Starting Quarterback | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Starting Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The fact that Ward fired those two mid-season tells you all you need to know. They had lost control of the program.
He shoulda canned them the second season 2 ended. It was clear then he wasn't doing the job. Warde has as much to blame for the plight of the FB program as anyone. Through omission and commission.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Disappointed in the reports about Evers. Do we hand the keys to the true frosh? I’ll be so discouraged if we brought in Evers and Welliver, ditched Charlton and Fagnano is still the starter

Reaction Score
He shoulda canned them the second season 2 ended. It was clear then he wasn't doing the job. Warde has as much to blame for the plight of the FB as anyone. Through omission and commission.
Warde was an awful AD.
I think Nebrich was potentially a good quarterback. But I agree that he really wasn’t ready as a true freshman. And let’s not confuse performance at Fordham with playing FBS football at the old Big East level. Fordham was and is a mid level FCS program. Under the transfer rules at the time it did make sense to redshirt him. The rules are different now so it might make sense to go with a freshman even if he isn’t ready. But His real issue was he was recruited by Edsall. Pasqualoni and DeLeon wanted their guy. Not sure he ever had a future at UConn once the coaching staff changed.

Finally, I may be naive but I’m not ready to panic over 1 open scrimmage.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You sure you are a UConn fan? Panicking at the end of the second week is what we do. For more than a decade. Where is the fun in keeping calm?

The crazy part is it's been the better part of a decade since UConn has had a known, decent, FBS level QB1 at the start of camp.
In others words, he may be crazy, but he ain't wrong.

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember when he walked out of Fordham he was their all time leading passer?
Nebrich became a star (that should've been up in Storrs, CT)... My nephew is going into his SR at his alma mater ( Lake Braddock in Burke, VA ... other notable alumn - UNC MBB coach Hubert Davis... Women's Soccer great Mia Hamm )... He's still pretty notable down there for what he did in HS slinging it....

Reaction Score
I’m not ready to panic over one scrimmage at a single point in time. Yes, if that what our offense will look like this year we will be in trouble. However, we are in the middle of summer camp when the D is always ahead of the O. This is because O is more choreographed in general and the install takes longer.

Also a number of those expected to play regularly were on the shelf/limited on Saturday. This included Evers, who looked to be hampered by groin issue, and then maybe did something to his hand. It was clear they shelved him for the rest of the practice because of either/or. Let’s cut him some slack.

There were also some encouraging takeaways. If the D isn’t notably better compared to last year I will eat my hat. Fagnano is a more traditional in-the-pocket QB who can be a good game manager type. Weliver has the physical tools — he will be fun to watch when his brain is ready. The young receivers who return from last year are good — it will be interesting to see how playing time with the transfers and them will evolve. Hansen looks healed and the new TE (#88) on Saturday is going to play. I think Cam and Victor are going to be a good 1/2 punch.

Im confident we will be a better team this year. Keep the faith!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’m not ready to panic over one scrimmage at a single point in time. Yes, if that what our offense will look like this year we will be in trouble. However, we are in the middle of summer camp when the D is always ahead of the O. This is because O is more choreographed in general and the install takes longer.

Also a number of those expected to play regularly were on the shelf/limited on Saturday. This included Evers, who looked to be hampered by groin issue, and then maybe did something to his hand. It was clear they shelved him for the rest of the practice because of either/or. Let’s cut him some slack.

There were also some encouraging takeaways. If the D isn’t notably better compared to last year I will eat my hat. Fagnano is a more traditional in-the-pocket QB who can be a good game manager type. Weliver has the physical tools — he will be fun to watch when his brain is ready. The young receivers who return from last year are good — it will be interesting to see how playing time with the transfers and them will evolve. Hansen looks healed and the new TE (#88) on Saturday is going to play. I think Cam and Victor are going to be a good 1/2 punch.

Im confident we will be a better team this year. Keep the faith!

AI could have written this after reading posts from past decade.

Right now UConn offense and QB is squarely in " meet the new boss. Same as the old boss" mode of] operation.

No clear starter and 3-4 players taking reps instead of one.

So depressing watching definition of insanity play out once again.

Reaction Score

Right now UConn offense and QB is squarely in " meet the new boss. Same as the old boss" mode of] operation.

I’m not a bot. My honest to goodness impression based on what I saw, plus my experience playing/watching football for 50+ years.

Reaction Score
The fact that Ward fired those two mid-season tells you all you need to know. They had lost control of the program.
Ward waited too long, should have fired them right after season 2. Replacing Moorhead with GDL should’ve been another red flag.

Reaction Score
I also don’t buy that there isn’t a clear #1 quarterback. I’m pretty sure there is and the rest is just coach speak. Back in the day I remember the BC coach saying the qb job was open when the incumbent was Doug Flutie. Edsall said it when Dan O was heading into his senior year. It is just what coaches say. I’m sure if you look closely you’ll find others saying the same thing about their quarterbacks. My guess is assuming everyone is healthy, the quarterbacks will go Evers, Fagnano, McDonald, Welliver.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
We didn’t have Jim Mora as head coach when Boyle came to Storrs. Coaching played a role in the Boyle story. As it turned out Boyle is still playing for the Texans, last I checked.
Still one of the strangest football careers I have ever seen. Wasn’t good in college. Isn’t good in the NFL…yet still collecting an NFL paycheck.

Good for him.

Reaction Score

Break the cycle and give it to Welliver.

Reaction Score
Still one of the strangest football careers I have ever seen. Wasn’t good in college. Isn’t good in the NFL…yet still collecting an NFL paycheck.

Good for him.
It is strange. I think his longevity is based on his ability to sling it (in practice) and his ability to move around (in practice). Can’t have the starting qb throwing to those great athletes all the time. He gives them a good look at an NFL arm (in practice). Plus he can run a good scout team.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
It makes sense to start Fagnano vs Maryland even if Welliver is perceived to have the highest ceiling as a passer. Starting a true freshman vs Maryland when we will be a huge underdog makes little sense.
Why does it make little sense? Start the player who gives us the best shot at winning regardless of year in school.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I disagree, strategizing for the entire 2024 season is what we should be doing. I'm still mad that Carter got injured for the season in a joke of a game versus Michigan. Will Welliver even have time to throw the ball versus Maryland? and can our WR's get open? I'd prefer to see Welliver get his feet wet in game 2. I agree with the previous poster, throwing a true freshman QB "into the fire" in August would be asinine.
The season is defined by the next game. Play the players who will put you in position to win the next game.

Reaction Score
Nebrich was a very good QB, had loads more potential than McEntee could ever have. Nebrich would have been the starting QB if Joe Moorehead hadn’t been demoted from OC to qb’s coach, when GDL was brought in. Moorhead knew the potential that Nebrich had. McEntee was 2011’s version of Fagnano.
Moorhead recruited Nebrich and fit his system. GDL wanted to run an NFL offense which did not work with that team. They were a little full of themselves coming from NFL to UConn.

Reaction Score
Why does it make little sense? Start the player who gives us the best shot at winning regardless of year in school.
It is not unheard of to hold off starting a true freshman quarterback for a few games then bring him in to finish the season. I know Eli Manning sat for a few games before getting the reins in college. There have been several others too.

Reaction Score
Break the cycle and give it to Welliver.
Don’t get me wrong. If Welliver ends up being the guy that will maximize our win total this year, play him. We are in no position to hold him back to “develop.”

Overall, I was hoping to see some signs that point to who is the starter vs. Maryland. I didn’t. Is that because Evers was not 100%? IDK. For what it’s worth, Evers was with the ones before he was shelved for the day.

Reaction Score
The season is defined by the next game. Play the players who will put you in position to win the next game.

Because we are likely to get shut down completely by Maryland. Not a good way for a freshman to start his career, especially when he might be taking some big hits. We will need a QB who will get the ball out quickly.

Is this board completely oblivious to the fact that we will be a huge underdog vs Maryland? This isn't 2012.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Groin injuries can take awhile to heal if that is what it is. But if Evers was with the ones, he is likely number one in the rack and stack.

I think it makes sense to start Welliver against Merimack if Evers can't go. UM? Whichever QB gives UConn the best chance. That may not be the most talented guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom