Transfer Portal | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I see Karaban being like Hawkins at Creighton
If he is that good out of the gate sign me up as that is exactly what this team needs. A big man who can hit an outside shot and versatile enough to drive to the hoop to keep his man honest while also rebounding and playing decent d.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Since I’ve seen some say they don’t like the portal.

The question is also are you better off raiding recruits from teams of fired coaches and maybe taking your lumps like 06/07 or swinging around in the portal to fill needs.

It’s a really interesting one since there is a lot of PT open on this team right now (assuming rj doesn’t come back)

Reaction Score
Since I’ve seen some say they don’t like the portal.

The question is also are you better off raiding recruits from teams of fired coaches and maybe taking your lumps like 06/07 or swinging around in the portal to fill needs.

It’s a really interesting one since there is a lot of PT open on this team right now (assuming rj doesn’t come back)
We can't waste a year. It's probably our last with Sanogo, and if we think Jackson and Hawkins are going to continue to improve along with him (duh), it's a very good trio to waste.

If you can raid a Top 25 recruit or get a high level reclass, you can (potentially) skip the portal.

But as the team is constructed, they need another high level ball handler/distributor, even if you have faith that Jackson can be a primary handler and aren't giving up on Diggins (count me in both camps).

Reaction Score
If he is that good out of the gate sign me up as that is exactly what this team needs. A big man who can hit an outside shot and versatile enough to drive to the hoop to keep his man honest while also rebounding and playing decent d.
He's not going to be that good out of the gate. Hawkins is 24 or so. Karaban is 18 or whatever.

Reaction Score
We can't waste a year. It's probably our last with Sanogo, and if we think Jackson and Hawkins are going to continue to improve along with him (duh), it's a very good trio to waste.

If you can raid a Top 25 recruit or get a high level reclass, you can (potentially) skip the portal.

But as the team is constructed, they need another high level ball handler/distributor, even if you have faith that Jackson can be a primary handler and aren't giving up on Diggins (count me in both camps).
Doubt next year is our last year with Sanogo unless he develops a 3 point shot and adds a dribble drive aspect to his game in 6 months. His skill set (at his size) is not built for todays NBA. I'm pretty confident he will be a 4 year guy for us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We need a point guard who will not back down from anybody and play with enthusiasm and if it means over recruiting who we have now so be it. That being said I wonder if Diggins can be that guy? We have seen Gaffney and I think he is better suited to be a combo guard but us fans really know nothing about Diggins. Also, I am looking forward to what Samson Johnson can bring. And we talk about guys transferring in but will any players transfer out? I have my thoughts on this and can see more than one.

Reaction Score
He's not going to be that good out of the gate. Hawkins is 24 or so. Karaban is 18 or whatever.
I believe Karaban is only 6 or 7 months younger than Hawkins.

Reaction Score
Teams with most players in portal:

• Alabama State
  • Hartford
  • Green Bay
  • La Salle
  • George Mason
  • IUPUI
  • Prairie View A&M
  • South Dakota
  • Southern Miss
  • UTRGV
  • Western Carolina
  • Ball State
  • Idaho
  • Indiana State
  • Loyola Marymount
  • New Hampshire
  • Radford
  • Rhode Island
  • North Dakota State
  • Tarleton State
  • The Citadel
Lots of teams with five players, arguably the most decimated is Wofford. Four of their starters transferred, including their entire starting backcourt of Ryan Larson (8.8p, 3.6a, 38.6 3p%) and Max Klesmit (14.9p, 1.6s). Gotta imagine at least one of those guys will transfer to Virginia Tech (three of their five starters this year are former Wofford commits/players).

Reaction Score
He meant Ryan Hawkins.

@huskyfan224 mentioned Karaban's ceiling is like Creighton's Ryan Hawkins. I don't know much about Karaban, but I would LOVE a Ryan Hawkins on UConn...any team would: A 4 who has literally no weaknesses in his game.
Oh that makes sense. Thanks I guess I should have read the whole thread

Reaction Score
Surprised nobody has mentioned Joe Bamisile from George Washington, he's been in the portal for over a week. He breaks his man down off the dribble and scores in the lane, he seems to be exactly what this team is missing...

Joseph Bamisile College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
Guys like this have to sit a year still, right? The new rules with transfers are confusing and there seem to be exceptions made all the time, but my understanding is everone gets a one-time waiver to play right away after transferring. It appears Bamisile used this one-time waiver last year. I could easily be mistaken on this though, anyone who knows better should feel free to chime in.

Reaction Score
I saw Desmond Cambridge Jr. quite a bit this year and think he would be a great add. Made 87 three's this year @ 37%. Plus can board. Brown to Nevada.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been brought up before - Mora talked about how taking in transfers can be more of a gamble since you don’t have the time to build a relationship like you do with a high school recruit. In the past, Hurley talked about how taking in RJ and Tyrese was “different” since there was an existing relationship with those players.

Hurley also talks about culture fit and character fit within the program…I believe a veteran PG or Wing would help next years team a lot, but if Hurley was to take in a transfer I’d bet it’s someone he recruited out of high school. Focusing on transfers just because they have good stats might be a waste of everyones time tbh.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I’m just saying if you can land a dude like the Xavier pg recruit, do you still go to the portal?

Reaction Score
Doubt next year is our last year with Sanogo unless he develops a 3 point shot and adds a dribble drive aspect to his game in 6 months. His skill set (at his size) is not built for todays NBA. I'm pretty confident he will be a 4 year guy for us.
He isn't yet an NBA player. I watch the NBA. I know.

He also may not want to use all four years, especially since I don't know if he'll ever be able to add the lateral quickness needed to make the NBA.

Reaction Score
We need a point guard who will not back down from anybody and play with enthusiasm and if it means over recruiting who we have now so be it. That being said I wonder if Diggins can be that guy? We have seen Gaffney and I think he is better suited to be a combo guard but us fans really know nothing about Diggins. Also, I am looking forward to what Samson Johnson can bring. And we talk about guys transferring in but will any players transfer out? I have my thoughts on this and can see more than one.
Two things:

1) We don't "need" another point guard, but we need a player who can create his own offense. That player could be a point guard. However, with Diggins and Jackson as distributors, that scorer can play anywhere between 1-4, as long as he can create his own offense.

2) I don't like the idea of projecting who might or might not transfer. Talking about the player and wishing well of the player once he transfers? That's different.

Reaction Score
Another guard of interest?

Bellarmine's Dylan Penn. The 6'3 190 point guard averaged 16.6p, 4.2r, 5a, 2.9 TO, 1.1s, 53.5 2p%, 24.2 3p%, only 14% shots from three.

From Three Man Weave:

Davenport returns 11 of his top 12 scorers for an encore performance, with athletic point guard Dylan Penn and inside-out forward Ethan Claycomb leading the way. Penn is an incisive cutter and passer, embodying the skills needed to play in Davenport’s offense, and in the rare cases where necessary, their best off-the-bounce creator. The attack runs well when the ball is in his hands, partially because he’s one of the few non-shooters that plays.
Good size and athleticism, but does that lack of perimeter game scare you? If we had more shooters, I'd be excited to pursue him.

From 247:

So far Penn has heard from LSU, Ole Miss, Wichita State, Charleston, Memphis, Purdue, Loyola Chicago, Valpo, Evansville, Cal State Fullerton, WKI, Oregon St, UC riverside, Temple, Southern Illinois, App State, and Georgia Tech.

Reaction Score
Two things:

1) We don't "need" another point guard, but we need a player who can create his own offense. That player could be a point guard. However, with Diggins and Jackson as distributors, that scorer can play anywhere between 1-4, as long as he can create his own offense.

2) I don't like the idea of projecting who might or might not transfer. Talking about the player and wishing well of the player once he transfers? That's different.
I believe what we need most is a Khalid or Shabazz type player who won't back down from being a leader. Both with his teamates and the opposition. And as for projecting who may transfer, I agree that we should not name names. I just have some thoughts on who might be. Not that I have any knowledge of anyone.

Reaction Score
Want a scorer? Nevada's Desmond Cambridge is in the portal.

6'4 180. 16.2p, 5.1r, 1.8a, 1.7s, 1.1b. 52.3 2p%, 37 3p% (about 60% shots from three). 1849 career points between two seasons in Brown and two in Nevada.
His brother Devan is in the portal transferring from Auburn and they plan on playing together

Reaction Score
We need to do what Auburn did last offseason. They got KD Johnson and Wendell Green from the portal. We need to do the exact same
just want to point out that auburn arguably had a WORSE postseason than uconn did -- they beat a 15 and got blown out by a 10 despite having legitimate final four expectations -- and it was virtually all on the fact that they took two ball-dominant guards who didn't really fit in with their team. kd johnson was incredible against uconn, but he had a really inefficient season. green was a better passer, but was even less efficient shooting the ball.

the grass isn't always greener with this stuff. i trust hurley and his staff to make the right call for the team.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been brought up before - Mora talked about how taking in transfers can be more of a gamble since you don’t have the time to build a relationship like you do with a high school recruit. In the past, Hurley talked about how taking in RJ and Tyrese was “different” since there was an existing relationship with those players.

Hurley also talks about culture fit and character fit within the program…I believe a veteran PG or Wing would help next years team a lot, but if Hurley was to take in a transfer I’d bet it’s someone he recruited out of high school. Focusing on transfers just because they have good stats might be a waste of everyones time tbh.
In an ideal world I don’t think Hurley would want to take a transfer, but in the real world he needs one. I think he’s smart enough to know this.
The previous relationship part is probably true. There will be familiarity with whoever transfers in from some form of previous relationship with Hurley or some member of the staff IMO.

Reaction Score
I think this is right. There's a world where I think you can roll with Jackson at the 1, but Hawkins can't be that 2. And there's a world where Jackson plays the 2/3, but then you need a 1 who can shoot and create off the bounce.

Essentially, unless Hawkins really ups his handle, since you're going to be playing Jackson a lot of minutes, you need one other dude, regardless of position, to be able to generate buckets in addition to being able to shoot.

Reaction Score
Is his brother any good?
Can't say I've noticed him any time I've watched Auburn but he started 19 games. The stats look like a worse Tyrese Martin, big guard who can't shoot at all. 28% from 3 for his career and that's declined every year, 56% FT shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom