Stephanie Mavunga granted release to transfer | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Stephanie Mavunga granted release to transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Mavunga takes a good number of shots outside of the paint though.... Ive always considered her to be more of a PF.

I'm not sure she should take those shots.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
WCBB fans,
Is there anything that anyone is willing to go public with (other than speculation) to indicate that the UNC WCBB player transfers are being blocked or restricted by UNC in anyway? I would find this to be more disturbing than the pompousness of KSU in with Romero - worth of a public relations campaign.

Reaction Score
Tennessee just went through such a transfer process with Jannah Tucker, who wanted to transfer to a school closer to home. It works this way:
1) The player informs her coach of her desire to transfer and submits a list of schools or a school to which she woul like to transfer. (Jannah had a list of at least four schools.)
2) The player's existing institution will either approve or disapprove a possible transfer to each of the schools on her list. The school has total discretion to make these approvals or disapprovals. The player has no say. The school does not have to give a reason for disapproval nor is there an appeal process for the player. (Jannah's schools were all approved for contact by Tennessee.)
3) The player next contacts those approved schools she wants to investigate. Her list is not made public by the institution and no school (on or off the list) is permitted to contact her first based on hearsay.
4) The player is then free to make first contact with or transfer to any school on her approved list.
5) Once initial contact is made by the player, the school is free to enter into the transfer process with the student athlete if it wishes to do so.

Personally, I think the above process is flawed in that it can allow a coach's hard feelings in the heat of the moment to enter into the the player's transfer decision--and, if this should happen, there is no process for the player to challenge the school's decision. In other words, the player has no recourse against any unwarranted or unreasonable restrictions their school may have imposed on them.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tennessee just went through such a transfer process with Jannah Tucker, who wanted to transfer to a school closer to home. It works this way:
1) The player informs her coach of her desire to transfer and submits a list of schools or a school to which she woul like to transfer. (Jannah had a list of at least four schools.)
2) The player's existing institution will either approve or disapprove a possible transfer to each of the schools on her list. The school has total discretion to make these approvals or disapprovals. The player has no say. The school does not have to give a reason for disapproval nor is there an appeal process for the player. (Jannah's schools were all approved for contact by Tennessee.)
3) The player next contacts those approved schools she wants to investigate. Her list is not made public by the institution and no school (on or off the list) is permitted to contact her first based on hearsay.
4) The player is then free to make first contact with or transfer to any school on her approved list.
5) Once initial contact is made by the player, the school is free to enter into the transfer process with the student athlete if it wishes to do so.

Personally, I think the above process is flawed in that it can allow a coach's hard feelings in the heat of the moment to enter into the the player's transfer decision--and, if this should happen, there is no process for the player to challenge the school's decision. In other words, the player has no recourse against any unwarranted or unreasonable restrictions their school may have imposed on them.
Thanks very much for the eye opening rundown. A player that request a transfer must have a pretty good idea of where they want to go, but is restricted from contacting those school to see if there is mutual interest?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

There are variations on this process -
1. The athlete is not required to provide a list in all instances, and the school can in turn provide the athlete with a list they will not approve - or any combination of the above.
2. Some schools do have a formalized process of appeal for their athletes. This was true with KSU though the appeal process is pretty one-sided.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There are variations on this process -
1. The athlete is not required to provide a list in all instances, and the school can in turn provide the athlete with a list they will not approve - or any combination of the above.
2. Some schools do have a formalized process of appeal for their athletes. This was true with KSU though the appeal process is pretty one-sided.
Are any of these list (agreements) binding to the transferred player, departing school, receiving school? Who would enforce these agreements in this scenario: A player has decided they want to transfer, same player present a list to school, school modifies the list and grants a transfer, Player contacts an entirely different school not on any of the previous list, and decided to play at that school?

Reaction Score
You know, come to think of it, UNC isn't in terrible shape when you look further ahead.

Watts is supposed to be a legit McD's AA guard who IIRC can shoot. Walker, another McD's AA, is supposed to be one of the best shooters after KLS in her class, and she made a USA team last summer I believe. Paris Kea the transfer from Vandy seems like a great PG as she also made the USA team last summer I believe, and she'll have help at PG with returner Cherry, a small but promising local player.

They'll be a young squad next year. Xylina McDaniel, though versatile, will probably have to play more close to the hoop. Not sure when she got injured and if they have 1 or 2 years left of her.

I was not that impressed by the incoming Canadian forward Willock from her last FIBA outing, but was then told she had a nagging injury and is actually a solid, athletic player. Still plenty of time to make up ground with the 2016 recruiting class. If they can sign a solid post or two from there, they will actually potentially be in great shape, at least by the time the incoming freshmen are more experienced.

Obviously, losing all of that #1 c/o 2013 hurts. Had they known it would unravel like this, they might have been able to keep those big Day sisters (now at Syracuse after initially making early verbals to UNC). Furthermore, they might really gone after some local players like Mone Jones (suiting up for UVA), or even perhaps had a better shot at Jatarie White. But the cupboard is far from empty. They can rebuild with a couple more puzzle pieces and some time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I'm not high on Mavunga. This is a player who plays a little bit out of control for my liking. I see her only reaching true potential with good coaching.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Yes, Gray was blocked from contacting Tennessee by UNC, but was allowed to talk to Kentucky & South Carolina, Tennessee's SEC rivals. Tennessee was on the list submitted by Gray, and was crossed off the list by UNC. Some won't believe that, and that's ok. You don't have to.

I posted in that thread that Gray to USC was likely to happen shortly, and it happened later on Friday.

Mavunga was granted an unconditional release, so she can talk to any school she wants. I don't know if Tennessee will be one of them or not.

I'm not giving a source, as much as some would like it. Just know that when I do post, I do know what I'm talking about.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I'm not high on Mavunga. This is a player who plays a little bit out of control for my liking. I see her only reaching true potential with good coaching.

From what I've seen, I agree she is a bit raw. But at times her athleticism/springy legs/explosiveness looks to be almost up there with Nneka Ogwumike, and Mavunga is actually taller and stronger than Nneka. Still, I am by no means saying she is a Nneka Ogwumike at this point! Certainly not nearly as skilled, versatile, and efficient right now. Just that the physical potential is there. I recall there being mixed reviews of her in high school as well. IIRC, she put up big numbers (right behind Greenwell and Russell) for the U16 team and was ranked top 3-5 by some. But then other lackluster performers had other rankers place her outside of the top 20 even.

Reaction Score
Yes, Gray was blocked from contacting Tennessee by UNC, but was allowed to talk to Kentucky & South Carolina, Tennessee's SEC rivals. Tennessee was on the list submitted by Gray, and was crossed off the list by UNC. Some won't believe that, and that's ok. You don't have to.

I posted in that thread that Gray to USC was likely to happen shortly, and it happened later on Friday.

Mavunga was granted an unconditional release, so she can talk to any school she wants. I don't know if Tennessee will be one of them or not.

I'm not giving a source, as much as some would like it. Just know that when I do post, I do know what I'm talking about.

I have no basis in which to know whether you know anything. But since you claim to know that Tenn was on the list, how about telling us who else was on that list. If you can divulge one name on it, why not the rest? It might help your credibility if you could give us the entire list. If not, it would seem you got you information via heresay from the LV program, not the most believable source in this situation.

But let's assume you are right and only Tenn was on the "do not transfer to" list. Why? SH didn't disallow DD from transferring to Tenn? She is letting Mavunga go wherever she wants outside the ACC? Why should she suddenly change her attitude with respect to Gray and Tenn? Maybe someone connected to the LV program contacted Gray? Someone who has a history of promoting other players to join her? That makes more sense to me than the "Sylvia just hates Tenn" comments posted on some boards.

Reaction Score
Diamond DeShields has far too many personal ties to Tennessee to be denied the opportunity to join the Lady Vols. It would be akin to Coach Auriemma hypothetically preventing Shea Ralph from transferring to North Carolina.

Reaction Score

Touche. Time shall tell

Reaction Score
Diamond DeShields has far too many personal ties to Tennessee to be denied the opportunity to join the Lady Vols. It would be akin to Coach Auriemma hypothetically preventing Shea Ralph from transferring to North Carolina.

???????????????????????????

Still not over Shea picking Geno over Pat? :rolleyes:

Let's put aside the fact that her "tie" is that her mother attended the school. It isn't like she was born in TBA. I wasn't talking about DeShields' transfer. It's Gray's.

I was talking about why Gray was denied Tenn as a transfer school. It may well be that DeShields talked to her about transfering before Gray was ever given permission to talk to other schools and Hatchell found out. This wouldn't be the first time Diamond tried to lure others to a target school. This is just speculation but it's a better explanation than just saying that Sylvia just hates Tenn or is jealous of Tenn.

Reaction Score
Hate is an awfully strong word...I would hope Sylvia doesn't gate Tenn, BUT I do feel she has some distasteful feelings towards us. I think people forget Sylvia lost Cooper to UT as well, and then to follow up with Diamond DeShields, hell I would be upset too, however IF true, what other reason can someone come up with for Hatchell blocking Gray from talking to Tenn? Especially if the girl submitted the list with UT as one of her teams. Idk if it's true or not but like I said if so, you can clearly tell there is some type of bitterness with Hatchell regarding Tenn.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
At this point, I don't think it's important what Sylvia thinks.
She's toast as well as the program.
There will be other requests; doesn't one think that the recruits are reconsidering.
The U could even decide to cancel the program for a year and start again with a new, Ms clean coach...Shea?
And I wouldn't be surprised to see Sylvia retire in the next week or so.
The question if all this happens is...will the players be allowed to compete this season?
I think so.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Hate is an awfully strong word...I would hope Sylvia doesn't gate Tenn, BUT I do feel she has some distasteful feelings towards us. I think people forget Sylvia lost Cooper to UT as well, and then to follow up with Diamond DeShields, hell I would be upset too, however IF true, what other reason can someone come up with for Hatchell blocking Gray from talking to Tenn? Especially if the girl submitted the list with UT as one of her teams. Idk if it's true or not but like I said if so, you can clearly tell there is some type of bitterness with Hatchell regarding Tenn.

SH just spent a year staring death in the face. Now, I realize not everyone reacts the same way to given situations. I also realize we are dealing with the woman in charge of a program that says she had no idea of the shenanigans going on. So, I say all this with the awareness that her response to all this transfer business might not be the ordinary.

However, from my experience with people, staring death in the face changes people. You realize what is important. You have a greater appreciation for each new day. I dare say you tend to be a kinder, more compassionate person as a response to it. All that being said, I have a hard time believing SH would limit Gray, and give Mavunga an unconditional release. It is even more absurd to think this given TN does not really need guard play, they need post play. So, if she were really gonna stick it to TN as some here seem to think, I would think the exact opposite would have occurred to what is being talked about.

I tend to think that either one of the two pieces of information people have are incorrect. Either Mavunga did not get an unconditional release, or Gray's was not limited. Makes absolutely no sense to handle them differently. None.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't see the problem with Hatchell hating TN. Hell, everybody should hate TN. If she actually did block Gray from transferring to TN, then she will have actually gained a little respect back from me. (a little)

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
I have no basis in which to know whether you know anything. But since you claim to know that Tenn was on the list, how about telling us who else was on that list. If you can divulge one name on it, why not the rest? It might help your credibility if you could give us the entire list. If not, it would seem you got you information via heresay from the LV program, not the most believable source in this situation.

But let's assume you are right and only Tenn was on the "do not transfer to" list. Why? SH didn't disallow DD from transferring to Tenn? She is letting Mavunga go wherever she wants outside the ACC? Why should she suddenly change her attitude with respect to Gray and Tenn? Maybe someone connected to the LV program contacted Gray? Someone who has a history of promoting other players to join her? That makes more sense to me than the "Sylvia just hates Tenn" comments posted on some boards.

Did you not read my post? I gave you two others, Kentucky & South Carolina.

I'm not giving you an entire list.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
All that being said, I have a hard time believing SH would limit Gray, and give Mavunga an unconditional release. I would think the exact opposite would have occurred to what is being talked about.
I tend to think that either one of the two pieces of information people have are incorrect. Either Mavunga did not get an unconditional release, or Gray's was not limited. Makes absolutely no sense to handle them differently. None.
I was thinking the same thing-that it makes no sense to handle Gray’s and Mavunga’s release differently until I read a quote from SH posted here which indicates (I’m paraphrasing) that some of her players were “thinking” about transferring. Maybe SH though she could stem/stop the tide with Gray and Washington by the time Mavunga came to her office she realized she cannot stop this tide. X could be next and there has already been much speculation that SH will retire.

Reaction Score
So many many folks (primarily Vol fans) commenting with certainty about what Sylvia thinks, her motives, her dastardly actions, etc. People proclaiming that Sylvia banned so and so with absolutely no proof or source given. People demanding that Pat not be criticized when illness struck who have no compunction about criticizing Sylvia under similar circumstances. So many "insiders" who, in reality, don't know diddly squat.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just as I predicted hours BEFORE Mavunga's announcement...
Many of us ( Beemer, Triad….) have been speculating about UNC transfers for weeks now.
I’m hoping the boneyard rule about NOT speculating about player transfer only applies to UCONN players. With UNC current situation, would there be any interest in any of the current UNC players? Personally I like Mavunga, Gray, and the incoming freshmen Watts the most.

Posted June 4th 2015.
UNC still has some very good players available. X for example may have 2 years of eligibility left- I believe there was mutual interest between her and UCONN at one point. Watts the incoming Freshmen has really grown on me lately via her play in the McDonalds all-star game and Maya’s Jordan classic.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So many many folks (primarily Vol fans) commenting with certainty about what Sylvia thinks, her motives, her dastardly actions, etc. People proclaiming that Sylvia banned so and so with absolutely no proof or source given. People demanding that Pat not be criticized when illness struck who have no compunction about criticizing Sylvia under similar circumstances. So many "insiders" who, in reality, don't know diddly squat.
I disagree completely that the circumstance are similar. Pat did not "knowingly" for over a decade engage in academic fraud-SH did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom