Transfer Thread Pt 2..... | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Transfer Thread Pt 2.....

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
How does one run track and play wbb at the same time? Those schedules overlap pretty heavily.

I guess she didn’t do it long.

Oregon State's Mikayla Pivec participated in track and field after the basketball season ended during her Fr. season. Even only doing it part time I think she already has one of the top 5 javelin tosses in OSU history.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Some are coming back.

Off topic, but how are Duke fans feeling about losing Capel? He's been credited as being a great recruiter while on the Duke staff.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Off topic, but how are Duke fans feeling about losing Capel? He's been credited as being a great recruiter while on the Duke staff.

Well Im glad he is getting another chance to coach... this time back on the east coast. He's a very personable guy....and of course that helps in recruiting.......... but Duke brought back Chris Carrawell.... who is extremely personable....and should do very well in recruiting as well. Duke Nation loovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvves Carrawell......so good to have him back in Durham.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
FWIW I'm very good friends with Anriel's parents, (Richard & Chè Howard) and they both confirmed that if A&M wasn't the only school that allowed 2 sport athletics, her choice would have been SC.

The article kind of hints at this too.

If Howard were to join SC... she'd be another among a list of players that SC missed on the first time that we ended up with anyway.. with Kaela Davis, Allisha Gray and Te'a Cooper being the others.

Reaction Score
The article kind of hints at this too.

If Howard were to join SC... she'd be another among a list of players that SC missed on the first time that we ended up with anyway.. with Kaela Davis, Allisha Gray and Te'a Cooper being the others.

Imagine if they all chose SC in the first place! One could only think what type of team that could have been along with Coates and Wilson. I think Dawn has a lot of sway this time around. We'll see in the coming months.

Reaction Score
How does one run track and play wbb at the same time? Those schedules overlap pretty heavily.

Nope. The idea sounded great but I think Anriel realized that she wanted a future on the hardwood instead of the track.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Imagine if they all chose SC in the first place! One could only think what type of team that could have been along with Coates and Wilson. I think Dawn has a lot of sway this time around. We'll see in the coming months.

I still remember the day Te’a Cooper decided to go to Tennessee. I watched the live stream and I remember thinking “Wow, terrible decision..”

Not because I didn’t think she could be good there. I just thought she could be better at SC and I thought she was making that decision for choices beyond her own good. We’ve missed on a lot of players since.. but the only player that made me feel like that recently was NaLyssa Smith. When she picked Baylor I felt the exact same way I felt after Cooper picked Tennessee.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I still remember the day Te’a Cooper decided to go to Tennessee. I watched the live stream and I remember thinking “Wow, terrible decision..”

Not because I didn’t think she could be good there. I just thought she could be better at SC and I thought she was making that decision for choices beyond her own good. We’ve missed on a lot of players since.. but the only player that made me feel like that recently was NaLyssa Smith. When she picked Baylor I felt the exact same way I felt after Cooper picked Tennessee.

All of those players going to Baylor was a real head scratcher for me....I just don't get how they expect to keep all of those players happy. SC would've been the right choice for Smith IMO. And as far as players picking Tennessee...honestly, I can't understand why any top recruit would choose to get coached by Holly when they see how little she's accomplished there.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score

Mikayla Pivec of Oregon State plays basketball and is on the track team (javelin).

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
All of those players going to Baylor was a real head scratcher for me....I just don't get how they expect to keep all of those players happy. SC would've been the right choice for Smith IMO. And as far as players picking Tennessee...honestly, I can't understand why any top recruit would choose to get coached by Holly when they see how little she's accomplished there.

Two consecutive top ranked or so classes for Tennessee. Is this an Elite Eight or bust year for Holly?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

Nalyssa seemed very enamored with Dawn and South Carolina. I remember her taking an official visit days after SC won the national title. Seemed to post a lot of pro SC stuff. Figured she would commit there. But, some say it was Louisville who actually finished second for Smith. Surprised Dawn didn't capitalize more on the championship with recruits further away from the southeast.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
All of those players going to Baylor was a real head scratcher for me....I just don't get how they expect to keep all of those players happy. SC would've been the right choice for Smith IMO.
I don't think it's an issue.

Khalani will be a senior, and the starting Center. Backups would be Queen Egbo and Nalyssa Smith.

Lauren will be a junior, and the starting PF. Backups would be Nalyssa Smith and Aquira Decosta.

Cohen is gone at SF. Most think that Aquira Decosta will be the starter.

Once Kalani moves on, either Lauren becomes the Center or Queen Egbo slides in as the starter.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's an issue.

Khalani will be a senior, and the starting Center. Backups would be Queen Egbo and Nalyssa Smith.

Lauren will be a junior, and the starting PF. Backups would be Nalyssa Smith and Aquira Decosta.

Cohen is gone at SF. Most think that Aquira Decosta will be the starter.

Once Kalani moves on, either Lauren becomes the Center or Queen Egbo slides in as the starter.

She'll have a good rotation that's for sure. Watching the McDAA I think they'll fit in nicely together. In the long haul though I think Smith will get the short end of the stick. She likes to roam on the perimeter and so does DeCosta. I can see Egbo getting the most minutes with Brown and Cox and DeCosta switching back and fourth from the 3 to the 4 but will smith be able to get anything more than garbage minutes? It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Reaction Score
FWIW I'm very good friends with Anriel's parents, (Richard & Chè Howard) and they both confirmed that if A&M wasn't the only school that allowed 2 sport athletics, her choice would have been SC.
Did Dawn make an offer to Anriel out of HS? I couldn't find anything about other schools in her hoopgurlz page and there's nothing about her from the right time period in the cockytalk basketball recruiting subforum. I don't have a paid subscription to ProspectsNation; maybe there is info there. IIRC, commentators have said in game coverage that she didn't get offered by Georgia or Georgia Tech.

Anriel was very raw as a freshman and wasn't a top 100 recruit. As I said in another post, the comparisons to Gabby don't take that into account. It's also hard for me to think she would have gotten the PT at USC that she got at A&M, given the players you guys had during her freshman and soph years. This leads to thought experiments about what her development as a player would be if she had not come to A&M, where she was able to start 17 games as a freshman and every game as a soph.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Mikayla Pivec of Oregon State plays basketball and is on the track team (javelin).

Arike Ogunbowale was a pretty accomplished soccer player in her youth, winning four Wisconsin State Cup championships during her club soccer days. On ND digital broadcasts that show pre-game and halftime shoot arounds, you can see her harness stray basketballs with her feet and do some funky move.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Did Dawn make an offe to Anriel out of HS? I couldn't find anything about other schools in her hoopgurlz page and there's nothing about her from the right time period in the cockytalk basketball recruiting subforum. I don't have a paid subscription to ProspectsNation; maybe there is info there. IIRC, commentators have said in game coverage that she didn't get offered by Georgia or
Georgia Tech.

Anriel was very raw as a freshman and wasn't a top 100 recruit. As I said in another post, the comparisons to Gabby don't take that into account. It's also hard for me to think she would have gotten the PT at USC that she got at A&M, given the players you guys had during her freshman and soph years. This leads to thought experiments about what her development as a player would be if she had not come to A&M, where she was able to start 17 games as a freshman and every game as a soph.

According to this article in the State:
"USC was one of the finalists in Howard's recruitment in high school, but Che Howard (her mother) said she picked A&M in 2014 in part because she wanted to compete collegiately in both basketball and track and field, where she was an accomplished long and triple jumper.

"Looking back, we just thought that it was better for Anriel to go to Texas A&M because she still wanted to run track and (South Carolina coach Dawn Staley) didn't want her to run track, she just wanted her to focus only on basketball."

Whole article:
Elite SEC player has South Carolina among finalists for potential transfer

Reaction Score
Did Dawn make an offer to Anriel out of HS? I couldn't find anything about other schools in her hoopgurlz page and there's nothing about her from the right time period in the cockytalk basketball recruiting subforum. I don't have a paid subscription to ProspectsNation; maybe there is info there. IIRC, commentators have said in game coverage that she didn't get offered by Georgia or Georgia Tech.

Adding to Dillon77’s post, Anriel chose A&M over USC, UK, Arkansas, and Wake Forest.
An elite rebounder could transfer from Texas A&M — and she has history with USC

Anriel being from Georgia and recruited by USC out of high school are factors that mirror Allisha Gray, Kaela Davis, Alexis Jennings, and Te’a Cooper’s situations.

Reaction Score
Just saw a tweet from NEB mediathat Rellah Boothe transferred to Northwest Florida State Community College

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom