Tennessee Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I think most of the points being made are good ones.
My main takeaway was that in a big game, two freshman, Makurat and Griffin, made bold statements...very encouraging.
The shooting was really bad, missed layups and lots of "in/outs". The taller Tenn players were really disruptive to us.

Reaction Score
some folks here were talking about coaches being offensive or defensive coaches the other day. and someone(s) spoke of Geno being more offensive-minded. Most people know that the best UConn teams have been outstanding defensive teams. For the first time in awhile, this team looked pretty good on defense last night. the half-court pressure used in the 2nd half really brought back fond memories of those past teams, especially the side-line trapping. when you think about it, this team does have players who have the ability to make that half-court pressure be very disruptive. Walker, Dangerfield, Williams, Makurat, and Griffin are not great on-ball defenders( well maybe Griffin is), but they each loves to anticipate and make steals, and each has quite a few this year. I think that makes for an ideal pressing group(sorry Kyla and Olivia), one that can turn a game around. There's nothing more exciting than watching a good pressing team disrupting the opponent, and turning games around.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No no no. You must visit.

It should be made into a movie, a study in the transition in the emotions. First 5 minutes, when they jumped to decent leads, they were on top of the world, rest of first half, cautiously optimistic. Half time, urging their beloved LV's to do god's work and beat UConn and then the 3Q when UConn slowly bust surely stole their souls. The mourning and sackcloth that followed as time ebbed slowly as reality really set in followed by laying blame all over,

Word and thought of the day with respect to our Orange clad brethren: Schadenfrude :D
Aubrey has her own system, one that can't be taught; though her father may have had something to do with it. Anticipate, see the ball, use her amazing quickness, and get the rebound, the steal, the loose ball, whatever. Oh. and watch her set picks; better than anyone else on the team.

I like the way Aubrey guards her man, facing her while looking over her shoulder periodically to follow the ball.

Reaction Score
Not only were our shots not going down, so may were off line. Real nerves all over the place.
Have to agree. UConn had many totally open shots in first half - TN defense not the issue. While its been years since a game against a 23rd ranked team was competitive, this was one of the more entertaining games I've seen. For as nervous as Huskies looked in 1st half, their performance in 2nd half should calm the team as they play big time games in future.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
some folks here were talking about coaches being offensive or defensive coaches the other day. and someone(s) spoke of Geno being more offensive-minded. Most people know that the best UConn teams have been outstanding defensive teams. For the first time in awhile, this team looked pretty good on defense last night. the half-court pressure used in the 2nd half really brought back fond memories of those past teams, especially the side-line trapping. when you think about it, this team does have players who have the ability to make that half-court pressure be very disruptive. Walker, Dangerfield, Williams, Makurat, and Griffin are not great on-ball defenders( well maybe Griffin is), but they each loves to anticipate and make steals, and each has quite a few this year. I think that makes for an ideal pressing group(sorry Kyla and Olivia), one that can turn a game around. There's nothing more exciting than watching a good pressing team disrupting the opponent, and turning games around.

I confess I was one who was very skeptical that we could effectively press because of our team skill sets in general and depth in particular. Happy to be proven wrong although it might not work on a team with more under control guard play. I doubt we could do this against SC or OU over an extended time.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I started fresh this morning on VolNation, after 4 hours going through few threads, they are not taking any prisoners...not even Kelly Harper is safe in this one. I have to say though, I d

Sounds like Town Fair Tire commercial. :rolleyes:

You're a better person than me. If I started the first 4 hours of my day on VolNation, I'd be a basket case afterwards in serious need of medication and bed rest. I can't spend more than 4 minutes there.

Although I do enjoy watching them experience the misery, pain and frustration of losing and being upset. Especially losing to to UConn. Yesterday was a very good day. Today will be ever better. UConn Nation is very happy with yesterday's win over Tennessee. Zippity do dah. :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think last nights game proved beyond a shadow of a doubt the amount of heart and fight these young Huskies have in them. Sometimes they looked like football players scrambling for a fumble going after loose balls, diving all over the floor. No matter how great you are in high school Geno won't recruit you unless you are willing to do this.

Reaction Score
My take - I believe the difference in this game was Geno. Tennessee has some very good players, UConn has some very good players, Tennessee has an average coach, UConn has the best coach in WBB and in my opinion coaching won this game.
While this game showed off Geno's coaching skills - changing line ups, inserting new defense on the fly, etc. - I hesitate criticizing TN coach's skill. While I cringe anytime I say a kind word about anything TN related, have watched several SEC women's games on TV and have to give Kelly credit for quickly rebuilding a terrible program. I watched the TN/UConn history evolve so understand this game's hype but its been many years since a barely ranked team wasn't blown out by UConn, particularly if the game was at UConn. TN is a young team with little upper classmen leadership but is competitive every game. Good young coach we likely will see a lot of in future.

Reaction Score
Not much to add except I would like to point out that they held the orange people to 45 points! That's not bad, even if they were turning it over a lot given their size relative to the Huskies. The other important take away from me is that when the upper class men were struggling to score, the "kids" picked up the slack. That bodes well moving forward.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Tennessee looked like #16 in the first half and unranked in the second Typical young sqaud Fun to see how it comes together in the coming weeks.
The UCONN group that turned the game in the 2nd half was 2 freshmen 2 sophomores

Reaction Score
I keep thinking back to Megan’s pre-game interview where she stressed the team was going to refocus on coming together and playing for each other. That’s what seemed like happened last night when they got behind and shots weren’t falling and Liv was in early foul trouble. There was no DT there to say, “We ain’t losing this game!”, but it seemed like that kind of leadership was going on somewhere.

I also thought about when somebody reminded us the other day that Geno breaks them down until about this time in the season, then starts building them back up. I think we’re in the “building back up” mode now. Geno shifting from “strict, yelling daddy” coach to “We’re all in this together” mentor.

Reaction Score
I confess I was one who was very skeptical that we could effectively press because of our team skill sets in general and depth in particular. Happy to be proven wrong although it might not work on a team with more under control guard play. I doubt we could do this against SC or OU over an extended time.
and I only see them pressing in the half-court, and sprung at certain times only. and I think it can work against the better teams.

Reaction Score
Count the unforced turnovers and bricks thrown up with no pressure; you may change your opinion on the ugliness.
Don't forget if you're LV fan, you would say that that's way too many turnovers and more than the norm. I think we won with the margin victory about where we should've +/- a few points.

Reaction Score
Just one more about VolNation. Some there actually believe is was pure genius by Geno to have UConn "play opossum" in first half...to sort of lull the LadyVols in a false sense of security. If they only knew what we know. :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
But I hope on Monday she goes 0 for XX :)
What??? For shame on you!!!! I might require you give up that Avatar if you say such comments again! She can go 5-5; 10-10 or what ever as long as the "official" UConn team regains their shooting touch (as opposed to a "mostly UConn" National team ;)).

Carnac

Reaction Score
We're talking about (and having fun with) the current state of unrest now taking place on VolNation. I'm admittedly guilty of being consumed with a overwhelming sense of schadenfreude at the moment. :D

Can you imagine for a moment the anarchy and the total state of chaos, political unrest and civil disorder that WILL ensue therein IF UConn has the stones (and the temerity) to go to Knoxville and pull out another win next year on their hallowed floor? :eek: If I'm Geno, THAT is one game I'm not looking forward to next year.

Kellie Harper would see just how "loyal" and fervent some of the "old guard" fans are, because after another loss to their "most hated" rivals, some of them would not only question her ability to coach, but may also call for her job.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I still don't like the black uni thing. Stick with the traditional team colors (not grey either!) But, for now I have put away the gas can.
In his post game speech, Geno mentioned the reason they used black uni's was to auction them off for money toward the Pat Summit Foundation. Feel free to bid on them, buy one (or all) and do a video burning them...:rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don't forget if you're LV fan, you would say that that's way too many turnovers and more than the norm. I think we won with the margin victory about where we should've +/- a few points.
While the LV turnovers were high last night, turnovers are pretty much the norm for that team. Freshman star Horston has already committed 84 turnovers this season, or about 4.5 per game. That’s terrible, and it is symptomatic of how the team doesn’t take care of the ball.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We're talking about (and having fun with) the current state of unrest now taking place on VolNation. I'm admittedly guilty of being consumed with a overwhelming sense of schadenfreude at the moment. :D Can you imagine for a moment the anarchy and the total state of chaos, political unrest and civil disorder that WILL ensue therein IF UConn has the stones (and the temerity) to go to Knoxville and pull out another win next year? :eek:

Kellie Harper would see just how "loyal" and fervent some of them are, because after another loss to their "most hated" rivals, some of them would no doubt question her ability to coach, and may in turn call for her job.
What do you mean imagine? It’s already a W in my book. ;)

Reaction Score
I'm glad that some of those most foul comments (targeting players' appearance, etc.) wouldn't be tolerated here. I frequent plenty of message boards that get nasty about other sports or topics. You wouldn't believe how vicious the world's largest women's tennis board can get unless you've seen it, for instance. But I don't feel any need to see it here.

That said...I gotta imagine that this board would be a pretty unpleasant place in its own way if we had lost that game 45 to 60. Just thinking about it...yeowtch. That is an ugly way to lose, with 9 more turnovers than made baskets.

No, the Boneyard would not be sanguine about that kind of result. Lots of locked threads and deleted posts in that case.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When the offense doesn’t produce, you need a good defense. With Anna and Aubrey starting second half we held Tennessee to 14 points. Nothing butt ugly about that. Repeat 14.

The defense was stellar. I'm talking offense. As Geno said in his presser a lot of good wide open shots did not drop. Lowest shooting percentage in living memory. This has to change or we are just pretenders this year.

Reaction Score
You're a better person than me. If I started the first 4 hours of my day on VolNation, I'd be a basket case afterwards. I can't spend more than 4 minutes there. Although I do enjoy watching them experience the misery, pain and frustration of losing and being upset. Especially losing to to UConn. Yesterday was a very good day. Today will be ever better. UConn Nation is very happy with yesterday's win over Tennessee. :D
Last time I looked, the UConn game thread on VolNation was approaching 1000 posts. Not sure there is that much to discuss about any game but gives indication on the focus this game had at Tenn.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Like some of you who have been posting, I went to the game last night and have a few observations that have not been noted yet, some significant, some not as much.
1. There were a lot of LV fans there, more than I would ever expect to wear that color to a game. All were very nice that I met.
2. Before the game, Geno and Kellie were talking quite a bit to each other and CD and Shea made efforts to hug and talk to Kellie as well. Nice to see.
3. TN led 26-18 at the 6:15 mark of the 2nd quarter (26 points in 13:45 minutes played) and only scored 19 points in 26:45 the rest of the game. The team on the floor was Aubrey, Anna, CW, CD and MW. They started the second half as well.
4. At the half, Geno had to do a Pat Foundation check presentation so he was animated talking to CD when the rest of the team went into the locker room. His finger was wagging up and down at CD and gestures to the Locker as if to say "tell the team that xxx and yyy and NOT ". This went on for a minute plus. They then did a nice check presentation of $10,000 from UConn to the Pat Summit Foundation where it was noted Geno was the first coach to donate to it when it was founded. Kellie Jolly Harper also took part in the ceremony.
5. UConn was late coming back onto the Floor with just over 2 minutes left of the intermission. Normally teams come out with 5 min left to do shooting.
6. The half time show was THE RED PANDA and her 8 foot Unicycle and bowl catching act! Pretty cool.
7. When Key picked up her 5th foul and left the game, KJH spent significant time talking to her, calming her down and calmly pointing and showing her on the floor items. That was nice to see and you did see Key calm down after that, nod her head and go to the bench.
8. While we have a really good freshman class coming in (understatement) and Tennessee does not, TN will have Zay Green back who is arguably their second best player after Davis. TN should be improved next year with her.
9. The post game pressers by both teams were well done. Please go watch them. KJH did not show disrespect to Aubrey. She could have noted her energy and what she did to her team on defense but that's quibbling. KJH did correctly note this team turns the ball over too much and needs to get better at that. Her presses are INFINITELY better than anything HOLLY ever did. Remember, this is not a Kellie team but a conglomerate of AAs that Holly put together regardless of chemistry or rationale. The team looked much better tonight than against Alabama. Davis did play well and I was impressed with her. That said, Meg is better.
Fun game, bad shooting, great hustle, great atmosphere.
Humbly submitted,
DefenseBB

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom