Transfer Thread Pt 2..... | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Transfer Thread Pt 2.....

Reaction Score
No doubt Harris is a solid defender, but watching her indecisiveness on offense in 2 games vs UConn this year, it begs the question, is she really a pg? I am reminded that Bianca-Cuevas struggled in the pg role before Harris filled that position. Once that change occurred, it was if Bianca-Cuevas had been set free to play her natural game. Maybe Harris would be more effective on offense if she doesn’t have to run the point?

I would not compare Harris's struggles to Cuevas-Moore. Cuevas-Moore struggled with making good decisions, making shots, turning the ball over, defense.

Harris really didn't struggle handling the ball or making good decisions or initiating sets. She didn't try to do too much. Maybe at times she overestimated the ability of her teammates to handle pin point passes.

If anything, she tried to do too little scoring the ball. IMO. After Wilson returned from hiatus, she seemed to revert to a more passive game after demonstrating she could put up points if needed.

I think she can score more.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Harris by far was the most important player on the team besides A'ja. She led the SEC in assist per game. She has had a few bad shooting games and did not play well against UConn. She played the most minutes of any of our players since we don't have a backup point guard. There is no chance Cooper will take Harris spot as the starting point. Cooper may play along side her.
Maybe I just caught Harris on a couple bad nights. UConn can have that effect on some very good players. But in all honesty, I felt Harris was more effective vs UConn as a freshman.

Reaction Score
No doubt Harris is a solid defender, but watching her indecisiveness on offense in 2 games vs UConn this year, it begs the question, is she really a pg? I am reminded that Bianca-Cuevas struggled in the pg role before Harris filled that position. Once that change occurred, it was if Bianca-Cuevas had been set free to play her natural game. Maybe Harris would be more effective on offense if she doesn’t have to run the point?

You are basing this on 2 games versus UConn. Harris is by far the best point guard on the team. She was 2nd team all conference. She didn't get first team because of Carter and her scoring .

Reaction Score
Maybe I just caught Harris on a couple bad nights. UConn can have that effect on some very good players. But in all honesty, I felt Harris was more effective vs UConn as a freshman.

Harris was more effective because SC had two elite wings (Davis and Gray) who could also help with the ball handling duties not to mention Cuevas Moore.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You are basing this on 2 games versus UConn. Harris is by far the best point guard on the team. She was 2nd team all conference. She didn't get first team because of Carter and her scoring .
As I said in my original post, I’ve only seen 2 games. I certainly defer to SC fans who’ve seen Harris play a lot more than me.

Reaction Score
Arike & Mabrey were same class as KLS and Napheesa. Both KLS and Napheesa started games as freshmen for UCONN's championship team and were named AA as sophmores. Jackie Young is the same class as Crystal and it is debatable that Young had a better Freshmen season that Crystal. No ND freshmen this season had a better year than Megan Walker.
You would have to back 4 year 2014 to find ND freshmen that out performed UCONN freshmen.
Mikayla Vaughn did in six games more than what Walker did all year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jackson and Harris will start and get the bulk of minutes because they are superior defenders to Cuevas & and Cooper. I suppose some 3 guard rotations for SC is possible.

Not so sure they are superior to Cuevas-Moore and Cooper. BCM is known for her defensive tenacity and speed and there is talk that Te'a might be the best on ball defender that we have. I think all four have the ability on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
Sorry but I don’t see SC as a legitimate threat to any of the big dogs next year. Did you notice that the role players (everyone but A’ja) was left wide open & they looked afraid of their own shadows. Sorry but A’ja is gone, it’s going to be a rebuild next seasons in terms of a national championship shot is concerned.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I would not compare Harris's struggles to Cuevas-Moore. Cuevas-Moore struggled with making good decisions, making shots, turning the ball over, defense.

Harris really didn't struggle handling the ball or making good decisions or initiating sets. She didn't try to do too much. Maybe at times she overestimated the ability of her teammates to handle pin point passes.

If anything, she tried to do too little scoring the ball. IMO. After Wilson returned from hiatus, she seemed to revert to a more passive game after demonstrating she could put up points if needed.

I think she can score more.
I saw four or five SCar games this year. I was pretty impressed with her. Hopefully next year she'll come into her own.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Cuevas struggled with doing too much. As the pg, Cuevas had trouble deciding when to be a playmaker and when to initiate her own offense.. so that often led to erratic play. Harris struggles with the exact opposite. Harris is a very good playmaker.. she knows where to put the ball and how to get it there, but Harris likes to blend in. Harris doesn't do enough on the court. She needs to be more aggressive offensively. When A'ja was out we saw the kind of player she could be offensively and she'll need to be that player more often than not next season.

I think Harris and Cuevas start in the backcourt because their skills complement one another. Cuevas is an exceptional defender and scorer, but she can also be a secondary ball handler. Harris is an exceptional playmaker, primary ball handler and an above average defender.. but she can also score if necessary. Next year, it will be necessary. Cooper will be the 6th woman off the bench and can play either guard spot. Jackson will likely move to the 3-spot... SC historically has lacked there (except last year when we had Davis/Gray) but I think Jackson will be the next good big guard at SC.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Jackson at 40, I think BCM was at 40% last year after dialing it back and it looks like she will be back. Harris was pretty good in conference play.

I just wish Dawn hadn't split her minutes with Jatarie White. Imovbioh was effective, White was not.
We thank Dawn for Jatarie White transferring to Texas; not sure where we would have been without her this season.

Reaction Score
Cuevas struggled with doing too much. As the pg, Cuevas had trouble deciding when to be a playmaker and when to initiate her own offense.. so that often led to erratic play. Harris struggles with the exact opposite. Harris is a very good playmaker.. she knows where to put the ball and how to get it there, but Harris likes to blend in. Harris doesn't do enough on the court. She needs to be more aggressive offensively. When A'ja was out we saw the kind of player she could be offensively and she'll need to be that player more often than not next season.

I think Harris and Cuevas start in the backcourt because their skills complement one another. Cuevas is an exceptional defender and scorer, but she can also be a secondary ball handler. Harris is an exceptional playmaker, primary ball handler and an above average defender.. but she can also score if necessary. Next year, it will be necessary. Cooper will be the 6th woman off the bench and can play either guard spot. Jackson will likely move to the 3-spot... SC historically has lacked there (except last year when we had Davis/Gray) but I think Jackson will be the next good big guard at SC.
Cooper struggled with that same thing. Everytime I'd see her play she’s going 60 miles down the lane through a zone. It was always go go go with her, she didn’t know how to pull the ball out set up the offense or what little offense UT runs. I’m looking forward to see how she looks after sitting out two years. I know some think they’ll be fine without Wilson, but you’re not just trying to replace production, you’re essentially losing the heart of the team. After Wilson went out with her injury the first time it looked like the team struggled finding someone to step up and be a vocal leader on the floor. They were lost. Who takes over as the captain next season?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

I think the reason was that she had help in her freshman season. There were many games where she played 40 minutes and I think she was just exhausted.

Reaction Score
Obviously, I didn't see SC play a lot this season. But in the 2 games vs UConn, I was surprised at how ineffective Harris was. I liked what I saw of Jackson, and I think that Bianca-Cuevas is most effective at the 2-guard where she can flat out score the basketball. But I wonder if Cooper or the incoming freshman pg will push Harris for the starting pg role. Dawn needs a better floor general to run the show, at least as far as the games I saw when the Gamecocks and Huskies were matched up.
Harris was two different players this year. The one who played UConn and the different one who played everyone else

Reaction Score
You did. She set the South Carolina season record for assists and dont forget that she made the all tourney team in the U19 national team this past summer. One in which CD was on the team but dod not make all tourney. South Carolina will not fall back too much next year. Aja was so good that the game plan for years was developed around her but SC started winning SEC titles before she got there on good guard play and agressivd pressure defense. When Aja was out unexpectedly they did not play well which happened both Tennessee s i n regular season, but once they new she was not going to be there and prepped for games without here they won three regular season games and ran through fhe first 2 ranked opponents if the SEC tourney. They will compete at a high level again next year i believe

Reaction Score
You did. She set the South Carolina season record for assists and dont forget that she made the all tourney team in the U19 national team this past summer. One in which CD was on the team but dod not make all tourney. South Carolina will not fall back too much next year. Aja was so good that the game plan for years was developed around her but SC started winning SEC titles before she got there on good guard play and agressivd pressure defense. When Aja was out unexpectedly they did not play well which happened both Tennessee s i n regular season, but once they new she was not going to be there and prepped for games without here they won three regular season games and ran through fhe first 2 ranked opponents if the SEC tourney. They will compete at a high level again next year i believe

I agree! They were awful without A'ja this year when she first got the ankle injury. When she went out with vertigo it was much of the same versus Tennessee. But they completely turned it around in the SEC tourney. 3 ranked opponents in 3 straight day and beat the #2 team in the country with A'ja on the bench gave me confirmation that this team will be fine without her. Now Harris has help in the backcourt she can get more rest and be more aggressive. We lost games this year because she fouled out or was in foul trouble in portions of the game and we didn't have a point guard who could step in and relieve her. Destanni Henderson is the real deal and will have the rest of the country on notice as soon as next year. She's very similar to Chennedy Carter in her attack of the basket and pull up in her midrange game. We'll also have an experienced starting 5 of juniors and seniors so that bodes well in terms of leadership and a lot of players knowing what it takes to compete at a high level.

Reaction Score
Care to provide specifics?
Nope. Just my opinion. Someone posted that no ND freshman this season had a better year than Megan Walker. In my opinion, Mikayla Vaughn in six games made her presence known. She was the first option off the bench (before Kristina Nelson), and only injury cut her season short. Walker (the #1 recruit in the country), didn't have an impact on the team this year. Vaughn outperformed the UCONN freshmen, which is all that I was reacting to. That's all.

Reaction Score
Interesting to say the least. She was highly ranked out of high school and a pretty good 3pt shooter as well.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Campisano from Oregon transferring.

Not even slightly surprised, I was expecting some player movement for them. Campisano and Giomi have been buried on the bench for 2 years and it's not gonna change anytime soon, will actually be worse next year for them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom