The Official 2023 New England Patriots Thread | The Boneyard

The Official 2023 New England Patriots Thread

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wanted to make sure we have a thread for the coming year, and a very important off season. They are "looking at everything".
I predict:
  • Patricia will be gone or will slide into a defensive job if Mayo leaves (good chance)
  • Judge will be gone or will take over Special Teams. Cam Achord has to be fired.
  • Mac will be the starter, but a veteran will be signed. Maybe Jacoby Brisset, Andy Dalton. Probably not Jimmy $.
  • There will be an OC, probably O'Brien or Klingsbury, who was just fired.
  • D'Andre Hopkins may be signed.
  • Must get an OT via FA, trade or the draft. Possibly two of them.
  • Most of the FAs will be gone. Maybe bring back Jones, Peppers, Cajuste, Cardona. Harris and Myers if cheap enough.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Bill O'Brien interviewed, along with Nick Caley and Keenan McCardell. Another guy from the Cardinals too, evidently. Have to think it's O'Brien if he isn't too demanding, and if not McCardell.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Patricia and Judge should be sharing the water bucket. What’s upwith Fournette? A tight end would’ve nice

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Patricia and Judge should be sharing the water bucket. What’s upwith Fournette? A tight end would’ve nice
Fournette? No news on him I've seen.

Rumor is Bill O'Brien to be announced later today.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Looks like the organization is going to do what it can to improve the team. You know, because Patriots fans only care about winning, :rolleyes:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Looks like the organization is going to do what it can to improve the team. You know, because Patriots fans only care about winning, :rolleyes:

Not sure I understand the eye roll emoji. This was essential and such an obvious move for all parties involved. I'm feeling good about 2023.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Not sure I understand the eye roll emoji. This was essential and such an obvious move for all parties involved. I'm feeling good about 2023.
A poster a couple months ago intimated that the Patriots are the only franchise/program with fans who only care about winning, intimating that all of their fans are fairweather as of 2001 and don't follow/support them when they lose.

I'm feeling good about 2023 as well. Now, if only Anybody-but-Snyder controls the WFT, I won't know how to react. Whoever the next owner is needs to take a lesson from Kraft, be mostly hands off the player personnel and on filed ops aspect, and leave running the team to people who know how.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
A poster a couple months ago intimated that the Patriots are the only franchise/program with fans who only care about winning, intimating that all of their fans are fairweather as of 2001 and don't follow/support them when they lose.

I'm feeling good about 2023 as well. Now, if only Anybody-but-Snyder controls the WFT, I won't know how to react. Whoever the next owner is needs to take a lesson from Kraft, be mostly hands off the player personnel and on filed ops aspect, and leave running the team to people who know how.
Al Davis was probably the only owner I can remember who had any business being involved in those decisions. They all have some input, because players affect the marketability of the team.

I'm excited about O'Brien and hope be brings some of what Alabama did to New England. I don't just want the old, overly complex Patriots offense. It needs a refresh for sure. Receivers had a brutal time digesting the pre-snap reads and route adjustments in the old offense. That's why Miami canned Chad O'Shea, it was just too hard for most players.

Reaction Score
When was the last time the Jets had better odds to win the SB?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
When was the last time the Jets had better odds to win the SB?

The notion that the Patriots are worse next year than the Saints, Jets, Vegas, Tampa, Cleveland and Denver is pretty absurd. That 60/1 is a solid bet.

Husky25

Reaction Score
This is some good work from Andrew Callahan, and shows just how messed up things were.
I was listening to it being discussed this morning on EEI. Sure didn't sound good. Does O'Brien cure all? Perhaps, but there is a lot of other work to be done in the locker and position rooms as well as on the field.

Step 1 is to relocate Joe Judge's office to the other side of the complex from Mac Jones...either that or procure a couple pair of Everlast gloves and let them go at it once and for all.

Reaction Score
The notion that the Patriots are worse next year than the Saints, Jets, Vegas, Tampa, Cleveland and Denver is pretty absurd. That 60/1 is a solid bet.
Well you’ll have to see whose QBing some of those teams, so given that uncertainty sure. However, I don’t know how you can say the Pats with Mac Jones is demonstrably better than any of those teams.

If the Browns and Pats wins totals were equal I’d take the Browns o before the Patriots. They were separated by 1 game this year and that was with Brissett for 12 games. Watson now has an entire offseason to actually practice with the team. Although so much of this can change with free agency, draft, ect.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Well you’ll have to see whose QBing some of those teams, so given that uncertainty sure. However, I don’t know how you can say the Pats with Mac Jones is demonstrably better than any of those teams.

If the Browns and Pats wins totals were equal I’d take the Browns o before the Patriots. They were separated by 1 game this year and that was with Brissett for 12 games. Watson now has an entire offseason to actually practice with the team. Although so much of this can change with free agency, draft, ect.
Patriots finished about 6th in defense and dead last in field position for the opponent, with the worst punt team in the league (by a huge margin) and an offense that went 3 and out. I think the talent on offense is much better than the results, so with O'Brien, I expect Mac to be a top 15 QB. The defense, with better kicking and offense, is going to be wrecking crew level. Uche really came into his own late, and Barmore missed half the season. I think it's a top 2-3 defense. As for the QBs, yes, Jones is better than "who knows who my QB is", and I don't think there's a free agent QB better than Jones unless Lamar hits the market.

Reaction Score
Patriots finished about 6th in defense and dead last in field position for the opponent, with the worst punt team in the league (by a huge margin) and an offense that went 3 and out. I think the talent on offense is much better than the results, so with O'Brien, I expect Mac to be a top 15 QB. The defense, with better kicking and offense, is going to be wrecking crew level. Uche really came into his own late, and Barmore missed half the season. I think it's a top 2-3 defense. As for the QBs, yes, Jones is better than "who knows who my QB is", and I don't think there's a free agent QB better than Jones unless Lamar hits the market.
Well clearly you are banking on a massive improvement from your QB and a uptick in your defenses performance despite going from the 20th SOS to the 3rd SOS in 2023. I will grant you preseason SOS rankings do not always hold much weight, Giants went from projected 32nd SOS before the year to the 6th at the end of the year.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No it's not. If it is, go plunk down 100.00 on DraftKings and put your money where your mouth is.
Not legal yet in Mass. Hopefully soon.

Reaction Score
Not legal yet in Mass. Hopefully soon.
If the rumors of Rodgers to the Jets, and/or Brady and Vic Fangio to the Dolphins become true you can get that ticket at 80/1.

Reaction Score
If the rumors of Rodgers to the Jets, and/or Brady and Vic Fangio to the Dolphins become true you can get that ticket at 80/1.
First half of the Brady/Fangio combo deal done.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Provided Brady stays retired, 11/12 falls on a Sunday and would be the perfect time for the Patriots to retire his number. If the Patriots are away, on a bye, or scheduled to play on Monday, the NFL will confirm what has long been suspected: It has no collective soul.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Provided Brady stays retired, 11/12 falls on a Sunday and would be the perfect time for the Patriots to retire his number. If the Patriots are away, on a bye, or scheduled to play on Monday, the NFL will confirm what has long been suspected: It has no collective soul.

They'll probably be in Germany

The more interesting piece is a one day contract for Tom to retire as a Patriot. Kraft wants it to happen.

Reaction Score
I gotta admit 1 day contracts are a cheesy concept. It’s just signing a piece of paper and giving a lame interview in a press conference, it’s one big dog and pony show.

I mean I get it it’s a business move and bringing Brady back into the fold is smart in a business sense, time does heal all wounds.

Reaction Score
I gotta admit 1 day contracts are a cheesy concept. It’s just signing a piece of paper and giving a lame interview in a press conference, it’s one big dog and pony show.

I mean I get it it’s a business move and bringing Brady back into the fold is smart in a business sense, time does heal all wounds.
You can sign a one day contract all you want. He retired a Buc.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You can sign a one day contract all you want. He retired a Buc.

Technically, Brady's contractual obligation with Tampa expired as a matter of course. He retired a free agent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom