Tennessee Postgame Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Last time I looked, the UConn game thread on VolNation was approaching 1000 posts. Not sure there is that much to discuss about any game but gives indication on the focus this game had at Tenn.
One aspect of VolNation that is different than the BY, is that in game comments appear on the game thread, as opposed to the Chat page on the BY. Nevertheless, your observation is correct. LV fans appear to have an incredible amount to say about the game with our Huskies.

It reminds me of a comment by noted Cival War historian, Shelby Foote, from Mississippi, on the difference between the way that Northerners and Southerners viewed the war many years later. “When you win a war you go on about your life. When you lose a war it stays with you forever.”

Reaction Score
Last time I looked, the UConn game thread on VolNation was approaching 1000 posts. Not sure there is that much to discuss about any game but gives indication on the focus this game had at Tenn.
Many of those posts were in game comments, many of which were derogatory jibes directed at virtually every Tennessee player.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
One aspect of VolNation that is different than the BY, is that in game comments appear on the game thread, as opposed to the Chat page on the BY. Nevertheless, your observation is correct. LV fans appear to have an incredible amount to say about the game with our Huskies.

It reminds me of a comment by noted Cival War historian, Shelby Foote, from Mississippi, on the difference between the way that Northerners and Southerners viewed the war many years later. “When you win a war you go on about your life. When you lose a war it stays with you forever.”
Having now lived in Alabama for 34 years, I can heartily attest to Mr. Foote's keen observation. The civil war is over and done in the North; but it continues on as a living ,breathing thing among many here in the Deep South.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Like some of you who have been posting, I went to the game last night and have a few observations that have not been noted yet, some significant, some not as much.
1. There were a lot of LV fans there, more than I would ever expect to wear that color to a game. All were very nice that I met.
2. Before the game, Geno and Kellie were talking quite a bit to each other and CD and Shea made efforts to hug and talk to Kellie as well. Nice to see.
3. TN led 26-18 at the 6:15 mark of the 2nd quarter (26 points in 13:45 minutes played) and only scored 19 points in 26:45 the rest of the game. The team on the floor was Aubrey, Anna, CW, CD and MW. They started the second half as well.
4. At the half, Geno had to do a Pat Foundation check presentation so he was animated talking to CD when the rest of the team went into the locker room. His finger was wagging up and down at CD and gestures to the Locker as if to say "tell the team that xxx and yyy and NOT ". This went on for a minute plus. They then did a nice check presentation of $10,000 from UConn to the Pat Summit Foundation where it was noted Geno was the first coach to donate to it when it was founded. Kellie Jolly Harper also took part in the ceremony.
5. UConn was late coming back onto the Floor with just over 2 minutes left of the intermission. Normally teams come out with 5 min left to do shooting.
6. The half time show was THE RED PANDA and her 8 foot Unicycle and bowl catching act! Pretty cool.
7. When Key picked up her 5th foul and left the game, KJH spent significant time talking to her, calming her down and calmly pointing and showing her on the floor items. That was nice to see and you did see Key calm down after that, nod her head and go to the bench.
8. While we have a really good freshman class coming in (understatement) and Tennessee does not, TN will have Zay Green back who is arguably their second best player after Davis. TN should be improved next year with her.
I have no idea who Zaay Green is but while Adam Amin was talking about her, the camera was on a TN player wearing a white shirt and wearing the diaper style uniform shorts. She was sitting on the left end of the bench. Adam said that Zaay tore her ACL in the second game of the season but this person was running along the bench after TN made a 3. She had no brace on and was moving with ease. Was this actually the person that Adam was speaking of?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Having had time to review the stats, it is apparent how our poor shooting affected the final score. Uconn had the advantage in turnovers, points in the paint, second chance points, fast breaks, and bench points. We even had more rebounds than a far taller Tennessee squad. And we had 10 points on free throws vs their 2 on a nearly identical number of fouls recorded. If we shoot better than 31.5 % this would have been the blowout so many Boneyarders expected.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If I recall, I saw somewhere that the 14 second half points scored by TN was the lowest for a half (maybe 2nd half only ?) in team history. Holly must be jealous. That was an attainable record. ;)

Reaction Score
If that had been Crystal Dangerfield or CW the refs would have called the foul on them. It seems only the bigs get away with the undercutting. Liv went straight up and Horston kinda undercut.

In Stewie’s first year, ND got called for a foul in a similar situation. Stewie went up and someone backed her into the sideline. But the refs in that game were the best in the business.

Last night’s crew was bad but, as often happens, they were equal opportunity offenders.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I have no idea who Zaay Green is but while Adam Amin was talking about her, the camera was on a TN player wearing a white shirt and wearing the diaper style uniform shorts. She was sitting on the left end of the bench. Adam said that Zaay tore her ACL in the second game of the season but this person was running along the bench after TN made a 3. She had no brace on and was moving with ease. Was this actually the person that Adam was speaking of?
Zarielle Green is #10 on the 2018 HoopGurlz list and is a legitimate player. She averaged 26 min and 9.6 points on a dysfunction TN team last year.

Reaction Score
On the Kyla - starting seniors over freshman isn't that unusual for Geno - and he has said the ball just seems to move better with her in the game. I know she isn't putting up stats, but keeping rhythm on offense is one of this teams issues and I think she helps. I remember CD2 starting her final year even though she was a shadow of what she had been, but she knew the Uconn game better than anyone else.
Or, Pam Weber starting over Nykesha Sales, playing 5 minutes or so before Nykesha came in.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Wanted to stop by and congratulate Husky nation.....Ya'll played an excellent second half, ours did not. Best of luck in the future.
Thanks Vol fan. Appreciate the southern graciousness. However be warned. Not every Husky team is going to clunk so many wide open jumpers, nor will they shoot so poorly from 3. I for one hope this series never ends. This is the best rivalry in WCBB. Next time we meet be prepared for a team with a whole new spit shine.

Reaction Score
While this game showed off Geno's coaching skills - changing line ups, inserting new defense on the fly, etc. - I hesitate criticizing TN coach's skill. While I cringe anytime I say a kind word about anything TN related, have watched several SEC women's games on TV and have to give Kelly credit for quickly rebuilding a terrible program. I watched the TN/UConn history evolve so understand this game's hype but its been many years since a barely ranked team wasn't blown out by UConn, particularly if the game was at UConn. TN is a young team with little upper classmen leadership but is competitive every game. Good young coach we likely will see a lot of in future.

I have to respectfully disagree. TN appeared to me playing as they always have with pressure D and “chuck-and-rebound” O.

This can’t all be placed on their new coach. She inherited the traditional TN athletes: hugely athletic but not terrifically talented basketball players.

That’s what made our poor shooting so hard for me to watch. I’m glad we won but we didn’t have a great opponent. On the other hand, the games we gut out will absolutely help to build the confidence to shoot better.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't know why people are continued to be surprised by CW shooting. CW is really not that great of a shooter. Her mechanic is not that good, she tends to push the ball more than using her wrist, and when the timing is on she can have a good shooting day, but not in general. She needs to go take a lesson from Azzi Fudd.
Probably because she shot 50%/37%/74% last year..as a Freshman.

Reaction Score
If that had been Crystal Dangerfield or CW the refs would have called the foul on them. It seems only the bigs get away with the undercutting. Liv went straight up and Horston kinda undercut.
I agree...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I stand by my statement that CW by January, 2021 will have a hard time getting anywhere near as many minutes. Aubrey is playing very well and will get better. Ania is improving in each game. Evina will be ready. Paige will be pushing the upper classmen. And I believe Muhl will be a very pleasant surprise for most. CW must make a huge jump next year.
I am going to hold you to that. I will bring this back next year and we'll see how you did.

My conjecture is that she will be starting and getting plenty of minutes.

Reaction Score
I don't know why people are continued to be surprised by CW shooting. CW is really not that great of a shooter. Her mechanic is not that good, she tends to push the ball more than using her wrist, and when the timing is on she can have a good shooting day, but not in general. She needs to go take a lesson from Azzi Fudd.
The reason we are surprised ( at least my reason ) is that she was HS player of the year, two seasons ago. I think we all assume ( and it seems reasonable to do so ) that such a player must have a " complete game" on both offense and defense. Otherwise, just give her some other accolade. But the damn HS player of the year ought to be able to provide more offense than lay-ups!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Last year, Christyn was second only to Pheesa, shooting right around 50% from the floor,, 37% from 3 and 74% from the FT line. All her numbers are down this season. Her shot does look a little flat to me, so I'm not discounting a problem with mechanics, but she is a much better shooter than we've seen.
Finally someone called him on such a ludicrous comment.
Actually oldude beat me too it. I responded before I saw his post.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Sounds like the really "engaged" fans took the opportunity to vent. :mad: Heh heh heh.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Yes, that was Zaay they were showing. She tore her ACL in practice after the 2nd game of the season. Was our leading scorer at the time and expected to contribute big this season, next best scoring option after Rennia. She had surgery quickly after and has been rehabbing non-stop since. She is moving well and has been cleared to shoot free throws with the team as of last week. Seems to be progressing quickly but will be out the rest of the season. It was a big loss for us...she’s extremely quick, a good defensive guard and has a good pull up jumper. Would have taken a lot of pressure off Jordan to be the next best scoring option.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Having now lived in Alabama for 34 years, I can heartily attest to Mr. Foote's keen observation. The civil war is over and done in the North; but it continues on as a living ,breathing thing among many here in the Deep South.

Many moons ago I had the misfortune of having to sue a Georgia RE developer in an Atlanta federal court over a deal he outright stole on a building in Philadelphia,PA. We quickly got the lead pipe from the judge who all but said "get Yankees" as he spit his tobacco into a styrafoam cup.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Many moons ago I had the misfortune of having to sue a Georgia RE developer in an Atlanta federal court over a deal he outright stole on a building in Philadelphia,PA. We quickly got the lead pipe from the judge who all but said "get Yankees" as he spit his tobacco into a styrafoam cup.
Don't you mean "git" vs. "get"? Are you sure it wasn't the Federal Spittoon bequeathed down from the previous judges ? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
some folks here were talking about coaches being offensive or defensive coaches the other day. and someone(s) spoke of Geno being more offensive-minded. Most people know that the best UConn teams have been outstanding defensive teams. For the first time in awhile, this team looked pretty good on defense last night. the half-court pressure used in the 2nd half really brought back fond memories of those past teams, especially the side-line trapping. when you think about it, this team does have players who have the ability to make that half-court pressure be very disruptive. Walker, Dangerfield, Williams, Makurat, and Griffin are not great on-ball defenders( well maybe Griffin is), but they each loves to anticipate and make steals, and each has quite a few this year. I think that makes for an ideal pressing group(sorry Kyla and Olivia), one that can turn a game around. There's nothing more exciting than watching a good pressing team disrupting the opponent, and turning games around.
I mentioned in a prior post that UConn could have an outstanding full court press next year with electrifying, ultra-athletic Mir McLean joining the fray. As a former coach, I envisioned a 2-2-1 full-court zone press - UCLA style - with Mir & Aubrey on top and Liv in the back protecting the rim. It goes without saying that we would be FEARED!
But I wonder who - if my vision became reality - would be the two players that play behind Mir&Aubrey in the 2-2-1 formation?
If Aaliyah fits in, the rebounding with Mir, AG, Liv & AE would be head-n-shoulders above the rest of the nation!
Oh well mebbe just a pipe dream but that's the way my [former] coach's mind works ;)

Reaction Score

Yup. that was her. I was like, if she keeps that up, she's gonna tear her ACL again. (No I wasn't wishing on her. I wouldn't on anyone)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom