Stephanie Mavunga granted release to transfer | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Stephanie Mavunga granted release to transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
SH just spent a year staring death in the face. Now, I realize not everyone reacts the same way to given situations. I also realize we are dealing with the woman in charge of a program that says she had no idea of the shenanigans going on. So, I say all this with the awareness that her response to all this transfer business might not be the ordinary.

However, from my experience with people, staring death in the face changes people. You realize what is important. You have a greater appreciation for each new day. I dare say you tend to be a kinder, more compassionate person as a response to it. All that being said, I have a hard time believing SH would limit Gray, and give Mavunga an unconditional release. It is even more absurd to think this given TN does not really need guard play, they need post play. So, if she were really gonna stick it to TN as some here seem to think, I would think the exact opposite would have occurred to what is being talked about.

I tend to think that either one of the two pieces of information people have are incorrect. Either Mavunga did not get an unconditional release, or Gray's was not limited. Makes absolutely no sense to handle them differently. None.
Well we have two diff opinions. I dont think its "absurd" at all.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sylvia has been at UNC forever and I don't see her jumping ship in the middle of this situation - I think she stays at least until the NCAA ruling and probably through the disciplinary action if there is any, and then leaving to allow a new coach to take over a 'clean' situation - trying to hire a coach at this point would be a nightmare.

As for releases - the NCAA rules give all discretion to the school, and IF UNC blocked some schools for some of the transferring athletes, I am willing to grant that they had some reason for doing so beyond dislike. Whether that reason was suspicion or fact doesn't really matter - it is not a court of law, and they do not have to 'prove' even reasonable doubt. Based on the speed with which Gray came to a decision I suspect TN wasn't top of her list anyway - otherwise I would expect a little exploration of options.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Hate is an awfully strong word...I would hope Sylvia doesn't gate Tenn, however IF true, what other reason can someone come up with for Hatchell blocking Gray from talking to Tenn? Especially if the girl submitted the list with UT as one of her teams. Idk if it's true or not but like I said if so, you can clearly tell there is some type of bitterness with Hatchell regarding Tenn.

Maybe Hatchell reads The Summitt.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Did you not read my post? I gave you two others, Kentucky & South Carolina.

I'm not giving you an entire list.

LOL I can only deduce 2 possibilities. Either you have no inside information or you have a source that uses you to get out information they want made public but can't do themselves. There is no way someone would continue to divulge inside knowledge to a person who repeats it on a public forum unless they wanted it released. The fact that you release partial information supports that view. If you get your information from within the LV program then it would appear that by using you as a surrogate they have been violating the rule against coaches commenting on recruits prior to a LOI being signed.

But then I'm only speculating.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Well... turn out the lights in Chapel hill

https://twitter.com/jgravleyWRAL

Now we're all waiting to see where see lands. I predict two things....1. She goes to a top five ranked program that has a legitimate chance of winning a NC. 2. The program she chooses is on the east coast.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Now we're all waiting to see where see lands. I predict two things....1. She goes to a top five ranked program that has a legitimate chance of winning a NC. 2. The program she chooses is on the east coast.
ND

Reaction Score
I didn't know about the ACC rule but I agree with the suggestion that she may wind up as a Buckeye. It's seems like a good fit. She's a great talent but would she mesh in a tightly run program like Muffet's anyway? As a UCONN fan the one thing that stands out here is that the successful players learn their roles and then play them well. That calls for sacrifice and control.

I'm probably all wrong but I never thought that DD was a good choice here. We've had players that didn't get it (they'll go unnamed), who's play didn't respond to the team's essential needs, and despite their talent, things never really worked with them.

What seems to be obvious to me is that Geno can do more with Kelly Faris than he he can with DD. Both outstanding in their own way, but Faris despite her great HS success easily took to the role that Geno needed her to play. I'm not sure DD or Mavunga are those types of players.

But since we pursued them both in HS I guess I'll have to recognize that I'm missing something, but for me, all of her talent aside, I won't mind her going elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Its not against the rules..... but I think she would have to sit out an extra year
Two years within the conference. I don't know if there is a possibility of a waiver of the extra year.

Reaction Score
LOL I can only deduce 2 possibilities. Either you have no inside information or you have a source that uses you to get out information they want made public but can't do themselves. There is no way someone would continue to divulge inside knowledge to a person who repeats it on a public forum unless they wanted it released. The fact that you release partial information supports that view. If you get your information from within the LV program then it would appear that by using you as a surrogate they have been violating the rule against coaches commenting on recruits prior to a LOI being signed.

But then I'm only speculating.
So you can accuse someone of not having proof, but then you just go ahead and "speculate" your self.
Wow I'd say a bit hypocritical. Well maybe a lot.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
So you can accuse someone of not having proof, but then you just go ahead and "speculate" your self.

Not at all. Alydar does not state his deductions as fact. He proposes two theories, and labels them as such, while providing logical underpinning as to how he came to these theories. As you note, he says, in black and white, that he's speculating. There's a difference between that sort of approach, and one that basically boils down to "This is the deal: trust me".

Reaction Score

I admit I'm just speculating. MTSU has been strongly hinting for a long time that he/she has "inside sources". I'm not accusing MTSU of not having proof. I'm asking for full disclosure. MTSU chooses to only reveal a part of the list. Why? I don't know and I'm not demanding it but I'm also not going to simply "trust" it either.

Ask yourself this; imagine you have direct access to information from within the UConn program. Do you actually think that your source would continue to provide you with confidential information for years when you consistently repeat it on public boards unless they wanted it divulged? It would follow that the source allows the divulging because it furthers their objectives. One could safely say that their objective is the enhancement of their own program and that the divulged information is filtered to serve that objective. Why? I have no idea.

My opinions concerning those who claim "insider" knowledge applies to everyone who makes that claim not just MTSU.
MTSU posts on a number of boards and I have always enjoyed reading his/her opinion and will continue to enjoy them in the future.

Reaction Score
So many many folks (primarily Vol fans) commenting with certainty about what Sylvia thinks, her motives, her dastardly actions, etc. People proclaiming that Sylvia banned so and so with absolutely no proof or source given. People demanding that Pat not be criticized when illness struck who have no compunction about criticizing Sylvia under similar circumstances. So many "insiders" who, in reality, don't know diddly squat.

I disagree completely that the circumstance are similar. Pat did not "knowingly" for over a decade engage in academic fraud-SH did.
What is your proof that Sylvia knowingly engaged in fraud? I think that is still to be determined, but you state it as though is is fact.

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What is your proof that Sylvia knowingly engaged in fraud? I think that is still to be determined, but you state it as though is is fact.
From Page 75 of the Weinstein report:
" Sylvia Hatchell has been the head women’s basketball coach since 1986. During that time,
there were 114 enrollments of women’s basketball players in paper classes. Hatchell was aware that
many of her players took AFAM classes over the years. She also knew that Jan Boxill (for whom
she has great respect) 142 had a strong working relationship with Crowder, and assumed that their

relationship led to the high enrollment by women’s basketball players.''

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
From Page 75 of the Weinstein report:
" Sylvia Hatchell has been the head women’s basketball coach since 1986. During that time,
there were 114 enrollments of women’s basketball players in paper classes. Hatchell was aware that
many of her players took AFAM classes over the years. She also knew that Jan Boxill (for whom
she has great respect) 142 had a strong working relationship with Crowder, and assumed that their

relationship led to the high enrollment by women’s basketball players.''

All, of course, circumstantial, but pretty strong. If she did not know what was going on she must have been looking the other way very vigorously.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
think she 'retires' when they offer her some more money...

Reaction Score
WCBB fans,
Is there anything that anyone is willing to go public with (other than speculation) to indicate that the UNC WCBB player transfers are being blocked or restricted by UNC in anyway? I would find this to be more disturbing than the pompousness of KSU in with Romero - worth of a public relations campaign.
I don't know. But even if the rumors of vol-blocking are true the public wouldn't find out about it until years later with the cover up. Because that is just how they roll at UNCarolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom