Starting Quarterback | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Starting Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I watched Endres light up Baylor at Baylor back in the day. Really good QB. Sad what happened with him afterward. Today it seems we're blessed with more QB talent/depth then we've had in years. I trust the coaches know how to manage it in terms of short and long-term success on the field.

Just watched the 2009 UConn-Baylor FB highlights for the first time in awhile (Baylor FB link below). Hopefully, we see some parallels with the 2024 Husky team.

The 2009 Baylor game was the first start for QB Cody Endres. It was on the road in TX against a Big XII team, lead by RGIII, a future Heisman trophy winner. In retrospect, there was so much talent on the 2009 Husky team that later beat ND and SC, but the X factor in the Baylor win was the UConn QB who stepped up in his first start and the entire team rallied around (so many names).

This is the Husky team I remember best and I hope the 2024 team shows out like they did.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I love that a guy who presumably earned the right to start thru 9-10 practices has to earn it in public practice or season is lost.
Would have been nice if he showed something.

Reaction Score
No but between comments here. Comments in the media such as NEFJ and others it's clear he didn't look great.

Plus it's UConn. We have historically bad QB play and make strange choices. It sounds like a case of we're paying for him so we have to play him. Which if true is insane.

One of our DBs said resoundingly that Welliver was the best. Hard to believe that's an isolated belief.
UConn has had a few gems among QB’s, DO and even Cochran had great moments even in the hands of coaches who didn’t know how to use them. There were a few more who came and went quickly when they realized the same thing. Mora and Sammis strike me as football minds who won’t let that happen. If I’m right, Welliver gets the start, even if he is a freshman, or Mora uses Evers and Welliver in a platooning offense.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Just watched the 2009 UConn-Baylor FB highlights for the first time in awhile (Baylor FB link below). Hopefully, we see some parallels with the 2024 Husky team.

The 2009 Baylor game was the first start for QB Cody Endres. It was on the road in TX against a Big XII team, lead by RGIII, a future Heisman trophy winner. In retrospect, there was so much talent on the 2009 Husky team that later beat ND and SC, but the X factor in the Baylor win was the UConn QB who stepped up in his first start and the entire team rallied around (so many names).

This is the Husky team I remember best and I hope the 2024 team shows out like they did.

Endres was the real deal.

DO, him, and Cochran are probably our best slingers ever.

Reaction Score

He did look good handing it off. Throwing it, not so much.

Reaction Score
I love that a guy who presumably earned the right to start thru 9-10 practices has to earn it in public practice or season is lost.

The info from those 9-10 practices was hardly glowing.

Try again.

Or I guess we’ll just find out now won’t we.

I hope the defense is good this year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Zoo, to clarify:

I'm not objecting to the idea that Evers may end up being at a minimum disappointing and that he could likely end up as more than merely disappointing.

My objection was to the idea that the staff could lose the locker room in game one of this season if we didn't start Welliver against Maryland.

Reaction Score
Zoo, to clarify:

I'm not objecting to the idea that Evers may end up being at a minimum disappointing and that he could likely end up as more than merely disappointing.

My objection was to the idea that the staff could lose the locker room in game one of this season if we didn't start Welliver against Maryland.
Yeah, that wouldn't happen. My guess, based solely on the alignment of the stars, is that Welliver was told right from the get go that he would be most probably be red shirting in order to take care in his development, improve in certain areas, and put on muscle mass. The implied contract is that he will stay as long as he and his parents think he is making progress. I see no need to play him immediately if the coaches don't want to.

Reaction Score
And good decision maker, iirc.
I'm not sure that we ever had a quarterback that could read the field better than Casey other than Danny O. When the extra pass rusher came from his left he always threw the ball to his left. If the rush came from his right he always threw to his right. He had a so so arm but he was a great student of the game. It was very disappointing that we only got a one season of him on the field.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that we ever had a quarterback that could read the field better than Casey other than Danny O. When the extra pass rusher came from his left he always threw the ball to his left. If the rush came from his right he always threw to his right. He had a so so arm but he was a great student of the game. It was very disappointing that we only got a one season of him on the field.
I think his injuries we a big setback for us. His play late in the season once Pasqualoni was fired was excellent.

Reaction Score
I think folks sleep a bit on Sherriffs. Played 3 seasons, two for Diaco and only really one full season. Was having a very good year with Lashlee before he got hurt, Completed 66% of his passes, had among the highest yards per attempt, 3:1 Td to Int. finished top 5 for program in total passing yards and TDs. Only Qb with multiple 400 yd games in 1A/BCS/FBS. Ran for a 1k yards...Tough young man and for reasons was far more productive than others mentioned.

Reaction Score
Bryant Shirreffs was a very good QB. Could have done a lot more on a good team.

Casey Cochran was a huge talent. His touch and ability to put a soft ball into a tight place with no threat of being intercepted was uncanny. He may have had pre-injury McKenzie Milton level skills, which is saying something. I felt sick wondering if he could have saved this program and gotten us into a P5 if he weren’t hurt.

Reaction Score

We won because it was a different Era but one thing that stands out is how boring the offense looked still... back when you could be boring.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
We won because it was a different Era but one thing that stands out is how boring the offense looked still... back when you could be boring.
Sort of agree. But to me, watching Todman and Dixon slash and pound the defense that day was very cool to watch; two 1,000+ yd RBs that year. Why risk doing anything crazier (ie. out of character) if you're putting points on the board, keeping RGIII and his O off the field, and have a D backing you up like we had in 2009. We outplayed a very wide open O lead by RGIII, on the road, with a QB in his first FBS start. Anyway, I basically teed that game up because I think there may be some parallels in two weeks. I guess we'll find out.

Reaction Score
Sort of agree. But to me, watching Todman and Dixon slash and pound the defense that day was very cool to watch; two 1,000+ yd RBs that year. Why risk doing anything crazier (ie. out of character) if you're putting points on the board, keeping RGIII and his O off the field, and have a D backing you up like we had in 2009. We outplayed a very wide open O lead by RGIII, on the road, with a QB in his first FBS start. Anyway, I basically teed that game up because I think there may be some parallels in two weeks. I guess we'll find out.
Not sure that the BY could handle the euphoric rush if it did.

Reaction Score
I don't care who starts at this point. I'm just ready to watch some UConn Football already!

I think 25-30 attempts is what's needed to keep the run game going. As long as the receivers don't drop easy passes like they did last year then we should be much improved on offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom