The Official 2023 New England Patriots Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Official 2023 New England Patriots Thread

Reaction Score
It is. I just think the team is close. Execution on a play here or there and they win both games.
Mac Jones stats:

• 0-13 when the other team scores 24+ pts
  • 0-12 in comeback situations down 7 or less in the 4th quarter
  • 21 drives where he would have tied or won the game in the 4th quarter he has 1 TD drive
  • 3-12 against playoff teams - Win #1 was the Buffalo snow game he had 3 pass attempts, Win #2 was against Tennessee when they were without AJ Brown, Derrick Henry and 12 other players due to COVID quarantine and Win #3 was against Miami with Skylar Thompson at QB.
Masterful job by BB masking the gaping hole he has at QB. I wish Saleh could do the same.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He has to cut out the brutal interceptions, but the Patriots are not 0-2 because of Mac Jones.

Mac was serviceable as a rookie. He had a Special Teams coach and Defensive Coordinator calling offensive plays for the 1st time in their careers during his second year because Belichick wanted to save Kraft some money for reasons, and only served to stunt Jones' development. Can't do that to a 2nd year, 24 YO starting QB.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He had a Special Teams coach and Defensive Coordinator calling offensive plays for the 1st time in their careers during his second year because Belichick wanted to save Kraft some money
Why would he want to save Kraft money?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He has to cut out the brutal interceptions, but the Patriots are not 0-2 because of Mac Jones.

Mac was serviceable as a rookie. He had a Special Teams coach and Defensive Coordinator calling offensive plays for the 1st time in their careers during his second year because Belichick wanted to save Kraft some money for reasons, and only served to stunt Jones' development. Can't do that to a 2nd year, 24 YO starting QB.

He had one bad INT so far. The first one wasn't bad, it was a deflection off the receiver. He has made some throws he shouldn't have, but he is definitely not the problem.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Why would he want to save Kraft money?
If you finished the sentence, I said...: "Reasons."

Judge and Patricia were being paid by the Giants and Lyons, respectively, and there is no cap for coaches' salaries. 2022 was nonsensical with respect to the offense in general and Mac Jones in particular.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If you finished the sentence, I said...: "Reasons."

Judge and Patricia were being paid by the Giants and Lyons, respectively, and there is no cap for coaches' salaries. 2022 was nonsensical with respect to the offense in general and Mac Jones in particular.
I think it had a lot less to do with money and a lot more to do with Bill being loyal to two former assistants who were fired elsewhere. He wanted to see them succeed and get new chances elsewhere. It was definitely a mistake.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think it had a lot less to do with money and a lot more to do with Bill being loyal to two former assistants who were fired elsewhere. He wanted to see them succeed and get new chances elsewhere. It was definitely a mistake.
Job 1 is to put a winning team on the field. Hard not to think that BB is washed.

Reaction Score
Mac Jones stats:

• 21 drives where he would have tied or won the game in the 4th quarter he has 1 TD drive
  • 3-12 against playoff teams - Win #1 was the Buffalo snow game he had 3 pass attempts, Win #2 was against Tennessee when they were without AJ Brown, Derrick Henry and 12 other players due to COVID quarantine and Win #3 was against Miami with Skylar Thompson at QB.
Masterful job by BB masking the gaping hole he has at QB. I wish Saleh could do the same.
This is incredible. And not in a good way

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Well they got a win. Defense was superb. Offense moved the ball but couldn't turn it into points often enough. Saw some signs of life, but they keep making mistakes in key situations, whether penalties, drops or miscommunication on routes. Juju in particular seems to be running something different than Mac expects, over and over. If they can't fix that, he needs to out of the 3rd down packages. Use Geisicki in that role. Jets have a great D, so that is part of it, but not all of it.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
September 24, 2023 the fun begins ends or something in between. It will be fun for someone.
That was fun... Just hoping if Bill can do the same to the other team he dislikes, the Cowboys. Now that would be real fun.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Mac Jones stats:

Undefeated against the Jets.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Undefeated against the Jets.
Turns out those "stats" weren't even accurate. Just a made up tweet.

Jones is not the problem. He's probably better than league average. Juju route running has been a problem (Myers wasn't the answer either). They may need more Boutte and Douglas, plus Geisicki lining up as a WR. OL is getting more healthy but still isn't good. Micah Parsons is a huge test for the OL. I expect another competitive game vs Dallas, but it will be tough to win there.

Reaction Score
Well they got a win. Defense was superb. Offense moved the ball but couldn't turn it into points often enough. Saw some signs of life, but they keep making mistakes in key situations, whether penalties, drops or miscommunication on routes. Juju in particular seems to be running something different than Mac expects, over and over. If they can't fix that, he needs to out of the 3rd down packages. Use Geisicki in that role. Jets have a great D, so that is part of it, but not all of it.
They are 20th in EPA D. It is not a great D by any means.

Reaction Score
Hurts was mobile. But this Patriots D is loaded with fast hybrid safeties that let them shut down mobile QBs, which was always their Achilles heal with the big thumper LBs they used to use. If not for that tipped ball INT Patriots win this game. Should be a wakeup call for the so called fans who think they will be bad.

Credit to the Eagles for emphasizing the run on D, they really shut the Pats run and screen game down, which allowed the Patriots to throw it a bit once they started to actually do so. Good coaching on both sides. Two very good teams.
Im Not No Way GIF

Reaction Score
Awful today. The whole team looked awful.

With Judon and Gonzalez potentially done for the year I'd be on board with tanking for Caleb Williams. But they'll probably end up with 6 wins and draft a long-snapper from Tufts that no one's ever heard of.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
With Judon and Gonzalez potentially done for the year I'd be on board with tanking for Caleb Williams. But they'll probably end up with 6 wins and draft a long-snapper from Tufts that no one's ever heard of.
They honestly nailed the first three rounds of picks this year, aside from not getting OL help. There's a massive problem with the run game. The OL is just getting dominated. Mac isn't the main problem, nor are the RBs or WRs. Those could be better but something is seriously wrong with the schemes.

Husky25

Reaction Score
They honestly nailed the first three rounds of picks this year, aside from not getting OL help. There's a massive problem with the run game. The OL is just getting dominated. Mac isn't the main problem, nor are the RBs or WRs. Those could be better but something is seriously wrong with the schemes.

Mac isn't the main problem but he is a problem. He played fairly well as a rookie and I was convinced that his year 2 problems were 100% attributable to two non-offensive coaches calling offensive signals and plays. I thought he was so young, he was fixable. Especially for Bill O'Brien.

Now, I may not have to do the knee-bend-&-roll maneuver to jump from the Mac Jones bandwagon. It's coming to a screeching halt on it's own. Barring a 10-3 finish, it's doubtful he gets his 5th year option at this point.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Mac isn't the main problem but he is a problem. He played fairly well as a rookie and I was convinced that his year 2 problems were 100% attributable to two non-offensive coaches calling offensive signals and plays. I thought he was so young, he was fixable. Especially for Bill O'Brien.

Now, I may not have to do the knee-bend-&-roll maneuver to jump from the Mac Jones bandwagon. It's coming to a screeching halt on it's own. Barring a 10-3 finish, it's doubtful he gets his 5th year option at this point.
Agreed. He was pretty good until last Sunday. The pressure rate on Sunday was insane, and yet we couldn't run the ball. If they want to move on, fine. I wanted a mobile QB, but honestly, all of the QBs from the first round of that draft except Lawrence are worse than Mac. My biggest complaint with Mac is that he doesn't put enough on the ball and doesn't seem to realize how quickly defenders close on a slow, lofted ball. That works great at Bama where Waddle and others were wide open. In the NFL has to rip those throws. Either he can't step in b/c pressure or he doesn't have the arm strength. Brady didn't have a cannon on deep balls, he lofted them, but he could make short and intermediate throws on a line. Mac is lofting screen passes.

Reaction Score
Agreed. He was pretty good until last Sunday. The pressure rate on Sunday was insane, and yet we couldn't run the ball. If they want to move on, fine. I wanted a mobile QB, but honestly, all of the QBs from the first round of that draft except Lawrence are worse than Mac. My biggest complaint with Mac is that he doesn't put enough on the ball and doesn't seem to realize how quickly defenders close on a slow, lofted ball. That works great at Bama where Waddle and others were wide open. In the NFL has to rip those throws. Either he can't step in b/c pressure or he doesn't have the arm strength. Brady didn't have a cannon on deep balls, he lofted them, but he could make short and intermediate throws on a line. Mac is lofting screen passes.
Just for conversation, as an outsider that admittedly hates the Patriots.

2020 - Brady left and the plan was to see what Stidham could do. He couldn't win the job and they brought in Cam Newton. Stidham played in portions of 5 games, did not start.

2021 - Mac is drafted and starts games. 23 TD, 17 INT, 3,801 yds.
2022 - He starts 14 games, 14 TD, 11 INT, 2,997 yds. Zappe and Hoyer start the other games. Some fans want Zappe to take over.
2023 - Jones is benched in Game 4. 5 TD, 4 INT, 898 yds.

It looks like, to me, the Patriots (blame whoever you want) have screwed the pooch trying to replace Brady. Newton was a panic move when Stidham fell on his face. And Mac Jones hasn't really done anything in 2+ years. And trust me. If anyone knows failed QB moves, it's me. And he's one.

Reaction Score
Just for conversation, as an outsider that admittedly hates the Patriots.

2020 - Brady left and the plan was to see what Stidham could do. He couldn't win the job and they brought in Cam Newton. Stidham played in portions of 5 games, did not start.

2021 - Mac is drafted and starts games. 23 TD, 17 INT, 3,801 yds.
2022 - He starts 14 games, 14 TD, 11 INT, 2,997 yds. Zappe and Hoyer start the other games. Some fans want Zappe to take over.
2023 - Jones is benched in Game 4. 5 TD, 4 INT, 898 yds.

It looks like, to me, the Patriots (blame whoever you want) have screwed the pooch trying to replace Brady. Newton was a panic move when Stidham fell on his face. And Mac Jones hasn't really done anything in 2+ years. And trust me. If anyone knows failed QB moves, it's me. And he's one.
I mean, @HuskyHawk writes fan fiction for the Pats. No one doesn't think Mac is a problem. Or the WRs. Or the RB who is near the bottom of the league in yards after contact. He will soon come and say how great of a move getting JC Jackson is. I mean the praise of the JuJu signing and drafting a kicker in round 4 was good comedy during a quite spring/summer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom