Starting Quarterback | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Starting Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some you are saying don’t start Welliver game 1 if they think he is the guy but will crucify Mora/Sammis/Robbins if they start someone else and they suck against Maryland. You start who you feel gives you the best chance to win the game. If that’s Welliver let him take his lumps and grow

Reaction Score
It’s not Welliver, period.

And no, we’ve taken lumps for a decade and not grown. It’s time for wins, period.
I agree but people saying to trot out who the coaches think is QB2 for Maryland is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. You play who gives you the best chance if you don’t you’ll lose the locker room quickly.

Reaction Score
I was at saturday's practice. I came away very impressed with Welliver.
With that said. This was only one practice. We are not there every day.
Also, QBs can't run in these scrimmages. The whistle is blown very quickly.
Don't be surprised with Evers @ maryland with Fagnano atQB2.

What we see for merrimack could be different.

Reaction Score
I agree but people saying to trot out who the coaches think is QB2 for Maryland is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. You play who gives you the best chance if you don’t you’ll lose the locker room quickly.
That’s not what I hear people saying. I think they’re saying our best chance in the opener is not with a freshman QB who’s never taken a snap in a college game, even if he has a higher upside.

Reaction Score
Evers is who will start and Fagnano will be the backup. They will try to redshirt Welliver, but he is talented and might be the best pure passer in 10-plus years.
Redshirting in the NIL portal era is essentially using a scholarship to season a promising player for another program. If players happen to be exceptionally good in a farm football program like ours they're also likely gone. The goal should be to maximize their contribution each season while they're here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m sure CW looked great. And I really hope he develops here.

But let’s not confuse a few series against our backups while wearing a red jersey with playing a BIG D in opener. Let’s give the kid time to acclimate and grow

Reaction Score
Endres was best QB after DO

After he left we got Trick Shot instead.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Disagree. Enders threw a pretty ball. Lotenzen could zip it, esp his first year and Casey C had a short but great run.

Some might argue we’ve not had deep threat wideouts in a decade. Hard to throw the long ball when wr can’t get off the line.
Thats fine but I am addressing accuracy along with length - Welliver has that. Quite sure Lorenzen and Enders lacked the accuracy that Welliver has shown. Loved CC but as you said it was too short a stay, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
That’s not what I hear people saying. I think they’re saying our best chance in the opener is not with a freshman QB who’s never taken a snap in a college game, even if he has a higher upside.

Evers has taken one snap.

Reaction Score
Evers is who will start and Fagnano will be the backup. They will try to redshirt Welliver, but he is talented and might be the best pure passer in 10-plus years.
Episode 4 hit my FB feed this morning. Evers and the QB coach were miked. A good episode. Feeling good about him as the statter against UM.

Reaction Score
Based on how Evers looks if they start him they will probably lose the locker room.
Yes, they would lose the locker room if they start someone clearly inferior to someone else. However, those on the outside have only seen one public practice, one that Evers was not 100% for. The coaches and players will see four weeks of skill development, decision making ability, and effectiveness. You may not trust their judgement, I do.

Reaction Score
Episode 4 hit my FB feed this morning. Evers and the QB coach were miked. A good episode. Feeling good about him as the statter against UM.
Yes. A good watch, and it made me feel better about not seeing much from Evers on Saturday. My guess is that they put this out to reassure us faithful that Evers should be good as advertised. Are they going to go with him if he does not give us the best chance to win? No. But I am convinced they still think he has the greatest upside if healthy.

Reaction Score
Yes, they would lose the locker room if they start someone clearly inferior to someone else. However, those on the outside have only seen one public practice, one that Evers was not 100% for. The coaches and players will see four weeks of skill development, decision making ability, and effectiveness. You may not trust their judgement, I do.

What have they done to earn that?

Reaction Score
Unless you are very deeply entrenched within the locker room I don't see how you can make that statement.

Based on the eye test and public comments from players it’s a distinct possibility.

Reaction Score
So, you were at Saturday's scrimmage? Additionally, what players' comments?

No but between comments here. Comments in the media such as NEFJ and others it's clear he didn't look great.

Plus it's UConn. We have historically bad QB play and make strange choices. It sounds like a case of we're paying for him so we have to play him. Which if true is insane.

One of our DBs said resoundingly that Welliver was the best. Hard to believe that's an isolated belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom