Transfer thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I wish Taya all the best in the world--even the ND world--she is and was one of the best posts --she developed into a very good post/forward. Nothing she did while playing against Uconn was less that good/very good.

It is sad to think, and I do, that much of her problems stemmed from the "I Can't Breathe" t-shirts that she kind of spearheaded. I think that was a hard lesson learned and that she would probably go back in time and undo that if she could.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't understand why any parent of a talented high school girl would not be pushing their daughter to UConn. If they watched the final game, they surely heard the announcers gush over Geno's coaching superiority, saying over and over how he not only gets the best out of each his players but how he does such an amazing job of preparing them for life beyond basketball. I think it was Doris Burke who said, in the Final, how she wishes he could coach more players.
Given these testimonials, given Geno's unmatched record, given how players blossom under his tutelage,and given that UConn is a quality school, why would a parent who presumably want his/her child to have the best chance at reaching her fullest potential, want her to go anywhere else?
Yes, Storrs is not South Bend nor Durham; but, in Women's Basketball, it sits alone, without peer.
I read all that time that Dawn is a good coach. Tell me, is A'ja developing as well as she would be at UConn? Does she have 2 championships?
If I'm Megan Walker's parents, or the parents of any high school player with that level of potential, I am doing all I can to persuade her to UConn.
And, that goes for talented college underclassmen who, after watching the UConn excellence and love fest, may be realizing that they may have not made the best choice for themselves by going elsewhere. (Were you watching, A'ja?!)

It is really not fair to judge Wilson on titles won since UCONN had one of the greatest teams in WCBB history. Could she have two championships with UCONN? Of course. A 1/2 star recruit could have won two titles on this team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am really hoping that Baylor does not have any key transfers, but I do worry that Dekeiya Cohen may decide that she does not want to play behind Davis, Cox, Mompremier and Brown next season. I am not sure that her shot is good enough to play at the 3 and I just don't see her getting too many minutes at the 4 or 5. She is a super gifted athlete and is strong on the boards and plays great defense. I hope she decides to work on her shot and come back ready to play at the 3 but I am not convinced that she will take that route.

Reaction Score
It is really not fair to judge Wilson on titles won since UCONN had one of the greatest teams in WCBB history. Could she have two championships with UCONN? Of course. A 1/2 star recruit could have won two titles on this team.

That's very true............ it's not fair to judge her by the number of championships she's won but you have to admit, while she is a really good player, her game has not grown significantly over the first two years of her college career...........I think she would be a different player if she trained in the UConn system...............

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That's very true.. it's not fair to judge her by the number of championships she's won but you have to admit, while she is a really good player, her game has not grown significantly over the first two years of her college career......I think she would be a different player if she trained in the UConn system.....

Well, she was on a lot of AA teams this season. She must developing just a little bit.

Reaction Score
Well, she was on a lot of AA teams this season. She must developing just a little bit.

She is a special talent............she would be a top ten player without any sort of coaching at this point....... ..but there is still way more for her to accomplish personally ........let's see if she reaches her true potential under DS..........

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
I don't believe that Geno would reach out to Stevens. Upon request, he may grant her an interview (as he did with Nat).

Should anything come of that, she would still sit out for a year.

Definitely a long shot.

If JPM is found guilty of player mistreatment at Duke, Stevens would have grounds to petition the NCAA to be allowed to transfer and play next season.

Reaction Score

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Hahaha they just won't let A'ja Wilson go... :cool:

It's highly contradictory that while FIRST team All-American A'ja Wilson hasn't developed well underneath Dawn on one hand, that same select few still pine over the days she could've worn husky blue in Storrs..

Reaction Score

It's highly contradictory that while A'ja hasn't developed well underneath Dawn on one hand, that same select few still pine over the days she could've worn husky blue in Storrs..

When you are a true believer in the UConn "Way", it is always a bit disappointing to see a great talent not reach her full potential under another's tutelage..........right or wrong, that's the thought process as best as I can describe it.... ........answer this question honestly...........all other things being equal, if you had a talented college recruit who was willing and able to work her butt off to reach her maximum potential as a basketball player.............where would you send her? Others may disagree, but for most of us there is a clear answer.....................UConn.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
When you are a true believer in the UConn "Way", it is always a bit disappointing to see a great talent not reach her full potential under another's tutelage.....right or wrong, that's the thought process as best as I can describe it.... ...answer this question honestly......all other things being equal, if you had a talented college recruit who was willing and able to work her butt off to reach her maximum potential as a basketball player...where would you send her? Others may disagree, but for most of us there is a clear answer......UConn.

I would probably send her wherever SHE wanted to go.

Look, I respect the UCONN system.. I think Geno is a great coach and the results obviously speak for themselves. But I don't subject to the notion that just because you're a #1 recruit you MUST go to the #1 program. Nah, I don't buy that. A lot of that belief stems in fan entitlement, but it's also just fans being competitive. There's something for everybody and with hard work you can attain measurable goals at just about any school.

I love the fact that Wilson and Lauren Cox did not choose UCONN. Sure, it's a thorn in your side perhaps... and sure, my school was the beneficiary of one of those decisions but I also enjoy it because it's cool when hometown kids play for hometown crowds... and speaking from personal experience, Columbia loves A'ja Wilson and she loves Columbia.

There's no doubt in my mind that she could've been the next star at UCONN post-Breanna Stewart but instead she will have a great career at South Carolina... She's done well so far, but her show really begins next year.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sheesh, I turn my back for a few hours and suddenly we are under attack by the usual suspects! :p

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There's no doubt in my mind that she could've been the next star at UCONN post-Breanna Stewart but instead she will have a great career at South Carolina... She's done well so far, but her show really begins next year.
Good luck with that! SC is not in my preseason top 4 so you guys have some work to do! ;)

Reaction Score
I would probably send her wherever SHE wanted to go.

Look, I respect the UCONN system.. I think Geno is a great coach and the results obviously speak for themselves. But I don't subject to the notion that just because you're a #1 recruit you MUST go to the #1 program. Nah, I don't buy that. A lot of that belief stems in fan entitlement, but it's also just fans being competitive. There's something for everybody and with hard work you can attain measurable goals at just about any school.

I love the fact that Wilson and Lauren Cox did not choose UCONN. Sure, it's a thorn in your side perhaps... and sure, my school was the beneficiary of one of those decisions but I also enjoy it because it's cool when hometown kids play for hometown crowds... and speaking from personal experience, Columbia loves A'ja Wilson and she loves Columbia.

I appreciate your thoughts on this.............You have always been very respectful of us Yankees.........(BTW my two uncles built much of the suburbs of Charleston in the 1950's- 1980's) When it comes to selecting the right school, I respect whatever the recruit and her family decides..........that's why I prefaced my thought with "all things being equal"..........I am basing my argument not on the number of championships that UConn has won but on the year to year improvement of so many of the school's players. Perhaps it's unfair because no one can see how every player on every other team has progressed during their 4 years but when it comes to the development of their best players, I believe that nobody holds a candle to the UConn coaching staff.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Good luck with that! SC is not in my preseason top 4 so you guys have some work to do! ;)

No worries, SI doesn't have us in their preseason top 5 either... we're probably not in their top 10 as well. I think we'll be just okay next year. ;)

Reaction Score
Just as a reminder to everyone - there is a very important thread on this board about a young person's struggle with depression - who happened to be a member of the Uconn team. It is just possible that Uconn was not the best choice for her, but of course we will never know.
Cassie Kerns article (merged threads)

Just remember that Basketball is not Life.
Thread was about mental illness. Nothing to do with Uconn or basketball other then the college she attended during her struggle.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No worries, SI doesn't have us in their preseason top 5 either... we're probably not in their top 10 as well. I think we'll be just okay next year. ;)
Really? I did not know that. I was sort of being funny, but IMHO, you guys lost all your starting guards. I think Gray is going to be outstanding - maybe as good as Mitchell, but if you start Cuevas, Gray, Davis, Wilson and Coates (imposing starting 5 btw), I'm not sure you have any strong guard play off the bench, and I'm not sure Cuevas is a good floor general. She still seems too out of control for me and not great at "running the team"... Just my $.02. I bet you've seen SC much more than I have. Really I don't "care" how good you guys are next year - as long as you (and Miss State and Kentucky and...) beat the snot out of Tenn.

Reaction Score
Not all recruits want to win championships. Some just want their friends to come to games

Reaction Score
Not all recruits want to win championships. Some just want their friends to come to games

That's fine too...........I suspect my daughter would do that if she could

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thread was about mental illness. Nothing to do with Uconn or basketball other then the college she attended during her struggle.
That thread was about the real life issues of college age kids and the pressures under which they sometime crack. When people on these threads talk about what terrible choices recruits make about the school they attend when they do not choose Uconn, it is just a reminder that Uconn is not the solution for every 18 year old basketball player. That there are more important things in life than basketball, and that being happy in their choice of school and being successful in life and being healthy in mind and body is much more important.
What happened with Cassie was close to a tragedy, that a player does not develop to the fullest potential during their 4 years of college will never be a tragedy. For EDD four years near home with less than the best coaching and less than the most skilled teammates and limited team success does not seem to have stunted her professional career in a noticeable way, and I suspect the four years closer to her sister made her happier than had she stayed at Uconn.

It's highly contradictory that while FIRST team All-American A'ja Wilson hasn't developed well underneath Dawn on one hand, that same select few still pine over the days she could've worn husky blue in Storrs..
Some of us think she has developed just fine. I could be cute and say I would prefer she just stand still for the next two years and that Dawn to be of limited success in developing her and others! :eek::rolleyes::)

I see serious improvement in her game and she talks of working more on her range this summer which will be good. That she struggled to guard Stewart was no surprise, most people did! But I think she should work on her defensive skills 'in space' to maximize her value at the next level. She has time to do so.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are you sure you actually read the article?
Basketball & UCONN are significant parts of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom