Time to bench AG | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Time to bench AG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He should obviously be playing. He needs to be facilitating. Not going 2/13 from the floor. Break the press and get the team into the sets, and defend like his career depends on it--that's what his role needs to be. Wide open shots and easy layups until he's able to find a rhythm.

Except he can’t make easy layups. Hell he barely gets rim on most of his layups

Reaction Score
Xavier rotated and shifted inside when he started to drive. It was so transparent. He doesn't have the length to slice through double and triple teams.
No left hand doesn’t help either. How did forget he has a sick vertical?

Reaction Score
Brendan Adams or Gaffney. Gilbert cannot be allowed to continue to destroy this team. What good is his dribbling if he shoots 2-13 or can’t dish it to the correct player, or just stumbles over his own feet on the last play of the game. He single-handedly killed us this game with his decision making. He’s shooting BELOW 20% FOR THE YEAR. Enough.
Must move on to the future Vital and START BOUKNIGHT!!! Someone start a new thread!!!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Ok who would you like handling the ball? Who can get past their man on the dribble?
Yeah, but he doesn’t pull up, he gets surrounded, he fumbles the ball in traffic and he rarely passes off his drives. His shot selection is lousy. And some of that has to be on the coach. He has the ball in his hands so much that he has to do more to establish a flow. That said, they took a top 20,team to double OT early in the season.

It’s up to the coach to design plays to get the ball to the right shooters in the right positions and get his lead guard to execute.

Reaction Score
On the offensive end, man our starting backcourt can’t create for nothing.
Gilbert is actually the right guy. He hit all those big free throws and earlier was driving and passing. That’s all he needs to do and he would be sufficient. He drives at will on anyone but he needs to have a plan to kick it to our shooters or a big for a dunk or layup, he’s too in love with trying to score. I actually think this may be a turning point for him. Reality may sink in now.
Its crazy he can dunk, but he can’t explode and get the ball up on the backboard.

Reaction Score
This actually does not include today's game. Unbelievably, these shooting percentages will go DOWN after today's shooting performance (2-13, 17%)

Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 12.53.52 AM.png

Reaction Score
Thought Gilbert played pretty well and within himself in the first half. he was driving At will and dishing nicely the first half. He is maddening when he drives I admit but he can go by anyone. He was like 9/9 from free Throw line and played good d. The awful drives are what Is going to stand out but besides bouknight , who else can do anything off the dribble? I really don’t want badams running point right now

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Any insiders aware of the status of Gilbert's health? He's not getting any lift when taking the ball to the basket. He penetrates, jumps into the D's chest and throws up haphazard floaters/lay ins that have no shot. Also, good to see Carlton banging. He has to work on his hands, finishing with his left and exploding to the rim.

Reaction Score
He protects that shoulder. Doesn't ward off defenders with the L as he goes up with his right hand

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
He should obviously be playing. He needs to be facilitating. Not going 2/13 from the floor. Break the press and get the team into the sets, and defend like his career depends on it--that's what his role needs to be. Wide open shots and easy layups until he's able to find a rhythm.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If he can get a10 ft pull-up he'd be deadly. He gets by perimeter D with such ease
He gets by people because they let him. They know he’s going to get blocked at the rim/ 3 feet under the rim

Reaction Score
No chance we let Alterique come back for a grad year. Why in the world did Akok not see the light of day???
I’d like to know why Hurley didn’t put in Akok for valuable crunch time minutes, too. Instead, he put in Whaley, who was a monster with his 0 points, 1 rebound, and 5 fouls. That 5th foul was ridiculous though, he was basically whistled for just existing. If I’m Akok I look at nights like tonight and lean heavily towards declaring for the draft when the year is over - at least he’ll get to develop getting paid on someone’s G league team.

Reaction Score
He should obviously be playing... in some remote Eastern European league.

2-9
5-19
3-13
0-4
2-13
A combined 5-23 from 3

He’s in his 4th year out of high school. Even if injuries have limited his court time, he should at least have developed his basketball IQ and become a dependable senior floor general. Instead, he plays like a freshman. He’s decided that forgetting he’s 5’9” and driving and getting swatted at the rim is the best option. He has an F- shot selection ability He doesn’t facilitate the offense with his passing.

Being our best dribbler is not enough of a reason to play him anything more than 10-12mins a game when he quite literally is the worst shooter on the team, is a poor passer, a poor decision maker, and when we have other guys who can play. He can dribble his way to almost any spot on the court.. and that’s it.

We need a PG who doesn’t have the decision making abilities of Roscoe Smith with the clock running out. We have 4 other guards (Vital, Bouknight, Adams, Gaffney) available. It shouldn’t be a difficult decision - but if Hurley is willing to ride with Whaley over Akok in crunch time, I’m afraid we may be stuck with AG.

Reaction Score
Gilbert killed us. He cannot have the ball at the end of games.
Team effort.. Somebody's gotta get open.. OR coaches gotta run sets to get the scorers/hot hands open for shots..
Even still, I'd rather lose like this (knowing we can see a team that can/will/should improve from this.. a great learning game... Heck we only lost by 1.. in OT).. I ain't mad...

Reaction Score
IF Gilbert doesn't run the offense for us tonite, we would've lost before OT. Plain and simple...

Should he have tried to take the shots he took late in the game? Definitely not.. But we gotta learn from this and do a better job getting other options open on drives and dishes..

AND, Carlton must learn how to finish stronger around the basket... He just does... It's there, but he just has to finish and be able to move to the next play quicker...

Reaction Score
I’d like to know why Hurley didn’t put in Akok for valuable crunch time minutes, too. Instead, he put in Whaley, who was a monster with his 0 points, 1 rebound, and 5 fouls. That 5th foul was ridiculous though, he was basically whistled for just existing. If I’m Akok I look at nights like tonight and lean heavily towards declaring for the draft when the year is over - at least he’ll get to develop getting paid on someone’s G league team.
He was hurt, that's why he didn't put him in

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Did you miss his seven straight free throws down the stretch and in OT?
Obviously his FTs were clutch. But his shot selection throughout is at least one reason why they didn’t hold their regulation lead. He definitely works hard but he really doesn’t have PG instincts. Kinda Cup Cormierish with a higher ceiling. We’ll never know how much his injuries stunted his learning curve. Too bad, cuz he’s easy to root for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom