Transfer Portal | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sam Sessoms from Penn State. 1 year left. Started his career at SUNY Binghamton, went 19/5/5 as a soph before transferring.

8 ppg off the bench last year, started 10/31 games this year and averaged 11.6 ppg and 42% from 3. Scored 18 vs Ohio State in their B10 Tourney win. Not the sexiest option, but could be a good one year option to help stabilize things. He's a Philly kid too so when one leaves...
Big fan of Sessoms as a second portal PG. Watched a lot of his games at my alma mater, Binghamton. The kid can create, finish, has a tight handle, great speed and change of pace.

Reaction Score
That's a Jackson problem, and nothing else. He is not a pure PG, therefore he must be able to shoot. His offseason literally should be taking 1,000 jump shots per day.
But until he proves that he can score without being wide open and completely set, you can’t bring in another guard who is the exact same way lol. Priority #1 guard needs to able to shoot off the dribble and shoot the 3 at a high percentage, with volume. Anyone who cannot shoot from 3 needs to be immediately crossed off the list. This isn’t the 1980s anymore

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Tristen Newton is a 6'5 200 guard who averaged 17.7p, 4.8r, 5a, 3.5 to, 1.4s, 49.9 2p%, 33.3 3p% (about 1/3 shots from deep).

What stands out the most is his 87.9 ft% at 5.8 attempts/game, a rate that is 44th in the nation. Without watching any of the games, it shows me a guy who creates his own offense and attacks the rim, a trait we definitely need from a player.

Newton played most of his minutes at the 2, but also played some 3 and was ECU's PG when Robinson-White wasn't in the game:

View attachment 74973

I'd like his 3p% to be better, but he's a very versatile player and another larger distributor to pair with Jackson to allow for some smooth offensive sets.
The fact that his FT% is so high on a large sample size indicates that he’s probably a better 3pt shooter than his numbers indicate.

Reaction Score
So hard to judge shooting percentages sometimes. Bad teams that run bad offenses tend to take bad shots which leads to poor shooting percentage. Doesn't mean the guy can't shoot, it speaks to the fact his team sucked. Bouknight shot less than 30% from 3 his soph year not because he's a bad shooter but because he was often stuck jacking up a 3 at the end of a shot clock when no one else around him could create offense. I expect a guy like this to get much better and more open shots on a roster with Hawkins, Jackson and Sanogo.
He also only took 48 attempts from 3 this year which isn't a lot (less than Andre actually). If we're just going to look blindly at numbers and write a guy off because of 3pt % then are we also ready to say that Dre will be an above average 3pt shooter next year since he shot 36.1% last year on more attempts than Davis?
Which is why NBA scouts and executives evaluate 3pt% by including FT% as almost even more important than college 3pt% (especially for 1 or 2 year guys).

Davis' FT% - 65%.

If you shoot poorly from 3 and you shoot poorly from FT...

However, as people mentioned, his JUCO stats are quite a bit better. In 2 years he shot 39% from 3 (36 then 42%) and more importantly (since JUCO 3pt defense is suspect) he shot around 73% from FT line both years. If we were to pursue him, Hurley would have to really dig into his jump shoot mechanics/shot selection to see if the issue this year was fixable vs. what he did in JUCO.

The other issue with Davis is only 1 year left. I don't think he gets the COVID year in NCAA when he was JUCO during '21 (although I could be wrong, let me know if someone knows this definitively). Ideally we have someone for 2 years. Need someone to be the starter while Castle is getting his feet wet in '23.

Reaction Score
The other issue with Davis is only 1 year left. I don't think he gets the COVID year in NCAA when he was JUCO during '21 (although I could be wrong, let me know if someone knows this definitively). Ideally we have someone for 2 years. Need someone to be the starter while Castle is getting his feet wet in '23.

Answering my own question, but this actually says NJCAA get another year as well, so maybe Davis does have 2 years in NCAA remaining.

Reaction Score
So far we're recruiting a bunch of 6'2-6'6 guards. A couple are lead guards (Newton, Davis) and a couple are more the microwave scorer types (Shannon, Reeves). Competition is going to be fierce for all of them.

Personally, Tristen Newton is definitely #1 on my list. Lead guard, great size, can still shoot it decently. Aligns well with Castle's recruitment if we think he'll be a day 1 contributor as well. He's already left Texas for school once, so hopefully he isn't a homebody.

Reaction Score
Big fan of Sessoms as a second portal PG. Watched a lot of his games at my alma mater, Binghamton. The kid can create, finish, has a tight handle, great speed and change of pace.
I agree he'd be a really good fit for that 2nd PG spot, but he might not go for that. He was a starter at Penn St. this season. Might need a midmajor guy looking for a high major spot at any cost vs. a guy who is used to starting at a high major already.

Maybe an interesting one? Hawkins HS teammate.

This might be a guy for the 2nd PG spot, or at least the archtype. Young and hungry coming from a mid-major, but not like player of the year in the conference. Someone who would still need to grow to be the starter in the future.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I agree he'd be a really good fit for that 2nd PG spot, but he might not go for that. He was a starter at Penn St. this season. Might need a midmajor guy looking for a high major spot at any cost vs. a guy who is used to starting at a high major already.
Have to sell him that our Dairy Bar is better than PSU's.

Reaction Score
That's a Jackson problem, and nothing else. He is not a pure PG, therefore he must be able to shoot. His offseason literally should be taking 1,000 jump shots per day.
He took a 1,000 a day last year. He can only shoot if absolutely wide open. No pull ups, no step backs, no tear drops. The push shot is nice, but thats not what we need from a PG.

Reaction Score
Hurley obviously has a lot of connections in Jersey and the entire Tri-State area. Anyone know who in the portal is from the area? Anyone in the portal that Hurley recruited in the past and missed out on?

Reaction Score
@Fishy isn't going to be happy about this.

Hurley and his staff will be scouring the NCAA transfer portal in the coming weeks, looking for a couple of skilled players — a scoring point guard would top the list, along with another skilled scorer who could start right away — to fill out the roster.

Reaction Score
A little kid naptime tape review. Video courtesy of @tcf15. From Newton's freshman season against us, Hurley's 2nd year. Reminder that this was 2 years ago, so he's improved since then.

Halftime. 10 points, 3 assists (+2 drawn shooting foul assists), 3 rebounds.

Will do the 2nd half later tonight.

2nd half time. Reminder this is ECU transfer Tristan Newton's freshman year from 2 years ago against UConn.

48:59 - Runs into an infamous Whaley hedge, doesn't get the ball stolen. Gets a pass off to the roll-man, but Adams does a good job of rotating and breaks up the pass.

49:41 - Rotates over from off ball and draws a charge against Vital. Think it was the right call, nice play.

50:16 - Nice cut, but misses a tough layup over Whaley/Vital helping in the lane. Commits a frustration hack foul coming inbounds. Not his best moment.

51:01 - Fills the lane on a long rebound. Gets Vital to commit and no problem finishing past him.

52:33 - Does a great job setting up Gilbert on the screen, then drives hard. Has an open lane with no shot blockers, only Brendan Adams contesting. Should've finished. Fights hard, gets the rebound, gets stripped going back up, but then is the first guy to the ground. Gets a foul call on Gilbert (should have been a tie up probably). Shaken up a bit on the play. Really like the effort level from a freshman.

58:47 - Smartly identifies the hard hedge coming and their coach drew up a slip to beat it. Our D reacts, so he smartly moves the defense without taking a dribble by using a jab step and a couple ball fakes. Easily makes an overhand no-step cross court pass to the far corner right to his guy's chest, who is able to pump fake the defender closing hard, leading to a wide open shot. Savvy PG play, QB-esque moving the defense.

59:18 - Picks up a loose ball and runs the break. Vital funnels him into Adams. Newton tries to finish through him, but either blocked or altered or fouled. Not sure. Teammate cleans it up. Maybe should've passed to #4 after getting by Vital.

59:55 - Fakes the deep 3, uses the cushion offered by Bouknight to get downhill and then jump stops in the paint. Gets Whaley in the air with a slight hesitation and small ball fake, then draws the foul and finishes strong through contact. Nails the And-1 FT. That's a high major play.

1:03:19 - Decent first step but Vital recovers. Pulls up, Vital called for a cheap hand to wrist. Not an amazing move, Vital bailed him out (or got unlucky he hit wrist).

1:05:27 - Catch and shoot 3. Was ready for the pass, shot without hesitation.

1:06:13 - Whaley hedge forces him backwards on the PnR. He resets and gets downhill against Gaffney. Good behind the back gets him to a better part of the court, gets Gaffney on his hip, then hangs and converts in the paint. Gaffney can't guard him.

1:07:19 - Slight hesitation, but mostly just drives right at Gilbert and shoots a runner over him, uses the bank. Easy. Gilbert can't guard him. Lead down to 6, 7-0 personal run. UConn TO.

1:10:38 - Once again just goes right at Gilbert. Gathers early outside the paint and just elevates. Gilbert caught in no man's land and blocking foul. Still can't guard him. He's gotten both Vital and Gilbert into a bit of foul trouble here in the 2nd half. Short rims the first one, makes the 2nd.

He draws a hand check foul 25 feet from the hoop. Rims out the first shot of a 1-and-1. He's played most of the game at this point, I've only seen him out for a brief stint in the 1st half, probably a bit tired. Gets a bit lazy and commits a freedom of movement foul on D.

1:15:41 - Another beauty of an overhand 20 foot assist. Right on the money to Gardner open down low. He's open because Newton looks and pump fakes once, waits for the guy cheating into the lane to retreat back out and then gets the pass in with velocity before Whaley fully recovers. Great stuff. Scorer doesn't give him an assist because Gardner pump faked for no reason 1 time despite being open 1 foot from the basket?

1:21:55 - Navigates the hedge in PnR, has an open lane to the pass to the roll man. The corner cheats in and the roll man is stripped immediately when he goes up (eventually recovers and his fouled, so another foul assist). It's an okay pass since he did have a window (announcer even said "Good pass!"), but the best play is probably a skip to the wide open far corner.

1:24:52 - Hadn't shot in a few minutes, UConn is now walling the paint with help against his drives. Offense going nowhere so he pulls up for a long 2. Surprised Adams with the decisive move, but not the best shot selection. Shot looked pretty good, but rims out.

1:27:15 - Garbage time setting in a bit and we're really walling off the paint on his PnRs now and his guys didn't really roll at all. Taking what the defense is giving, another pull-up midrange jumper. Probably should keep looking. Vital with an awesome contest.

Coach takes him out for I think the first time in the 2nd half with 1:30 left.
Overall stats - 38 minutes, 25 points, 9/17 from the field, 1/2 from 3pt, 6/8 from FT (1 was missed front end), 5 rebounds, 6 assists (should be 7) plus 3 foul assists, 2 steals, 0 turnovers.

Really impressive showing from a freshman, especially against our 2pt D helmed by Whaley, which is where he did most of his damage. He roasted Gilbert (with his size) and Gaffney (with savvy and change of pace). Had a couple scores against Vital and Bouknight also. Got to the line 8 times, jumper looked good. Scored at all 3 levels. He's not a jitter bug, not an amazing first step, definitely more a guy that plays under control and uses his size to create an advantage.

Pretty impressed with his vision and velocity on his passes. Definitely a point guard. Mostly made the right reads in pick and roll. Playing under control also helps him wait for a play to develop before getting the pass in. No idea how a guy with this scoring acumen and vision at this size fell through the cracks to ECU with no other major offers. Looks like West Virginia gave him a look but didn't offer.

I also don't recall his man scoring very often (Vital hit a 3 or so), and he held up pretty well when he was defending Bouknight (emerging at end of freshman year) and Vital. Got clipped chasing on screens once or twice, but also had a few where he hung well enough to deny a pass and break up a set action. He was generally in good position off ball and not flat-footed too often.

Bring him in Danny.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Will be really interesting to see if Kyle Lofton from St. Bonaventure uses his COVID year and wants to play big time D1 ball for his last year.

From New Jersey and played his HS ball in Connecticut
15 pts 11 ast tonight vs Xavier.

Reaction Score
Hurley obviously has a lot of connections in Jersey and the entire Tri-State area. Anyone know who in the portal is from the area? Anyone in the portal that Hurley recruited in the past and missed out on?
Davis is from NY so has the local connection there. Reeves and Shannon are from the Chicago area, and if my memory serves correct Luke Murray has some connections there

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I believe the entire Murray State roster is in the portal now.

Reaction Score

This might be a guy for the 2nd PG spot, or at least the archtype. Young and hungry coming from a mid-major, but not like player of the year in the conference. Someone who would still need to grow to be the starter in the future.
Wouldn’t he have to sit out a year since he’s already transferred once?

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t he have to sit out a year since he’s already transferred once?
Good question. They gave some guys waivers last year that had transferred before the rule change took place and gave them immediate eligibility, so maybe he's assuming that would happen for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duke79

Top Bottom