Starting Quarterback | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Starting Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Break the cycle and give it to Welliver.
I only saw all the candidates throw the ball a handful of times and Cole was clearly the best. Admittedly, I have no clue what it looks like in practice. But let's go back to DanO's freshman year. The OL was considered a weakness but the Huskies had a senior QB to take the beating that year. But the guy up and quit late and Orlovsky was thrown to the wolves. IIRC, it turned out to be the best thing for the team.

Reaction Score
I only saw all the candidates throw the ball a handful of times and Cole was clearly the best. Admittedly, I have no clue what it looks like in practice. But let's go back to DanO's freshman year. The OL was considered a weakness but the Huskies had a senior QB to take the beating that year. But the guy up and quit late and Orlovsky was thrown to the wolves. IIRC, it turned out to be the best thing for the team.
He wasn’t actually. There was a redshirt freshman who started. Orlovsky came in in a few early games for a series here or there. Then the other guy got hurt and Orlovsky got the job for good. Well except for every year when Edsall would announce the job was open to competition. LOL. The other guy ended up as a decent receiver.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’m not a bot. My honest to goodness impression based on what I saw, plus my experience playing/watching football for 50+ years.

Not calling you a bot. I said AI could scour this board and write it because it's the same old song and dance any time fans get a chance to see the team practice.
QB's inaccurate, WR's drop balls, D is ahead of O, there are good TE's who will be a weapon, etc.
And then the season starts and the D gets shredded, offense is dog poop, TE's are non-existent.
If Welliver can throw the best pass and doesn't look rattled, give him a chance.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He wasn’t actually. There was a redshirt freshman who started. Orlovsky came in in a few early games for a series here or there. Then the other guy got hurt and Orlovsky got the job for good. Well except for every year when Edsall would announce the job was open to competition. LOL. The other guy ended up as a decent receiver.
Yeah, that's right. I feel bad I forgot his name. He was a true a team player.

Reaction Score
Moorhead recruited Nebrich and fit his system. GDL wanted to run an NFL offense which did not work with that team. They were a little full of themselves coming from NFL to UConn.
Lol, don’t you have to have NFL players to run an NFL offense? Moorhead recruited Nebrich because in high school he passed for almost 8000 yds and rushed for about 2500 yds.

Reaction Score
As much as I think it would be cool for the 6'6 freshman out of Texas to be our starter, we're 2 1/2 weeks away from gameday and he's still playing with the threes. Unless there's some major change, it appears to me that Sammis & Mora are pretty set on Evers or Joe, leaning Evers. Again I would love to see it, but we would've seen him playing with at least some of the 1s if that were within the realm of possibility for game one.

Reaction Score
As much as I think it would be cool for the 6'6 freshman out of Texas to be our starter, we're 2 1/2 weeks away from gameday and he's still playing with the threes. Unless there's some major change, it appears to me that Sammis & Mora are pretty set on Evers or Joe, leaning Evers. Again I would love to see it, but we would've seen him playing with at least some of the 1s if that were within the realm of possibility for game one.
If it's Joe, it's gonna be a LONG season.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UConn has not had a QB since DO who has proven the ability to throw the long ball accurately enough to open up the offense.
In practice and on film, Welliver has shown the ability to do so. Is he a pure pocket passer or can he throw while moving/scrambling? If the answer is yes, he can run and throw, then I say he needs some appreciable P/T very early on. If he is a pocket passer then the O line better be good enough to offer him some time to stand in there and make his throw. A good arm should not be wasted.
When I first saw films of this kid in HS, I said he needs to come to UConn and play right away. I haven't changed my mind yet.

Reaction Score
Evers is the guy, he was recruited to be the guy, he's getting a bag commensurate of being the guy, storss central confirmed hes the guy. Nothing to debate really.

You’re lawst.

Reaction Score
It's not uncommon for a QB to take a giant leap forward from 1 year to another. Players mature at different rates. Some get better, some stay the same, some get worse. College football is loaded with QB walk on's, + inexperienced players who take jobs from past year starters. The odds are low that week 1 starter will stay healthy + be productive the entire season. Next man up. Thats why you need depth. Mora will make the right decision.

Reaction Score

He’s with the 2s.

Evers is banged up. Welliver is probably sharing reps with the 1s at this point.

Reaction Score
Warde was an awful AD.
I think Nebrich was potentially a good quarterback. But I agree that he really wasn’t ready as a true freshman. And let’s not confuse performance at Fordham with playing FBS football at the old Big East level. Fordham was and is a mid level FCS program. Under the transfer rules at the time it did make sense to redshirt him. The rules are different now so it might make sense to go with a freshman even if he isn’t ready. But His real issue was he was recruited by Edsall. Pasqualoni and DeLeon wanted their guy. Not sure he ever had a future at UConn once the coaching staff changed.

Finally, I may be naive but I’m not ready to panic over 1 open scrimmage.
Edsall didn’t have much to do with the recruiting of Nebrich. IIRC it was Moorehead who flew down to Virginia for the home visit and made the kid an offer.

Reaction Score
Edsall didn’t have much to do with the recruiting of Nebrich. IIRC it was Moorehead who flew down to Virginia for the home visit and made the kid an offer.
That might be true but he was recruited under Edsall.

Reaction Score
UConn has not had a QB since DO who has proven the ability to throw the long ball accurately enough to open up the offense.
Disagree. Enders threw a pretty ball. Lotenzen could zip it, esp his first year and Casey C had a short but great run.

Some might argue we’ve not had deep threat wideouts in a decade. Hard to throw the long ball when wr can’t get off the line.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I watched Endres light up Baylor at Baylor back in the day. Really good QB. Sad what happened with him afterward. Today it seems we're blessed with more QB talent/depth then we've had in years. I trust the coaches know how to manage it in terms of short and long-term success on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom