Transfers (merged threads) | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Transfers (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LSU doesn’t exactly lack size with 6’5” and 6’2” in the starting lineup.

Yes, they have two players over 6' in their starting line-up but the other 3 are 5'8", 5"7" and 5'4"

Almost every other team in the SEC, aside from Arkansas has more size at every position. That's what I mean by lacks size, across the board, not just interior. Richard-Harris is a talented player, but at 5'4" she has a hard time getting her shot off over the bigger defenders she faces.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My impression was always that Evina Westbrook wanted to leave Oregon for college. So I don't think Oregon and Oregon State necessarily have an advantage because they are closer to home. I think they're in the mix simply because they are good programs.

Of the two, I recall Evina much more heavily considered Oregon State (where her dad played, and where I believe a brother might have been attending at the time). Oregon was eliminated from her list relatively early, but fresh off a Final Four, I imagine she'll at least give them a closer look this time.

Wherever she ends up, I do think she would benefit from playing alongside a true point guard.

I recall that UConn was conspicuously never among Evina's list of schools the first time around. I figured UConn decided not to recruit her in order to focus exclusively on #1 Megan Walker.

It's also possible that Westbrook has scratched that itch, and is ready (prefers) to come back home now.
As adults, we know the grass is not always green on the next block. We can tell our children that, but sometimes they don't believe us, and just have to find out for themselves. Sometimes the advantages (comforts) of being at or close to home (of which there are many) out weigh those of being out of state.

This year., I had the opportunity to speak to a player on the UNLV women's BB team. She's from Las Vegas. She was recruited by Seton Hall Univ (2521 miles away) in Orange New Jersey out of high school, and excepted.

She transfered out after her freshman year. She said it was not what she expected, that and she missed home BIG time. UNLV gladly picked her up as they knew who she was, because they had been recruiting her in high school. She said she was so glad to be back home she didn't know what to do, and that she was very happy to be playing for her hometown university where her parents family and friends could come see her play. She matured a little that first year. She scratched that itch, now it's all good. ;)

Don't forget what Dorothy told Auntie Em......................................and the conviction with which she said it! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Don’t underrate Tennessee!! Davis is staying they just do

tennessee will be a contender. They just signed a 4th member of next years class a sharpshooter from Australia .. Davis is staying and they got a ncaa waiver for 6th year Lou brown and they will have 6 players 6’3 and over .. and maybe the best freshmen in the country in hortson. They could easily end up winning the sec tourney. A lot of talent and depth in rocky top. I wouldn’t be shocked at all if they beat us next season in gampel. I think USC and Tennessee will be the 2 teams to beat. Carter is Texas A&M period!!! Mississippi State will challenge to.

I wouldn't say that about A&M. Wells showed she can be a scorer as well this season, Carter is learning to play with others and Aaliyah Wilson will be back. Shambria Washington got surprise heavy minutes due to all their injuries and she proved to be a good point guard and she hit a couple of clutch shots in the NCAA tourney. Wilson though, is incredibly talented but suffered an injury early in the season, expect her to be back and to be a major factor for A&M. Both Jones and Johnson can hold down in the paint and play their rolls well for Gary Blair. I truly believe they will be the team to beat next season in the SEC.

I know exactly what Tennessee has coming back, the talent is there. I didn't mention them because I still think they are a big ????? until we find out how they respond to the coaching change. If they decide to play some defense and run an actual offense they are very possibly the best team in the SEC. If they continue to play only 10 minutes of great defense per game they're in the bottom half of the SEC again, regardless of talent. Have to wait and see how that shakes out. So far it appears Harper is running a much tighter ship that Warlick already.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up at Ohio State. They don't mind stirring the pot up at times with their players.

They used transfers last year, in part, to survive and then a funny thing happened: they discovered the four freshman that were there could play pretty darn well. And did once they hit the B1G schedule.
And McGuff has a strong recruiting class coming in this summer and already has a 2020 commit, as well.

On top of that, he does have a transfer: Braxton Miller, an Ohio native who is coming back after two years at Oklahoma State.
Oklahoma State Point Guard Braxtin Miller to Transfer to the Ohio State Women's Basketball Team

Think the pot is pretty well filled....;)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It's also possible that Westbrook has scratched that itch, and is ready (prefers) to come back home now. ;)

With apologies to Mac Davis:

"I guess happiness was Lubbock, Texas Salem, Oregon in my rear view mirror. But now happiness is Lubbock, Texas Salem, Oregon growing nearer and dearer. And the vision is getting clear in my dreams"

916kV-cnQ-L._SY355_.jpg

Reaction Score
It's also possible that Westbrook has scratched that itch, and is ready (prefers) to come back home now.
As adults, we know the grass is not always green on the other side of the fence. We can tell our children that, but sometimes they don't believe us, and just have to find out for themselves. Sometimes the advantages (comforts) of being at or close to home (of which there are many) out weigh those of being out of state.

Yeah, I think she heads back west. My money is on CAL or Gonzaga as her destination. I just don't see her fitting into a roster at a lot of the other schools. Many people think Oregon, but I don't see Graves taking her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kentucky could also be a contender, Rhyne Howard is the kind of player built to carry a team, if they stay committed to defense like they were this season and Mitchell puts the right pieces around her they could be tough. I don't know that they will be a top for team in the SEC, but they'll be able to beat anyone on any given night.
Rhyne is a beast but for Kentucky to contend they are going to have to get her some help. The recruiting class before & after her has not and is not expected to yield much.

Reaction Score
Rhyne is a beast but for Kentucky to contend they are going to have to get her some help. The recruiting class before & after her has not and is not expected to yield much.

Agreed, Blair Green will fill the 2 guard roll left open by Morris well, but there are some holes in their line-up. Howard can flat play though. I'm not certain if Dori Harrison will be back as well, from what I can tell nobody knows what is/was wrong with her still. They just said it was a "personal medical issue." She is very talented and was good as a freshman. If she is back, healthy and in shape they'll have a good team if they figure out their PG play.

Will Chasity Patterson, the Texas transfer be eligible? She was a mid-year transfer.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
The SEC next year...1A South Carolina 1B....Tennessee....1C Texas A&M.....These are the top 3 and I give the edge to South Carolina now that Kiki is back and the other returners seem good enough to compliment the historic No.1 class coming in. Harris, Kiki, Henderson and Saxon are 4 solid players on their own.

Reaction Score
Don’t underrate Tennessee!! Davis is staying they just do

tennessee will be a contender. They just signed a 4th member of next years class a sharpshooter from Australia .. Davis is staying and they got a ncaa waiver for 6th year Lou brown and they will have 6 players 6’3 and over .. and maybe the best freshmen in the country in hortson. They could easily end up winning the sec tourney. A lot of talent and depth in rocky top. I wouldn’t be shocked at all if they beat us next season in gampel. I think USC and Tennessee will be the 2 teams to beat. Carter is Texas A&M period!!! Mississippi State will challenge to.
Texas A&M is a lot more than Carter but if that were all the Aggies were they would still be a threat to any team they played. I hate to say it but I believe those guys are going to be a real beast.

Reaction Score
As adults, we know the grass is not always green on the other side of the fence. We can tell our children that, but sometimes they don't believe us, and just have to find out for themselves. Sometimes the advantages (comforts) of being at or close to home (of which there are many) out weigh those of being out of state.

This year., I had the opportunity to speak to a player on the UNLV women's BB team. She's from Las Vegas. She was recruited by Seton Hall Univ (2521 miles away) in Orange New Jersey out of high school, and excepted.

She transfered out after her freshman year. She said it was not what she was told or expected, that and she missed home BIG time. UNLV gladly picked her up as they knew who she was, because they had been recruiting her in high school. She said she was so glad to be back home she didn't know what to do, and that she was very happy to be playing for her hometown university where her parents family and friends could come see her play. She matured a little that first year. She scratched that itch, now it's all good. ;)

Don't forget what Dorothy told Auntie Em........and the conviction with which she said it! :D

I found that out at an early age, could not wait to leave home and when I left could not wait to get back. Good memories never die!

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think she heads back west. My money is on CAL or Gonzaga as her destination. I just don't see her fitting into a roster at a lot of the other schools. Many people think Oregon, but I don't see Graves taking her.

If she was complaining about the coaching at Tennessee, she will really be a handful with Gottlieb.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

But sometimes they don’t. I was born and raised in Ohio, did my undergrad in Montana, my first master’s at UConn, and have been living in North Carolina for almost eight years.

I like going home to visit, but not every kid is itching to go back home.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I found that out at an early age, could not wait to leave home and when I left could not wait to get back. Good memories never die!

Right, but you have to leave home to find that out for yourself. Experience (like the bench) is an excellent teacher. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
But sometimes they don’t. I was born and raised in Ohio, did my undergrad in Montana, my first master’s at UConn, and have been living in North Carolina for almost eight years.

I like going home to visit, but not every kid is itching to go back home.

Very true. My observation was not a one size fits all scenario. :)

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Very true. My observation was not a one size fits all scenario. :)

Oh, I know, I just had the other side to offer. She might go home, but there are a lot of us wanderers who don’t.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After her experience with Holly I doubt she goes to a program with a questionable coach.
Agreed. Most top HS players have been stars since 8th grade. Far too many assume that stardom will continue wherever they go to college. Most learn just how important a college coach is in helping them compete at the college level and beyond.

Westbrook is an outstanding talent who has clearly suffered under the HW regime at TN. If properly developed, she has the ability for a long career in the pros. I would expect Westbrook is intensely focused on playing for someone who will help her achieve her goals.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Most top HS players have been stars since 8th grade. Far too many assume that stardom will continue wherever they go to college. Most learn just how important a college coach is in helping them compete at the college level and beyond.

Westbrook is an outstanding talent who has clearly suffered under the HW regime at TN. If properly developed, she has the ability for a long career in the pros. I would expect Westbrook is intensely focused on playing for someone who will help her achieve her goals.

I’m putting Tennessee on my list because others are, but i really question whether they have enough minus Westbrook. Horston is my favorite player in the class but asking her to replace Westbrook immediately is a big ask.

Reaction Score
If she was complaining about the coaching at Tennessee, she will really be a handful with Gottlieb.

I agree! They are in for it next season. Kristine Anigwe masked a lottttt of problems for them the last couple seasons. With the departure of Smith I’m thinking they’re a sub .500 team. The only reason I think she might pick there is because she could be the sole star.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I’m putting Tennessee on my list because others are, but i really question whether they have enough minus Westbrook. Horston is my favorite player in the class but asking her to replace Westbrook immediately is a big ask.

Tennessee is such a hard team to evaluate because I envision the team looking very different on the court under Kellie. They have top 10 talent, but whether they reach their potential, lose anyone else to transfer, etc. remains to be seen. I wouldnt be shocked either way if they struggle or if they win the SEC...totally up in the air.

Reaction Score
Tennessee is such a hard team to evaluate because I envision the team looking very different on the court under Kellie. They have top 10 talent, but whether they reach their potential, lose anyone else to transfer, etc. remains to be seen. I wouldnt be shocked either way if they struggle or if they win the SEC...totally up in the air.

I feel the same, talent is there to be a possible elite eight team if they buy in to Harper’s vision. If they’re combative and not receptive they could be a sub .500 team.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I agree! They are in for it next season. Kristine Anigwe masked a lottttt of problems for them the last couple seasons. With the departure of Smith I’m thinking they’re a sub .500 team. The only reason I think she might pick there is because she could be the sole star.

After playing for an underachieving Tennessee team for 2 years, I would think she's looking for a Championship contender, not just any team where she can put up big scoring numbers.

I agree Cal is going to struggle. Either due to graduation or transfer they are losing most of their guards from this season as well as Anigwe. Just looked it up, losing top 4 scorers. Jaelyn Brown at 7.9 ppg will be their leading returning scorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom