Transfers (merged threads) | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Transfers (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Promise Taylor did not get immediate eligibility to Mississippi State. Not sure why one would and not the other.

Because ...... it’s....... the NCAA ........ making the decision. And not to make too much of an obvious point but the “C” in their name does not stand for consistency.

Reaction Score
After losing their leading returning scorer Kianna Smith who just announced she will be transferring to Louisville, Cal picks up a solid mid-major transfer in guard Naje Murray who averaged 13.7 ppg including 81 3-pointers and a couple steals per game this past season for San Diego State University.

Najé Murray says farewell to SDSU, transfers to Cal

Oregon is one starting guard short of being a heavy favorite to win next year's national champion, but is Minyon Moore the ideal fit? I see Oregon needing more of a combo guard, and Minyon is not much of a three point shooter which has been instrumental to Oregon's success. Nevertheless, she has proven to be a stat stuffer. She's feisty and quick and hustles on defense, so perhaps she would give them another dimension. Also, I believe she won an AAU national title with Sabrina Ionescu, which doesn't hurt.

Be it Minyon or someone else, I expect Oregon to add someone for that backcourt opening (with Cazorla having graduated). Another possibility could be Oregon native Cierra Walker who is grad-transferring from Vanderbilt, where she averaged 10.8 ppg last season including 69 three-points (40%).

Reaction Score
My impression was always that Evina Westbrook wanted to leave Oregon for college. So I don't think Oregon and Oregon State necessarily have an advantage because they are closer to home. I think they're in the mix simply because they are good programs.

Of the two, I recall Evina much more heavily considered Oregon State (where her dad played, and where I believe a brother might have been attending at the time). Oregon was eliminated from her list relatively early, but fresh off a Final Four, I imagine she'll at least give them a closer look this time.

Wherever she ends up, I do think she would benefit from playing alongside a true point guard.

I recall that UConn was conspicuously never among Evina's list of schools the first time around. I figured UConn decided not to recruit her in order to focus exclusively on #1 Megan Walker.

Reaction Score
We'd love to have her at Baylor. We really need a PG and Kim showed that she can help someone become a good one. If we can land another good option at PG it will help us immensely.

I know everyone is saying Baylor needs a point guard, but what about Moon, and HSG? If Baylor adds another guard for this coming season, and then Andrews for the 2020 class, I think HSG might look to take her game somewhere she can get off the bench.

Reaction Score
I know everyone is saying Baylor needs a point guard, but what about Moon, and HSG? If Baylor adds another guard for this coming season, and then Andrews for the 2020 class, I think HSG might look to take her game somewhere she can get off the bench.

They are considering both more Shooting guards. HSG will get her time once Juicy is gone.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oregon is one starting guard short of being a heavy favorite to win next year's national champion, but is Minyon Moore the ideal fit? I see Oregon needing more of a combo guard, and Minyon is not much of a three point shooter which has been instrumental to Oregon's success. Nevertheless, she has proven to be a stat stuffer. She's feisty and quick and hustles on defense, so perhaps she would give them another dimension. Also, I believe she won an AAU national title with Sabrina Ionescu, which doesn't hurt.

Cazorla hit some daggers but she wasn't a high volume 3 point shooter. Between Ionescu, Boley and the elder Sabally they have plenty of 3 point shooting. Chavez would probably launch more with increased playing time as well. I think Moore would give them a quicker, better driver than what they've had, could be an interesting new wrinkle for them. Graves repeatedly praised Cazorla for being their best perimeter defender, I think Moore would immediately step into that role for them. I think it's a pretty good fit actually.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
My impression was always that Evina Westbrook wanted to leave Oregon for college. So I don't think Oregon and Oregon State necessarily have an advantage because they are closer to home.

I think you are correct, but maybe after 2 years being closer to home is more appealing to her now. I don't know that, just putting forward the possibility.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Huge return for Dawn. Puts SC in the mix for a SEC championship IMO.
You bring up an interesting prospect-Texas A&M, Miss St, Tenn and SC are the top 4 based on returning players talent and coaching. Not sure of the other schools. Do any of our Bulldog or resident anti-Nikki fan have insight on the other schools?

Reaction Score
From what I am reading looks like Cooper is pretty much a lock to be at Baylor next year. Not confirmed, but it's what I am hearing.

Reaction Score
From what I am reading looks like Cooper is pretty much a lock to be at Baylor next year. Not confirmed, but it's what I am hearing.
So I'm guessing that may take Baylor out of the picture for Moore?

Reaction Score
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Jackson, MS is 80% black while Portland, Maine is 1/3 the size and almost 90% white. I bet you'd find grits as readily in Portland as you'd find lobster rolls in Jackson. Summer daytime high in Portland is about 15 degrees cooler on average than Jackson; in the winter, it's more like 25 degrees. Portland averages 60 inches of snow per year; Jackson almost never experiences snowfall at all. If there's anything I've learned traveling both around the US and abroad, it's thst the variation within the US is almost as extreme as between the US and abroad, in terms of climate, topography, people, and urban design. Sure, some suburbs in Illinois look a lot like suburbs in California. But Stanford's campus is drastically different than Cal's, just as Notre Dame's is from Miami's.

Admittedly, I was only in Portland for a few days. The part I went to did look very similar to Jackson. Bangor did too actually. Coastal Maine- no, that's a completely different thing. A lot of cities look similar to me. Not all, but a lot. But there are many cities in the US, and, while many of them look similar, many look different.

Southern Carolina is completely different. NYC too obviously. I drove from Jackson to Boston years ago, and most of the cities we stopped at looked the same. Those were just run of the mill cities though. Bigger cities have more character.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I think Moore ends up at Oregon. And i would take moore all day long over Cooper. Moore doesn’t have the shot but she is electric. She would bring something different to the Ducks if she ends up in Eugene

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Cooper has proven to be somewhat toxic. I am not sure I would want her to mesh with my players if I was a coach with enough talent to make a run at a national championship. This could be the missing piece...or the piece that makes you miss. I would pass unless I was maybe projected a Sweet 16 team coming out of the gate. Just my opinion on risk vs reward !

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Cooper has proven to be somewhat toxic. I am not sure I would want her to mesh with my players if I was a coach with enough talent to make a run at a national championship. This could be the missing piece...or the piece that makes you miss. I would pass unless I was maybe projected a Sweet 16 team coming out of the gate. Just my opinion on risk vs reward !
Considering that Kim dismissed talented guard Alexis Morris within the last year, and ultimately found her pg in Chloe Jackson, you have to wonder why she would even consider a player with a proven history of sowing discord wherever she’s been.

Reaction Score
Kim will not take cooper!! Three programs in 3 years tells me something isn’t right. Kim is all about team chemistry a lot like Geno. I think Kim does a better job recruiting due to a bigger pond in the Texas area which helps her out more. But no way she signs cooper I would be shocked if she ends up there. Louisville will .. waltz will find a way to get another player he always does

Reaction Score
Kim will not take cooper!! Three programs in 3 years tells me something isn’t right. Kim is all about team chemistry a lot like Geno. I think Kim does a better job recruiting due to a bigger pond in the Texas area which helps her out more. But no way she signs cooper I would be shocked if she ends up there. Louisville will .. waltz will find a way to get another player he always does
I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up at Ohio State. They don't mind stirring the pot up at times with their players.

Reaction Score
Anyone hear if Sidney Cooks is interested in UConn at all? Or has UConn shown any interest in her?

Reaction Score
You bring up an interesting prospect-Texas A&M, Miss St, Tenn and SC are the top 4 based on returning players talent and coaching. Not sure of the other schools. Do any of our Bulldog or resident anti-Nikki fan have insight on the other schools?

I believe A&M will be the top team in the league next season.

I think Arkansas has real potential to be the dark horse in the SEC next season. Dungee is returning and is very talented. They really put some of the puzzle pieces together at the end of the season, especially in the SEC tournament. Neighbor's can coach. He has a pretty good class coming in and there is a true center at 6'3" in Oberg. Their "center" last season was 6'1" They got killed on the boards. A quality big as a grad transfer could propel them to the top third of the league. Neighbors shares a quality with Geno, he can extend his own confidence to his players, and that can't be underestimated.

Kentucky could also be a contender, Rhyne Howard is the kind of player built to carry a team, if they stay committed to defense like they were this season and Mitchell puts the right pieces around her they could be tough. I don't know that they will be a top four team in the SEC, but they'll be able to beat anyone on any given night.

Georgia would have been one of the better teams, Q. Morrison is great, but they don't have any experienced size and lost Taja Cole to transfer and another freshman guard is leaving.

The rest of the teams don't have much coming back or are still rebuilding. Florida and Ole Miss have relatively new coaches and will likely struggle, LSU is lacking talent and size.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I agree, I don't think Kim would touch Cooper with a 10' pole. Jackson was a 2 time transfer as well though, her transfers were very different though. She never played at NC State due to a foot injury, was LSU's best player during her time there, then went to Baylor.

Cooper was dismissed by the university at UT for the fight in the dorms, not by the basketball team. She apparently had interpersonal issues with teammates/coaches at South Carolina as well. I wouldn't be keen on adding her to my roster.

I could see a team like Miami taking a chance on her. That's out of left field, but she would kind of fit in their style of play and they have a hard time attracting top recruits. She would be one of the more talented players Katie Meier has had. Wherever she ends up, Cooper needs to adjust her attitude and do what her coach asks, which may be difficult for her.

Reaction Score

I think Arkansas has real potential to be the dark horse in the SEC next season. Dungee is returning and is very talented. They really put some of the puzzle pieces together at the end of the season, especially in the SEC tournament. Neighbor's can coach. He has a pretty good class coming in and there is a true center at 6'3" in Oberg. Their "center" last season was 6'1" They got killed on the boards. A quality big as a grad transfer could propel them to the top third of the league. Neighbors shares a quality with Geno, he can extend his own confidence to his players, and that can't be underestimated.

Kentucky could also be a contender, Rhyne Howard is the kind of player built to carry a team, if they stay committed to defense like they were this season and Mitchell puts the right pieces around her they could be tough. I don't know that they will be a top for team in the SEC, but they'll be able to beat anyone on any given night.

Georgia would have been one of the better teams, Q. Morrison is great, but they don't have any experienced size and lost Taja Cole to transfer and another freshman guard is leaving.

The rest of the teams don't have much coming back or are still rebuilding. Florida and Ole Miss have relatively new coaches and will likely struggle, LSU is lacking talent and size.
LSU doesn’t exactly lack size with 6’5” and 6’2” in the starting lineup.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Anyone hear if Sidney Cooks is interested in UConn at all? Or has UConn shown any interest in her?
Not a peep. There's always hope though.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Staley announced she would look for a guard in the transfer portal....

“Obviously we want healthy bodies, we want bodies that help us check off some of the goals that we’ll have as a team, so we’re not really looking for a transfer that has to sit out,” Staley said.
Specifically, Staley said the Gamecocks might be most interested in acquiring a guard to help replace the transferring Te’a Cooper, while also balancing the growth and depth of the highly-rated incoming freshman class.
“We’re selective in who we’re going after because we have a pretty good group coming in and people have to understand that. I don’t lay it out, I don’t lay out our depth chart, I don’t lay out how we see our players in the future, and I do that periodically throughout their careers. Some may like it, some may not like it, but I try to paint a picture that’s realistic in how individually things play out and how I think overall it shapes our team,” Staley said. “Obviously guard play is something that we lost and we got to somehow fill a void, fill a void that we need, so we’ll see how that plays out in the next few weeks.”

Reaction Score

Kentucky could also be a contender, Rhyne Howard is the kind of player built to carry a team, if they stay committed to defense like they were this season and Mitchell puts the right pieces around her they could be tough. I don't know that they will be a top for team in the SEC, but they'll be able to beat anyone on any given night.

Don’t underrate Tennessee!! Davis is staying they just do

tennessee will be a contender. They just signed a 4th member of next years class a sharpshooter from Australia .. Davis is staying and they got a ncaa waiver for 6th year Lou brown and they will have 6 players 6’3 and over .. and maybe the best freshmen in the country in hortson. They could easily end up winning the sec tourney. A lot of talent and depth in rocky top. I wouldn’t be shocked at all if they beat us next season in gampel. I think USC and Tennessee will be the 2 teams to beat. Carter is Texas A&M period!!! Mississippi State will challenge to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom