Time to bench AG | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Time to bench AG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Agree on *almost* all of that; but as an admitted early--and misplaced--adopter of Cup Cormier, AG is light years more talented imo.

Yes, his continued over-penetration is maddening at this point, and he plays small because he doesn't have the hops of someone like Boatright, but I still think he has the best point guard skills and ability on the current roster. Granted it's not a high bar, but I am not ready to give up on him yet. If he can't get his shot back and can settle into more of a Taliek Brown-mode PG, it just might work. And I was not an early--or late--adopter of Taliek.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, we have no one else right now to run offense, but I'm tempted to put the ball in Gaffney's hands. Crazy as that sounds.
What are you talking about? Who ran the offense against Buffalo ? They looked allot better then. Gilbert can't shoot at all and is a ball hog. Hurley can't see this ?????

Reaction Score
AG is Definitly still hurt and I love Hurley’s loyalty to him but AG is not a division 1 player right now. He’s a sub.

Reaction Score
AG is Definitly still hurt and I love Hurley’s loyalty to him but AG is not a division 1 player right now. He’s a sub.
Yes, but his loyalty should be to the team !!

Reaction Score
Agree on *almost* all of that; but as an admitted early--and misplaced--adopter of Cup Cormier, AG is light years more talented imo.

Yes, his continued over-penetration is maddening at this point, and he plays small because he doesn't have the hops of someone like Boatright, but I still think he has the best point guard skills and ability on the current roster. Granted it's not a high bar, but I am not ready to give up on him yet. If he can't get his shot back and can settle into more of a Taliek Brown-mode PG, it just might work. And I was not an early--or late--adopter of Taliek.

AG has ridiculous hops. he can really get up which makes the inability to get a layup over the defender so puzzling

Reaction Score

I think that’s the key to the success of the team, getting Gilbert and Vital to accept their roles and limitations. Neither should be taking the big shots late in games. AG should focus on defense and distributing the ball, Vital should focus on rebounding, transition and hustle plays. There’s far too big a body of evidence at this point to expect good things out of either late in games in a half court set.

Reaction Score

Yea try telling him that !

Curiouser
Reaction Score
AG has ridiculous hops. he can really get up which makes the inability to get a layup over the defender so puzzling
He hasn’t appeared to have the same hops this season for some reason. But irrespective, the way he’s been driving and trying to lay it in when he starts his shot underhanded with ball below his waist, it’s really making him play even shorter than he is.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Dunk contests are meaningless. He can’t jump with the ball in his hands and players in the lane.

Reaction Score
Obviously his FTs were clutch. But his shot selection throughout is at least one reason why they didn’t hold their regulation lead. He definitely works hard but he really doesn’t have PG instincts. Kinda Cup Cormierish with a higher ceiling. We’ll never know how much his injuries stunted his learning curve. Too bad, cuz he’s easy to root for.

Wrong he had very few bad selections in regulation. He was good in regulation don’t pile on. He was awful in the OTs no doubt but can’t deny the 3 FTs gave us hope yet again.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a player who is worse at finishing around the rim. Might as well be a turnover once he goes up.

Reaction Score
AG has his role on the team, clearly, I just don't think he has fully realized it yet. Draw fouls, dish the rock, continue to play good D but I'd like his shot selection cut in half, at least, and the remaining half being the result of better choices.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Wrong he had very few bad selections in regulation. He was good in regulation don’t pile on. He was awful in the OTs no doubt but can’t deny the 3 FTs gave us hope yet again.
Let’s put it this way. He’s not the best jump shooting option on the team. Terrible % and needs to find shooters off his drives or learn to pull up before he gets surrounded. If he can set up Polley or even Vital who’s a better shooter, at least when he doesn’t force it.

Reaction Score
If you can't make open shots and you're still forcing shot up you should see your minutes evaporate. It's decision making as much as shooting. AG is a valuable guy but Adam's and Bouk should be getting more minutes. Adam's could develop into a tough match up guy the way he plays and uses his body. We have options but the recipe is unsettled. I don't see any indication AG is suddenly going to find that consistency with his shooting.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? Who ran the offense against Buffalo ? They looked allot better then. Gilbert can't shoot at all and is a ball hog. Hurley can't see this ?????

Brendan Adams is not a point guard. That is not going to work over the season.

Reaction Score
When your opponent is in a man to man defense ....you want to run some pick and roll or

you want to run some dribble penetration to collapse the defense then kick it to shooter

Gilbert excels at penetration , and that means he is a extremely valuable weapon.
Perhaps , the staff can suggest Gilbert pull up earlier on his drives or look to pass sooner ,
I am confident that the staff will fix this and Gilbert can continue to be a valuable contributer.

Reaction Score
As if more evidence was needed, AG is flaming, steaming, free-range horse crap and CV the human turnover needs to be moved to the bench with him. This season should be all about developing the young players Bouk, Gaffney, and Adams and every minute AG and CV are on the court is a minute stolen from valuable development for the guys who have a chance to take us to the tourney next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom