Transfer thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is really not fair to judge Wilson on titles won since UCONN had one of the greatest teams in WCBB history. Could she have two championships with UCONN? Of course. A 1/2 star recruit could have won two titles on this team.
It is probably truly unfair to judge any players accomplishments by the standards set by Uconn---but isn't it just giddy to think along those lines??

Reaction Score
It is sad to think, and I do, that much of her problems stemmed from the "I Can't Breathe" t-shirts that she kind of spearheaded. I think that was a hard lesson learned and that she would probably go back in time and undo that if she could.
Had she had Christine Dailey to provide advise and the effects of what she was doing--she may have had third thoughts. Young people rarely think beyond the moment,(I was different--yea you bet) with out proper adult advise. It was a popular phrase about an incident--let us not hold being young and stupid against her ---many of us (me included) still do stupid kid tricks (maybe this is one) Maturity is a mind set not an age.

Reaction Score
Hey Samanthabrown3 - You nailed it. In addition, the press also has complaints against Geno and some might say his negative motivation methods are questionable. Also, his repetitive drills could be brought up for discussion. Geno saw the handwriting on the wall years ago. Geno & CD stated many times that there are less and less recruits that fill the complete list of UConn requirements. IMHO that is why Geno dipped down into a lower level of recruit (not top 25) and knew that Kyla Irwin and Bent were the perfect fit for UConn. The mental and emotional traits come first---then the BBIQ - then the skills. The first two are much more difficult to cultivate. Skills like shooting, passing, and defense can be improved over the years.
The WBB season is very long, lots of travel, and much more intense than the past. I saw signs of mental and emotional fatigue in ND, Maryland, & South Carolina. The fight was not evident. Baylor seemed ready to fight another few games, but was surprised by OSU. Of course, UConn has been there so many times they have the formula and the system. Diana stated that Geno knew the last month of the season was when he took his foot off the accelerator. She said he was more positive and worked on players confidence. Many coaches go the route of "more intense and harder practices." Whose to say what's best? Each team is different and Geno knows his team and what works.
Final thought - Most of the BY posters believe that there are 10 teams out there that are loading up with top talent and will be dangerous. I also see the talent streaming onto the elite 10 team rosters. The real question is--Can the coaches of those loaded teams put the ingredients together for an excellent result? We all will be watching closely.

Coach: Your last paragraph speaks loudly into who wins and who does not with equal or better talent. I hate to keep drinking the Geno (Jonestown) cool aid, but you can't deny his ability to get highly talented, entitled, highly recruited kids to follow his system. But I wouldn't have (except walkon's) bench warmers who only play in the last 3 minutes of blow out on my team--I'd ask them to transfer.
We have seen a few teams (Depaul and Dayton and Syracuse) that have had a level of success running many players into and out of games. That would work even in a modified Geno system while allowing that the top 8-9 players will play most in the NCAA's.
One other point: On the repetitive drills (abuse?); I and my teammates and classmates
must have been dumber than skunks because we were drilled drilled drilled (the holes were getting bigger) until we could do or say things before we were asked!! My D.I. must have learned from my teachers/coaches!.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
But I wouldn't have (except walkon's) bench warmers who only play in the last 3 minutes of blow out on my team--I'd ask them to transfer.

We have seen a few teams (Depaul and Dayton and Syracuse) that have had a level of success running many players into and out of games. That would work even in a modified Geno system while allowing that the top 8-9 players will play most in the NCAA's.
Just responding to these two points:
1. So you would have a Maria Conlon or Kiah Stokes transfer rather than keep them in the system, learning and growing as players until they were ready to take on the bigger minutes and contribute meaningfully to team success? Not everyone is ready to contribute in games when they arrive in college (especially at a strong program like Uconn.) Some may never, some may occasionally, and you never know whether it will work or not. And you need skilled bodies in practice.

2. Players are all unique and part of building a really good team is building chemistry within the players that play major minutes including those not starting. Especially at Uconn where offense and defense are very intricate systems, you can really mess up the development of a team by playing too many combinations of players because they don't build that chemistry - Syracuse and before them KY play systems that are close to 'organized chaos' at both ends of the floor - they have less talented players and less complex systems so running lots of players in and out keep the energy of their 'chaos' high and are not really reducing the talent mix on the floor. And they can have significant success until they run into a ND or Uconn that have precise highly skilled and highly talented rosters that can deconstruct the chaos, and punish all the obvious weaknesses it exposes. With a DePaul or a Villanova the system is much more organized and the substitutions are almost mix and match players with almost identical skills and talent levels - they all shoot the three well, they all pass well, and they are all almost the same height so it is easier to maintain consistency.
At Uconn, substituting a Kiah Stokes for a Dolson completely change the whole offensive flow and it looked really bad. Once Dolson graduated the system changed significantly and they practice specifically to incorporate her skills into the offense and defense and she was able to contribute much more and played many more meaningful minutes. Last year with Gabby, her skills were completely different from KML and enough different from Kiah, that she struggled within the concept of first team rotation and picked up most of her minutes in blow outs and rarely saw minutes in competitive games or the NCAA tournament. The team could deal with two sets with and without Kiah but trying to add a third variation to cater to Gabby just wasn't worth subtracting from the work being put into the first two. This year with Kiah and KML gone, you had in effect two sets with and without Gabby/Napheesa. Next year with the graduation of the big three we will probably see two sets with and without Butler. (And yes - it was clearly evident that with Natalie missing the first two months, the team moved on without her and never re-integrated her skill set once she returned. One reason she looked so 'out of place' when she did get minutes.)

Reaction Score
Just responding to these two points:
1. So you would have a Maria Conlon or Kiah Stokes transfer rather than keep them in the system, learning and growing as players until they were ready to take on the bigger minutes and contribute meaningfully to team success? Not everyone is ready to contribute in games when they arrive in college (especially at a strong program like Uconn.) Some may never, some may occasionally, and you never know whether it will work or not. And you need skilled bodies in practice.

2. Players are all unique and part of building a really good team is building chemistry within the players that play major minutes including those not starting. Especially at Uconn where offense and defense are very intricate systems, you can really mess up the development of a team by playing too many combinations of players because they don't build that chemistry - Syracuse and before them KY play systems that are close to 'organized chaos' at both ends of the floor - they have less talented players and less complex systems so running lots of players in and out keep the energy of their 'chaos' high and are not really reducing the talent mix on the floor. And they can have significant success until they run into a ND or Uconn that have precise highly skilled and highly talented rosters that can deconstruct the chaos, and punish all the obvious weaknesses it exposes. With a DePaul or a Villanova the system is much more organized and the substitutions are almost mix and match players with almost identical skills and talent levels - they all shoot the three well, they all pass well, and they are all almost the same height so it is easier to maintain consistency.
At Uconn, substituting a Kiah Stokes for a Dolson completely change the whole offensive flow and it looked really bad. Once Dolson graduated the system changed significantly and they practice specifically to incorporate her skills into the offense and defense and she was able to contribute much more and played many more meaningful minutes. Last year with Gabby, her skills were completely different from KML and enough different from Kiah, that she struggled within the concept of first team rotation and picked up most of her minutes in blow outs and rarely saw minutes in competitive games or the NCAA tournament. The team could deal with two sets with and without Kiah but trying to add a third variation to cater to Gabby just wasn't worth subtracting from the work being put into the first two. This year with Kiah and KML gone, you had in effect two sets with and without Gabby/Napheesa. Next year with the graduation of the big three we will probably see two sets with and without Butler. (And yes - it was clearly evident that with Natalie missing the first two months, the team moved on without her and never re-integrated her skill set once she returned. One reason she looked so 'out of place' when she did get minutes.)

Same argument different thread!! Gabby was an exception that proves the rule. She was Geno's fair haired player, she had lots of potential, she was used and adjusted and used again--she in her failures was learning. Butler first red shirt year then injuries--.
With KML you had instant scoring with Kiah instant defense--not ever bench setters. Think
about that!!!
The platoon system of ONLY Depaul and Dayton was discussed. Harry's system is way different than Uconn Dayton or depaul--he is and orchestra leader--they all learn to dribble while walking backwards then shoot the three. Depaul dayton much more motion.
I can discuss details till Mrs O'leary's cow comes home--but the city will still burn.
Same stuff--same results. You know what that mean!

Reaction Score
Don't remember much about Camara.....................too bad it wasn't Akahator........................her games a bit unrefined but she's quite athletic

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score

I'm a little surprised (well, maybe not) by this. She started and played very well for them. She impressed me with how she ran up and down the floor. Was a little foul proned but a lot of freshman post players are at that stage. She will be a nice pick up for someone.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Camara's stats in case anyone is wondering:

34 GP, 14 GS, 18.3 minutes/game, 5.1 ppg, 49.3% FG, 53.2% FT, 4.3 rpg, 19 assists, 60 turnovers, 30 blocks, 6 steals

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It is sad to think, and I do, that much of her problems stemmed from the "I Can't Breathe" t-shirts that she kind of spearheaded. I think that was a hard lesson learned and that she would probably go back in time and undo that if she could.

What is the basis for your statements? Or are you just guessing?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I wonder if Camara would still have any interest in UCONN and vice versa. A 6'2" versatile forward would be a nice replacement for losing Boykin. I wonder if Boutaly chose Kentucky in part because Boykin was already on board...

Reaction Score
From NYC went to Blair Academy, AEH's school.......................6'2".....................interesting...........................shame she has to sit out a year........................................................................

Power-body insider finishes vs. contact, delivers at the charity stripe; physical and aggressive with consistent interior game; rebounder deluxe, produces on the block.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
He is also reporting that Tamika has resigned as an assistant coach. (at Kentucky)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
What is the basis for your statements? Or are you just guessing?

Many of her problems seemed to have started after that t-shirt event. It was well documented that there were a lot of people who interpreted it to be anti-police and soon after she left the team. Maybe there was no connection but it sure seems coincidental in timing. I think that she may have found it hard to move past the backlash.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Raoul posts here sometimes. Wish he'd come and elaborate on why he tweeted that.

Can't provide the reasons for his tweet but there was some activity on Stevens's twitter account today that wouldn't happen unless there weren't something going on between Stevens and UConn. We all know the UConn coaches aren't active on twitter so when they engage in some activity, e.g., Dailey and Moseley following Stevens and being followed back, that tends to mean something's happening.

Having said that, it doesn't mean Stevens is coming to UConn; it suggests there's mutual interest.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
What I just wrote is a bit of a mess. I'll try again. The activity on Stevens's twitter account -- being followed by and then following Chris Dailey and Marisa Moseley -- wouldn't happen unless there were something going on between Stevens and UConn. I say this because the UConn coaches are largely inactive on twitter. They do, however, follow players they are recruiting as well as some of their family members.

Reaction Score
Can't provide the reasons for his tweet but there was some activity on Stevens's twitter account today that wouldn't happen unless there weren't something going on between Stevens and UConn. We all know the UConn coaches aren't active on twitter so when they engage in some activity, e.g., Dailey and Moseley following Stevens and being followed back, that tends to mean something's happening.

Having said that, it doesn't mean Stevens is coming to UConn; it suggests there's mutual interest.

Unless she has a second twitter account, I'm not sure if that information is correct................I haven't seen any UConn mentions or mentions of any other school for that matter on her twitter lately only birthday greetings including a tweet from A'ja Wilson............she has been in a cone of silence since the transfer as far as I can tell.........................now Megan Walker, Christyn Wiliams and Charli Collier have all retweeted Coach Bill's comments including the one about UConn coaches being three deep at the recent tournament....................please let me know if I am missing something.........................

Reaction Score
Unless she has a second twitter account, I'm not sure if that information is correct......I haven't seen any UConn mentions or mentions of any other school for that matter on her twitter lately only birthday greetings including a tweet from A'ja Wilson..she has been in a cone of silence since the transfer as far as I can tell.....now Megan Walker, Christyn Wiliams and Charli Collier have all retweeted Coach Bill's comments including the one about UConn coaches being three deep at the recent tournament.....please let me know if I am missing something.....

You're missing something.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Unless she has a second twitter account, I'm not sure if that information is correct......I haven't seen any UConn mentions or mentions of any other school for that matter on her twitter lately only birthday greetings including a tweet from A'ja Wilson..she has been in a cone of silence since the transfer as far as I can tell.....now Megan Walker, Christyn Wiliams and Charli Collier have all retweeted Coach Bill's comments including the one about UConn coaches being three deep at the recent tournament.....please let me know if I am missing something.....

You are missing something but I'm too tired to explain more than I have. Time for bed.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

you are missing something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#