Transfers (merged threads) | Page 28 | The Boneyard

Transfers (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Evina is not that good . Poor decision maker with a shaky handle. Doubt she has a big impact

I don’t think that’s a completely fair assessment considering Holly’s proven lack of player development. Her assist to turnover ratio was high, but there wasn’t a ton of coaching happening in Knoxville...

Reaction Score
I don’t think that’s a completely fair assessment considering Holly’s proven lack of player development. Her assist to turnover ratio was high, but there wasn’t a ton of coaching happening in Knoxville...

She had alot of dumb turnovers. Some things shouldnt have to be taught. She hurt the team just a much as she helped. Bonehead turnovers were an understatement. Please go back and watch again for yourself.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
She had alot of dumb turnovers. Some things shouldnt have to be taught. She hurt the team just a much as she helped. Bonehead turnovers were an understatement. Please go back and watch again for yourself.

lol. Are you telling me that a player who hasn’t really been coached for two years while making the jump from high school to college isn’t going to make boneheaded turnovers? Okay.

And you’re right, some things shouldn’t have to be taught. ONO shouldn’t have to be taught to keep the ball above her head and, even after a year of actual coaching, she doesn’t always leave it up. They’re human.

I’ve watched more LV basketball this year than I’d care to admit to, and EW was in a position to make a lot of those turnovers because she was playing PG when she isn’t one. She is playing out of position and she isn’t being coached in that position (like Mulkey with Jackson).

But that’s cool if you think she should go elsewhere, I’m sure some combination of Molly and Kyla (who I adore, btw), will do just fine. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

A lot of her to's were due to team mates who either can't catch or don't look. But others will promise minutes. Besides, if she has to sit she will bump against the 2020's. IMO you can't turn down talent like she has but if she goes elsewhere I won't be disappointed.

Reaction Score
A lot of her to's were due to team mates who either can't catch or don't look. But others will promise minutes. Besides, if she has to sit she will bump against the 2020's. IMO you can't turn down talent like she has but if she goes elsewhere I won't be disappointed.

She won't have to sit. New rule passed where if your school gets a new head coach and you are enrolled at the new school for the summer session, you are eligible right away.

Reaction Score
She won't have to sit. New rule passed where if your school gets a new head coach and you are enrolled at the new school for the summer session, you are eligible right away.

Good to hear. Thanks.

So when is CVS going to retire and free up Davenport?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

Agreed. If she’s really interested and ready to leave the drama behind, I think it could be a really good option for next year, but I won’t be upset if she doesn’t sign, either.

Reaction Score
Good to hear. Thanks.

So when is CVS going to retire and free up Davenport?
Looked on the Internet about NCAA transfer rules, best I could determine the losing school must approve the 1 year sit out waiver so unless UT approves the waiver I think Westbrook will have to sit out a year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Looked on the Internet about NCAA transfer rules, best I could determine the losing school must approve the 1 year sit out waiver so unless UT approves the waiver I think Westbrook will have to sit out a year.
I don’t believe there’s ever been an instance when a coach was let go that a school did not approve a waiver for immediate eligibility.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Promise Taylor's waiver was not approved at Mississippi State after Matt Insell was fired at Ole Miss.
A couple points. It was an intra-conference transfer between two in-state rivals. I am not sure if it applied in this particular instance, but there are cases when a transfer’s academic progress figures into the decision. Finally, we have seen an acceleration of more liberal transfer eligibility rules in just the past few years. I would not expect Westbrook to face any difficulty securing immediate eligibility.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
A couple points. It was an intra-conference transfer between two in-state rivals. I am not sure if it applied in this particular instance, but there are cases when a transfer’s academic progress figures into the decision. Finally, we have seen an acceleration of more liberal transfer eligibility rules in just the past few years. I would not expect Westbrook to face any difficulty securing immediate eligibility.
Somehow the idea of Tennessee granting the waiver knowing they're headed up to Storrs to face the Huskies (and, if they granted it, Westbrook) this fall makes me think they'd more than hesitate to grant it if she were to transfer to UConn. Even close to a decade after Pat retired from the program, IMHO the women's basketball rivalry between UConn and UT is far, far more rivalrous than MSU and Ole Miss.

But who knows. KJH may be inclined to be nicer than Pat ever was! But granting it, having her transfer to UConn, and then having to play her this fall would be more than a little bit of a slap in the face, given how Westbrook's tenure at UT ended and the history between the two programs.

Reaction Score

The rule just changed.

CE5FBD9C-BE0D-4DC3-AD12-A1CEB3366649.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Promise Taylor's waiver was not approved at Mississippi State after Matt Insell was fired at Ole Miss.
One additional question. Do we know if MS St actually requested a waiver? Taylor would have been a backup all season behind SEC POY Tiera McCowan. By sitting out a year, Vic potentially gets to have her as his starting center for 3 yrs.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
The rule just changed.

View attachment 42455
The way I read the term "incoming college athletes" makes me think that only applies to freshmen and transfers, not to Westbrook, who would not be an incoming college athlete vis-a-vis Tennessee.

ETA: sure enough, Raoul's blog clarified that this does not apply to returning players.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Somehow the idea of Tennessee granting the waiver knowing they're headed up to Storrs to face the Huskies (and, if they granted it, Westbrook) this fall makes me think they'd more than hesitate to grant it if she were to transfer to UConn. Even close to a decade after Pat retired from the program, IMHO the women's basketball rivalry between UConn and UT is far, far more rivalrous than MSU and Ole Miss.

But who knows. KJH may be inclined to be nicer than Pat ever was! But granting it, having her transfer to UConn, and then having to play her this fall would be more than a little bit of a slap in the face, given how Westbrook's tenure at UT ended and the history between the two programs.
Evidently this is a moot discussion. See Jibariqua’s post above.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Evidently this is a moot discussion. See Jibariqua’s post above.
I don't think it is. See my post above. Which makes me think it will matter very much where she goes. It's one thing to waive for a school like Oregon State that's her home state and not scheduled to play UT next season. But to me, waiving for her to go play in Storrs is something altogether different.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The rule just changed.

View attachment 42455
The way I read the term "incoming college athletes" makes me think that only applies to freshmen and transfers, not to Westbrook, who would not be an incoming college athlete vis-a-vis Tennessee.

ETA: sure enough, Raoul's blog clarified that this does not apply to returning players.

Your right. I read on CBS this is only for incoming freshman who have started summer classes when the coach leaves.

Reaction Score
One additional question. Do we know if MS St actually requested a waiver? Taylor would have been a backup all season behind SEC POY Tiera McCowan. By sitting out a year, Vic potentially gets to have her as his starting center for 3 yrs.
Yes they requested one for both Espinoza-Hunter and Taylor at the same time. When AEH's was approved they said there was no update on Taylor's. I don't think it ever got approved.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

If TN does in fact retain the right to grant immediate eligibility to Westbrook, there are a couple of other factors. UConn can appeal directly to the NCAA. Considering the extremely difficult environment and criticism that Westbrook faced at TN, there’s a very good chance that the NCAA would grant the waiver.

The other issue is public relations. The hiring of KJH is supposed to signal a new era at TN. To then go after a young player who obviously struggled through a bad situation not of her own making is petty and vindictive.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
If TN does in fact retain the right to grant immediate eligibility to Westbrook, there are a couple of other factors. UConn can appeal directly to the NCAA. Considering the extremely difficult environment and criticism that Westbrook faced at TN, there’s a very good chance that the NCAA would grant the waiver.

The other issue is public relations. The hiring of KJH is supposed to signal a new era at TN. To then go after a young player who obviously struggled through a bad situation not of her own making is petty and vindictive.
I mean, I agree, but I don't think it'd be an easy call for UT either way. I agree that Westbrook faced criticism at TN that was sometimes unwarranted, but when she basically called for Holly's firing, got her wish, and then still transferred anyway, I think she lost some benefit of the doubt in terms of whether UT fans should be expected to look favorably on her, and whether the UT administration should do everything they can to ease her transfer. Think about it: if she seeks the waiver because of a coaching change she sought to help bring about, that would create some pretty bizarre perverse incentives. Get your coach fired so you can leave without having to sit out a year!

In light of this conversation, I wonder whether even this potential wrinkle might give Geno pause if he's seriously considering her, at least unless he can get a verbal assurance from UT that they'll waive her transfer prior to him formally accepting her. Otherwise, the potential drama of an NCAA appeal and back-and-forth with UT just as they're restarting the series after a very fraught prior decade just doesn't seem worth it to me. There are plenty of other good transfer spots for Westbrook, and she may not be worth the baggage for UConn - especially when what they really need is a post, not another guard.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Evina is not that good . Poor decision maker with a shaky handle. Doubt she has a big impact
She was the number 2 player in the class who has had 2 years of horrendous coaching. Let's see what Evina can do with good coaching and within a offense system that has actually been updated for this century and not to the last.

Reaction Score
We won't be the ones putting up with her baggage off the court and her helicopter mother, so if Geno wants to, what a darn good player we're getting. If it becomes detrimental to the team and ruins the tremendous chemistry UConn teams always have, that will be problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom