else by focusing on Tremont.

Reaction Score
If we can get a good grad transfer to play the 3 like Alstork or McIntosh, I'm fine with passing/missing on Waters as long as we go hard for Quickley and Dort. I love Jalen Carey too, but getting a 5 star talent to replace (theoretically) Jalen would become very important.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's one thing for UConn not to be a kid's first choice, I can live with that. But it is an entirely different thing when a kid appears to be completely ambivalent or dismissing about the possibility of playing at UConn and appearing to only be considering coming here if nothing else materializes. That is not a kid I want in national flag blue and white.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Lol, I actually enjoy following recruiting, but some of you are in it way too deep.
I don't follow recruiting and this is exactly why. Until a kid puts on a UConn uniform I'm not going to waste a lot of time worrying about him. After he puts on a uniform, then I will pay attention during the games. The rest of the time it seems pretty creepy for grown men to be stalking teenage boys.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Like, sure, I'd love to date the most beautiful woman on the planet, but at the end of the day, one of the biggest requirements I have in a girlfriend is that she actually wants to date me, and not my sweater vest-wearing cokehead step-brother.

the most beautiful women in the world like sweater vests? News to me. Coke, I can see...but sweater vests?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This applies to every top recruit in the history of the world.

So you'd consider someone like Vance's dad similar to....say Kemba's?

No idea what Tremont's dad is like, but they aren't all one and the same.

Reaction Score
It's one thing for UConn not to be a kid's first choice, I can live with that. But it is an entirely different thing when a kid appears to be completely ambivalent or dismissing about the possibility of playing at UConn and appearing to only be considering coming here if nothing else materializes. That is not a kid I want in national flag blue and white.

He wants starter's minutes immediately.

This has to be the long and short of it.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Can't believe all the conjecture on a kid, his family and other programs. It is OK to say "I really don't know anything" or better yet, don't post.
You don't know this kid or family.
Want to know why more top schools didn't offer?
Maybe it is because, like Gilbert, he is about 5' 9". Or you can guess there is something pathological going on. But I think he received great overactive his height.
And what is with not understanding ambivalence in making the biggest decision in one's life? How did/will your kids approach college? They all just applied to one college? Just UConn?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
In any sport, in recruiting and in a game, you got to protect your own turf. You can say all you want about Enoch, Heron and Waters - but when you don't have some representation of the top instate guys on the
roster that's a major problem for a State U.

Generally, I agree.

But there are some very good reasons why the best player in state last year opted to go to Auburn of all places.

Having Waters opt for Georgetown earlier was a bad look in a vacuum, but in a scenario where UConn signed MAL, it's fine.

If Waters opts for Western Kentucky, well, things happen for a reason and we'll get someone else in 2018.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
The next time TW says something strong & positive about Storrs will be the first. Luckily this won't drag on like Hami. He's already turned us down once for a coach that was fired & a GTown team in disarray. Who knows what he's thinking.

pj

Reaction Score
Can't believe all the conjecture on a kid, his family and other programs. It is OK to say "I really don't know anything" or better yet, don't post.
You don't know this kid or family.
Want to know why more top schools didn't offer?
Maybe it is because, like Gilbert, he is about 5' 9". Or you can guess there is something pathological going on. But I think he received great overactive his height.
And what is with not understanding ambivalence in making the biggest decision in one's life? How did/will your kids approach college? They all just applied to one college? Just UConn?

His height may be why Kentucky didn't offer -- they want NBA size because their pitch is they get players to the NBA -- but it's not why other programs passed. He can be a great college player, and his height may make him a 4-year player which makes him valuable as a stabilizer even at the top programs like Duke.

There is something else, and the obvious guess is perceived selfishness (bargaining for a promise of minutes, shots, whatever).

Reaction Score
I see both sides, like mauconnfan said, you can't just look at the surface of it all because when you dig deeper and take player by player there are some strong and valid reasons why the recruit didn't workout or why he didn't decide to come to Storrs, love the back & forth though between the both of you, great stuff!!
Sorry BS meter just went up again Chief. You certainly want your top in state players, if they are worthy and if they care about their state. But let's be honest the state isn't growing studs at the rate it may have yesteryear when Bridgeport, New Haven and Hartford had ample supply of players who were D1 worthy. Steve Enoch said yes, he didn't work out. Heron, his dad hasn't liked anything from his home town or home state since the kid was born so who cares. Waters, not much different than Heron. Honestly not much to blame the staff on at all, nothing much happening in the state for good basketball players worthy of playing at UConn. Just check the national rankings hard to find "Connecticut" in any that's for sure. Keep trying to find more reasons though to crap on KO and his staff even with Miller gone.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I see both sides, like mauconnfan said, you can't just look at the surface of it all because when you dig deeper and take player by player there are some strong and valid reasons why the recruit didn't workout or why he didn't decide to come to Storrs

This in a nutshell. I don't know why people try to connect totally disparate situations, and eras even. Too many moving parts.

People want a nice easy talking point to support their narrative I guess.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
could we lock this thread? all the comments for the last 15 pages are speculation and recycled garbage

C

Chief00

In Boston today for Easter - more detailed response later. I will tell you the high level view on state kids - all the kids I mentioned led to getting Drummond in 2012 - the #1 player in the nation. You need to built the culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom