Tennessee | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Warlick was the right hire at the time. I think she deserved the chance for the job. It's too bad that she ended up not being a good fit.

I'm sure I'll get grief from VN for this, but...I was not a fan of hiring Kellie. She was a journeyman coach without a stellar CV. She had that one good run with MoSt to the S16, but that was really the highlight of her career. That accomplishment should have set her up as a candidate for an up-and-coming P5, but not Tennessee. They should have gone big and went for either one of the current coaching greats, or a HC that was on their way to becoming great. And they should have been prepared to pay top dollar for it the way LSU and Texas did.

Whenever the time comes that a new coach is to be hired, I hope that they have "best coach, period." as their top priority.
It was strange to hire someone at Tennessee that had already flunked a P5 chance.

Reaction Score
As I have written a few times, not too many teams save SC, Stanford, UConn could have played the same schedule as Tenn and done much better than 2-4. I mean tOSU, Indiana and UCLA are all very good. The first 2 are every bit worthy of a top 8 ranking and UCLA is somewhere in 10-16 range. Add in a well-coached Gonzaga team whose own coach will get a P5 job sooner rather than later. As @amb3096 has said, the remaining SEC schedule will allow for Tenn to rack up good Quadrant 1 wins but is also right that to make progress in the NCAAT, they will have to be a few top teams at some point.

We'll see but I think 2-4 is 2-4 and suggests they'll lose conference games that looked like wins on paper.

I give them lots of credit for scheduling though. I don't think the losses hurt them much, but it think it maybe shows the blueprint.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think the worst bit was after the buzzer sounded and the game was over. Rickea Jackson stomped her feet, walked past teammate Tamari Key’s outstretched hand, and went straight off the court to the locker room. No looking at the coach, no high-fiving a teammate, and no sportsmanship of good games to Gonzaga after.
Walker probably should have passed the ball but Jackson's reaction and her body language are not good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not a good look by Jackson. Don’t show up your teammates. Yes, she should have passed it. After the travel call, RJ blew the put back bunny though. I know that it wouldn’t have counted, but maybe that’s why JW took it to the basket. ??Glad that Geno doesn’t allow that nonsense. What Geno would love and what I see UCONN doing is what Puckett did. She went over and patted Walker on the back. Sorta like a “Pick Me Up Bouquet”. :D

Reaction Score
Walker probably should have passed the ball but Jackson's reaction and her body language are not good.

This feels more like a trolling tweet by BallOut more than anything to me. What good does this do? And in the end, the clip used also shows Jackson more in a negative light and furthers that narrative that she's about herself. Hurts more than helps in the end.

Reaction Score
That's been a problem with Powell and Walker all season. They don't look to pass on fast breaks. Rickea's frustration was justified, but she probably could have just given a stern look and Walker could have diffused that with the typical "pat chest and say 'my bad'

Reaction Score
That's been a problem with Powell and Walker all season. They don't look to pass on fast breaks. Rickea's frustration was justified, but she probably could have just given a stern look and Walker could have diffused that with the typical "pat chest and say 'my bad'
That’s a huge problem when you’re not good at finishing. Was Walker like that last season? I can’t remember.

Reaction Score
Not a good look by Jackson. Don’t show up your teammates. Yes, she should have passed it. After the travel call, RJ blew the put back bunny though. I know that it wouldn’t have counted, but maybe that’s why JW took it to the basket. ??Glad that Geno doesn’t allow that nonsense. What Geno would love and what I see UCONN doing is what Puckett did. She went over and patted Walker on the back. Sorta like a “Pick Me Up Bouquet”. :D
I kind of get Rickea's frustration on this one. Walker made an easy fastbreak difficult for nothing. And I think it points to why Tennessee is having a rough time right now. Not enough assists and too much one-on-one. The defense knows the ball handler probably isn't going to give it up. I wonder how many charges TN has been called for.

Reaction Score
That’s a huge problem when you’re not good at finishing. Was Walker like that last season? I can’t remember.
Walker has been all over the place. Sometimes she's confident and sometimes she just looks dejected. She looks checked out this year.

Reaction Score
I agree, but I think someone needed to rip the TN point guards a new one. At this point, by any means necessary short of throwing blows.

Reaction Score
Great points. Both players were frustrated. They just should have hidden it better.

Reaction Score
She was, unfortunately. Plays really, really hard...but her court awareness/decision making is not good.

Reaction Score
I agree, but I think someone needed to rip the TN point guards a new one. At this point, by any means necessary short of throwing blows.
It's been going on all season. Coaches need to be the one to fix that.

Reaction Score
When the season started. Heck before the season started, with the talent that Tennessee had, I penciled them in for the Final Four. Coach Harper is a pretty decent coach. I figured if the players bought in, listened, put their egos on the back burner, the Lady Vols were going to be a tough match up. Right now, they are struggling. But the cool part, there is still time for them to figure things out.

Reaction Score
When the season started. Heck before the season started, with the talent that Tennessee had, I penciled them in for the Final Four. Coach Harper is a pretty decent coach. I figured if the players bought in, listened, put their egos on the back burner, the Lady Vols were going to be a tough match up. Right now, they are struggling. But the cool part, there is still time for them to figure things out.

Helps that the SEC is weak this year. They'll win most of their games there and hopefully pick up a surprise win against Stanford, UConn or SC. They need to get back to basics.

Reaction Score
Helps that the SEC is weak this year. They'll win most of their games there and hopefully pick up a surprise win against Stanford, UConn or SC. They need to get back to basics.
You just said that the SEC is weak this year? Interesting. My view is, SEC is going to be a battle royal if teams are not on their A game. Some teams are going to get tagged. Sleep on Auburn or Vandy if you want too. They might shock a few teams in the SEC.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There’s still a question mark about pg, but this is a substantial collection of talent. They ought to be able to make a run. Rickea brings one thing they lost last season, a quick big girl. The cost of being so tall across the lineup has always been slow feet, but that’s not true anymore. A healthy Horston and Rickea make a formidable offensive pair.
It is? How is it a substantial collection of talent? Horston and Jackson were top 5 recruits coming out of HS. I watched Pissot play this summer and was shocked she skyrocketed up to 11 in ESPN's rankings. she's more a 25-30 kid, but that's just my opinion.

Every other recruit on that team was outside the top 40 coming out of HS. Except Hollingshead who was 37. Key was 47. Powell was 73. Most of the recruits for Tennessee who Harper landed were in the 40's or 50's. It's a solid team but not a team filled with a substantial collection of talent.

BTW I'm not picking on you - TONS of people, including the so-called experts - were giddy at Tennessee's prospects this season given "all their talent".

I will admit that Horston and Jackson are individually talented, and Powell is MUCH better than her ranking coming out of HS. But you have a team that actually seems to have negative chemistry, 2 alpha-dog players who don't seem to want to co-exist together, zero offensive teaching over the summer or the 1st 2 months of the season, and this is what you get.

IMHO Tennessee has some nice pieces. I always thought they were a top 20'ish team. And for the record, I think UCONN, Stanford, SC, ND, and maybe LSU and Arizona have substantial collections of talent. Just my $.02...

Reaction Score
How is it a substantial collection of talent?
Looks like we hear different nuances in the word substantial. The core of Horston and Key is for real. Jackson is an excellent addition, at least on paper. Dye is a genuine talent and a leading personality.

And I agree that their talent pool doesn’t quite compare to that of the current top 3. These teams are stellar. Tennessee is merely substantial. They probably belong somewhere in the top 25, and will probably settle in somewhere around 12-15 in a few months. Here’s a thought experiment to gauge this: Cardoso or Prechdel could take Key’s place on Tennessee and there’d be no fall off in play. Shaylee Gonzalez could probably start at pg for them and they’d be better for it. Or consider Amihere — she comes off the bench at SC but would be the main talent at Tennessee. By extension, I’m not sure I’d prefer Dye to Aaliyah Moore, or even Mwenentanda, much less Jada Boyd.

I also give Tennessee credit for not having a purely cream puff schedule. We could fault Stanford, for example, for this, other than playing SC. Taking this into account, Tennessee is not as bad as the Portal Patchwork Power Five teams, who could look good for awhile only by playing cream puffs. They played a series of medium level teams and their incoherence as a team was exposed. But they’ll gel soon enough and won’t lose to these teams again. They may look pathetic now, but this won’t last.

November has always been a disruptive month, and this has been exaggerated in the era of portal madness. Sportswriters have been slow to recognize this. As a result, we got a lot of very unrealistic rankings to start the season. I think it was possible to anticipate a lot of the so-called upsets this month, if folks had given more weight to the value of continuity. But credulity was the order of the day at the AP and ESPN.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tenn has had problems for a long time. During the late years of Pat there were problems. Pat seemed to be able to keep them out of the media. The administration is not behind the Lady Vols. They are behind the football team and the mens BB team. What Pat built is no longer and the fans expectations are still living within them that Tenn is a top WCBB team. They are no longer and wont be until they can rebuild with a coach who wants to rebuild the program without the support of the board and administration. Basically working with nothing and starting from scratch.

Reaction Score
You just said that the SEC is weak this year? Interesting. My view is, SEC is going to be a battle royal if teams are not on their A game. Some teams are going to get tagged. Sleep on Auburn or Vandy if you want too. They might shock a few teams in the SEC.
I think the SEC is pretty far down this year. Aside from SC and possibly LSU they are pretty weak. Even if they don't improve TN should be in the top four just from a talent perspective.

Reaction Score
I think the SEC is pretty far down this year. Aside from SC and possibly LSU they are pretty weak. Even if they don't improve TN should be in the top four just from a talent perspective.
I understand. It is going to be a very interesting season in the SEC.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
1669249183497.png

Wow. Not good is an understatement.

Reaction Score
I once again made the mistake of watching the vlog of one of the Herhoopstats writers and was struck by this self-serving observation: "When will the upset madness end?" Naturally, Tennessee was the prime example.

It's not madness at all, or even all that unpredictable. But if you're one of those writers who was dazzled by absurd fantasies about all the teams who resorted liberally to the portal it seems that way. So many of them had convinced themselves that these teams would be formidable right away. It's not just that corrupt behemoth, ESPN. It's all of them who voted top 10 rankings to teams that were scarcely as unified as a jellyfish or a sack of cats.

For the good of WCBB, we need just a little bit more sanity from the tribe of sports writers. Will we get it any time soon? Probably not. But the rest of us know that well-coached teams with a culture of camaraderie and leadership will outperform less-well-coached teams composed of more talented (on paper, at least) players. This isn't rocket surgery, people. Stop pretending that WCBB is unpredictable, madness even.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I am still predicting that Georgia will win a ton of games and will be a team that absolutely no one in the SEC enjoys playing. Coach Abe has a veteran squad, including some key players who followed her over from UCF, and she gets tremendous buy-in from her team.

But beyond that, other than LSU and SC, virtually every other SEC team that has made an NCAA tournament in recent years looks less impressive than last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom