Time to bench AG | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Time to bench AG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For me it’s just the opposite. I find it hard to wind down and go to sleep after the game. It’s going to be a little tough at work at about 3 PM today.

I couldn't get any sleep after the game I was so pumped. Let it happen again tonight baby

Reaction Score
If I make it through to the end of a game, that’s exactly what happens to me. But for some reason I still haven’t adjusted to DST and I’m waking up before 5:00 a.m. almost every day so 9:00 feels like midnight to me and I frequently start nodding off before 10:00.

I did exactly what CL82 did, wound up. A brief post game with my brother despite calling each other 20 times during the game and then I was so awake watched my DVR of Chicago PD until almost 1. Woke up at 5 so tonight my hope is a nap prior LOL, then the alarm and get right into it. Won't be easy. (maybe some golf in an hour and a few beers today too yikes)

Reaction Score
We have had a bunch of these guys.. They do a few good things and they get "full of themselves" and regress to the schoolyard where they could get away with anything (such as driving 1 on 3 into the trees). Calhoun would yank them immediately. Sometimes, with the smart ones, that lesson sank in. Not sure if it would work with AG.

Not even close throwing him in with a "binch of these guys" actually ridiculous. He's had som many terrible injuries and yet has had some tremendous games and show his potential he can't be bunched in like that. He's struggling big time but we need him to be healthy and find his game because he is a difference maker at that point.

Reaction Score
Hurley said last night - “I’d be surprised if we see him the rest of the week”

Also per Borges - Hurley said that Gilbert wanted to get back in the game, but that he wasn’t medically cleared by trainer James Doran. The coach added that Gilbert probably won’t play again in this tournament, though he’ll see what Gilbert can do at shootaround on Friday.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Brendan Adams should be starting at PG until Bouknight proves himself. AG’s inefficiency is killing us. 24% fg and 21% from 3 not counting this half’s bricks. He doesn’t make up for the inefficiency in any other facet of the game.

It pains me to say this, but he's killing us when he's out there. Never mind not making shots, his decisions with the ball and his turnovers are awful.

I'm hoping he finds his game again, because I do believe he's critical to our short term success. Although I'm really excited about how our young guards are playing as well as Akok. I think Bouknight had one of the best debuts we've seen in a long long time, maybe since Ray Ray. I loved him for all of those 12 minutes.

Back to AG, step it up my man, be the leader we all know you can be.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Hurley said last night - “I’d be surprised if we see him the rest of the week”

I think I saw something about AG wanting to play the 2nd half too, I'm hoping he plays again in this tournament

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
What’s the injury? Is this the equivalent of when the place a struggling pitcher on the IL in MLB with “arm soreness” to give them time to mentally recover?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If healthy he's our best option at point. He won't be playing tonight so I certainly hope the kids are ready for a different look from a tougher defensive team. Not saying they can't we will see. Until then we need to get his ankle healthy then his mind and game healthy because we need AG to be good as he can be and we've seen. All these extra great things we see and have is predicated upon him figuring it out.
AG’s movement on offense without the ball puts a lot of pressure on defenses that I noticed was reduced with BA, CV and JG taking point. It was less noticeable with James. Kid is lightening quick. Problem is he’s learning team play.

I’ve been high on Brendan and Jalen earlier than others here. But I’m concerned people are missing things AG does. I expect greater difficulty bringing the ball up the court on full court presses and fatigue to hurt a shortened team. Brendan looked like he was having back spasms towards the end of the game.

Coach Hurley was integrating the role players into the game nicely providing them with more playing time. It was only one game earlier people were saying putting in Brendan and Jalen together was a mistake and now they want them to start.

AG absence will hurt. Hopefully the young pups can play better than where they currently are in their development.

Reaction Score
AG, because of his height, needs an outside shot. He needs his defender to respect his ability to hit an open 3 so he could go around him. Once in the lane with the defender on his back, he could do some damage. With his outside shot being off, his defenders are leaving some room (knowing they can come close to closing out on a shot anyway with his lack of size). Now he's dragging multiple defenders into the lane, but not beating them. He's trapping himself. He's always overpenetrated (that's what she said), but it's become worse. If he doesn't fix the outside shot, he's in trouble.

That being said, he was a decent shooter (even if not consistent). It's not like asking Taliek to become Ben Gordon. Something happened to AG's shot (physical or mental) so hopefully he can get it back.

Reaction Score
I
What’s the injury? Is this the equivalent of when the place a struggling pitcher on the IL in MLB with “arm soreness” to give them time to mentally recover?
Ankle sprain. it didn’t look like your normal roll-and-bounce back up, so I thought it was more than a tweak live. But after he went to the locker room, he ran by us on the far sideline and looked ok to me. But hard to tell how an ankle responds in the moment. Like others said, gotta see how it responds overnight. I’m sure we’ll get an update this afternoon if he’s playing or not

Reaction Score
AG will figure it out. It's just not going to happen overnight. We've seen glimpses and flashes just like when we saw our other PGs as freshman. He's essentially a sophomore in the number of games played.

Kemba played 36 games as a freshman. Taleik played 31 games as a freshman.

Through last season, AG played 34 games and is asked to shoulder the load. The good thing is that Gaffney, BA are getting quality game action as freshman. AG was never afforded that luxury.

I remember people having the same complaints with Kemba, Taleik - drives too deeep, can't finish in the crowd, etc. Right now, I'm still in AG's corner because we need him.

Reaction Score
AG, because of his height, needs an outside shot. He needs his defender to respect his ability to hit an open 3 so he could go around him. Once in the lane with the defender on his back, he could do some damage. With his outside shot being off, his defenders are leaving some room (knowing they can come close to closing out on a shot anyway with his lack of size). Now he's dragging multiple defenders into the lane, but not beating them. He's trapping himself. He's always overpenetrated (that's what she said), but it's become worse. If he doesn't fix the outside shot, he's in trouble.

That being said, he was a decent shooter (even if not consistent). It's not like asking Taliek to become Ben Gordon. Something happened to AG's shot (physical or mental) so hopefully he can get it back.

Your point is spot on but making the 3 is not the issue at all. No one can stop him from getting to the lane problem is he needs to stop and pop the mid range or kick out, as you said high percentage ends up deep penetration with no where to go it's like a TO. Needs to be a PG first. Hope he can get there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
AG hit the floor hard. He also gave Buffalo their first points trying to dribble through a crowd, got his pocket picked. It is just my opinion, AG hitting the floor was Hurley's out. Gave him a chance to see Bouk and Gaffney. He let those two play together for some time. AND, I liked what I saw.In fact I thought I saw next years starting lineup in there. Those two looked like they played together before. Akok is amazing. Been awhile since we had Freshman come in and make an impact. BAdams is special also. We have a very good bench.
Game time tonight is 9:30 . It's killing me. Father time is kicking my a**.

You are crazy. I was sitting in the second row and you could see his ankle get rolled. It certainly wasn’t a benching. His shot wasn’t falling and he sometimes does too much to try to help the team when that happens. But he’s our best ball handler, best passer and played good defense on those tough, quick Buffalo guards. They torched us when he was out.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
AG will figure it out. It's just not going to happen overnight. We've seen glimpses and flashes just like when we saw our other PGs as freshman. He's essentially a sophomore in the number of games played.

Kemba played 36 games as a freshman. Taleik played 31 games as a freshman.

Through last season, AG played 34 games and is asked to shoulder the load. The good thing is that Gaffney, BA are getting quality game action as freshman. AG was never afforded that luxury.

I remember people having the same complaints with Kemba, Taleik - drives too deeep, can't finish in the crowd, etc. Right now, I'm still in AG's corner because we need him.
Shoulder the load!!! Please NO.

Reaction Score
I think they said he could be out for at least the next few games. If the team thrives with him on the bench he may go to more backup minutes pt.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
0gm
No one said keep him off. We said maybe not start him.
True, but I think we need to start him, gaffney had to dribble with his back to the defender and put his arm out at points to keep some space, he also isnt confident in going to the left side while dribbling. Alterique can at least handle the ball and I have no confidence issues with him bringing it up the court. Hes still our best player and hes just in a slump right now.

Last edited:

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
Yeah it took me awhile to wind down too. Then my dogs woke me up at 4 AM, so tonight's game may be tough to make it through.
The boneyard was very active at 1am I guess allot of us are very excited

Reaction Score
We may have 3 guys who can play the point. I don’t care who starts, just play the hot hand during the game.

Reaction Score
I still think we are going to miss his ball handling and defense tonight. I kno Adams played out of his skull but every time he brought the ball up, I was nervous. U guys might think im nuts but I wish Ag was starting tonight. We re going to need him. Unless gaffney plays really well. Hope we don’t miss AG tonight

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Me too. I fell asleep last night before halftime and I wasn't even drinking. Have to try something different tonight.
Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 9.14.34 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyThief