Tennessee Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Postgame Thread

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think tonight's game might be a turning point for this team. They learned how to win. They hustled played relentless defense.
I agree that maybe this game could be a turning point and that is why I am not looking forward to Monday's game...playing against WNBA players in an exhibition game...now that might get ugly and I hope it is taken by the team in the right way: play like it is a real game, but in the end, remember that you are playing against top professionals.
But I am getting ahead of this thread.....

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
When we overwhelmed Tulsa with good shooting and some beautiful BB
We collectively hoped that the slump (if that's what it was) was over and that we could sit back and enjoy
UConn BB.

Tonight began in the bad, old style...truly woeful shooting from the Husky's, not much aggression from Liv, not enough movement to compensate.

It was not that the Lady Vols did much; even in the first half; they were ready for the taking....but if you're missing everything and standing around, not much positive can be expected.

Then the fire dept. came in, the defense was stifling and the Vols wilted.

Geno can be proud of the win against a "good team:" (questionable)
But against the best teams, such an effort won't do
And part of the solution is giving the "kiddie corps" a longer leash.

Reaction Score
I agree that maybe this game could be a turning point and that is why I am not looking forward to Monday's game...playing against WNBA players in an exhibition game...now that might get ugly and I hope it is taken by the team in the right way: play like it is a real game, but in the end, remember that you are playing against top professionals.
They’ll be fine

Reaction Score
When we battled up to being down 3 at halftime, I told my wife, "The dogs are going bunny hunting," and Chrystyn got two quick baskets after halftime. And then our small lineup outrebounded the orange giants...couldn't be much prouder of the total effort.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno in his pregame presser made it very clear that the game Monday is an exhibition, in which he has no expectation that UConn can win. He described it as the Harlem Globetrotters vs the Washington Generals. I think everyone will play and have fun, without any pressure.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Assists have a lot to do with shooting percentages, so when you see the team shooting 30% you can be pretty sure that they left half the assists out on the floor with missed shots. 17 offensive rebounds = 10+ put backs with no chance of an assist as well.
Good point. Thanks for bringing that up. However, if I am not mistaken, we shot consistently poor the whole game, but our assisted baskets changed from virtually none at the start, with all the starters, to actually a decent ratio once the freshmen played a major role in the game. I am not deterred in thinking that our most experienced players attempt too much of a burden when the going gets tough ... but games like this may adjust their thinking enough come tournament time.

Reaction Score
Was it an ugly game? Kinda, but not entirely. For UT it was ugly, four quarters worth. Their turnover numbers were inexcusable, good D or not, and their second half was mailed in.

More of a mixed bag for Uconn. The third quarter was super duper entertaining and took all the heart out of TN. The other three quarters were meh. All we needed to do in the fourth quarter was score a few points and hang on - mission accomplished. This isn't a team that executes pretty back doors or nice jumpers off screens on a consistent basis, something we are used to seeing. But they are good enough to beat 98% of the teams in the country, which is saying something.

Meg's and Christyn's shooting...tough to watch. As the game went on both seem resigned that their shots wouldn't go down. Both did some nice things otherwise, but not the game they wanted or we wanted to see.

ONO played ok when in, better in the second half. Hardly dominating but adequate. She got some nice rebounds and most of Uconn's points in the fourth quarter. There has been hope that she would be a scorer from outside the paint, and she does make a few outside shots, but her shooting looks awkward, including at the foul line. Dirk Nowitzki she ain't.

Griff and Anna did themselves proud. Both should and will see plenty of floor time for the rest of the season. Griff is likely to get her extra minutes from Christyn and Ono, and Anna from Kyla.

Griff gets her own paragraph. That kid really wants to dominate on both the O and D end of the floor and is beginning to get the hang of that. Next year there will be more players that can help her do all the things she can do so well and double doubles will pile up.

All in all we won and beat TN. I would have been just miserable had we lost. Don't want to lose to TN or ND, now or ever.

Reaction Score
When the offense doesn’t produce, you need a good defense. With Anna and Aubrey starting second half we held Tennessee to 14 points. Nothing butt ugly about that. Repeat 14.
When the offense doesn’t produce, you need a good defense. With Anna and Aubrey starting second half we held Tennessee to 14 points. Nothing butt ugly about that. Repeat 14.
Megan's defense in the post was critical.

Reaction Score
I posted this in the badass thread...

In the postgame presser, coach Harper was asked about the play of Aubrey and she said Aubrey had a lot of success because she played hard, but also because UT was not focusing on her and she got a few trash baskets (her words).

Reaction Score

In the postgame presser, coach Harper was asked about the play of Aubrey and she said Aubrey had a lot of success because she played hard, but also because UT was not focusing on her and she got a few trash baskets (her words).
Nice!

So if they’re not focusing on you, then polite protocol is not to exploit that - just back off and let your more ‘focused-on’ teammates fight through the double teams?

Trash baskets. Got it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

A few “trash baskets” don’t begin to describe the impact she had on this game.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Tennessee game:
  • That was one of the ugliest games I’ve seen since the OBE days playing Rutgers in that bandbox in New Brunswick. But any win over the LV’s is a beautiful thing,
  • TN is the kind of team that UConn would have blown out of the gym last year. In the first half, TN had 13 baskets and 15 turnovers, and the Huskies were still down 3. But this appears to be who the Huskies are right now.
  • Yet another grind-it-out game for the Huskies. Certainly, the LV’s length had something to do with it, but there is no getting around it, UConn just has to shoot the ball better when they get open looks. Crystal, Megan & Anna all hit some key shots, but none of them had particularly good shooting games. Christyn can’t seem to buy a mid-range jumper, which is baffling, because we know she’s capable of making those shots.
  • Thank goodness for Aubrey’s energy, defense and hustle. When Liv went out, I thought the game could get away from us, but Aubrey was unbelievable, earning the second half start, where she just kept making one play after another. Spoiler Alert!!! Aubrey was B.A.
  • Clearly, Liv had something to prove in the second half. She played tough and she played motivated like she was ready for an alley fight. Message received?
  • Now LV & UConn fans have a full year to get pumped up for next season’s rematch in Knoxville. Both teams should be considerably better next year.
Some thoughts on the Tennessee game:
  • That was one of the ugliest games I’ve seen since the OBE days playing Rutgers in that bandbox in New Brunswick. But any win over the LV’s is a beautiful thing,
  • TN is the kind of team that UConn would have blown out of the gym last year. In the first half, TN had 13 baskets and 15 turnovers, and the Huskies were still down 3. But this appears to be who the Huskies are right now.
  • Yet another grind-it-out game for the Huskies. Certainly, the LV’s length had something to do with it, but there is no getting around it, UConn just has to shoot the ball better when they get open looks. Crystal, Megan & Anna all hit some key shots, but none of them had particularly good shooting games. Christyn can’t seem to buy a mid-range jumper, which is baffling, because we know she’s capable of making those shots.
  • Thank goodness for Aubrey’s energy, defense and hustle. When Liv went out, I thought the game could get away from us, but Aubrey was unbelievable, earning the second half start, where she just kept making one play after another. Spoiler Alert!!! Aubrey was B.A.
  • Clearly, Liv had something to prove in the second half. She played tough and she played motivated like she was ready for an alley fight. Message received?
  • Now LV & UConn fans have a full year to get pumped up for next season’s rematch in Knoxville. Both teams should be considerably better next year.
My take - I believe the difference in this game was Geno. Tennessee has some very good players, UConn has some very good players, Tennessee has an average coach, UConn has the best coach in WBB and in my opinion coaching won this game.

Reaction Score
I don't know why people are continued to be surprised by CW shooting. CW is really not that great of a shooter. Her mechanic is not that good, she tends to push the ball more than using her wrist, and when the timing is on she can have a good shooting day, but not in general. She needs to go take a lesson from Azzi Fudd.
And if Azzi is not available, I'm sure Elmer could fill in nicely.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I'm still mentally exhausted. As a UConn fan, very exciting, and an exhilarating win over a "rival," though it was a win over a team ranked 23 by the #3 ranked team. But not really a game to be proud of. According to ESPN, UConn's winning shooting percentage was last below 32% in 2004. The beginning of Q3 had some dreadful shooting; if I was watching any other women's basketball game I would have changed channels. This heavily publicized game, shown on the main ESPN channel did no favors for women's basketball.

CD carried the team in the first half, then she ran out of gas; hope she isn't going into a slump, because she has been one of the most consistent of the players. Griffin was very impressive in the second half, a one-player chaos machine. It was as if she gave the Vols the game equivalent of a nervous breakdown. However, this was her first breakout game; pump the brakes. Anna, on the other hand, has been pretty consistent over several games -- she ended up subbing for Kyla for most of the game & contributed to the UConn counterattack in the second half. Megan hit some key 3s & did good defensive work in the absence of Olivia, but was unreliable on layups. Kudos to Olivia for doing some damage when she returned in Q4; in some ways fortunate she got 2 fouls fairly early in the first half. Being on the bench may have helped her strong showing in Q4; she was certainly the most rested of the players who closed the game. Christyn seems to have the yips in her shooting attempts (though she hit 2 3s against Tulsa), but she made some key rebounds and seems to have regained her layup touch. I wouldn't relegate her to the bench quite yet.

For the team as a whole, the moment seemed to have more of an effect on UConn; the tightness I suspect was largely psychological. Liked the second half since it was more of a team effort, despite Crystal's heroics in the first half. Vols played a little scatter-brained (27 TOs!) and might have made the UConn defense seem better than it was -- but no doubt the smaller Connecticut players were not intimidated by the Tenn size -- a good test for them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bottom line. Griffin needs more minutes, Williams needs fewer minutes, Irwin shouldn’t be playing against tough opponents. Six players; that’s all this team has this season when it really matters. Makurat needs to be on the floor 38-40 minutes; she gets better every game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom