Transfer Thread Pt 2..... | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Transfer Thread Pt 2.....

Reaction Score
By? MS Stats loses 4 of their starting 5, and I’m not convinced what’s left will be nearly enough. South Carolina likely won’t be as good either. Missouri has the fewest departures and good pieces remaining, and Tennessee’s youth will be a year older, so I’d think they have the best chances. And if you look around the country, Notre Dame for sure only loses Westbald but brings Turner back. Oregon will be there, UConn still has loads of talent. That’s already 3 likely FF teams again there.

I'm just saying a lot can happen between now and November and some of those players who were role players could turn into superstars. I guess I'm just optimistic then most. But I think my team (SC) has more upside then a lot of people think.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Why would she take a chance on coming to UCONN when she knows that she could be sitting a lot because UCONN's system is so difficult for a first year player regardless of what year she is in school.
Good point but I would hope as a Senior, she would pick it up a bit easier and already be in collegiate shape, physically. But I am leaning with the other posters and thinking that she will stay away from Storrs and stay in the South(east?).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Would she really think she has a better chance at a championship at Tennessee than where she is now? She’s seeing Shepard and probably wants to do what she did, only honestly by being a graduate.

How about this? Howard waits to see if ND wins a championship, and then possibly Shepard springboards that into an early entry into the WNBA draft because she is draft-eligible.... just like Kaela Davis and Allisha Gray did. Then McGraw can just plug in Howard into Shepard’s spot.

I was just thinking of winning programs closer to home for her. Is she transferring to try to win a title? Or is her focus on a grad program/to be closer to home/a different matter? A&M has the talent to be a Final Four threat next year with her Williams and Carter all back. Losing Howard is a big loss for A&M.

I don’t believe Shepard is eligible for the draft after this year. And next year Notre Dame is loaded so she’d have a very hard time breaking into the starting lineup.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is not the men’s team. No graduate transfer if going to be of value because that cannot learn the system quick enough to be of value
Jessica Shepard learned for ND pretty quickly. UCONN is not more complex than ND.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I'm not sure you know me at all or even if that is relevant, I stand by that statement.
If what you say is true then ND has more intelligent freshmen than UCONN because ND's freshmen get a lot more playing time than UCONN's. I am also surprised that you believe that.

Reaction Score
You never know. A few years ago we found out, after the fact, that Geno was interested in Sarah Imovbioh when she was a graduate transfer from Virginia.
Sarah might have been better off going to UConn

Reaction Score
I was just thinking of winning programs closer to home for her. Is she transferring to try to win a title? Or is her focus on a grad program/to be closer to home/a different matter? A&M has the talent to be a Final Four threat next year with her Williams and Carter all back. Losing Howard is a big loss for A&M.

I don’t believe Shepard is eligible for the draft after this year. And next year Notre Dame is loaded so she’d have a very hard time breaking into the starting lineup.

Per her mother she wants to attend a school that has the best chance of winning a national championship. I thought A&M had a good chance next year as well but I guess Anriel saw things differently.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Per her mother she wants to attend a school that has the best chance of winning a national championship. I thought A&M had a good chance next year as well but I guess Anriel saw things differently.

Ah gotcha. Sorry if it was stated earlier...I just didn’t read it! If that’s the case, she’d be smart to try for Louisville or maybe Oregon/Oregon State. She won’t start at ND, UCONN, or Baylor. She ain’t winning a title if she goes to SC or Tennessee IMO.

Reaction Score
Ah gotcha. Sorry if it was stated earlier...I just didn’t read it! If that’s the case, she’d be smart to try for Louisville or maybe Oregon/Oregon State. She won’t start at ND, UCONN, or Baylor. She ain’t winning a title if she goes to SC or Tennessee IMO.

I'm not sold on Louisville and I guess that's just me. The Hines-Allen loss will be bigger then most think. UCONN may take her but never know what Geno or CD thinks. ND is currently on a high and bring in four recruits plus 2 off of redshirts so I doubt it will be them. Baylor is loaded at 4 or 5 and Oregon and Oregon St doesn't have room. Likely options are Louisville, Tennessee, SC and maybe MSU. Anything is possible in terms of winning a title. Did you expect ND to win this year with just 6 players? Howard was good at A&M but imagine when she gets on a team that really competes... her ceiling would be very high!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If what you say is true then ND has more intelligent freshmen than UCONN because ND's freshmen get a lot more playing time than UCONN's. I am also surprised that you believe that.
What are you talking about?
Name the ND freshmen that has played more than UCONN freshmen?

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What are you talking about?
Name the UCONN freshmen that has played more than UCONN freshmen?
Arike, Mabry, and Young just for three. I believe you meant ND.

Reaction Score
Who are SC starting five next year? I expect Dawn to hit the transfer market heavy next soon. Wouldn't be surprised either if some Texas players are linked to SC.

Reaction Score
I'm not sold on Louisville and I guess that's just me. The Hines-Allen loss will be bigger then most think. UCONN may take her but never know what Geno or CD thinks. ND is currently on a high and bring in four recruits plus 2 off of redshirts so I doubt it will be them. Baylor is loaded at 4 or 5 and Oregon and Oregon St doesn't have room. Likely options are Louisville, Tennessee, SC and maybe MSU. Anything is possible in terms of winning a title. Did you expect ND to win this year with just 6 players? Howard was good at A&M but imagine when she gets on a team that really competes... her ceiling would be very high!
Hines-Allen plays off balance more than necessary (hinder her chances in WNBA) and is turnover prone. I agree though, she will be a big loss. Shook and Dunham still seem a year away but I thought Fuehring would be too and she came through. Not expecting anything from Kakala next year.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Arike & Mabrey were same class as KLS and Napheesa. Both KLS and Napheesa started games as freshmen for UCONN's championship team and were named AA as sophmores. Jackie Young is the same class as Crystal and it is debatable that Young had a better Freshmen season that Crystal. No ND freshmen this season had a better year than Megan Walker.
You would have to back 4 year 2014 to find ND freshmen that out performed UCONN freshmen.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As a matter of fact, Notre Dame HAS a freshman this year who is perfectly healthy and did not see a minute of play in this Final Four. Her name is Danielle Patterson, a 6-2 forward from Long Island who was a McDonalds All-American last year as a senior in high school. Have you ever heard of her? Have you ever asked why she never got into either of these games? (Checking the box scores, she played 9 minutes against Villanova and 8 minutes against TA&M. Didn’t do much, apparently. My guess is that those minutes were in garbage time.)

If Notre Dame had lost either of the last two games (which could easily have happened), do you think the Muffet would deserve to be criticized for not developing her freshman forward so that she could give a few minutes of bench time when (as in tonight’s game) two of Notre Dame’s forwards played most of the second half with four fouls?

I really don’t see the difference between her situation and Megan Walker’s, except that Megan was more highly ranked coming out of high school. Both teams had a desperate need for effective bench players, but neither of these players fit that description.

You mention three players who are NOT freshman for Notre Dame this year. Arike and Mabrey were in the KLS/Collier class, and Young was in the Dangerfield class. I think if you checked their freshman minutes and productivity against their same-class counterparts at UConn, they would be quite similar.

I repeat again a point that you and many other posters don’t seem to get: Geno has no generic aversion to playing freshmen. In recent years, he has given substantial non-garbage minutes to Crystal, KLS, and Pheesa as freshmen, and certainly to Kia Nurse in her freshman year. I’m sure he really hoped to get something similar from this year’s freshman class, but he just didn’t. I think he hopes and expects, as we do, that next year’s freshmen will be a different and more typical story.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Howard transfer shocks the hell outta me
A poster (@SCspur ??) once peep me to the fact that Howard is quite the accomplished track & field athlete. Track and Field and basketball is a hard, perhaps impossible double to undertake at the collegiate level. Maybe she is transferring to concentrate on track.

Reaction Score
As a matter of fact, Notre Dame HAS a freshman this year who is perfectly healthy and did not see a minute of play in this Final Four. Her name is Danielle Patterson, a 6-2 forward from Long Island who was a McDonalds All-American last year as a senior in high school. Have you ever heard of her? Have you ever asked why she never got into either of these games? (Checking the box scores, she played 9 minutes against Villanova and 8 minutes against TA&M. Didn’t do much, apparently. My guess is that those minutes were in garbage time.)

If Notre Dame had lost either of the last two games (which could easily have happened), do you think the Muffet would deserve to be criticized for not developing her freshman forward so that she could give a few minutes of bench time when (as in tonight’s game) two of Notre Dame’s forwards played most of the second half with four fouls?

I really don’t see the difference between her situation and Megan Walker’s, except that Megan was more highly ranked coming out of high school. Both teams had a desperate need for effective bench players, but neither of these players fit that description.

You mention three players who are NOT freshman for Notre Dame this year. Arike and Mabrey were in the KLS/Collier class, and Young was in the Dangerfield class. I think if you checked their freshman minutes and productivity against their same-class counterparts at UConn, they would be quite similar.

I repeat again a point that you and many other posters don’t seem to get: Geno has no generic aversion to playing freshmen. In recent years, he has given substantial non-garbage minutes to Crystal, KLS, and Pheesa as freshmen, and certainly to Kia Nurse in her freshman year. I’m sure he really hoped to get something similar from this year’s freshman class, but he just didn’t. I think he hopes and expects, as we do, that next year’s freshmen will be a different and more typical story.
Uh, when you’re #1 out of high school that’s a HUGE difference from Patterson #30 something. Different stratosphere’s for expectations even the first year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Uh, Walker was #1 and Patterson #30 something. Different stratosphere’s for expectations.
Megan walker had two All American playing in front of her. Patterson's path to playing time has been cleared unfortunately by injuries. Not much different from an "opportunity" to play stand point.

Reaction Score
A poster (@SCspur ??) once peep me to the fact that Howard is quite the accomplished track & field athlete. Track and Field and basketball is a hard, perhaps impossible double to undertake at the collegiate level. Maybe she is transferring to concentrate on track.

That is correct! She was a two sport Athlete but she retired from Track & Field after her frost season to focus solely on basketball. So I doubt she would be competing in both at her new school.

Reaction Score
Hines-Allen plays off balance more than necessary (hinder her chances in WNBA) and is turnover prone. I agree though, she will be a big loss. Shook and Dunham still seem a year away but I thought Fuehring would be too and she came through. Not expecting anything from Kakala next year.

I like Fuehring. She works very hard and has that jersey toughness! Shook has tremendous upside but instead of trying to develop an inside out attack, she'd rather float on the perimeter. I think Kakala has more upside then both actually she just isn't in shape to perform at a high level. Dunham is very athletic but doesn't have much of a skill set. She's constantly improving though. Overall I think shook will emerge as the starter for Hines-Allen and will be a pleasant surprise.

Reaction Score
Who are SC starting five next year? I expect Dawn to hit the transfer market heavy next soon. Wouldn't be surprised either if some Texas players are linked to SC.

Harris, Jackson, Cliney, Herbert Harrigan and Jennings would be my guess. Cuevas-Moore, Cooper, Henderson, Grissett, and Williams off the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom