Transfer thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
WBBFan - great work. I was hoping someone would make a comprehensive list and I hope you find time to update it occasionally as news comes in on where players are going or other players announce transfers. Couple of notes:

Isn't Nebraska Natalie Romeo transferring?
LaTech I guess is up in the air, but bears watching.

And not sure they really count as 'transfers' but all of the LaTech recruits have requested releases and I think there have been others associated with coaching changes that have done the same - they haven't arrived on campuses yet, but the NCAA 'transfer' rules still apply.

Uc --
From what I've read with Natalie Romeo, she wanted to be released so she could explore transferring (kind of like seeing if you want to go pro without hiring an agent?). In any case, that was just before Coach Williams was hired, who stated her first piece of business was talking to current players. You can bet the farm that meant a beeline to Ms. Romeo and Ms. Shephard. Coach Williams is supposed to be very gregarious with all critical audiences, so stay tuned....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wait, Brianna Turner could be out for up to six months after surgery? I missed that one. But that means she's ready for the start of the season, right?
Yes and yes.
Turner has missed games as Freshmen and Sophomore because of the same shoulder. She elected to play through the pain and have surgery in the off season. This is probably the biggest question mark for ND next season. No Turner or unhealthy turner =no FF for ND IMO.

Reaction Score
Yes and yes.
Turner has missed games as Freshmen and Sophomore because of the same shoulder. She elected to play through the pain and have surgery in the off season. This is probably the biggest question mark for ND next season. No Turner or unhealthy turner =no FF for ND IMO.

Sorry, I lost track. But how is KLS's foot now? Did they say she needs surgery? Lost track of the thread.

Reaction Score
Yes and yes.

Sorry, I lost track. But how is KLS's foot now? Did they say she needs surgery? Lost track of the thread.

Reaction Score
Many things in this article are not adding up reference White situation at Illinois.
She (White) absolutely loves the school, loves the fans, loves her teammates — just loves everything about it. The one missing element was postseason play. That was the holdup." Illinois last made the NCAA tournament in 2002. White was a McDonalds AA player and when she signed on, Illinois was coming off a 9-21 season. Unless she considered Illinois WNIT appearance the year before as "post season" ( technically it is) this sounds like something went wrong and the White's wanted out. No issues with them wanting out but don't say now you want to go play for NCAA tournament team.

1) Maybe she thought (or the coach pushed the idea) that the pieces were in place with her to go to the postseason.
2) Would it be better if she said "I'm leaving because the coach is dumba$$" or "because my teammates suck"? We all make polite excuses in life to explain things in a way not to hurt feelings or look impolite. Why is it any different when a kid does so in reference to why she is transferring?

Rarely do I fully believe what they say when they are transferring.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Yes and yes.

Yup...I'd agree with all that. Hopefully, her relative youth will lead her to a strong recovery in that designated time prognosis, but we'll see.
The Irish's other prognosis is with back-up point guard, Ali Patberg, who is still recovering from her ACL injury. She's supposed to hopefully be on tap in late summer. While Ali is not Turner, it would be great to have a legitimate back-up point guard to Lindsay Allen. Last year, Michaela Mabrey would try to hold the for rest periods and/or fouls. Wasn't optimal, but now that Mike has graduated.... Also, it would be great for Ms. Patberg to get some court time--it's been awhile.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1) Maybe she thought (or the coach pushed the idea) that the pieces were in place with her to go to the postseason.
2) Would it be better if she said "I'm leaving because the coach is dumba$$" or "because my teammates suck"? We all make polite excuses in life to explain things in a way not to hurt feelings or look impolite. Why is it any different when a kid does so in reference to why she is transferring?

Rarely do I fully believe what they say when they are transferring.
Polite excuses and skeptics (like me) don't mix. She can say whatever she want's to about leaving. I certainly don't expect her to say the the coach is a dumb^^^!S. I am just struck by the fact the family criteria for the new school is that specific. Shouldn't they have been that specific two years ago when she was coming out of HS?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thought I would bump this.
Interesting that we have gone a little while now with no word on the big names on the transfer 'wire' - maybe not as cut and dried as many assumed.

La Tech's quick coaching hire probably has something to do with trying to keep the current team together and convince the recruits to stay with the program.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Many things in this article are not adding up reference White situation at Illinois.
She (White) absolutely loves the school, loves the fans, loves her teammates — just loves everything about it. The one missing element was postseason play. That was the holdup." Illinois last made the NCAA tournament in 2002. White was a McDonalds AA player and when she signed on, Illinois was coming off a 9-21 season. Unless she considered Illinois WNIT appearance the year before as "post season" ( technically it is) this sounds like something went wrong and the White's wanted out. No issues with them wanting out but don't say now you want to go play for NCAA tournament team.

White's big tie to the UI program was the assistant coach that got dismissed. She was reportedly very unhappy about the dismissal. Combine that sentiment with an unfulfilling season...

Reaction Score
From all the names out there I'm only interested in Azura Stevens.......if their is mutual interest then it's got to happen..........won't help next season but would really solidify the program for the following two years

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
White's big tie to the UI program was the assistant coach that got dismissed. She was reportedly very unhappy about the dismissal. Combine that sentiment with an unfulfilling season...
Mike Divilbiss was NOT dismissed, he voluntarily left the program prior to the completion of the investigation which exonerated the head coach and would also have likely exonerated him.
By what standard did White have an unfulfilled season?
She led the team in points & rebounds was 2nd team All big 10 as a sophomore and made & played well on her USA basketball age group team this summer.
I don't want to sound dismissive but I am- that is about as much as you expect to accomplish when you decide to play at Illinois.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From all the names out there I'm only interested in Azura Stevens..if their is mutual interest then it's got to happen.....won't help next season but would really solidify the program for the following two years
She's the really big fish in the transfer market. With the A'Lexus Harrison transfer, Maryland has just became a player for her services. Maryland went after her hard and she came here during one of her official visits with Kiara Leslie who is also from North Carolina.

Reaction Score
She's the really big fish in the transfer market. With the A'Lexus Harrison transfer, Maryland has just became a player for her services. Maryland went after her hard and she came here during one of her official visits with Kiara Leslie who is also from North Carolina.

Hey Terp.................don't get greedy now................don't you already have a few 6'3"+ big girls on the team?

Even you would have to admit that at the moment UConn is vertically challenged!!!!!!!

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Mike Divilbiss was NOT dismissed, he voluntarily left the program prior to the completion of the investigation which exonerated the head coach and would also have likely exonerated him.
By what standard did White have an unfulfilled season?
She led the team in points & rebounds was 2nd team All big 10 as a sophomore and made & played well on her USA basketball age group team this summer.
I don't want to sound dismissive but I am- that is about as much as you expect to accomplish when you decide to play at Illinois.

You can put whatever lipstick on the pig/fiasco that was UI basketball last season (both men's and women's) but the word from those close to the program (of which I am NOT one) is the Divilbiss was given the choice of either leaving or being fired. I remains true that White was NOT happy about him no longer being with the program.

And the the 2015-16 results did not meet the expectations for Bollant and the team. Perhaps those expectations were unrealistic but the feeling surrounding the team is that they took a big step backwards.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
You can put whatever lipstick on the pig/fiasco that was UI basketball last season (both men's and women's) but the word from those close to the program (of which I am NOT one) is the Divilbiss was given the choice of either leaving or being fired. I remains true that White was NOT happy about him no longer being with the program.

And the the 2015-16 results did not meet the expectations for Bollant and the team. Perhaps those expectations were unrealistic but the feeling surrounding the team is that they took a big step backwards.

Further to Divilbiss - I'm not very good at linking stuff but I'll try. The quote below is from the linked article:

...but Divilbiss resigned in May, weeks after parents' complaints, in what Thomas called "a mutual separation."

Assistant coach in Illini women's suit gets results - at a cost, critics say

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I don't use lipstick (not anymore anyway:D). Divilbiss left the program May 2015 giving White roughly 3 month to execute a transfer if she desired. White chose to stay. Regarding the team expectations I guess I can see your point Illinois went from 6 conference wins in '14-'15 down to 2 Conference wins in '15-'16 season and finished dead last in the conference.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I don't use lipstick (not anymore anyway:D). Divilbiss left the program May 2015 giving White roughly 3 month to execute a transfer if she desired. White chose to stay. Regarding the team expectations I guess I can see your point Illinois went from 6 conference wins in '14-'15 down to 2 Conference wins in '15-'16 season and finished dead last in the conference.

I was very surprised that Bollant was retained after the season was over but given what happened in the football program and the on-going unresolved issues in the men's basketball program, Whitman may have decided that the women's program was not a big priority right now.

My original point was that White wasn't happy about the Divilbiss matter. She wasn't. However, her displeasure wasn't enough to transfer last summer, as you point out. But the combination of the back-sliding on-the-court results and her displeasure may have been enough to tip her the other way.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
top_left.gif

top_right.gif

Going to try to list the transfers that are happening since the season has ended for the most part. Not going to include transfers that were announced during the fall semester, like Linnae Harper picked Ohio State, but I'll list Reimer to MSU since it just happened recently. Will include injuries, like Brianna Turner's offseason surgery, and early entries to the professional ranks, like Angela Salvadores and Aerial Powers.

Nebraska:
Jasmine Cincore - Transferring

Little bit of an update on the Nebraska situation:
- Natalie Romeo, the sophomore guard, 2nd leading scorer and leading 3-pt. shooter for the Cornhuskers, is still exploring transferring. As such, she's visiting the Huskies -- the Washington Huskies that is -- this week. She's also met with new coach Amy Williams and had a good talk, so those talks are ongoing.

- Their two top 2016 recruits -- Mi'Cole Cayton from California and Kathleen Doyle of Illinois -- are exploring their commitments, as well. Not surprisingly, Coach Williams is on the road to meet and talk to these folks.
News on those developments below.

- In inverse news, she's bringing her entire coaching staff from South Dakota...

Notebook: Romeo plans to visit Washington; Williams hits recruiting trail

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My kid got the Heck out of dodge. Could have gone anywhere with her academics and athletics. Bolted from warm California to Syracuse NY. Whoda thunk it. Kids nowadays
Many years ago I was involved in a research project at Stanford U. I remember thinking that, if I were a student I would have flunked out. The campus and weather - so beautiful, day after day, that just sitting and watching the world go by would be the ritual. Now, in Syracuse, it's a whole different thing. Sitting in one's cozy room studying could easily be the number 1 priority.

Reaction Score
I bet you Dawn Staley does. Look at the roster she Frankensteined together with transfers. Imagine if she didn't get those? SCar would be real thin right now.
Do they all have those "electrodes" in their necks or only the Juco's??

Reaction Score
If JPM is found guilty of player mistreatment at Duke, Stevens would have grounds to petition the NCAA to be allowed to transfer and play next season.
Something I learned from a TV interview: If JPM is found NOT GUILTY will YOU apologize?? But this is America where you are guilty until you prove yourself not guilty (different than innocent).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom