Time to bench AG | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Time to bench AG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We saw flashes that he was an incredible player so great, but I think it’s time for him to prove that. With the other high flyers we have on this team, why doesn’t he downplay the scoring and just deliver the ball?

Reaction Score
It's kind of funny how opinions can vary so wildly during and after games early in the season. There's lots of games ahead full of twists and turns (not ankles hopefully) that will reveal the true character of this team.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agree . We have to believe in him. He has the talent, he has the character...He will win us important games this season and lead us to the tournament. Stop doubting this kid

You're not wrong, at the same time, we can't let his rust or shooting struggles drop games for us. Need to be mindful of spreading minutes. Right now, he's a net negative, but needs some burn to work his way back in.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We know how good he can be, but he is trying too hard. How do you miss this alley oop?

Honestly, his over the top passing has been suspect in general. He doesn't go to the floater much on drives, whether that's lack of skill or confidence issue I don't know.

He's much better dishing the passing lanes.

Reaction Score
You're not wrong, at the same time, we can't let his rust or shooting struggles drop games for us. Need to be mindful of spreading minutes. Right now, he's a net negative, but needs some burn to work his way back in.

I think Gaffney is much healthier now so that is a great thing and Hurley will definitely play him a lot until Gilbert is ready to go. But despite how well they played last night, I get nervous as hell with Adams and especially Vital at point guard.

My point is that Gilbert is not going to shoot 15% the entire season.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yup. Along the same lines, moderators how about editing that title maybe just to 'PG questions' or just 'Alterique?' It has to suck as player to see a thread calling for your benching.

@fleudslipcon

He's def not reading this. Kid has tuned all this out years ago

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He's def not reading this. Kid has tuned all this out years ago
I hope so. Over the years we've found out that a lot players read the 'yard.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
Yup. Along the same lines, moderators how about editing that title maybe just to 'PG questions' or just 'Alterique?' It has to suck as player to see a thread calling for your benching.

@fleudslipcon

If a random thread is bothering a kid. Then he has way bigger issues my man. Let it go

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I hope so. Over the years we've found out that a lot players read the 'yard.

That's a time gone by. Kids only care about instagram and twitter comments nowadays.

CL82

Reaction Score
If a random thread is bothering a kid. Then he has way bigger issues my man. Let it go
Let it go? Uh it's one post. Hardly a crusade.

Reaction Score
More than one thing here can be true here. Yes, he’s struggling but also they need to figure it out and get him contributing.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Look at the screen shot above, not only is Akok ready for the lob but Tyler Phommachanh is open for the 3. Many posters are asking him/them to figure it out. I believe the answer is AG has to become a pass first point guard. He seems to be resisting this notion by his shots attempted stat. In a starting lineup of AG, CV, AA, Tyler Phommachanh, and JC, Alterique should be the fifth option to shoot. Granted this won't happen every possession but he should be looking to create and distribute much more often.

CL82

Reaction Score

1574457104438.png

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
If we get beat down tonight against Xavier because our underclassmen guards make underclassmen mistakes and get outplayed by XU veteran guards, I wonder how many individuals will still be saying Gilbert should be benched.

The Boneyard is a fickle place. I'm as excited as anyone to see what our young talent has to offer, but just because Gilbert is off to a slow start to the season doesn't mean we're better off with him on the bench. I think that will become obvious tonight with Gilbert out.

I would love to be proven wrong and eat crow.

Reaction Score
Gilbert should be benched group are crazed. He simply fills a sincere need for this team this moment.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I wonder how many individuals will still be saying Gilbert should be benched.
Gilbert should be benched group are crazed. He simply fills a sincere need for this team this moment.
You mean other than ball handling vs. pressure? Well, I won’t say bench him, but as out of control/forcing everything/poor shot selection as he’s been I’d have a really short hook for him. And that’s regardless of the results. He’s got a good handle, but his BBIQ and creativity are lacking, and I saw more of that from Adams, Gaffney and Bouknight in last night’s 2nd half than from him all year.

Reaction Score
As the founder of the thread, I should clarify again that by benching I meant he shouldn’t be our starting PG - He should come off the bench as a rotation player playing 10-15mins a game.

He is our best ball handler, but otherwise is below average at just about everything else. He is an absolutely horrific shooter, turnover prone, and doesn’t distribute the ball well as a PG despite his ability to break defenders down off the dribble. What he needs to be is exactly the opposite of what he has been - a pass first distributor who limits turnovers and a knockdown shooter when left open, and a guy who makes the other players around him better. As it stands, he is the worst possible backcourt player on the roster to pair with Vital in the backcourt. I believe Hurley is or should be running a meritocracy when it comes to playing time, which means Adams/Bouknight/Gaffney should be seeing large increases in minutes. The size difference is also a significant factor - Bouk and Adams are listed at 6’4”, Gaffney at 6’2”, while AG is 5’10” maybe (he’s listed at 6’0” on ESPN LOL). It allows us more flexibility on defense and we all saw what Bouk could do crashing the boards.

The second half last night was the first time in forever that we saw UConn basketball on offense. The stagnant Ollie offense of the past few years was absent, our young guards were creating quality chances with passes and off the dribble instead of running around the 3 point arc making hand off passes until the shot clock expires and heaving a contested terrible shot. There was intensity, energy, and hope. Buffalo isn’t Duke but they are a high quality mid-major team who should finish 1st or 2nd in the MAC. I think it’s best for AG and the team if he becomes a rotational player instead of the default starter. Maybe we still use him in crunch time when we’re trying to hold a lead given his ball handling skills, and maybe he earns back more minutes when he stops being a brick layer, but we need more minutes for the young talent.

Is this harsh? I like to think it’s a fair assessment and would love for him to succeed. However, we’re not winning a title this year, and I’m more concerned with our return to glory next year in the Big East. Let Bouk, Gaffney, Adams, and especially Akok get the minutes and touches to develop to prepare us for next year when we all should expect to be a clear tourney team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom