Time to bench AG | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Time to bench AG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
AG hit the floor hard. He also gave Buffalo their first points trying to dribble through a crowd, got his pocket picked. It is just my opinion, AG hitting the floor was Hurley's out. Gave him a chance to see Bouk and Gaffney. He let those two play together for some time. AND, I liked what I saw.In fact I thought I saw next years starting lineup in there. Those two looked like they played together before. Akok is amazing. Been awhile since we had Freshman come in and make an impact. BAdams is special also. We have a very good bench.
Game time tonight is 9:30 . It's killing me. Father time is kicking my a**.

Reaction Score
Way too early to say he's a bust. TODAY he is unplayable. I don't think it will last. He's in a mental rut or something--Hurley will get him back on track.
Right. He was objectively better last year. Most players don't regress, especially when they had a summer to work out.

Progress isn't linear, and it's hard to be a PG at a high level. We forget this. Game will slow down for him later on this year.

But, more than that, he needs to see his shot fall a few times for confidence. The players on the team love him, and it would be a morale boost for everyone.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Would he be our biggest high ranked bust over hazelton?
I think you can’t disregard how snake bit the kid has been. Have to wonder what he would look like if he hadn’t had one injury after another, and developed under a different coach.

Reaction Score
If AG sits, then the team will just have to adapt to not getting 3 or 4 bricks and TO's from its PG in the first 5 minutes of every game. To see Adams and Gaffney handle this team last night was nothing short of thrilling. There is a potential in front us this morning that we could not have dreamed of at 9:20 EST last night. And Bouknight! By God, eight points, six rebounds, and he SAT for the last six minutes of the game. Hurley must have figured, "Save him for when we need him."

Reaction Score
U guys are nuts If u think Adams should be starting at point guard over Gilbert - we need Gilbert to settle things down and run the offense and plus we also need his defense. I don’t care how bad he is playing. We need him at point. I agree he’s an awful slump right now and definitely think his minutes should get reduced but I’ll be shocked tonight if we don’t miss his ball handling skills. Btw. Is AG definitely out for rest of tourney?

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Way too early to say he's a bust. TODAY he is unplayable. I don't think it will last. He's in a mental rut or something--Hurley will get him back on track.
You make a good point. One of the collateral benefits of the play of Adams and Gaffney is that it gives Hurley the ability to “coach up” AG by taking him off the floor. It’ll be interesting to see where that goes.

Reaction Score
I find it funny that some are ready to
hand the keys to JG already. Did he play better tonight than his first few games? Yeah because he was pretty poor (to say the least) in those, so not a huge mountain to climb. AG is in a serious slump, benching doesn’t help get him out of it. BA has played very good but we need a guy like him off the bench. Let’s see how we do without AG for a full game to make an actual judgement.
Just went back through the whole thread and maybe I missed it but I don’t see one person suggesting that JG should be the starting point guard right now. I can’t remember seeing that in any other threads either.

CL82

Reaction Score
Me too. I fell asleep last night before halftime and I wasn't even drinking. Have to try something different tonight.
For me it’s just the opposite. I find it hard to wind down and go to sleep after the game. It’s going to be a little tough at work at about 3 PM today.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
AG is pressing, probably from reading all the preseason comments on how we need him to lead. He needs to slow down mentally and let the game come to him. He has the best handle on the team (until Gaffney and Bouk really show what they can do) and has proven to be a skilled passer. I trust DH to get him squared away. BA was great and will get the opportunity to run the team the rest of the weekend. Gaffney will also get more minutes (which DH said he needed). Al will be on the bench with taliek in his ear. Suggest we don't throw the kid overboard after 4 games considering all he has suffered to play here. It's all good. Beat Xavier!

Reaction Score
My guess is that DH would be willing to hand the keys to Gaffney this very day if the kid were up to the job defensively. Same is true of Bouknight. Probably the reason Bouk sat out the last six minutes. Not true of Adams, who shines defensively and will see starter's minutes if he can deliver offensively as he did last night.

Reaction Score
Gilbert has struggled to start this season, but if we’re going to be a tournament team we will need him to be a large contributor and play a role.
If we’re going to be a tournament team, I don’t think we wait for him to figure it out. I think we play with the players that are playing well and develop them... so that by March they have experience.
I know AG has been hurt a lot of his time at UConn but he is a senior. At some point, he has to own the development he has had. He has had more time to develop than other guys who had no problems.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
Alterique will be fine, hes our best option at point guard, are we really going to say we should keep the guy off the floor when we have at least 18 more games. Hes not looking great but we still need him in the rotation. Are we really going to trash the kid already.

Reaction Score
Alterique will be fine, hes our best option at point guard, are we really going to say we should keep the guy off the floor when we have at least 18 more games. Hes not looking great but we still need him in the rotation. Are we really going to trash the kid already.
No one said keep him off. We said maybe not start him.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I don't think it's quite time to bench him yet, but he doesn't look like the same player so far this year, that's for sure. You have to wonder if all the injuries have taken their toll, and I was really impressed with Gaffney tonight. The kid can really play, and he hasn't even made an impact scoring yet.

That being said, Gilbert deserves to play when healthy. Three games isn't enough of a sample size to make any final decisions on who should be getting the lion's share of minutes.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
For me it’s just the opposite. I find it hard to wind down and go to sleep after the game. It’s going to be a little tough at work at about 3 PM today.

Yeah it took me awhile to wind down too. Then my dogs woke me up at 4 AM, so tonight's game may be tough to make it through.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If I make it through to the end of a game, that’s exactly what happens to me. But for some reason I still haven’t adjusted to DST and I’m waking up before 5:00 a.m. almost every day so 9:00 feels like midnight to me and I frequently start nodding off before 10:00.

Reaction Score
No one said keep him off. We said maybe not start him.

If healthy he's our best option at point. He won't be playing tonight so I certainly hope the kids are ready for a different look from a tougher defensive team. Not saying they can't we will see. Until then we need to get his ankle healthy then his mind and game healthy because we need AG to be good as he can be and we've seen. All these extra great things we see and have is predicated upon him figuring it out.

Reaction Score
Adams had a great game but lets stop with the he should be starting PG talk. He filled in and played well as you want from your bench players, Next Guy Up, as they say. Please remember that Adams fouled out in 10 minutes against St Joe's and played 11 minutes against Florida and was 0-3. Should be play more yes but should he start no.

Reaction Score
We have had a bunch of these guys.. They do a few good things and they get "full of themselves" and regress to the schoolyard where they could get away with anything (such as driving 1 on 3 into the trees). Calhoun would yank them immediately. Sometimes, with the smart ones, that lesson sank in. Not sure if it would work with AG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom