Tennessee Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Postgame Thread

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The biggest thing I took away from this mistake filled game was AG and her defense. Thought her intensity to defending and rebounding raised the energy of the upperclassmen who often play lazy on the defensive end.

Liv was very clear on this point. She said, Aubrey changed the energy of the team. She said when you see your team mate playing so hard, you have to bring your own effort up.

Reaction Score
Just spent too much time reading posts on LVNation on game. I now know why Evina left. Congrats to boneyard posters for actually supporting our players. Class tells.

I was just about to post the same thing. I was SHOCKED at the comments I was reading over there. One poster literally called the LV players "fat." NO PLACE for that ever. Thank goodness this board has some class. Just awful. I hope the LV players don't ever see the horrible things the "fans" write over there. Terrible and disgusting. IF anyone ever posted over here like that I would be lobbying the admins to delete their account permanently. I know none of us would though!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was just about to post the same thing. I was SHOCKED at the comments I was reading over there. One poster literally called the LV players "fat." NO PLACE for that ever. Thank goodness this board has some class. Just awful. I hope the LV players don't ever see the horrible things the "fans" write over there. Terrible.

not a hard stretch to guess what environment Evina may have been experiencing at TN as the player pegged to bring them to the promised land. :mad:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't know why people are continued to be surprised by CW shooting. CW is really not that great of a shooter. Her mechanic is not that good, she tends to push the ball more than using her wrist, and when the timing is on she can have a good shooting day, but not in general. She needs to go take a lesson from Azzi Fudd.

Speaking of Azzi Fudd, she sits atop my wish list of potential recruits. There are others, but she’s number 1. I sincerely hope SHE is the next coveted recruit to verbal to UConn. THAT would truly make my day!! :cool:

Reaction Score
I was just about to post the same thing. I was SHOCKED at the comments I was reading over there. One poster literally called the LV players "fat." NO PLACE for that ever. Thank goodness this board has some class. Just awful. I hope the LV players don't ever see the horrible things the "fans" write over there. Terrible and disgusting. IF anyone ever posted over here like that I would be lobbying the admins to delete their account permanently. I know none of us would though!
Agreed. Their kids, our kids are playing their hearts out. Even our non-stars get credit for their valuable contributions. Sure, we disagree on who should start, who should get more minutes, but we know cheers are better than jeers.

Reaction Score
Pretty simple. At least to me. When you hold a nationally-ranked team to 14 points in a half and go toe-to-toe with them - a MUCH taller team - on the boards, it takes a tremendous toll on your legs!
Wobbly legs make for poor shooting - 30% - need I say more?
IMHO, a better substitution pattern will ease fatigue and help immensely .. give 'em a breather.
So then, OFFENSE? or DEFENSE? what's it gonna be? which should we choose? can we have both?

They were shooting the ball poorly before they had their warmups even off, I don't think fatigue had much to do with their shooting woes today!

Reaction Score
Hmmmm! Not focusing on Aubrey. Something tells me the Tennessee staff did an incomplete scouting report on UConn. Aubrey's logged enough minutes so far to know what her impact can be. As I said earlier, UT had no idea how to handle Aubrey.

She wasn't really doing anything exotic, she was just working her tail off getting buckets off of rebounds and steals. Griffin's great game tonight had a lot more to do with desire, than with design!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Who said I didn't enjoy it? I love beating the LV's. What I'm really looking forward to is taking a trip over to VolNation to see what the RockyTop folks are saying....:cool:

OD, I can save you the trip, they’re all pissed. Heh heh heh. :D

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
OD, I can save you the trip, they’re all pissed. Heh heh heh. :D

No no no. You must visit.

It should be made into a movie, a study in the transition in the emotions. First 5 minutes, when they jumped to decent leads, they were on top of the world, rest of first half, cautiously optimistic. Half time, urging their beloved LV's to do god's work and beat UConn and then the 3Q when UConn slowly bust surely stole their souls. The mourning and sackcloth that followed as time ebbed slowly as reality really set in followed by laying blame all over,

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I agree that maybe this game could be a turning point and that is why I am not looking forward to Monday's game...playing against WNBA players in an exhibition game...now that might get ugly and I hope it is taken by the team in the right way: play like it is a real game, but in the end, remember that you are playing against top professionals.
But I am getting ahead of this thread.....
take it as an exhibition, play everybody alot, no injuries, on to the next real game.

Reaction Score
Who said I didn't enjoy it? I love beating the LV's. What I'm really looking forward to is taking a trip over to VolNation to see what the RockyTop folks are saying....:cool:

I started fresh this morning on VolNation, after 4 hours going through few threads, they are not taking any prisoners...not even Kelly Harper is safe in this one. I have to say though, I d
Gene’s age-old formula: Shots not going in? Play defense.

Tennessee scored 45 points. Nobody beats UConn scoring 45 points. Nobody. Ever.

Sounds like Town Fair Tire commercial. :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
take it as an exhibition, play everybody alot, no injuries, on to the next real game.

Geno's words exactly. No expectation of winning. Doubt they will do much if any scouting. Enjoy the game and use the time as a lesson to see how good you have to be to reach the next level

Carnac

Reaction Score
My thoughts:
  • Three best players on the court were Griffin, Anna, and Crystal
  • We had a terrible shooting night, just terrible. Most were decently open and outside of a few most were in control
  • The defense was very good all game, but especially second half.
  • The two freshman played amazingly well. Although Ann didn’t score as much as she probably could’ve her solid game against an athletic and long team bodes well for her against any team we play down the road as she becomes more comfortable and her teammates trust her more. Shout out to BigMick but the Kyla experiment most end
  • When Aubrey plays in these chaotic up and down games she is a force on both ends. It’s when the game is slowed to a half court offense you can see a little less continuity but I really love her upside because she can become a true two way player like MoJeff.
  • Disappointed in the way Meg and Cplayed tonight but they battled.
  • ONO played great when she came in the second half. Even though she missed a few wide open shots she was aggressive and confidence on the offensive end translated well to the defensive side as she contested a lot of shots. Hope she can build off of this win
  • Glad Geno gave Aubrey a chance to play moreSuch a gifted player and such a nice personality (her interview with Holly was great).
  • I hope Geno will now start Anna because she can impact the game in so many ways. Aubrey first off the bench, then Irwin and Bent.

As another poster said, Geno put Aubrey in early last night out of necessity, not by design.
Geno knows she still does not know the system yet. But Griffin came through for him and made him look like a genius, and a master puppeteer, pulling the right strings at the right time, like he did to begin the second half.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Yes, we all know to say ectomorphish. :rolleyes:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
As another poster said, Geno put Aubrey in early last night out of necessity, not by design.
Geno knows she still does not know the system yet. But Griffin came through for him and made him look like a genius, and a master puppeteer, pulling the right strings at the right time, like he did to begin the second half.
He said as much in a post game interview.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Pretty simple. At least to me. When you hold a nationally-ranked team to 14 points in a half and go toe-to-toe with them - a MUCH taller team - on the boards, it takes a tremendous toll on your legs!
Wobbly legs make for poor shooting - 30% - need I say more?
IMHO, a better substitution pattern will ease fatigue and help immensely .. give 'em a breather.
So then, OFFENSE? or DEFENSE? what's it gonna be? which should we choose? can we have both?
Rationalization?

Reaction Score
Aubrey has her own system, one that can't be taught; though her father may have had something to do with it. Anticipate, see the ball, use her amazing quickness, and get the rebound, the steal, the loose ball, whatever. Oh. and watch her set picks; better than anyone else on the team.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
One of my favorite moments was Olivia riding on Horston's back for a few seconds. I think it was in the fourth quarter. The announcers seemed speechless for a moment. I guess the refs were too surprised to call anything.
If that had been Crystal Dangerfield or CW the refs would have called the foul on them. It seems only the bigs get away with the undercutting. Liv went straight up and Horston kinda undercut.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If that had been Crystal Dangerfield or CW the refs would have called the foul on them. It seems only the bigs get away with the undercutting. Liv went straight up and Horston kinda undercut.
While a foul could have been called either way, the reason I believe it wasn't was that the ball went out of bounds, the whistle was blown and the piggyback ride occurred basically after the whistle. It was an odd scene, but once the whistle was blown, I guess the refs could have called a "dead ball" foul, but I think they made the correct decision to allow the teams to play on.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just a comment on the idea of Tennessee "preparing" for Griffin. First, not sure why any team would prepare for a freshman who is the 2nd player off the bench, but more salient, how do you prepare for a player who's success is predicated on tremendous hustle and desire?
Well, one thing you can certainly do is alert the entire team to put a body on her whenever UConn puts up a shot. While Aubrey was fantastic going after every shot, she often had a wide open path to the basket.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom