Transfers (merged threads) | Page 30 | The Boneyard

Transfers (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why would she go home if a highly-sought transfer was on campus for the weekend?
Think you are a little confused here as to how recruiting works. The UCONN staff is responsible for recruiting not the players. The players at UCONN and ND get input on how a recruit might fit on the team but don't confuse input with decision authority. Crystal probably had a prior commitment to be home for Easter. She'll reach out to her teammates I'm sure to get their input and express hers if necessary.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Didn’t Crystal and Evina play together on one of the U18 or U19 FIBA teams? I feel like I read that somewhere along the way.

If so, I’d imagine she already has a stance.

ETA: They were named to the same U18 National team to in 2016 to compete in Chile (along with Megan Walker), but Crystal had to withdraw from the competition because of injury. So Crystal, Megan, and Evina definitely would have played together during tryouts.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Didn’t Crystal and Evina play together on one of the U18 or U19 FIBA teams? I feel like I read that somewhere along the way.

ETA: They were named to the same U18 National team to in 2016 to compete in Chile (along with Megan Walker), but Crystal had to withdraw from the competition because of injury. So Crystal, Megan, and Evina definitely would have played together during tryouts.

All 3 participated in the trials for the 2017 U19 team but Westbrook did not make the team while Crystal and Megan did.

Reaction Score
Think you are a little confused here as to how recruiting works. The UCONN staff is responsible for recruiting not the players. The players at UCONN and ND get input on how a recruit might fit on the team but don't confuse input with decision authority. Crystal probably had a prior commitment to be home for Easter. She'll reach out to her teammates I'm sure to get their input and express hers if necessary.
But my first comment was in reference to the new transfer rule being discussed. I could go on a elaborate but that seems to be a moot point at this time

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Crystal was not on that 2016 U18 team. Megan Walker was though.
1555773053632.png

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'm reading (maybe hoping) it's a little different. That provision, freshmen to transfer and be immediately eligible, was already in place by the school simply releasing the Freshmen from the signed NLI. Kate Cain was released by Delaware and immediately eligible at Nebraska. A second consideration is that why should that privilege (benefit?) only apply to freshmen when ALL the players on the roster also made an agreement to play for that same coach?
One other thing that's key with this change ( at least the way In intrepreting it) is the NCAA is also saying don't even bother us with a waiver application for this: If you coach leaves "peace out"!

Coco:
Regarding the reading/hoping of that provision, I'm not so sure. I went to the NCAA's official press release, which I cut and pasted below. There's that word "freshman" plugged in right up front. I'm with you...why shouldn't that be extended to all players?

So, since we've been on the subject of Tennessee players, this new rule (which has largely been practiced by many universities, as you pointed out) would apply to Jordon Horston, but not directly to Evina Westbrook.

Cut and paste of NCAA press release

"Incoming freshman college athletes who have enrolled in summer school and received athletics financial aid can transfer and play immediately without a waiver if their head coach departs before the first day of classes for the fall term.

"Additionally, walk-on student-athletes on teams that provide athletics aid and nonrecruited walk-ons can transfer and play immediately without a waiver. Those rules are effective for students who transfer to new schools this fall.

"The changes were supported by the Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.

"The Council also defeated a proposal that would have required schools to count financial aid for some postgraduate transfers against team limits for two years, regardless of whether the student remained enrolled after exhausting athletics eligibility. The proposal would have applied only to student-athletes competing in football and basketball."

Here's the whole release:
DI Council adjusts transfer rules

Reaction Score
If Westbrook came to UConn and was granted immediate eligibility, what lineup would UConn play next season? Westbrook at the 3? It would be nice to have her two seasons from now to allow a transition between Paige and Dangerfield.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
That is your interpretation of her rather ambiguous words. You appear to assume that AD Fulmer fired Warlick—at least in part—due to the possible opinion of a single player. You may choose to believe this, but that is not grounds for presenting that interpretation as fact.

Westbrook: "...steps need to be taken with our staff..."

source:

I think it's far from my interpretation alone, and pretty much in line with how the vast majority of LV fans took it. Witness:

I think the majority of Tennessee fans believe Westbrook did the team a favor.....the sense I get based on their forum is that perhaps 80% of the fans wanted Holly out and it was Westbrook who had the nerve to say what so many were thinking and helped to bring about positive change...the 20% of Holly loyalists were vocal enough to make EW's continued stay uncomfortable so why not move on for a fresh start.....whether that fresh start will be in Storrs CT is another story.

Me personally, this whole conversation is making me thankful that Tara runs an extremely low-drama program. All this transfer grief seems like an awful lot of distracting churn in players', coaches', and teams' lives. It's one thing to discover freshman year that a school isn't a great fit for you. It's another to have roughly 2-3 players per team on average shopping for a coaching/team/position/minutes upgrade after every season.

Reaction Score
Coco:
Regarding the reading/hoping of that provision, I'm not so sure. I went to the NCAA's official press release, which I cut and pasted below. There's that word "freshman" plugged in right up front. I'm with you...why shouldn't that be extended to all players?

So, since we've been on the subject of Tennessee players, this new rule (which has largely been practiced by many universities, as you pointed out) would apply to Jordon Horston, but not directly to Evina Westbrook.

"Incoming freshman college athletes who have enrolled in summer school and received athletics financial aid can transfer and play immediately without a waiver if their head coach departs before the first day of classes for the fall term.

"Additionally, walk-on student-athletes on teams that provide athletics aid and nonrecruited walk-ons can transfer and play immediately without a waiver. Those rules are effective for students who transfer to new schools this fall.

"The changes were supported by the Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.

"The Council also defeated a proposal that would have required schools to count financial aid for some postgraduate transfers against team limits for two years, regardless of whether the student remained enrolled after exhausting athletics eligibility. The proposal would have applied only to student-athletes competing in football and basketball."

It would not apply to Horston. TN has a head coach in place; it would apply only if she decided not to take the job and resigned before the fall semester.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco:

Thanks. I just behind in my information.
The original change was reported this way by multiple news outlets:

"Student-athletes in some specific situations can now transfer and compete immediately without a waiver. College athletes who have enrolled in summer school and received athletics financial aid can transfer and play immediately without a waiver if their head coach departs before the first day of classes for the fall term."

When those outlets requested clarification was when the NCAA clarified the language and intent.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It would not apply to Horston. TN has a head coach in place; it would apply only if she decided not to take the job and resigned before the fall semester.

Thanks...upon further review, you're right. Boy, off the top of my head, this applies to a small cross-section of athletes. (the University of Mississippi football players a few years back?).

Reaction Score
I think it's far from my interpretation alone, and pretty much in line with how the vast majority of LV fans took it. Witness:

Me personally, this whole conversation is making me thankful that Tara runs an extremely low-drama program. All this transfer grief seems like an awful lot of distracting churn in players', coaches', and teams' lives. It's one thing to discover freshman year that a school isn't a great fit for you. It's another to have roughly 2-3 players per team on average shopping for a coaching/team/position/minutes upgrade after every season.

it seems that some coaches fall in love with a recruit's physical skills without fully considering the complete person.............that said, in today's world no team is immune from the transfer bug no matter how well they think they know a recruit..........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While UConn’s evaluation of Westbrook will be compressed in a transfer cycle, Geno and his staff will no doubt be thorough. The easiest part will be a straightforward evaluation of Westbrook’s basketball ability. Clearly, she has the talent to play at UConn. The more challenging evaluation will be of Westbrook’s attitude, work ethic and ability to fit with her team.

As some BY’ers have suggested, Geno will rely to some degree on the input of his current players on whether or not Westbrook would fit with the Huskies. Since it appears that Geno did not actively pursue Westbrook in HS, I would expect Geno to rely heavily on Megan’s input, as the player who knows Westbrook the best.

Beyond player input, Geno would likely tap into other sources for feedback on Westbrook attitude, work habits, etc. That would include HS, AAU and particularly USA basketball coaches that have coached her. Geno might also tap into college coaches who have coached against her. Dawn & Vic both come to mind.

The final piece of the evaluation will be Geno’s one on one interaction with Westbrook. By reaching out to UConn, Westbrook has made a pretty strong statement that she wants to be coached hard to develop her considerable potential, and that she wants to be a part of a championship program, and that she is willing to consider traveling completely across the country to achieve those goals. That’s a great place to start.

Of course, while Westbrook needs to convince Geno that she is right for UConn, Geno also needs to convince Westbrook that UConn is the right place for her. I do believe Geno can handle that task.

Reaction Score
Why would she go home if a highly-sought transfer was on campus for the weekend?
Because she has no say in the matter, I seriously doubt any coach would allow any existing player to decide on transferring player suitably, that is the job of the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
I think it does apply to Horston, she was recruited by Holly, Holly was fired, if Horston were to attend summer school at her new school she would be allowed to transfer to that school without any penalty and would be immediately eligible, however I understand she is solid with UT.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Let's assume that Evina didn't travel all the way to UCONN just to roller skate with Megan and her teammates. Let's also assume, prior to the visit that Geno did his homework (no inside info but this is as safe a bet as there is).

Given that, the following conclusions can be jumped too.

1. Geno is fairly certain that she will be granted a waiver. Evina's value is not as great if they have to wait a season like they did with Azura.

2. Geno has thoroughly investigated what issues (real or imagined) exist with Evina's mother.

3. Evina understands that she won't play point at UCONN.

4. Pursing Evina doesn't impact the recruitment of Anna Mazurat.

5. Determining whether Evina blends with her potential teammates is being established this weekend.

6. Just because she is visiting does not mean a commitment is forthcoming. I am sure the Oregon schools will get an extensive look.
A few comments:

I agree that Evina's value is higher if she can play next year. We have stronger need next year. On the other hand, a year of watching might make her better in the 2 years that she plays.

I agree that it doesn't affect Makurat (correct spelling). Getting a player for 1-2 years impacts recruiting very little.

Before we talk about commitments, we need to talk about offers. I'm not sure Evina will be offered. It depends on what Geno et al. think.

On a different subject, I'm skeptical about all the kids who say they are still committed to Tennessee. I wouldn't be surprised by more defections before September.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Because she has no say in the matter, I seriously doubt any coach would allow any existing player to decide on transferring player suitably, that is the job of the coaching staff.
Geno has always relied heavily on input from his current team whether or not a particular transfer or HS recruit is a good fit. So for instance, if a recruit showed up on campus an acted like a jerk outside of her interaction with the coaches, Geno would receive that input from his players, and the recruit would be toast as far as UConn was concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom