Transfer thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UCONN doesn't "make room" for anyone. A'Ja is talented enough to make her own room on any roster including UCONN's. Why else would Geno have recruited her?
She would not take a spot from Mo, Stewie, Tuck, Kia, or KML. For a star in the making like her, she is probably better off going to South Carolina where there was a real need and she could get lots of playing time right away.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She would not take a spot from Mo, Stewie, Tuck, Kia, or KML. For a star in the making like her, she is probably better off going to South Carolina where there was a real need and she could get lots of playing time right away.
At a minimum, with A'Ja Wilson on the UCONN roster Gabby would not have been playing in the post for the last two years and Morgan would also have spent less time in the post. It is not about being a "starter" because Wilson was not a starter at South Carolina until this year either.

Reaction Score
Stevens would only play one year with Natalie with the transfer rules - it is not a vote of no confidence, but a succession plan albeit a one year succession plan. She is a great player, who wouldn't listen if she wanted to come to their school regardless of who else is on the roster.
At last, somebody who understands. Does the word "depth" have any meaning? No one is trashing Nat, but anybody could get injured [again].

Reaction Score
Really, where/how would Wilson have played the past 2 years for UConn? of course, she would have started, but her style of play would have forced Stewie to adjust hers, and it would have been pretty crowded with Stewie, Morgan, and A'ja all looking for room in the paint. Sure, they would have won 2 NC together, but UConn seemed to manage okay....

Of course, having A'ja at UConn NOW would be sublime. But we've got a bunch of terrific kids who will play exciting ball.

I couldn't imagine UConn making changes to Stewie's game for an incoming freshman!? I imagine that Wilson knew that she would be a focal point of the offense at SC during her freshman year while being a 3rd or 4th wheel at UConn.

Reaction Score
We have no real depth next year.. as far as experience. Our backcourt will be very young and with Jatarie White transferring (next year could've been great for her at SC, but I understand her decision) we only have a TRUE freshman off the bench for our front court and she's not even a low post presence, she's a stretch-4 with a 3 ball. Safe to say our starters will play A LOT next year. Cliney and Tiffany Davis will be good guards off the bench, both can shoot. Victoria Patrick, a true freshman, is a very good pure shooter... she'll play some minutes.

I don't think we start the season as a top 5 team... Talent wise? Definitely top 5.. but we're gonna take lumps in the beginning. By mid season I think we'll be in peak form. SC will be a very new team next year, especially in the backcourt (although we lose our starting guards, the talent upgrade there is almost exponential). The exciting thing for me is that this team has a higher ceiling than perhaps any team at SC before it...

Gee.........after reading your first couple of sentences I thought you were talking about UConn!!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I couldn't imagine UConn making changes to Stewie's game for an incoming freshman!? I imagine that Wilson knew that she would be a focal point of the offense at SC during her freshman year while being a 3rd or 4th wheel at UConn.
Freshmen Wilson was non-starter at SC= 6th wheel @SC < 6th wheel @Uconn.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
How about that team from up North?

CocoHusky asked about the teams other than UCONN on SC's non-conf schedule for next year. Pretty certain about those 3 plus UCONN.. I feel like I'm forgetting a few big schools.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CocoHusky asked about the teams other than UCONN on SC's non-conf schedule for next year. Pretty certain about those 3 plus UCONN.. I feel like I'm forgetting a few big schools.
Last year you had Arizona State and Duke (2nd year in a row). I imagine those were multi-year home and home agreements.
Ohio state, UCLA, & UCONN were already accounted for.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Chatrice White from Illinois has been granted her release to transfer. Originally from Nebraska.

Chatrice White Leaving Illinois Basketball Program

She led the Illini in Scoring and Rebounds last season. Played on the FIBA World Championship team.
I hope she takes a look at UCONN and vise versa. That FIBA team was coached by Dawn so if anyone wants to start the White to SC rumor go right ahead.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Is White going to Notre Dame ?

UPDATE: White could end up in ACC

According to that article....
“The ones (schools) that are on her list that she’s going to visit or has visited or will be visiting here in the next couple days, it’s probably going to be ACC,” said Bob White, who didn’t reveal the list but did say his daughter was on a visit Friday.

Over at McGraw's Bench, a number of of folks are hoping that the destination of that Friday (today) trip is South Bend. BTW, her cousin --- for what it's worth -- is a lacrosse player at ND.

I saw a clip of her playing against -- somewhat ironically given the news the last two weeks -- Nebraska and she has great range for a big. She hit from long range effortlessly.

Here's a clip from the Chicago Tribune from a few hours ago: Chatrice White transferring from Illinois women's basketball program

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Could quite possibly be a similar situation to what happened at Nebraska - the investigation drove a wedge between members of the team and destroyed the chemistry.

Whew...with fellow soph Brooke Kessinger transferring to Creighton this week, that wipes our an entire recruiting class (2014). Tough, tough situation for all concerned...

Reaction Score
(UPDATED) Parents express concern to Bollant, UI officials

Her parents were the ones who voiced support for Coach Bollant during the player complaints issue. It'll be interesting to see where she goes.

I may not have followed this Illinois coaching issue as closely as others but my gut says that I will defer to the opinion of the majority of players if they feel that a coach has been abusive. I am an older guy who came from an era of tough coaches and feel that coaches should be strict but there is a line that should not be crossed. If the players at the end of the bench feel that the coach is being abusive, I don't think that a favored player's word should have more precedence. It is easy to be "nicer" to your best player. And the opinion of a parent of a favored player should have even less influence.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is White going to Notre Dame ?

UPDATE: White could end up in ACC

This article on Chatrice White transferring suggests she will choose an ACC or Big 12 program which has reached the Sweet 16 or better the last two seasons. That would probably include Notre Dame, Florida State, Baylor, and Texas.

Nebraska native Chatrice White to transfer from Illinois; ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12 schools among options

Many things in this article are not adding up reference White situation at Illinois.
She (White) absolutely loves the school, loves the fans, loves her teammates — just loves everything about it. The one missing element was postseason play. That was the holdup." Illinois last made the NCAA tournament in 2002. White was a McDonalds AA player and when she signed on, Illinois was coming off a 9-21 season. Unless she considered Illinois WNIT appearance the year before as "post season" ( technically it is) this sounds like something went wrong and the White's wanted out. No issues with them wanting out but don't say now you want to go play for NCAA tournament team.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
top_left.gif

top_right.gif

Going to try to list the transfers that are happening since the season has ended for the most part. Not going to include transfers that were announced during the fall semester, like Linnae Harper picked Ohio State, but I'll list Reimer to MSU since it just happened recently. Will include injuries, like Brianna Turner's offseason surgery, and early entries to the professional ranks, like Angela Salvadores and Aerial Powers.

Alabama:
C'coriea Foy - Transferring to North Carolina A&T
Karyla Middlebrook - Transferring to Kansas State. #81 recruit by ESPN in 2013. Immediately eligible

Arkansas-Little Rock:
Autumn Williams - Transferring

Austin Peay:
J'Nayah Hall - Transferring

Cal State Bakersfield:
Jamee Denman - Transferring

Central Michigan:
Karli Herrington - Transferring

Delaware:
Hannah Friend - Transferring

Duke:
Azura Stevens - Transferring. 2015 USA U19 team; 2015-2016 1st Team All ACC
Angela Salvadores - Turning pro.

East Tennessee State:
Kaylee Barnard - Transferring

Elon:
Nikki McDonald - Transferring

Fordham:
Alexia Douglas - Transferring

Gardner Webb:
Aunesha Williams - Transferring

George Mason:
Mikala McGhee - Transferring; immediately eligible

Hofstra:
Kelly Loftus - Transferring. Team's leading scorer.

Illinois:
Chatrice White - Transferring. 2015 USAU19 team; 19 PPG, 9 RPG in 2015-2016 season.

Indiana:
Jess Walter - Transferring to Northern Kentucky

Iowa:
Whitney Jennings - Transferring to Butler. Starter and avg 10 PPG in 2015-2016.
Tagyn Larson - Transferring to South Dakota State

Kansas:
Lauren Aldridge - Transferring to Missouri. Lead KU in scoring with 11 PPG

Kentucky:
Ivana Jakubcova - Transferring

Louisiana Tech:
Tiara Davenport - Transferring. C-USA All Freshman Team

Louisville:
Taja Cole - Transferring. 2015 McDonald's All American
Sydney Brackemyre - Transferring. #39 recruit by ESPN in 2014.

Loyola University Chicago:
Whisper Fisher - Transferring
Ryaen Johnson - Transferring
Taylor Johnson - Transferring; immediately eligible

Maryland:
Alexus Harrison - Transferring; immediately eligible

Massachusetts:
Cierra Dillard - Transferring to Buffalo. 16 PPG

Memphis:
Mooriah Rowser - Transferring; immediately eligible

Michigan State:
Aerial Powers - Early entry into the WNBA Draft.

Minnesota:
Josie Buckingham - Transferring to Loyola Marymount
Danielle Garven - Transferring

Nebraska:
Jasmine Cincore - Transferring

New Mexico:
Whitney Johnson - Transferring
Jannon Otto - Transferring

Norfolk State:
Quiera Gilmore

North Carolina A&T:
Rejoice Spivey - Transferring

Notre Dame:
Taya Reimer - Transferring to Michigan State. 2015 USA Pan Am Team
Brianna Turner - Injured. Missing 4-6 months after shoulder surgery (4/12/16)

Ole Miss:
Kelsey Briggs - Transferring

Pepperdine:
Erica Ogwumike - Transferring to Rice
Olivia Ogwumike - Transferring to Rice

Pittsburgh:
Stasha Carey - Transferring. 2 year starter; #87 recruit by ESPN in 2014.
Fred Potvin - Transferring. Led Pitt in 3's.

SMU:
Keely Froling - Playing back home in Australia

South Carolina:
Jatarie White - Transferring. 2014 McDonald's All American
Kaydra Duckett - Transferring. #32 recruit by ESPN in 2014.'

Texas:
Sara Hattis - Transferring and immediately eligible. Was top 100 recruit in 2012 until she decided to play volleyball (Sara Hattis chooses thrill of the kill)

Toledo:
Lindsay Dorr - Transferring

Tulane:
Taylor Emery - Transferring. American Conference All Freshman Team

Utah:
Gabrielle Bowie - Transferring
Jordanna Porter - Transferring
Devri Owens - Transferring; immediately eligible

Utah State:
Funda Nakkasoglu - Leaving the team. 20 PPG, leading scorer in MWC; 2014-2015 MWC Freshman of the Year; top 10 nationally in FT%; 4th nationally in FT's made.
Baylee Peck - Transferring

Vanderbilt:
Kristen Gaffney - Transferring to East Carolina; immediately eligible
Kendall Shaw - Transferring.

Virginia:
Mikayla Venson - Transferring. Led team in scoring at 15 PPG. #44 recruit by ESPN in 2014
Sydney Umeri - Transferring; immediately eligible. #29 recruit by ESPN in 2013

Wagner:
Jasmine Nwajei - Transferring. 2,000 point scorer at Wagner
Sofia Roma - Transferring. Led NEC in rebounding

West Virginia:
Lauren Saiki - Transferring
Yazzy Sadullah - Transferring

Winthrop:
Aliyah Kilpatrick - Transferring; immediately eligible
Arianne Whitaker - Transferring

Wisconsin-Green Bay
Latesha Buck - Transferring. 1,000 point scorer at UWGB

Youngstown State:
Jill Blacksten - Transferring
Melissa Brown Transferring

Above from the RebKell Site.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
top_left.gif

top_right.gif

Illinois:
Chatrice White - Transferring. 2015 USAU19 team; 19 PPG, 9 RPG in 2015-2016 season.

Thanks for posting! One to add (and only because I've been reading about Illinois...)
Brooke Kessinger, who just finished her soph. year at Illinois, also chose to transfer and will be attending
Creighton next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
WBBFan - great work. I was hoping someone would make a comprehensive list and I hope you find time to update it occasionally as news comes in on where players are going or other players announce transfers. Couple of notes:

Isn't Nebraska Natalie Romeo transferring?
LaTech I guess is up in the air, but bears watching.

And not sure they really count as 'transfers' but all of the LaTech recruits have requested releases and I think there have been others associated with coaching changes that have done the same - they haven't arrived on campuses yet, but the NCAA 'transfer' rules still apply.

Reaction Score
Wait, Brianna Turner could be out for up to six months after surgery? I missed that one. But that means she's ready for the start of the season, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom