Transfer Portal | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone who mentions Curbelo as an option needs to be smacked in the head. He cannot shoot from 3. How do you expect to run an offense when you have 3 players on the court who can’t score from more than 5 feet away from the hoop? This aint the 80s anymore

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I think the thing a lot of fans miss with transfers, including myself, is that if the kid goes somewhere else and excels it's not necessarily valid to say, 'See, I told you so, DH should have given them playing time, tried harder to keep them, etc.' Sometimes the player just needs to be at a different school and in a different cultural environment to truly blossom. If they'd stayed in Storrs it probably wouldn't have happened.
Even in the event the player absolutely balls out and drives their new school to a National Title, again, it probably wasn't gonna happen in Storrs for whatever reason. So good luck.
I agree. As a Bruins fan, I think the Tyler Seguin trade is a good example of this. The Bruins got the pick from a trade while they were already really good. He was a generational talent and was groomed to be the next guy and lead them to dominate the league.

But it didn't happen for him. He was pretty good, showed flashes. He was like a 2/3 of a point a game guy. But there were maturity issues, he was seen out partying constantly, and he was playing a bit out of position, etc. They traded him before his 4th year, and he blew up and immediately became a 1 point a game guy on his new team for his whole prime. All-Star, 6th in MVP voting... immediately. Almost every Bruin fan curses this trade. How could they give up on the guy that fast? It's an All-time self scouting fail.

Or is it? I consider this trade (and many of these transfer situations) Schrödinger's trade. The act of trading him itself may have altered his outlook. Made Seguin reconsider and adjust his work ethic and career. Let him play in a style that fit him better. It's impossible to know if he would have further developed into an All-Star in Boston. Could they have gotten him to the point to re-consider those things without trading him? I don't know. Nobody does.

Reaction Score
Rampant cheating in the portal is absolutely going to happen.

Schools will have their players reach out to their friends to ask how they’re doing.

It’s becoming like travel ball where kids jump year to year

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree. As a Bruins fan, I think the Tyler Seguin trade is a good example of this. The Bruins got the pick from a trade while they were already really good. He was a generational talent and was groomed to be the next guy and lead them to dominate the league.

But it didn't happen for him. He was pretty good, showed flashes. He was like a 2/3 of a point a game guy. But there were maturity issues, he was seen out partying constantly, and he was playing a bit out of position, etc. They traded him before his 4th year, and he blew up and immediately became a 1 point a game guy on his new team for his whole prime. All-Star, 6th in MVP voting... immediately. Almost every Bruin fan curses this trade. How could they give up on the guy that fast? It's an All-time self scouting fail.

Or is it? I consider this trade (and many of these transfer situations) Schrödinger's trade. The act of trading him itself may have altered his outlook. Made Seguin reconsider and adjust his work ethic and career. Let him play in a style that fit him better. It's impossible to know if he would have further developed into an All-Star in Boston. Could they have gotten him to the point to re-consider those things without trading him? I don't know. Nobody does.
On the flip side, the Thornton trade was an absolute disaster.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Anyone who mentions Curbelo as an option needs to be smacked in the head. He cannot shoot from 3. How do you expect to run an offense when you have 3 players on the court who can’t score from more than 5 feet away from the hoop? This aint the 80s anymore

I think the theory is that because Curbelo himself was smacked in the head, his stats from last year should be viewed as perhaps not properly reflecting his abilities.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tons of competition for those minute right now. Andrew Hurley is going to be tough to beat on the depth chart
Plenty of PT for sure. Side note: anybody here think Andrew may actually play a small bench role as a senior? It wouldn't surprise me. Didn't he have some low D1 interest?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I'm concerned we won't be able to offer PT to any good PGs in the portal
Well we’re offering about as much PT competition as Syracuse has in past years, which I’m told scared off many five star prospects… so many we’ll never ever have another point guard take the court in Gampel in a white uni again

Reaction Score
a scoring point guard would top the list, along with another skilled scorer who could start right away
we all knew the first transfer would need to be a starting PG but i'm a tad surprised they are also referring to the second transfer as a starter.

it must mean jackson really is moving to the 4 spot, consistent with hurley's recent comments about playing four-out:

PG transfer - gaffney
CG transfer - floyd
hawkins - SF transfer
jackson - karaban
sanogo - samson

not sure how hurley fills the FOURTH open scholly but karaban already fits perfectly as a stretch PF and i don't think we could bring in three transfer Gs, so i guess a skilled SF for depth?

PS- gaff is not actually the backup PG in the depth chart above, the CG transfer would run the point when the starter is out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
we all knew the first transfer would need to be a starting PG but i'm a tad surprised they are also referring to the second transfer as a starter.

it must mean jackson really is moving to the 4 spot, consistent with hurley's recent comments about playing four-out:

PG transfer - gaffney
CG transfer - floyd
hawkins - SF transfer
jackson - karaban
sanogo - samson

not sure how hurley fills the third open scholly but karaban already fits perfectly as a stretch PF and i don't think we could bring in three transfer Gs, so i guess a skilled SF for depth?

PS- gaff is not actually the backup PG in the depth chart above, the CG transfer would run the point when the starter is out.
Especially since Gaffney is transferring

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
His freshman year % was just as bad. He is not a shooter, concussion or not.

3-point % yes, but he shot 50%. I haven't seen a shot chart but presumably the 100+ shots he made weren't all layups.

If you're saying he can't shoot outside the paint, I'll believe you.

I'm not of the view that everybody needs to be able to shoot 3s. It's nice, but as long as a guy can keep Ds honest, it's OK. We should be looking for BPAs (or BPGAs, to be more precise).

Reaction Score
3-point % yes, but he shot 50%. I haven't seen a shot chart but presumably the 100+ shots he made weren't all layups.

If you're saying he can't shoot outside the paint, I'll believe you.

I'm not of the view that everybody needs to be able to shoot 3s. It's nice, but as long as a guy can keep Ds honest, it's OK. We should be looking for BPAs (or BPGAs, to be more precise).
Then thank the lord you're not the coach of this program. This aint the 1980's grandpa. You need 4 guys on the court who can shoot the 3 at all times. That's modern offense

Reaction Score
He was a preseason All American who suffered through concussions and we currently have zero guards. I’m not saying he’s my top guy but should at least do some diligence on him.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have a link for that transfer data base that someone posted a few days ago

Reaction Score
I'd easily take Adam Miller despite the ACL tear. He tore that in October, would be good to go by summer? Kid can shoot.

Curbelo too... illinois connection? Both of those kids have talent and watching both of them at Illinois they both have a high IQ for the game

Reaction Score
I feel like El Ellis is a guy we should keep on the radar. With all the turmoil at Louisville it wouldn’t shock me to see him leave, and I believe we were his clear 2nd choice. Was decent, not great at Louisville last year but a talented kid.

Reaction Score
He was a preseason All American who suffered through concussions and we currently have zero guards. I’m not saying he’s my top guy but should at least do some diligence on him.
Hurley's due diligence will be "can this guy shoot the 3 ball?". The answer is no. Next.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Then thank the lord you're not the coach of this program. This aint the 1980's grandpa. You need 4 guys on the court who can shoot the 3 at all times. That's modern offense

Thank lord nobody here is the coach of our program.

I don't agree that everybody on the roster needs to be able to hit 3s. If you have a PG who can't shoot 3s and you want 4 3-point shooters on the floor for 40 minutes, you can go small or play a big who can stretch the floor.

If your point is that we shouldn't take any non-centers who aren't good 3-point shooters, I don't agree.

Wasn't saying a guy like Curbelo should get 30 minutes a game. Just not ready to dismiss out of hand a guy who was considered a 1st round talent before his concussion.

Reaction Score
Big shooter alert:

Akron's 6'8 206 forward Ali Ali.

13.9p, 2.9r, 2.5a in 34.2 mpg

Career splits: 49.8 2p%, 37.4 3p% (3.5 attempts/game last year), 71.7 ft% (3.9 attempts/game last year).

Would be a lovely Polley replacement as the long shooter off the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom