Tennessee Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Postgame Thread

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
First - a win is a win. Don't care if people think it was an ugly game.

Very important, the team came out at the start of the 3rd quarter and threw the knockout punch. Out scoring Tennessee 21 - 7 in the 3rd was a big statement. You could see the look of shock on Harper's face!

Aubrey and Anna were fantastic. Tennessee had no idea how to deal with Aubrey on defense or offense. You could see it on the faces of the Tennessee players. Anna was physical in the paint grabbing rebounds and loose balls. Both played some serious defense.

And final kudos to Olivia. After a forgettable first half and not starting the second half, she came off the bench with some fire, determination and physicality. Her presence in the paint altered many shots.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I was starting to feel bad for Aubrey in the 4th quarter because she deserved to be on the floor but the 5 on the floor was doing what we should expect, keeping the lead and actually try to increase the lead. I think that maybe AG could go in for CW but I think that CW is the better ball handler both in the backcourt and frontcourt.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agree and disagree with Old Dude. One of the most enjoyable games I have seen in several years. Great adjustments by Geno, frosh performance, etc. Lets enjoy and not over analyze.
Who said I didn't enjoy it? I love beating the LV's. What I'm really looking forward to is taking a trip over to VolNation to see what the RockyTop folks are saying....:cool:

Reaction Score
My thoughts:
  • Three best players on the court were Griffin, Anna, and Crystal
  • We had a terrible shooting night, just terrible. Most were decently open and outside of a few most were in control
  • The defense was very good all game, but especially second half.
  • The two freshman played amazingly well. Although Ann didn’t score as much as she probably could’ve her solid game against an athletic and long team bodes well for her against any team we play down the road as she becomes more comfortable and her teammates trust her more. Shout out to BigMick but the Kyla experiment most end
  • When Aubrey plays in these chaotic up and down games she is a force on both ends. It’s when the game is slowed to a half court offense you can see a little less continuity but I really love her upside because she can become a true two way player like MoJeff.
  • Disappointed in the way Meg and Cplayed tonight but they battled.
  • ONO played great when she came in the second half. Even though she missed a few wide open shots she was aggressive and confidence on the offensive end translated well to the defensive side as she contested a lot of shots. Hope she can build off of this win
  • Glad Geno gave Aubrey a chance to play moreSuch a gifted player and such a nice personality (her interview with Holly was great).
  • I hope Geno will now start Anna because she can impact the game in so many ways. Aubrey first off the bench, then Irwin and Bent.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
CW has hit the wall she simply played too much basketball this summer mentally she is burnt out...She needs to go to come off the bench...start Aubrey...Have CW and Anna come off the bench...

Kyla needs to play much more aggressively she was passive and got eaten up...

CD and Anna played very well Olivia had a good second half...MW was average but was better on defense even though she was out sized...

MVP of game was TN Team for all the unforced turnovers.

Silver lining imagine if all 5 players of our players played With energy, we would have blown them out...

Poise and execution was much better in 2nd half...

Reaction Score
My thoughts:
  • Three best players on the court were Griffin, Anna, and Crystal
  • We had a terrible shooting night, just terrible. Most were decently open and outside of a few most were in control
  • The defense was very good all game, but especially second half.
  • The two freshman played amazingly well. Although Ann didn’t score as much as she probably could’ve her solid game against an athletic and long team bodes well for her against any team we play down the road as she becomes more comfortable and her teammates trust her more. Shout out to BigMick but the Kyla experiment most end
  • When Aubrey plays in these chaotic up and down games she is a force on both ends. It’s when the game is slowed to a half court offense you can see a little less continuity but I really love her upside because she can become a true two way player like MoJeff.
  • Disappointed in the way Meg and Cplayed tonight but they battled.
  • ONO played great when she came in the second half. Even though she missed a few wide open shots she was aggressive and confidence on the offensive end translated well to the defensive side as she contested a lot of shots. Hope she can build off of this win
  • Glad Geno gave Aubrey a chance to play moreSuch a gifted player and such a nice personality (her interview with Holly was great).
  • I hope Geno will now start Anna because she can impact the game in so many ways. Aubrey first off the bench, then Irwin and Bent.

On the money comments.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Haven't a lot of our teams seemed to have shooting woes in the XL Center?
I thought that this was a game discussion by the announcers in previous XL Center games.

Reaction Score
Over on Volnation they are blaming everyone but the pope. KJH is getting no love. Someone even called one of their bigs garbage.
Are they asking to fire Kelly H? I hope not.

Reaction Score
When Aubrey plays in these chaotic up and down games she is a force on both ends. It’s when the game is slowed to a half court offense you can see a little less continuity
Very true

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Tennessee game:
  • That was one of the ugliest games I’ve seen since the OBE days playing Rutgers in that bandbox in New Brunswick. But any win over the LV’s is a beautiful thing,
  • TN is the kind of team that UConn would have blown out of the gym last year. In the first half, TN had 13 baskets and 15 turnovers, and the Huskies were still down 3. But this appears to be who the Huskies are right now.
  • Yet another grind-it-out game for the Huskies. Certainly, the LV’s length had something to do with it, but there is no getting around it, UConn just has to shoot the ball better when they get open looks. Crystal, Megan & Anna all hit some key shots, but none of them had particularly good shooting games. Christyn can’t seem to buy a mid-range jumper, which is baffling, because we know she’s capable of making those shots.
  • Thank goodness for Aubrey’s energy, defense and hustle. When Liv went out, I thought the game could get away from us, but Aubrey was unbelievable, earning the second half start, where she just kept making one play after another. Spoiler Alert!!! Aubrey was B.A.
  • Clearly, Liv had something to prove in the second half. She played tough and she played motivated like she was ready for an alley fight. Message received?
  • Now LV & UConn fans have a full year to get pumped up for next season’s rematch in Knoxville. Both teams should be considerably better next year.
Can we agree the Irwin experiment should be over. Zero points again and several first period turnovers. A nice young lady and could probably start for a number of AAC teams, but she doesn’t have the skill set to match up against the quality teams. Aubrey on the other hand brought energy to a team that looked dead in the water. Until she entered the game I thought we might lose. She brought intensity when needed most, not bad stats either 13 points, 5 steals, 3/4 assists, and constantly pounded the offensive and defensive boards. I would give her a couple of starts and let her set screens and pound the boards.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I don't know why people are continued to be surprised by CW shooting. CW is really not that great of a shooter. Her mechanic is not that good, she tends to push the ball more than using her wrist, and when the timing is on she can have a good shooting day, but not in general. She needs to go take a lesson from Azzi Fudd.
I stand by my statement that CW by January, 2021 will have a hard time getting anywhere near as many minutes. Aubrey is playing very well and will get better. Ania is improving in each game. Evina will be ready. Paige will be pushing the upper classmen. And I believe Muhl will be a very pleasant surprise for most. CW must make a huge jump next year.

Last edited:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
And final kudos to Olivia. After a forgettable first half and not starting the second half, she came off the bench with some fire, determination and physicality. Her presence in the paint altered many shots.

THIS! Nice work when she got back in. Like 2 different players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom