Transfers (merged threads) | Page 31 | The Boneyard

Transfers (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A few comments:

I agree that Evina's value is higher if she can play next year. We have stronger need next year. On the other hand, a year of watching might make her better in the 2 years that she plays.

I agree that it doesn't affect Makurat (correct spelling). Getting a player for 1-2 years impacts recruiting very little.

Before we talk about commitments, we need to talk about offers. I'm not sure Evina will be offered. It depends on what Geno et al. think.

On a different subject, I'm skeptical about all the kids who say they are still committed to Tennessee. I wouldn't be surprised by more defections before September.
If Rennia Davis decides to leave she would be a great addition

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I just do not see us entering the Transfer pool in any meaningful way. Perhaps some bench depth but no headliner. It just requires too much effort (and risk) to try to integrate a player used to another system and especially culture into ours. Geno has enough to do in trying to remove the bad habits and modifying the thought processes of HS recruits.

I also think the situation with Azure may have soured him on this route quite a bit. He clearly felt the job half done. (Please don't play that "if he left Azure in more for ND, she would be back" record). Having only 1 (or max 2) years is not enough to develop a player to Geno's satisfaction imho.

On the other hand, I think he would enjoy integrating international players into his system and he will be much more active in this area.

Maybe with Fernandez and Geno and some others, our conference can't be called the "American" anymore ? :oops::rolleyes:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
On the other hand, I think he would enjoy integrating international players into his system and he will be much more active in this area.
:oops::rolleyes:
I hate to say this as a proud American, but I think most top European players are hungrier and more willing to work hard to grow as players than most top American players. And way, way less entitled. It may be the case that Geno finds that players he recruits from abroad will more readily see eye to eye with him than players he could recruit from just down the turnpike.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I just do not see us entering the Transfer pool in any meaningful way. Perhaps some bench depth but no headliner. It just requires too much effort (and risk) to try to integrate a player used to another system and especially culture into ours. Geno has enough to do in trying to remove the bad habits and modifying the thought processes of HS recruits.

I also think the situation with Azure may have soured him on this route quite a bit. He clearly felt the job half done. (Please don't play that "if he left Azure in more for ND, she would be back" record). Having only 1 (or max 2) years is not enough to develop a player to Geno's satisfaction imho.

Maybe with Fernandez and Geno and some others, our conference can't be called the "American" anymore ? :oops::rolleyes:
The last 3 national championship teams had 1 or more transfers play a key role in their championship runs. To quote Kim Mulkey, “Unfortunately, we’re in the transfer business.” In this year’s FF, UConn was the only participant without a transfer in the starting lineup.

I think Geno is evolving on both transfers as well as international players. While I don’t think we’ll ever see Geno engage in wholesale transfers, taking 3 at a time like Walz, I do believe he will definitely pursue a key transfer or two to fill a clear need. To do otherwise is like fighting with one hand tied behind your back.

Reaction Score
I hate to say this as a proud American, but I think most top European players are hungrier and more willing to work hard to grow as players than most top American players. And way, way less entitled. It may be the case that Geno finds that players he recruits from abroad will more readily see eye to eye with him than players he could recruit from just down the turnpike.
I have to agree with you on this one.

Reaction Score
I would actually argue that Walker & Westbrook were #1 & #1A in their class, as I believe they both earned one or more NPOY awards. Beyond the terrible coaching, Westbrook was playing out of position in an offense that didn’t fully exploit her skills.

Put Westbrook in Geno’s 5-out, motion offense where everyone is expected to pass, cut and shoot, and give her the opportunity to develop under the best coaching staff in WBB and she will be outstanding.
Well p
I would actually argue that Walker & Westbrook were #1 & #1A in their class, as I believe they both earned one or more NPOY awards. Beyond the terrible coaching, Westbrook was playing out of position in an offense that didn’t fully exploit her skills.

Put Westbrook in Geno’s 5-out, motion offense where everyone is expected to pass, cut and shoot, and give her the opportunity to develop under the best coaching staff in WBB and she will be outstanding.

Well put Couldn’t agree more
Umm What’s a 5 -out motion offense??

Reaction Score

I agree with most --last para ???. Geno, like you I think him burned by transfers. Why take a 2 year transfer when you can get a 4 year recruit and both require nearly the same training for Uconn.
I don't understand the ND reference, care to explain it???

Reaction Score
It’s basically a positionless offense where 5 players spread the floor and read each other’s movements. Every player is required to cut, pass and shoot. If it’s run well, like UConn WBB at its best, it’s beautiful to watch and virtually impossible to defend.
UConn used it quite a bit at the beginning of last season until Geno became convinced that Megan was a good enough passer to handle the high-low. With her and ONO returning, I doubt we see much 5-out next season, though. In today’s game, all five need to be capable of hitting threes when open.

Reaction Score
The last 3 national championship teams had 1 or more transfers play a key role in their championship runs. To quote Kim Mulkey, “Unfortunately, we’re in the transfer business.” In this year’s FF, UConn was the only participant without a transfer in the starting lineup.

I think Geno is evolving on both transfers as well as international players. While I don’t think we’ll ever see Geno engage in wholesale transfers, taking 3 at a time like Walz, I do believe he will definitely pursue a key transfer or two to fill a clear need. To do otherwise is like fighting with one hand tied behind your back.
Geno's system is different from the 3 others in the FF. It takes time and effort to learn. Geno has had transfers for some years now the old: Geno WON"T no longer applies to nearly anything GENO.
My issues with Transfers is: We haven't seen a single one that walked on to the floor and played seamlessly, as most experience players should handle. WNBA, pros yea--they are just paid college players--go team to team and usually perform well.
I'd give anything if Geno could, would, recruit a tall Sveta for November or get a Shepherd (that can immediately and will perform well) in November.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I agree with most --last para ???. Geno, like you I think him burned by transfers. Why take a 2 year transfer when you can get a 4 year recruit and both require nearly the same training for Uconn.
I don't understand the ND reference, care to explain it???

There are some on the BY board who think that Azure would have stayed her final year if Geno played her more in the FF game against ND and because she may have felt slighted (or underappreciated), that may have tipped her decision to leave early. I do not subscribe to that interpretation. I think the WNBA opportunity was the deciding factor and she kept her decision process very close to the vest.
I am pretty sure Geno did not expect it and really wanted her back since he felt he left her development half finished (not to mention how valuable she would have been for the team). That whole experience must sting and may make him less eager to enter that water again.

Hope this makes my reference clear.

Reaction Score
It’s basically a positionless offense where 5 players spread the floor and read each other’s movements. Every player is required to cut, pass and shoot. If it’s run well, like UConn WBB at its best, it’s beautiful to watch and virtually impossible to defend.
Thanks
I love watching the UConn “ beautiful game “
Now I know why!

Reaction Score
There are some on the BY board who think that Azure would have stayed her final year if Geno played her more in the FF game against ND and because she may have felt slighted (or underappreciated), that may have tipped her decision to leave early. I do not subscribe to that interpretation. I think the WNBA opportunity was the deciding factor and she kept her decision process very close to the vest.
I am pretty sure Geno did not expect it and really wanted her back since he felt he left her development half finished (not to mention how valuable she would have been for the team).

Hope this makes my reference clear.
I agree. However I thought Azura was so far off position with the other personnel. Geno needed then as now a defensive center, the Z's scoring would have been icing. I think she made the right decision for herself, and maybe Uconn. She would not be a defensive threat as ONO is.

Reaction Score
UConn used it quite a bit at the beginning of last season until Geno became convinced that Megan was a good enough passer to handle the high-low. With her and ONO returning, I doubt we see much 5-out next season, though. In today’s game, all five need to be capable of hitting threes when open.
Don’t like a game where you live or die by the three
Understand why a weaker team needs to play that way and hope for the best but that’s not what drew us to UConn?

Reaction Score
I agree. However I thought Azura was so far off position with the other personnel. Geno needed then as now a defensive center, the Z's scoring would have been icing. I think she made the right decision for herself, and maybe Uconn. She would not be a defensive threat as ONO is.
From what I could see she wanted to develop her outside shot for the WNBA and that’s not what was needed by Gino for the team
I’m sure this was already beaten to death....

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Stevens was an enigma. Incredibly talented on the offensive end, especially inside when she reluctantly agreed to go there, and a great shot blocker, but seemingly unable or unwilling to comprehend team defensive concepts. And her three point shooting for us was miserable. Nevertheless, had she stayed we would have won it all although Napheesa`s game would have suffered. So, maybe the message is you take the good with the bad.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
From what I could see she wanted to develop her outside shot for the WNBA and that’s not what was needed by Gino for the team

I only brought this up in reference to how Geno may feel about pursuing future transfers

Reaction Score
"Gino"?!?!?!

I thought we weren't allowed to misspell coach's names?

Reaction Score
I only brought this up in reference to how Geno may feel about pursuing future transfers
No problem---threads get hijacked often--we BYer's are easily misled--or led to the slaughter--you choice.

Reaction Score
Understand why a weaker team needs to play that way and hope for the best but that’s not what drew us to UConn?
I haven't been here forever but, my experience is that Geno adapted the 3 as his own. He has stated, the numeric truth, that 3's are more efficient and change the score more rapidly than the 2's, or words of that kind.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I haven't been here forever but, my experience is that Geno adapted the 3 as his own. He has stated, the numeric truth, that 3's are more efficient and change the score more rapidly than the 2's, or words of that kind.
A side comment:

I have no doubt what you are saying about what Geno has said is true. On the obverse, as Rick Pitino once pointed out, a 2-point shot just inside the 3-pt line is the worst shot in basketball. I was struck this past season by how many times a UConn player took such a shot. Lou was perhaps the biggest culprit, but when she was on, a shot from the key area was pretty effective. And beautiful to see.

Reaction Score
You misunderstood. The 5-out is not a live and die by the three offense if run effectively. With all five starting on the perimeter, though, it wouldn’t work well if one of the five was not a deep threat.

Reaction Score
You misunderstood. The 5-out is not a live and die by the three offense if run effectively. With all five starting on the perimeter, though, it wouldn’t work well if one of the five was not a deep threat.
Gabby made one 3 and shot 6% in her career. It worked well when she was here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom