Transfers (merged threads) | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Transfers (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After playing for an underachieving Tennessee team for 2 years, I would think she's looking for a Championship contender, not just any team where she can put up big scoring numbers.

I agree Cal is going to struggle. Either due to graduation or transfer they are losing most of their guards from this season as well as Anigwe. Just looked it up, losing top 4 scorers. Jaelyn Brown at 7.9 ppg will be their leading returning scorer.

Problem is, I'm not sure any of those potential championship teams are interested due to the issues with her helicopter mom. And most of the good schools have already narrowed down who they want as a transfer, it doesn't look like Evina has made any visits.

CAL is definitely in for it, Gottleib just doesn't have it. She's in the same league as Karen Aston and Holly Warlick for me. Gets great players, but can't do anything with them.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She's in the same league as Karen Aston and Holly Warlick for me. Gets great players, but can't do anything with them.

While I agree she's not a great coach, she hasn't had anywhere near the same amount of talent as Aston and Warlick. Anigwe was fairly singular for Cal, it's not like they've routinely had 5 or 6 McDonald's All Americans on their team.

Reaction Score
While I agree she's not a great coach, she hasn't had anywhere near the same amount of talent as Aston and Warlick. Anigwe was fairly singular for Cal, it's not like they've routinely had 5 or 6 McDonald's All Americans on their team.

I'll give you that. She has had some talented players though and just not done much with them.

Aston and Warlick are/were the worst offenders at picking up big talent and doing nothing with them. Makes me sick to watch Joyner Holmes play, with the right coach she could have been unstoppable.

Reaction Score
I'll give you that. She has had some talented players though and just not done much with them.

Aston and Warlick are/were the worst offenders at picking up big talent and doing nothing with them. Makes me sick to Watch Joyner Holmes play, with the right coach she could have been unstoppable.

I think Holmes has to take some of the blame for her spotty play to date...............

Reaction Score
Oh definitely, but it's obvious there was potential there that didn't receive the right guidance. Afraid it's too late for her now.

for me it's really hard to say what the problem is..................whether it's a lack of coaching, a lack of discipline or lack of motivation...........that said Aston consistently gets great talent but seems satisfied with getting into the tournament but not winning it................I was a bit heartbroken when Charli Collier gave up on UConn for Texas because you knew she wasn't going to get the very best coaching there.................

Reaction Score
for me it's really hard to say what the problem is...whether it's a lack of coaching, a lack of discipline or lack of motivation......that said Aston consistently gets great talent but seems satisfied with getting into the tournament but not winning it......I was a bit heartbroken when Charli Collier gave up on UConn for Texas because you knew she wasn't going to get the very best coaching there.......

Biggest issue appears to be discipline from the outside looking in. They are constantly having disciplinary issues players being suspended, like Holmes, or leaving the program like Boothe. I agree about Collier, I was disappointed to see her choose Texas. Drove me mad watching her come in the game and pick-up two nonsensical fouls in under 2 minutes every time she entered a game this season.

Danni Williams was also a sad case this season, she looked excellent at Texas A&M and was a great player in Gary Blair's system. She didn't look good at all at Texas this season though, seemed really odd to me that a player would go backwards so quickly. She didn't look like she was having one iota of fun either.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

I'm a little skeptical of this assessment and would like some evidence cited to substantiate it. Especially because I could cite evidence to the contrary. For instance, in terms of player development:

Layshia Clarendon was a first-round draft pick in the WNBA (9th in 2013), is a starting PG in the WNBA, has made the WNBA all-star team at least once, and is regularly in the mix for Team USA. Yet she was the no. 67th ranked recruit coming out of high school per ESPN/Olson. So either Gottlieb helped her develop well beyond her seeming high school potential, or else she spotted something no one else saw.

Brittany Boyd was a first round draft pick in the WNBA (9th in 2015), has been in and out of starting lineups for the Liberty, was named to the WNBA all-rookie team, and continues to get considerable playing time in her 4th year in the WNBA. Yet she was no. 38th ranked recruit coming out of high school per ESPN/Olson. So either Gottlieb helped her develop well beyond her seeming high school potential, or else she spotted something no one else saw.

Rashanda Gray was a second round draft pick in the WNBA (16th in 2015), and although she didn't end up playing for too long in the WNBA, she was the no. 22 ranked recruit coming out of high school per ESPN/Olson. Objective metrics would seem to suggest that Gray developed at least as much as her peers in her year, given that she improved her draft position from her recruiting rank.

And I'd say Kristine Anigwe shows a similar trajectory: no. 8 recruit per ESPN/Olson, no. 9 WNBA pick.

Sure, that's just one metric. But I feel like there seems to be this view that Gottlieb is a poor coach and yet I'm not really sure what the objective metrics basis for this is. In terms of player development, she seems, on an objective basis, to develop players to meet or exceed their high school recruiting prospects.

In terms of in game coaching, I've seen her teams play Stanford for years, and I've been above average impressed with her scouting defenses and ability to surprise Tara with plan B's vis-a-vis the dozens of other teams I've watched Stanford face off against. This season, in particular, Anigwe was one of the few players Tara was unable to shut down in any of the three games Stanford played against Cal - by comparison, Stanford obliterated Baylor's double-trouble bigs of Cox and Brown. And when Cal upset Stanford, they did so through a lot of outside shooting they weren't normally known for, as well as some cuts to the basket by their shorter guards that were not regularly part of Cal's playbook this season.

So I'm open to the argument, but I'd like to know what the evidence is. From what I've seen, Gottlieb is an above-average-replacement coach, and I'd be very surprised if Cal could find someone better given their combination of funding hurdles/admissions issues/and ongoing AD problems.

Reaction Score
I'm a little skeptical of this assessment and would like some evidence cited to substantiate it. Especially because I could cite evidence to the contrary. For instance:

Layshia Clarendon was a first-round draft pick in the WNBA (9th in 2013), is a starting PG in the WNBA, has made the WNBA all-star team at least once, and is regularly in the mix for Team USA. Yet she was the no. 67th ranked recruit coming out of high school per ESPN/Olson. So either Gottlieb helped her develop well beyond her seeming high school potential, or else she spotted something no one else saw.

Brittany Boyd was a first round draft pick in the WNBA (9th in 2015), has been in and out of starting lineups for the Liberty, was named to the WNBA all-rookie team, and continues to get considerable playing time in her 4th year in the WNBA. Yet she was no. 38th ranked recruit coming out of high school per ESPN/Olson. So either Gottlieb helped her develop well beyond her seeming high school potential, or else she spotted something no one else saw.

Rashanda Gray was a second round draft pick in the WNBA (16th in 2015), and although she didn't end up playing for too long in the WNBA, she was the no. 22 ranked recruit coming out of high school per ESPN/Olson. Objective metrics would seem to suggest that Gray developed at least as much as her peers in her year, given that she improved her draft position from her recruiting rank.

And I'd say Kristine Anigwe shows a similar trajectory: no. 8 recruit per ESPN/Olson, no. 9 WNBA pick.

Sure, that's just one metric. But I feel like there seems to be this view that Gottlieb is a poor coach and yet I'm not really sure what the objective metrics basis for this is. I'm open to the argument, but I'd like to know what the evidence is. I've seen her teams play Stanford for years, and I've been above average impressed with her scouting defenses and ability to surprise Tara with plan B's. This season, in particular, Anigwe was one of the few players Tara was unable to shut down in any of the three games Stanford played against Cal - by comparison, Stanford obliterated Baylor's double-trouble bigs of Cox and Brown.

I never said she didn't have talented players, I said she didn't do anything with them, which is a fact. Her two best seasons were with players inherited from Joanne Boyle.

In the 14-15 season with both Boyd and Gray on her roster they were still only 24-10 and 13-5 in PAC-12 play losing in the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament. Anigwe was the most dominant inside player in the PAC-12 this year and carried them on her back and they went 20-13 and 9-9 in PAC-12 play exiting in the second round of the tournament again. The players aren't the problem there, it's the coaching.

The one final four they went to, in her second season, with inherited players they had by far the easiest route to the final four. They were a 2 seed and ended up having to beat a 15 seed, a 10 seed, a 6 seed and a 4 seed en route to the FF thanks to upsets by South Florida, LSU and Georgia. Since then she has never made it beyond the second round and year after year they start hot and then fall apart in PAC-12 play.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Some good points by both @TheFarmFan and @CUBUFFS18 . It's been my impression that Cal routinely finishes a bit below predictions in conference play. Granted the Pac 12 has been brutal in recent years, but they certainly haven't been overachieving. I had to look up Coach Gottlieb's coaching record to double check. There is a STARK contrast between year 1-4 and 5-8 in her Cal tenure. Definitely trending the wrong direction. Finished 2nd, tied 1st, tied 2nd and tied 3rd during the good stretch. Since then 10th, tied 7th, 5th and tied 6th. Or just look at overall conference record during those 2 different 4 year periods: started 56-16, 30-42 since then.

Reaction Score
I really thought the 2014 class with Mikayla Cowling and Gabby Green would have revived the program, especially with Anigwe in 2015, but Green left and Cowling never really looked like a top-10 recruit. The 6’7” Chinese player was also a big bust.

Reaction Score
Could you post a picture of it if possible? Not because I don't believe you, just wanted to see it.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think Westbrook is on a visit to UConn

nooooooooooo.gif

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Megan spent considerable time with Westbrook at various USA basketball competitions as well as the McD AA game. I believe there is a video somewhere taken by Westbrook at the McD game hanging out together with Megan and some of the other AA’s.

For that reason, I would expect Westbrook to be hosted by Megan if she were visiting UConn.

Reaction Score
I guess there is also the possibility she is just visiting Megan on a personal visit? I know everyone from Mississippi State thought Taja Cole was visiting officially but she was just visiting AEH. Just some optimism for the anti-Evina crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom