Tennessee Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Tennessee Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Tennessee game:
  • That was one of the ugliest games I’ve seen since the OBE days playing Rutgers in that bandbox in New Brunswick. But any win over the LV’s is a beautiful thing,
  • TN is the kind of team that UConn would have blown out of the gym last year. In the first half, TN had 13 baskets and 15 turnovers, and the Huskies were still down 3. But this appears to be who the Huskies are right now.
  • Yet another grind-it-out game for the Huskies. Certainly, the LV’s length had something to do with it, but there is no getting around it, UConn just has to shoot the ball better when they get open looks. Crystal, Megan & Anna all hit some key shots, but none of them had particularly good shooting games. Christyn can’t seem to buy a mid-range jumper, which is baffling, because we know she’s capable of making those shots.
  • Thank goodness for Aubrey’s energy, defense and hustle. When Liv went out, I thought the game could get away from us, but Aubrey was unbelievable, earning the second half start, where she just kept making one play after another. Spoiler Alert!!! Aubrey was B.A.
  • Clearly, Liv had something to prove in the second half. She played tough and she played motivated like she was ready for an alley fight. Message received?
  • Now LV & UConn fans have a full year to get pumped up for next season’s rematch in Knoxville. Both teams should be considerably better next year.

Reaction Score
I don't know why people are continued to be surprised by CW shooting. CW is really not that great of a shooter. Her mechanic is not that good, she tends to push the ball more than using her wrist, and when the timing is on she can have a good shooting day, but not in general. She needs to go take a lesson from Azzi Fudd.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
The thing that jumps out at me is how our tougher opponents have a higher assist to basket ratio than we do, the reverse being a point of pride in the past. Yet we have had some games this year in which that ratio was high. To my eye as the opponent gets tougher we go into a heroic mode rather than a team mode, with the upperclassmen feeling they have to carry the team's success on their shoulders alone.

I do not exactly mean this as criticism. In what I anticipated to be a "down year" I am actually pretty satisfy with the results so far. The defense has surpassed my expectations. However, I do think there are certain players coming in next year that are the sure tonic for returning us to the assist/offensive team machine we have been in the past.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
  • That was one of the ugliest games I’ve seen since the OBE days playing Rutgers in that bandbox in New Brunswick. But any win over the LV’s is a beautiful thing,
  • TN is the kind of team that UConn would have blown out of the gym last year. In the first half, TN had 13 baskets and 15 turnovers, and the Huskies were still down 3. But this appears to be who the Huskies are right now.
  • Yet another grind-it-out game for the Huskies. Certainly, the LV’s length had something to do with it, but there is no getting around it, UConn just has to shoot the ball better when they get open looks. Crystal, Megan & Anna all hit some key shots, but none of them had particularly good shooting games. Christyn can’t seem to buy a mid-range jumper, which is baffling, because we know she’s capable of making those shots.
  • Thank goodness for Aubrey’s energy, defense and hustle. When Liv went out, I thought the game could get away from us, but Aubrey was unbelievable, earning the second half start, where she just kept making one play after another. Spoiler Alert!!! Aubrey was B.A.
  • Clearly, Liv had something to prove in the second half. She played tough and she played motivated like she was ready for an alley fight. Message received?
  • Now LV & UConn fans have a full year to get pumped up for next season’s rematch in Knoxville. Both teams should be considerably better next year.

Aubrey was absolutely the game’s badass!!! When Griffin left the game early in the fourth quarter, ceding the floor to UConn’s closing lineup, much of the home crowd stood to toast her performance. Anytime you get a "standing" ovation, you're a badass!!

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I don't know why people are continued to be surprised by CW shooting. CW is really not that great of a shooter. Her mechanic is not that good, she tends to push the ball more than using her wrist, and when the timing is on she can have a good shooting day, but not in general. She needs to go take a lesson from Azzi Fudd.
Wow :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
When our most important players are having an off day, you need less heralded players to step up. And that's what happened today. You gotta love it.

The goal, as always, is to make this UConn team as competitive as it can be in the postseason. This was not the finish of the process, but getting the youngsters to step up is just another step along the way.

If you can get the big three players AND the youngsters all playing well at once against ranked teams, I like our chances. That would be one of the final steps for this team, if we are fortunate enough to see it.

Reaction Score
UConn shot 31% from the field and won by 15. Ugly game is an understatement. A couple of positives was a lot more energy/heart in the 2nd half and AG/Anna playing well. Tenn is not a top tier team. UConn will have to play much better to have any shot at a FF. A National Title is a pipe dream at this point.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Last year, Christyn was second only to Pheesa, shooting right around 50% from the floor,, 37% from 3 and 74% from the FT line. All her numbers are down this season. Her shot does look a little flat to me, so I'm not discounting a problem with mechanics, but she is a much better shooter than we've seen.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Nobody was really hot shooting jumpers, lots of open misses, but really good D and especially excellent second half D. Aubrey just changes the game and Ann is just fine. Hopefully Cristyn’s shot returns.

Reaction Score
Agree and disagree with Old Dude. One of the most enjoyable games I have seen in several years. Great adjustments by Geno, frosh performance, etc. Lets enjoy and not over analyze.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom