Stephanie Mavunga granted release to transfer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stephanie Mavunga granted release to transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The following is a conversation between a couple of Tennessee fans that took place recently regarding "The Summit"

I actually have posted the same thing on TS before but not the same wording. And obviously I've been jumped on before (I'm sure you've seen it), but I'm a big boy and it doesn't really matter to me. Not everyone has to agree with me, nor do I expect everyone to agree with me. Ironically I've been posting there longer than the majority of people who get butthurt over anything I say. I only point that out because I remember a time when the board was completely different.

My favorite is how every player that commits/signs to UT is made out to be like they are some kind of elite player that has no weaknesses. But when they get to UT ... it's "high school accolades don't mean anything". And don't get me started on how it's a subscription board with zero subscription content. No chats, no inside information, no nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ----------------
To be clear, this isn't the Summit and if you want constant sunshine pumping about the Lady Vols, then that forum might be for you. They run a tight ship over there, so posting ANYTHING critical is highly frowned upon. To each their own, but I prefer to be able to read critical posts, as well as positive posts.
I remember the good ol' days when discussion was actually encouraged on TS and you weren't jumped on for anything that wasn't pumping sunshine up the players' and coaches' rear ends 24/7. They deny that it happens, which makes it even more hilarious. What you said is absolutely true. If you want to post on a board where opinions that aren't conforming to the masses are jumped on and attacked like a bunch of piranahs to a dead carcass, then yes, head over there.

So yes, it may be true that they were blocked from going to Tennessee but I would like confirmation from another source,

Reaction Score
The Tar Heels have also lost one of their 2016 verbals, as Jocelyn Jones has decommitted, per Prentice Beverly. (Don't want to embed the tweet because it includes a contact's phone # and e-mail address.)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Tar Heels have also lost one of their 2016 verbals, as Jocelyn Jones has decommitted, per Prentice Beverly. (Don't want to embed the tweet because it includes a contact's phone # and e-mail address.)

At this rate.... looks like Clemson, Boston College, Wake Forest, and VPI will be having some company in the ACC basement in the near future :p

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I have NO idea. I can only speculate at this point, I'm guessing maybe the DeShields fiasco. That's just a guess cause I can't see any other reason behind it.

Is it even legal to exclude one school? It seems singling out one school is somehow unconstitutional.

Reaction Score
Is it even legal to exclude one school? It seems singling out one school is somehow unconstitutional.

I think restricted releases are common- not sure how many schools are typically restricted. Indirect tampering could be common too.

Reaction Score
I don't like how a coach can dictate to which schools a player can go to. I think that rule needs to be revised. Especially, if the school the player wants transfer to is not on your schedule.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I remember reading someone's blog that suggested that Mavunga would be next. If that was you, a tip of the turban to you. You called it. To borrow a phrase from Tony Kornheiser: "I believe I had that". I'll second the observation that another blogger made here with respect to the UNC women's basketball program: Turn out the lights, the party's over!!

The last big name and stand out player just left the program. It's back to square one. How will this exodus by all of her best players effect her incoming freshmen, and other verbal commits? It may be awhile (several years) before this and other athletic programs at UNC return to normal. When it rains, it pours.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think restricted releases are common- not sure how many schools are typically restricted. Indirect tampering could be common too.
To start with, all in-conference transfers for most conferences are 'restricted' in that they add an extra year to the NCAA year of residency before eligibility. And a school can put any other restrictions on a release as well - typically it is only a few schools that may have direct connections (recent coach/assistant hires from the releasing school, or a suspicion of tampering is the usual reason given.) And of course other schools have been know to refuse to grant releases - but that is not a good PR move for the team or the school.

Reaction Score
Tennessee is not one of my favorite teams by a long shot, but no coach should have the right to block a transfer to that team if a player wants to go there. Seems like there should be a rule change.

Reaction Score
Tennessee is not one of my favorite teams by a long shot, but no coach should have the right to block a transfer to that team if a player wants to go there. Seems like there should be a rule change.
That's my issue as well, even if she was not considering Tenn, she should have the right to talk to any school she pleases, ESPECIALLY after this fiasco.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Mavunga will look at Purdue b/c she considered them first time around, they are pretty big on accepting transfers, and she's from Indiana. I think Louisville would hit a home run if they landed her b/c while they have recruited well, their up-n-coming stars are mostly guards and wings so Mavunga gives them an elite interior player, and they were considered 1st time around. She did consider Stanford and was reported to be a good (but not off the charts student), but transfers to Stanford are very rare.

She also had UConn as a finalist, and besides Butler, UConn doesn't seems to have a ton of true posts. IIRC, UConn recruited her pretty hard, so you never know. But wouldn't Mavunga to UConn be a major way of countering all the recent buzz at South Carolina.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That's my issue as well, even if she was not considering Tenn, she should have the right to talk to any school she pleases, ESPECIALLY after this fiasco.
When the NCAA acts which is probably still a year away, they will likely grant free transfers to all athletes (including not having to sit out a year.) Until they act, UNC is still considered 'innocent' and is ruled by standard NCAA rules. And schools have always had control of how they grant releases. 'Tampering' is a pretty difficult thing to prove - so a school being able to specify a limited number of schools they will not 'release' is not that terrible.

That isn't to say that I don't think the letter of intent is a very one-sided document that pretends it is all about the scholarship, when it really is all about the athletics. Athletes are recruited by coaches and the team, and only occasionally swayed by the 'school'.

Reaction Score
The remaining roster at the NoCar Website! The 3 Transfers and the 4 Graduated seniors are in RED

0 Cherry, Jamie Guard 5-8 Fr. Cove City, N.C. (West Craven)
1 Mavunga, Stephanie Forward 6-3 So. Brownsburg, Ind. (Brownsburg) TRANSFER
2 Coleman, Latifah Guard 5-9 Sr. Pageland, S.C. (Central) GRADUATED

3 Buckland, Megan Guard 6-0 Jr. High Point, N.C. (Bishop McGuinness)
10 Butts, Danielle Guard 5-10 Sr. Winterville, N.C. (South Central) GRADUATED
11 Rountree, Brittany Guard 5-9 Sr. Jacksonville, Fla. (The Potter's House) GRADUATED

13 Fuller, Hillary Forward 6-2 So. Jacksonville, Fla. (The Potter's House)
15 Gray, Allisha Guard 6-0 So. Sandersville, Ga. (Washington County) TRANSFER
22 Bryant, N'Dea Guard 6-0 Jr. Goose Creek, S.C. (Goose Creek)
24 Washington, Jessica Guard 5-8 So. Tulsa, Okla. (Jenks) TRANSFER
30 Summers, Hillary Forward 6-2 So. Fayetteville, N.C. (Village Christian Academy)
31 Johnson, Erika Forward 6-1 Sr. Seattle, Wash. (Holy Names Academy) GRADUATED
34 McDaniel, Xylina Forward 6-2 Jr. Columbia, S.C. (Spring Valley)

IMHO Jamie Cherry and Xylina McDaniel seem to be the two top players left on the roster!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm sure Mavunga will look at Purdue b/c she considered them first time around, they are pretty big on accepting transfers, and she's from Indiana. I think Louisville would hit a home run if they landed her b/c while they have recruited well, their up-n-coming stars are mostly guards and wings so Mavunga gives them an elite interior player, and they were considered 1st time around. She did consider Stanford and was reported to be a good (but not off the charts student), but transfers to Stanford are very rare.

She also had UConn as a finalist, and besides Butler, UConn doesn't seems to have a ton of true posts. IIRC, UConn recruited her pretty hard, so you never know. But wouldn't Mavunga to UConn be a major way of countering all the recent buzz at South Carolina.

I was surprised when I recently read that UConn was on Mavunga's final list of schools as I did not remember that UConn had recruited her. I went back and read some of Jim Fuller's blog entries and it seems Geno had at one time recruited Mavunga (late 2011) but it seems he had stopped recruiting her by the time she made the decision to commit to UNC in May of 2012. Geno ultimately preferred Reimer over Mavunga.

Although UConn could certainly use another post player (Cox appears to be a long-shot), I doubt Geno would pursue Mavunga for a few reasons. First, Geno rarely pursues transfers (Butler is the exception and she actually initiated contact with the UConn staff). Second, I can see Geno and CD not wanting to be involved in what's going on with the UNC program. Finally, I'm not sure Mavunga really fits the type of player Geno and CD look to bring in to the program. I could see where some of the extra stuff she brings to the court -- some technicals for taunting, that ridiculous free-throw routine -- turning off Geno and CD. She's good and what I like about her game (over Reimer's) is how aggressively she pursues the basketball. Still, I don't see UConn getting involved.

Finally, I doubt Geno feels a need to counter any buzz surrounding SC.

Reaction Score
I'm not a lawyer, but it is the NCAA... they do whatever they want, whenever they want. They even make up rules and apply them retroactively. Can't be more unconstitutional than that.

Reaction Score
Also, I forgot to mention Purdue had a solid 2015 class: signing Hoopgurlz #30, #31, and #41 player, then a verbal from #32 of 2016. However, that doesn't compare to the talent she'd play with at the other places, like Louisville.

Also, you forgot to add Paris Kea, who transferred from Vandy to UNC recently, and is a good PG/G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom