Stephanie Mavunga granted release to transfer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stephanie Mavunga granted release to transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Finally, I looked up Texas's roster because they're a team with great guards on board/coming in, and seems just a young elite post player away from making noise, yet did not make Lauren Cox's latest list (though still seems to be in the mix for Joyner Holmes).

...and though they do have a verbal from #4 2018 6'7" Sedona Prince, but #3 6'3" Collier decommitted on her early verbal...well, there's a LOT of stuff with Texas, and 2018 is still a ways away, so I'm digressing....

BUT, anyhow, lol, although the Texas roster stands at 16, there are 4 seniors (though also a pair of 2016 verbals) and Texas seems to always find room on their roster, if you know what I mean.

Point being, given that Mavunga was a pretty good student and went for an (otherwise) academically strong big public school out of her region in UNC (while also seemingly seriously considering Stanford first time around), I could see Texas (based on pure speculation) being an option for her.

And as an aside, while looking at the Texas roster, I noticed one of the Canadian twins who left Vanderbilt's team wound up at Texas, but the twin sister is not on the roster. A bit odd.

Reaction Score
Finally, I looked up Texas's roster because they're a team with great guards on board/coming in, and seems just a young elite post player away from making noise, yet did not make Lauren Cox's latest list (though still seems to be in the mix for Joyner Holmes).

And as an aside, while looking at the Texas roster, I noticed one of the Canadian twins who left Vanderbilt's team wound up at Texas, but the twin sister is not on the roster. A bit odd.
Texas had only one scholarship left for 2015-16, so the other twin is going to a juco for a year and then joining Texas in 2016-17.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
kat0189 said:
Also, I forgot to mention Purdue had a solid 2015 class: signing Hoopgurlz #30, #31, and #41 player, then a verbal from #32 of 2016. However, that doesn't compare to the talent she'd play with at the other places, like Louisville. Also, you forgot to add Paris Kea, who transferred from Vandy to UNC recently, and is a good PG/G.

Louisville would be a great landing spot for her but they are in the ACC so I'm not sure they are a possibility.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
I was surprised when I recently read that UConn was on Mavunga's final list of schools as I did not remember that UConn had recruited her. I went back and read some of Jim Fuller's blog entries and it seems Geno had at one time recruited Mavunga (late 2011) but it seems he had stopped recruiting her by the time she made the decision to commit to UNC in May of 2012. Geno ultimately preferred Reimer over Mavunga.

Although UConn could certainly use another post player (Cox appears to be a long-shot), I doubt Geno would pursue Mavunga for a few reasons. First, Geno rarely pursues transfers (Butler is the exception and she actually initiated contact with the UConn staff). Second, I can see Geno and CD not wanting to be involved in what's going on with the UNC program. Finally, I'm not sure Mavunga really fits the type of player Geno and CD look to bring in to the program. I could see where some of the extra stuff she brings to the court -- some technicals for taunting, that ridiculous free-throw routine -- turning off Geno and CD. She's good and what I like about her game (over Reimer's) is how aggressively she pursues the basketball. Still, I don't see UConn getting involved.

Finally, I doubt Geno feels a need to counter any buzz surrounding SC.
sounds like she would fit best at Louisville - which sounded strange at first to me but who else would put up with the technicals for taunting? I first assumed she could go to Notre Dame but the Turner/Reimer show might not need her...

Reaction Score
I seem to remember that when DeShields withdrew her verbal to Tenn and picked UNC there were several Tenn "insiders" who posted that the LV staff was upset by what they referred to as "underhanded" and "unethical" tactics by UNC. Maybe UNC sees something underhanded with Cooper and DeShields suddenly both kicking UNC to the curb and going to Tenn? Or maybe UNC didn't appreciate the nasty accusations 2 years ago coming out of Knutsville?

What goes around comes around.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Mavunga is a beast inside with a great motor, plays solid defense, scores enough and is a team-first player.

She is very good but she has some real deficiencies, too. Turner put up 29 pts, 18 rebounds, and 7 blocks against UNC this year, and Mavunga is only a 50% shooter, which is poor for a center.

I think she'd be an asset for any team but her best role might be as a complementary player.

Reaction Score
I seem to remember that when DeShields withdrew her verbal to Tenn and picked UNC there were several Tenn "insiders" who posted that the LV staff was upset by what they referred to as "underhanded" and "unethical" tactics by UNC. Maybe UNC sees something underhanded with Cooper and DeShields suddenly both kicking UNC to the curb and going to Tenn? Or maybe UNC didn't appreciate the nasty accusations 2 years ago coming out of Knutsville?

You seem to be remembering wrong....when did Diamond even verbal to UT to withdraw it??? :rolleyes:

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
AnotherVolFan said:
You seem to be remembering wrong....when did Diamond even verbal to UT to withdraw it??? :rolleyes:

I think they meant Davis. Honestly, relative to the 2013 class anyone could get it all confused!

Reaction Score
I think they meant Davis. Honestly, relative to the 2013 class anyone could get it all confused!

No. I meant DeShields. When Davis withdrew her verbal the reaction was to trash her mother. DeShields may have never given the LV's a verbal but they had her penciled in since before she was a HS freshmen. Her mother's ties to Pat and Tenn were continually mentioned, along with DD's many visits to Knoxville wearing orange outfits. The LV fanbase assumed she was their's. When she committed to UNC there were loads of comments from those who claim insider info that UNC had acted unethically and I distinctly remember the use of the word unethical. One of those was the moderator from a LV site who claims to have contacts within the UNC family.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Do coaches really pursue transfers? JC transfers yes, but are coaches making calls to players/their families/their HS or AAU coaches to express interest, or are they waiting for the player to express interest? Seems much more of the latter.

I really doubt Mavunga will choose another ACC team as it would involve two years sitting - so ND, Louisville, etc just seems very unlikely.

Feel sort of sorry for those remaining on the UNC roster - that roster has been decimated. McDaniel's has one year left, but the team around her is going to struggle.

Reaction Score
No. I meant DeShields. When Davis withdrew her verbal the reaction was to trash her mother. DeShields may have never given the LV's a verbal but they had her penciled in since before she was a HS freshmen. Her mother's ties to Pat and Tenn were continually mentioned, along with DD's many visits to Knoxville wearing orange outfits. The LV fanbase assumed she was their's. When she committed to UNC there were loads of comments from those who claim insider info that UNC had acted unethically and I distinctly remember the use of the word unethical. One of those was the moderator from a LV site who claims to have contacts within the UNC family.
The assumption must be that the only way to get a recruit away from TN is "unethically". Never mind actual evidence. I think the logic goes like this: The premise is that it's a universal truth no right-minded recruit would pick any other school in a fair recruiting battle. Therefore the inference that cheating occurred is ironclad. Actual evidence is not required, and can just be presumed to exist.

Reaction Score
. . . Feel sort of sorry for those remaining on the UNC roster - that roster has been decimated. McDaniel's has one year left, but the team around her is going to struggle.

I suspect some of the "end-of-the-bench" kids at UNC may be silently gleeful
over the prospect of increased minutes this fall.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
The remaining roster at the NoCar Website!

0 Cherry, Jamie Guard 5-8 Fr. Cove City, N.C. (West Craven)
3 Buckland, Megan Guard 6-0 Jr. High Point, N.C. (Bishop McGuinness)
13 Fuller, Hillary Forward 6-2 So. Jacksonville, Fla. (The Potter's House)
22 Bryant, N'Dea Guard 6-0 Jr. Goose Creek, S.C. (Goose Creek)
30 Summers, Hillary Forward 6-2 So. Fayetteville, N.C. (Village Christian Academy)
34 McDaniel, Xylina Forward 6-2 Jr. Columbia, S.C. (Spring Valley)

This is a team with no depth at any position. Sylvia will have to hit the Jr. College circuit hard. Or, she will have to try and recruit 2 or 3 more walk-on players. They will need at least 2 more players. There isn't any more room for additional transfers or North Carolina risks being a program that doesn't field a team. 3 guards 5'8"; 6'0"; 6'0": and 3 forwards - 6'2"; 6'2"; 6'2". Not a very big team in the front court but fairly good size in the back court and no true center. As it stands now, this North Carolina team looks like it will be a cellar dweller.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
cferraro04 said:
The remaining roster at the NoCar Website! 0 Cherry, Jamie Guard 5-8 Fr. Cove City, N.C. (West Craven) 3 Buckland, Megan Guard 6-0 Jr. High Point, N.C. (Bishop McGuinness) 13 Fuller, Hillary Forward 6-2 So. Jacksonville, Fla. (The Potter's House) 22 Bryant, N'Dea Guard 6-0 Jr. Goose Creek, S.C. (Goose Creek) 30 Summers, Hillary Forward 6-2 So. Fayetteville, N.C. (Village Christian Academy) 34 McDaniel, Xylina Forward 6-2 Jr. Columbia, S.C. (Spring Valley) This is a team with no depth at any position. Sylvia will have to hit the Jr. College circuit hard. Or, she will have to try and recruit 2 or 3 more walk-on players. They will need at least 2 more players. There isn't any more room for additional transfers or North Carolina risks being a program that doesn't field a team. 3 guards 5'8"; 6'0"; 6'0": and 3 forwards - 6'2"; 6'2"; 6'2". Not a very big team in the front court but fairly good size in the back court and no true center. As it stands now, this North Carolina team looks like it will be a cellar dweller.

Add in 3 freshman:

5'9 G Destinee Walker
5'9 G Stephanie Watts
6'2 F Eternati Willock

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Even if conference were not an issue, she would not be headed to Louisville. That recruitment ended, shall I say, on a bad note .

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Don't waste any tears on Sylvia. She was up to her uh-oh in the phoney classes scam. Whatever she gets, she has it coming.
Unfortunately, the same is true of Good Ole Roy but it looks like the UNC administration is hoping to have women's basketball be the sacrificial lamb, so that sanctions against the men can be deflected.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Finally, I doubt Geno feels a need to counter any buzz surrounding SC.

I agree. He's got plenty of buzz now.

And wouldn't Mavunga be in the same class as Butler? He would be much better off getting a big from a succeeding class, preferably by recruitment.

Reaction Score

That's pretty impressive that you remember a verbal that never happened...

Reaction Score
.... Sylvia will have to hit the Jr. College circuit hard. Or, she will have to try and recruit 2 or 3 more walk-on players. ....

Hmm... Do people really think that Sylvia is going to survive this fiasco? As this continues to play out, it seems to me that the university is going to start looking hard at those who enabled it to happen/facilitated it so the university can separate itself from those responsible for an incredible embarrassment. I'm betting that Sylvia conveniently "retires" - likely for "health" reasons - as soon as the university comes up with a way to backfill the coach position. Why would the university pay Sylvia money for years of future dreadful records when they can separate themselves from her salary and her errors in judgement?

Reaction Score
That's pretty impressive that you remember a verbal that never happened...

If you had read down a couple of posts you'd see that it was already pointed out and that I clarified my post.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
She is very good but she has some real deficiencies, too. Turner put up 29 pts, 18 rebounds, and 7 blocks against UNC this year, and Mavunga is only a 50% shooter, which is poor for a center.

I think she'd be an asset for any team but her best role might be as a complementary player.

Mavunga takes a good number of shots outside of the paint though.... Ive always considered her to be more of a PF.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
UConn fans (well BY posters) did as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32