Transfer Portal | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
FWIW..Delaire was being looked at by UConn prior to his Stanford decision. Don't know if its still a fit but probably depends on what the roster looks like in 30-45 days.

From a Dave Borges article yesterday:

-> Shortly after Dan Hurley took over the UConn men’s basketball head coaching reins in March, 2018, one of the first recruits the staff went after was Jaiden Delaire. And why not? The 6-foot-9 forward, a North Granby product and Loomis Chaffee graduate, was right in the Huskies’ backyard. Delaire wound up going out west to Stanford, but it had nothing to do with not liking the UConn program. Rather, it was the Huskies’ league at the time. “I told them, if they weren’t in the American Conference, Jaiden would have come to your school,” Delaire’s father, Bentley, told Hearst Connecticut Media on Tuesday.

After four years at Stanford, Delaire is now moving on from that program. He is hoping to test the NBA draft waters and get invited to the league’s combine this summer, but also has entered the NCAA transfer portal with the idea of playing at a different program next season.

According to his father, Delaire has heard from Virginia Tech (“almost every day”), Iowa and USC, among others. He has not yet heard from UConn, but he certainly has interest in the program — which, of course, now plays in the Big East.

One thing is certain: Delaire is not returning to Stanford. “He wants to try to go to a school where they can invest in his skillset, as opposed to trying to make him something he isn’t, like a big man,” his father said. <-

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

-> Shortly after Dan Hurley took over the UConn men’s basketball head coaching reins in March, 2018, one of the first recruits the staff went after was Jaiden Delaire. And why not? The 6-foot-9 forward, a North Granby product and Loomis Chaffee graduate, was right in the Huskies’ backyard. Delaire wound up going out west to Stanford, but it had nothing to do with not liking the UConn program. Rather, it was the Huskies’ league at the time. “I told them, if they weren’t in the American Conference, Jaiden would have come to your school,” Delaire’s father, Bentley, told Hearst Connecticut Media on Tuesday.

After four years at Stanford, Delaire is now moving on from that program. He is hoping to test the NBA draft waters and get invited to the league’s combine this summer, but also has entered the NCAA transfer portal with the idea of playing at a different program next season.

According to his father, Delaire has heard from Virginia Tech (“almost every day”), Iowa and USC, among others. He has not yet heard from UConn, but he certainly has interest in the program — which, of course, now plays in the Big East.

One thing is certain: Delaire is not returning to Stanford. “He wants to try to go to a school where they can invest in his skillset, as opposed to trying to make him something he isn’t, like a big man,” his father said. <-
Someone should probably let pops know his son isn’t good enough to have any say in what his role will be if he joins an established good team. I’d love to have him, but that quote makes me uncomfortable.

Reaction Score

Seems like a lot of double talk from his father. One the one hand he wants to try the NBA this summer, but on the other hand he wants to go to a school that is a fit. So if he commits to a school now, he can then change his mind in June and go to the NBA and if that doesn't work out go back to the new school? The school then loses out on someone who would really want to be there to take this guy? I don't understand.

Reaction Score
A father who thinks his forward son should be playing guard…. we’ve seen this one before.

Reaction Score
I'm just hoping we start seeing some connections to guys soon. Lots of good players but don't want to get my hopes up for guys we haven't even reached out to
Man I’m getting a little nervous seems like they are just “monitoring”, show these kids some d@mn love man. I’m sick of trying to win games 59-57. Get some shooters and creators!

Hopefully, they know something that isn’t public At this point.

Reaction Score
Man I’m getting a little nervous seems like they are just “monitoring”, show these kids some d@mn love man. I’m sick of trying to win games 59-57. Get some shooters and creators!

Hopefully, they know something that isn’t public At this point.
It's more impatience than nervousness for me, I just need some excitement. With 2 open scholarships it's just a matter of when for me, they're going to fill them.

Hasn't been anyone who's hit the portal yet I'd be disappointed if we didn't reach out to. Once that happens it may shift into nervous mode

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I tend to think Hurley didn’t take in a guard from the portal last off-season because he expected more from Gaffney this season. We saw how that turned out.

I don’t anticipate Hurley getting burned twice on that.
We shouldn’t have redshirted CFJ. He had the most college ready body and toughness of anyone Hurley has recruited and we were clearly a guard and a shooter short all year. CFJ was ready.

Reaction Score
It's more impatience than nervousness for me, I just need some excitement. With 2 open scholarships it's just a matter of when for me, they're going to fill them.

Hasn't been anyone who's hit the portal yet I'd be disappointed if we didn't reach out to. Once that happens it may shift into nervous mode
I hear you, i havent seen a name either that I’m dying for.

I’m just so salty we didn’t take a guard (esp a quick creator that could shoot some) last year and said it repeatedly at the time. We’re UConn, we should have multiple stud guards - not just one playable guard! Need great guard play to win in March, not just passable guard play like some are advocating for On here.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
He was 17 for most of the season. It's tough. Think of it this way, we probably have 4 more years of him from 18-22 instead of 17-21.
He was an extraordinarily mature 17 year old. We were obviously a guard short. I don’t agree with shelving someone who can help you right now. Who knows what our team will look like in 4 years.

Reaction Score
He was an extraordinarily mature 17 year old. We were obviously a guard short. I don’t agree with shelving someone who can help you right now. Who knows what our team will look like in 4 years.
If he can dribble, he should have played. We were lacking ball handlers all year and it cost us

Reaction Score
He was 17 for most of the season. It's tough. Think of it this way, we probably have 4 more years of him from 18-22 instead of 17-21.
It's a fair gripe. Hurley is trying to follow Jay Wright's system of bringing kids in early to have a year adjusting before he plays them but once he saw Diggins wasn't physically ready and Gaffney had regressed this team desperately needed another guard. Floyd was certainly physically ready. We ended up a couple of guard short.

Reaction Score
It's a fair gripe. Hurley is trying to follow Jay Wright's system of bringing kids in early to have a year adjusting before he plays them but once he saw Diggins wasn't physically ready and Gaffney had regressed this team desperately needed another guard. Floyd was certainly physically ready. We ended up a couple of guard short.
Floyd is much more a 3 than he is a 1 though, right? I don’t think he would’ve helped the backup PG issue - not his fault, but that’s just not his game. I see him next year in Hawk’s role this year - although his game seems closer to Martin’s than Hawkins. I see that as a good thing in terms of balancing out the starting lineup a bit.

Reaction Score
Floyd is much more a 3 than he is a 1 though, right? I don’t think he would’ve helped the backup PG issue - not his fault, but that’s just not his game. I see him next year in Hawk’s role this year - although his game seems closer to Martin’s than Hawkins. I see that as a good thing in terms of balancing out the starting lineup a bit.
Power guard, drives and threes. Not a point guard.

Reaction Score

1. Fardaws Aimaq - C - Utah Valley
2. Jaylon Tyson - SF - Texas (Texas Tech Commit)
3. Jaiden Delaire - PF - Stanford
4. Jaelin LLewellyn - G- Princeton
5. Jalen Bridges - SF - WVU
6. Joe Bamisile - SG - GW
7. Jaylan Gainey - PF - Brown
8. Sam Griesel - G - NDSU (Nebraska Commit)
9. Camren Wynter - CG - Drexel
10. Cam Hayes - PG - NC State

Plenty More to come

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

1. Fardaws Aimaq - C - Utah Valley
2. Jaylon Tyson - SF - Texas (Texas Tech Commit)
3. Jaiden Delaire - PF - Stanford
4. Jaelin LLewellyn - G- Princeton
5. Jalen Bridges - SF - WVU
6. Joe Bamisile - SG - GW
7. Jaylan Gainey - PF - Brown
8. Sam Griesel - G - NDSU (Nebraska Commit)
9. Camren Wynter - CG - Drexel
10. Cam Hayes - PG - NC State

Plenty More to come
20 years ago you'd have been unlikely to ever encounter a Jalen. Now there's so many you wouldn't know how to spell it.

Reaction Score
We shouldn’t have redshirted CFJ. He had the most college ready body and toughness of anyone Hurley has recruited and we were clearly a guard and a shooter short all year. CFJ was ready.
It must be great to know things with that level of certainty before they are proven or even demonstrated. I wish I could do that. It would help greatly professionally.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
He's a UConn alum and fan, and he's loaded. I'm sure he's considered a booster.
You don't even need to be an alumnus to be classified as a booster. It's based on exceeding a level of contributions to the athletic department (not sure if where the exact number sits but its surprisingly small and can include non-monetary contributions) where the NCAA draws a line.

I imagine he exceeded it by a massive amount every year for a number of years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom