Transfer Thread Pt 2..... | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Transfer Thread Pt 2.....

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I believe the rule for graduate transfer is that their new institution offers a graduate major which their current institution does not offer.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
that adult diaper look is just so South Carolina...I gotta say they have to be the favorite.....

Lol um no. We never did the diaper look. Our girls would roll their waistband.. but we never rolled the bottom.

Now, our coaching staff relented and our girls just wear shorter shorts now.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Arike & Mabrey were same class as KLS and Napheesa. Both KLS and Napheesa started games as freshmen for UCONN's championship team and were named AA as sophmores. Jackie Young is the same class as Crystal and it is debatable that Young had a better Freshmen season that Crystal. No ND freshmen this season had a better year than Megan Walker.
You would have to back 4 year 2014 to find ND freshmen that out performed UCONN freshmen.
That is not the subject we were discussing. The subject was UCONN's offense and ND offense. You said ND offense is just as complicated as UCONN's. You asked what ND freshmen played as freshmen. I answered. It does not matter what class they were in. They evidently learned ND complicated offense quicker than UCONN's freshmen learned their's. I was not commenting on the quality of the play. The players I named played quite a bit in their freshman season at ND and played early and often.

Reaction Score
And where do Boothe & Howard fit in? :D

Not sure about Boothe transferring but Howard would be the energizer bunny and rebounding queen we need! She would only be for a year so she wouldn't block any scholarship players for 2019

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
As a matter of fact, Notre Dame HAS a freshman this year who is perfectly healthy and did not see a minute of play in this Final Four. Her name is Danielle Patterson, a 6-2 forward from Long Island who was a McDonalds All-American last year as a senior in high school. Have you ever heard of her? Have you ever asked why she never got into either of these games? (Checking the box scores, she played 9 minutes against Villanova and 8 minutes against TA&M. Didn’t do much, apparently. My guess is that those minutes were in garbage time.)

If Notre Dame had lost either of the last two games (which could easily have happened), do you think the Muffet would deserve to be criticized for not developing her freshman forward so that she could give a few minutes of bench time when (as in tonight’s game) two of Notre Dame’s forwards played most of the second half with four fouls?

I really don’t see the difference between her situation and Megan Walker’s, except that Megan was more highly ranked coming out of high school. Both teams had a desperate need for effective bench players, but neither of these players fit that description.

You mention three players who are NOT freshman for Notre Dame this year. Arike and Mabrey were in the KLS/Collier class, and Young was in the Dangerfield class. I think if you checked their freshman minutes and productivity against their same-class counterparts at UConn, they would be quite similar.

I repeat again a point that you and many other posters don’t seem to get: Geno has no generic aversion to playing freshmen. In recent years, he has given substantial non-garbage minutes to Crystal, KLS, and Pheesa as freshmen, and certainly to Kia Nurse in her freshman year. I’m sure he really hoped to get something similar from this year’s freshman class, but he just didn’t. I think he hopes and expects, as we do, that next year’s freshmen will be a different and more typical story.
This post has nothing to do with my post. My post was not about only this season's freshmen. If you had read the post to which I was responding, you would not have wasted so many words talking about something that did not relate to my post.

Reaction Score
Harris, Jackson, Cliney, Herbert Harrigan and Jennings would be my guess. Cuevas-Moore, Cooper, Henderson, Grissett, and Williams off the bench.
Outside of Harris is there anybody on the team that’s sort of reliable from 3? Is Jennings foul prone?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Lol um no. We never did the diaper look. Our girls would roll their waistband.. but we never rolled the bottom.

Now, our coaching staff relented and our girls just wear shorter shorts now.
That seems like a win-win t0 me. :p

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That is not the subject we were discussing. The subject was UCONN's offense and ND offense. You said ND offense is just as complicated as UCONN's. You asked what ND freshmen played as freshmen. I answered. It does not matter what class they were in. They evidently learned ND complicated offense quicker than UCONN's freshmen learned their's. I was not commenting on the quality of the play. The players I named played quite a bit in their freshman season at ND and played early and often.

If what you say is true then ND has more intelligent freshmen than UCONN because ND's freshmen get a lot more playing time than UCONN's. I am also surprised that you believe that.
Both of your bolded statements are demonstrably false.
Not since 2014 have ND freshmen played more than UCONN freshmen.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Outside of Harris is there anybody on the team that’s sort of reliable from 3? Is Jennings foul prone?

I personally think Bianca Jackson is a better shooter than Harris. She was shooting 40% from 3 at one point... she’s only a freshman and I’m expecting her to be better next season. Jackson is a natural at scoring.

Tomorrow we’ll find out if Bianca Cuevas-Moore is returning, and I also think she’s a better 3 point shooter than Harris. Cuevas and Jackson will bring a lot of firepower if we end up having both next season..

Reaction Score

Bianca Jackson will be the best shooter next year. She learns the game fast because she been around it her entire life. Both her parents coach on the collegiate level so she has a very high BBall IQ. She had the best 3pt percentage of all freshmen in the sec. She will make that sophomore leap and become a big time player next year. Jennings isn't foul prone when she's focused. Remains to be seen how she plays without A'ja though. She will certainly have the experience.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Who are SC starting five next year? I expect Dawn to hit the transfer market heavy next soon. Wouldn't be surprised either if some Texas players are linked to SC.

The Gamecocks have 4 of 5 starters returning and Bianca Cuevas-Moore comes back from her knee injury and Te'a Cooper will be eligible, along with the #1 incoming point guard. I'm not sure why people think we're not going to be good next season. Yes, A'ja is a huge loss, but we will be much more experienced, overall, next season.

Reaction Score
Is there any doubt that Anriel Howard will end up with Dawn at South Carolina? ;)

Actually, it might be interesting to see how the graduate-transfer option applies to intra-conference transfers. Looks like she has a full release.

But, she's not graduating until mid to late August. So, then she enrolls in the Fall (early September) at her new school, which means very limited practice time with her new team.

Good luck to her. Enjoy watching players who give maximum effort on the court.

Let's hope so. We can use the help.

Reaction Score
Jackson at 40, I think BCM was at 40% last year after dialing it back and it looks like she will be back. Harris was pretty good in conference play.
Sarah might have been better off going to UConn

I just wish Dawn hadn't split her minutes with Jatarie White. Imovbioh was effective, White was not.

Reaction Score
Ah gotcha. Sorry if it was stated earlier...I just didn’t read it! If that’s the case, she’d be smart to try for Louisville or maybe Oregon/Oregon State. She won’t start at ND, UCONN, or Baylor. She ain’t winning a title if she goes to SC or Tennessee IMO.
In terms of "need" Oregon State would love to have her, and desperately needs a rebounder like her to replace Gulich. With the addition of Destiny Slocum next year, and losing one senior (Gulich), that would fill a HUGE hole in the OSU lineup.

Reaction Score
I've lurked the Boneyard for years but only joined yesterday to provide an A&M fan perspective on the Anriel Howard news. To say it's a shock is an understatement and the tweet coming on April 1 had many of us hoping it was a bad idea of a prank.

Anriel has probably been the top fan favorite since she arrived on campus, and she's literally the face of the program in many ways. The video that plays on the scoreboard at Reed Arena before the team intros used to be music - last year it was Beyonce. This year it was narrated by Anriel; I don't remember it being a player ever before. At the end of each game another video has Anriel thanking the fans for coming and telling everyone to drive safely. In terms of her career goals beyond basketball, she's had an internship with 12th man productions for 3 years.

It's always possible that the public face of the team isn't reflective of what goes on behind the scenes, but I'm skeptical of the idea that Howard looking to leave has anything to do with how she feels about playing with Carter. They've both talked about how Anriel took Chennedy under her wing when Carter arrived, and at least in public Howard seems happy about playing with Carter.

Clearly something is going on that we don't know about. Local radio is saying that while she's asked for permission, she hasn't said she's definitively gone. I'm holding out hope for now that we can recruit her back to the program.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The Gamecocks have 4 of 5 starters returning and Bianca Cuevas-Moore comes back from her knee injury and Te'a Cooper will be eligible, along with the #1 incoming point guard. I'm not sure why people think we're not going to be good next season. Yes, A'ja is a huge loss, but we will be much more experienced, overall, next season.
Obviously, I didn't see SC play a lot this season. But in the 2 games vs UConn, I was surprised at how ineffective Harris was. I liked what I saw of Jackson, and I think that Bianca-Cuevas is most effective at the 2-guard where she can flat out score the basketball. But I wonder if Cooper or the incoming freshman pg will push Harris for the starting pg role. Dawn needs a better floor general to run the show, at least as far as the games I saw when the Gamecocks and Huskies were matched up.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Obviously, I didn't see SC play a lot this season. But in the 2 games vs UConn, I was surprised at how ineffective Harris was. I liked what I saw of Jackson, and I think that Bianca-Cuevas is most effective at the 2-guard where she can flat out score the basketball. But I wonder if Cooper or the incoming freshman pg will push Harris for the starting pg role. Dawn needs a better floor general to run the show, at least as far as the games I saw when the Gamecocks and Huskies were matched up.
Jackson and Harris will start and get the bulk of minutes because they are superior defenders to Cuevas & and Cooper. I suppose some 3 guard rotations for SC is possible.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Both of your bolded statements are demonstrably false.
Not since 2014 have ND freshmen played more than UCONN freshmen.
Name the UCONN freshmen.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I expected a lot more from Harris than what she gave.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Jackson and Harris will start and get the bulk of minutes because they are superior defenders to Cuevas & and Cooper. I suppose some 3 guard rotations for SC is possible.
No doubt Harris is a solid defender, but watching her indecisiveness on offense in 2 games vs UConn this year, it begs the question, is she really a pg? I am reminded that Bianca-Cuevas struggled in the pg role before Harris filled that position. Once that change occurred, it was if Bianca-Cuevas had been set free to play her natural game. Maybe Harris would be more effective on offense if she doesn’t have to run the point?

Reaction Score
I expected a lot more from Harris than what she gave.

I think she needs to look to attack the rim more in transition and in general to take on more of the scoring. That's what this past team really needed and she seemed to shy away from that. Perhaps that's what the coaches wanted her do though.

If I had to guess:

Harris/Henderson
Cooper /Cuevas-Moore / Patrick
Jackson / Cliney
Herbert-Harrigan/Grissett / Saxton
Jennings / Williams

South Carolina doesn't seem to have an ideal answer at that wing spot. I'm guessing three guards, but they can always choose to start Grissett and Herbert-Harrigan for the bigger lineup.

Reaction Score

Harris by far was the most important player on the team besides A'ja. She led the SEC in assist per game. She has had a few bad shooting games and did not play well against UConn. She played the most minutes of any of our players since we don't have a backup point guard. There is no chance Cooper will take Harris spot as the starting point. Cooper may play along side her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom